main
side
curve
  1. A Message For Everyone:

TCW vs. Rebels debates are not allowed in the Television forum. As in, discussions that descend into TCW/Rebels (or any show vs any other show) bashing/gushing will be subject to Mod action. Contrasting the themes, story lines, characters, etc. between the shows is allowed (welcomed, even). "Versus" debates/arguments, however, are a deal-breaker.
  2. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Classics The Holiday Special - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Exar_Xan, Feb 23, 2003.

1. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It's tragic that a Holiday special about Life day, being so bad that i wanted to take mine. :p

2. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Not the Holiday Special that must not be named!
    This makes Jar Jar seem a lot better lol

3. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Force Ghost star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Can't even compare Jar Jar to that abomination.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett PT Interview Host/All-Around Good Guy star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Feb 18, 2014

Jar Jar was not that bad IMO.

5. SatineNaberrie

Jan 28, 2014
    Jar Jar is okay sometimes. In AOTC and ROTS I thought he was okay. The Holiday Special should not have been made imo.
    A Jar Jar movie would probably be better.

I wonder is Disney will ever make a Star Wars Holiday special, I think it can be done if done right.

6. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Force Ghost star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    No one needs to ever attempt to make another Star Wars Holiday Special.

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett PT Interview Host/All-Around Good Guy star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Feb 18, 2014

They have already and it was bad.

Jedi Knight Bane likes this.
  8. SatineNaberrie

Jan 28, 2014
    I never heard of Disney making a Star wars Holiday special. I just the know of the one from the 70's. *shudder*

They could have a holiday parody special with singing Count Dooku lol.

9. ChrisMathersMU

ChrisMathersMU Jedi Youngling

Feb 14, 2014
    I might be able to get ahold of some LSD before Christmas. If so...I am DEFINITELY watching the Holiday Special.

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Spokesman of SWTV star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Bump. I feel like we don't talk about Holiday Special enough. :D

11. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    This thread is older than the Iraq war. WTF.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    This has got to be one of the oldest threads in TV

Ridley Solo likes this.
  13. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Well the TV forum was created around the time the Micro-series was beginning, and news of that would have broken early 2003, so that's about right.

14. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    It's always interesting to go back to the beginning of these threads that are a decade or more old and see who was posting back then and how long it has been since they quit posting. Sometimes you come across some current posters who were posting way back then as well.

15. Sandtrooper956

Sandtrooper956 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2015
    It's funny to go back to some of the threads in the prequel forum. Like one was if Chewie and Han would appear and apparently Peter Mayhew has been on this site?

When was this forum created?

StartCenterEnd likes this.
  16. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

Not sure. I'm guessing that these boards were formed (or at least the original jedi council board) was formed around the same time the special edition came out. That would have also been around the same time when the internet was really starting to become mainstream.

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

18. Kaitan ISB021

Kaitan ISB021 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2017
    I say #beaarthuriscanon ....
    ;)
    HAPPY LIFE DAY EVERYONE

19. Beercorn

Beercorn Jedi Youngling

Apr 5, 2017
    What would you say the chances are that the four-armed chef that Harvey Korman played is the same race as General Grievous?

20. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    As amazing a connection that would be, Grievous is a Kaleesh. Just two arms. Though I guess the four-arm look could have been inspired by Gormaanda's species; either hers or the Besalisks.

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Grevious just wanted to be a cook...:p

22. Beercorn

Beercorn Jedi Youngling

Apr 5, 2017
    When Grievous and Obi-Wan were about to fight during Revenge of the Sith and Grievous started slowly walking toward him while spinning his lightsabers, I believe he was using an ancient Kaleesh fighting technique. The original name of the technique is lost to history, but during the days of the Empire some swordsmen have come to refer to it as "Stir, Whip, Stir, Whip, Whip, Whip, Stir".

23. TheSithWriter

TheSithWriter Jedi Master

Aug 7, 2003
    Don't forget the TIE Fighters blown up by the Falcon in the recycled Episode IV footage. It still counts as a death.

I've been working on editing a less terrible version to make it at least somewhat watchable. Here are some of the things I've changed:

Don Pardo-style opening replaced with movie-style crawl.
    Recycled ship footage replaced with remastered footage
    Tumbling act has been removed!
    Jefferson Starship has been removed and replaced with Sy Snootles' little dance number, "Da Hutt Moda", from the Clone Wars season 3 episode "Hunt for Ziro"
    The entry to Diahann Carroll's VR sequence has been shortened so it goes straight to her, instead of those kitschy vfx with horrid swimmers (Were they supposed to be alien?)
    The required viewing transmission has been expanded to include the fan-film "Troops", before going to the Mos Eisley Cantina.
    The cheesy 1970s computer klaxon (which sounds like a controlled blast of air through a French horn or tuba) has been replaced with a more up-to-date klaxon
    The second recycled shot of 2 ISDs over Tatooine has been replaced with footage of an SSD from the game "Rebel Assault II" (surprising how well that worked).
    Chewbacca's memory flashback has been expanded to include footage of him from the Clone Wars episode "Wookiee Hunt" and Episode III.
    The badly rendered closing TV credits of the 1970s have been replaced with a movie-style closing credits, designed by myself and another forum member.

It still has a few small glitches, but when it's done, I plan to release it on YouTube or Vimeo for free viewing. I consider this a fan edit, and am not trying to make a profit on this. All footage was downloaded from YouTube.

I am SO glad that you picked up on that about Leia's song!

Hopefully, you'll check out my edited version when it's done.

It's fun to watch a piece of kitsch every now and then. Like it or not, it IS part of the Star Wars saga, and I watch it when I binge-watch the entire saga.

No, the alien chef is played Harvey Korman. Bea Arthur played Ackmena, the night bartender of the Mos Eisley Cantina. She was also featured as a major player in an anti-slavery group on Tatooine in the Fate of the Jedi books of the Legends timeline.

I'm working on a fan edit with that purpose in mind.

24. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    TheSithWriter don't post more than once in a row. Use the edit button to add to a post, or keep pressing the reply button to quote multiple people.

Plus, those posts are from 14 years ago. Half of those posters are long gone. Also you can't post fan films of the Holiday Special here.

25. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Disney just needs to bite the freaking bullet and release this on Blu Ray.

SensationalSean likes this.