main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania The Hobbit

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Corellian_Outrider, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Bit over a month to go before The Battle of the Five Armies be released in our region (26th December). This will be the final chapter to the Hobbit trilogy and also the last film based in Middle-Earth we will get (for this point in time, who knows what will happen in 20-30 years time).

It will be released in several formats; 2D, 3D and High Frame Rate 3D (runs at 48 FPS that gives a sharper, more smoother and immersive experience) and be in most cinemas, including the IMAX.

I'll update this post with more information when it is available.

Who else here is keen on seeing it? What did you think of the previous ones?

2. I_am_Kooky

I_am_Kooky Sth Aust. Chapter Representative star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    I will be going to see it! It looks good, the first two where rather good I thought.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  3. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I enjoyed the first two and the appendices content too like seeing the White Council.

Have you been seeing them the HFR versions?

4. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Wife and I will be there for it, we've enjoyed the last two. Not sure if we'll see it in 3D though.

5. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    If you do see it 3D, I recommend seeing the Higher Frame Rate version as I find it to be a more superior experience than just 3D.

It feels like we have come to the end of the journey with the Middle-Earth films as this will be the final one in the foreseeable future. There probably won't be any more films based on other Tolkien works though Ian McKellen does suspect something. Either way, I am looking forward to seeing this one and all the extended versions back to back…. and also for Peter Jackson work on the next Tintin film.

With the Battle of the Five Armies… I'm keen to see Elrond/Saruman side of things though there is one character I have been dying to see... ever since they had announced the actor to portray him... and that is King Dain Ironfoot II of the Iron Hills (Billy Connolly)

6. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    I'm not sure if they'd adapt The Silmarillion or any of his sons books

7. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    They cannot do the unless they have the rights to do it and at the moment that is not going to happen anytime soon..

Although, there might be more stories to still tell with what they have. Back when they were in preproduction of The Hobbit, there was talk about a 'bridge' film that connects the events of The Hobbit to Lord of the Rings. They do have the rights to the appendices from LOTR which is how we got the rest of the events that took place during The Hobbit like the White Council and the events at Dol Guldur (That was going to be in a revised edition of The Hobbit book but found its way into the LOTR Appendices instead). They could do a film that covers how Arwen and Aragorn met and their courtship or even further back to the Second Age about the fall of Númenor, Elendil and his sons sail to Eriador, the founding of the kingdoms of Arnor and Gondor and the Last Alliance against Sauron. Those are possibilities about what they could do without using the other books. However, they will have to be careful how they tread with those concepts to not borrow content from the books they do no have the rights too that aren't mentioned in the appendices… thats if they will do further films in the future.

Though, I think right now they want a break from it all (after the extended edition) and move on to other projects like Dambusters, the second Tintin film or something else next.

8. Suvlaco

Suvlaco Jedi Master star 1

Mar 13, 2005
    I highly doubt we'll get any more Middle-Earth films in the near future. PJ seems quite tired and strung out on it, and I think most would agree The Hobbit films, while good, certainly aren't up to the standards of the LOTR trilogy (which are dear to my heart!). Not to mention given the sheer amount of time dedicated to making the films, I'd like to see those involved branch out in to things they'd like to be doing (PJ on Doctor Who please!)

9. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
  10. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Personally, I think Jackson needs to move on. As mentioned above, The Hobbit movies are good but not LOTR's great. The next Tintin movie is long overdue and I'd love to see a remake of The Dambusters. The original is a classic :D

11. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Jackson does need a break from it all and he originally was only going to produce the films. They had Guillermo Del Toro lined up to direct the Hobbit films until issues with the rights between MGM/New Line and then the bankruptcy of MGM needed to be settled before the films could go into production and the period got too long and Del Toro had to step away to do other projects and Jackson stepped in to helm the project. If they ever do decide to revisit Middle-Earth (and not do a reboot/remake) there are some stories left to tell and they could get a different director to helm the process.

I loved the first Tintin film (I'm a fan of the series) and cannot wait for more of the collaboration between Jackson and Spielberg on that property. The Dambusters should be great too and I think he has a few other projects developing too.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  12. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Dambusters, another classic for him to ruin :p

13. Pauljwiz

Pauljwiz Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2014
    Wasn't too excited by the final film, but after seeing more of the released clips I am starting to get back into it all and will definitely be going with the missus to watch it :)

14. Suvlaco

Suvlaco Jedi Master star 1

Mar 13, 2005
    I've heard it's superior to the previous two (my brother saw it in London a few days past) so that's promising. I think after LOTR I had such high expectations (fairly enough) so was let down. I found Part 2 to be the superior film, so I'm hoping this one can top that.

15. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    That does sound promising and I am keen to see how it will all connect together. The pacing for Desolation of Smaug does run at a much faster pace than the others… it does make me wonder what was cut out of it (, yet to see the extended editions and will pick them up as a trilogy set next November).

You are right about the bar and expectations raised due to the success of the LOTR films. I think we have to take to heart what Yoda says about "Must unlearn what you have learned" in order to properly enjoy them for what they are instead of what they aren't. It is safe to say that these films would have been very different if Jackson had the rights to them first instead of LOTR.

16. MrCody

MrCody Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 4, 2013
    Will defs go see it, Enjoyed both Hobbit films, My friends and i will go watch it

17. I_am_Kooky

Jun 28, 2004
    I enjoyed it!
    I find 3D has this hyper real look, like is soo real its fake, kind alike its too sharp. or is that just me?

18. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    The Higher Frame Rate version is much more sharper, brings out the textures more and feels like it is being performed live. Not just you. I, personally, think it is great and pulls me more into the world but for some people it takes them out of it. Everyone's eyes are different and how they process imagery so each to their own.

I try to be spoiler free with my impressions but I saw it yesterday and enjoyed it too. I wished it was longer to expand upon some elements but will have to wait till the Extended Edition to come out November for that. I thought Billy Connolly was brilliant and wanted to see more of him. Great to see Christopher Lee and Hugo Weaving again. Music was great, I do enjoy the threads and seeing the end game for this and how it connects to the Lord of the Rings. Yeah, I'll need to see it again.

19. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    I'm seeing it this Sunday hopefully :)

20. I_am_Kooky

Jun 28, 2004
    Oh yes Billy Connolly was really good! and I just kept thinking, so when does Dooku turn to the dark side?
    Well thankyou for the explanation to the realisticness. . .I don't mind it, but I do see how its different from other movies I have seen.

21. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Finally saw it with the wife. We both agreed it was the best in the trilogy :)

22. I_am_Kooky

Jun 28, 2004
    It really was, I am glad you liked it JD :)

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  23. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I'm glad that more and more people enjoyed it. Which version of the film did you get to see JD?

I do think it was great that they did that to the credits again. I wished I got to stay through the credits to see all of the concept art and character portraits, though the company I was with left and I didn't want to be the only one left holding back the group. At least the home release be a few months away.

I did find a good interview with PJ that is worth checking out.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  24. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    We just saw it in 2D. There wasn't a 3D session that suited us unfortunately.

25. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    The theatrical version is coming out on DVD on the 26th March. Anyone going to get it or wait for the Extended Editions?