main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classics The Holiday Special - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Exar_Xan, Feb 23, 2003.

1. LukeLives

LukeLives Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2018
    I love it and all its cheesy glory!.1. Because its Star Wars 2. Anything with Chewbacca im down for....one day..one day, it will be cannon!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean parts of it are already Canon including Chewie’s son.

StartCenterEnd and LukeLives like this.
  3. LukeLives

LukeLives Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2018
    True! And that is a good start ;)

4. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I remember obsessing a little with the Cantina scene, because it gave a better look at so many obscure aliens... with "Zutmore" Snaggletooth and Pons Limbic being a pretty big draw for me!

Jarrus likes this.
  5. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Ewok Poet, GunganSlayer and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Star Wars animation: pistol whipping a pink dinosaur for 40 years!

7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    i haven't given the Holiday Special a full on rewatch in about over 5 years at least (although I do watch Leia sing the Life Day song usually at least once a Holiday season). I think that means I'm due for a full rewatch, last call song and jefferson starship and everything!

8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
  9. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
  10. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    New Holiday Special by Favreau?

Jedi Knight Fett and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  11. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
  12. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Dewit.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    If anybody is interested in experiencing this classic, as part of our Virtual Celebration, we'll be hosting a viewing party this Saturday night around 10pm EDT. Check this thread for info.

14. DartJackson

DartJackson Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 26, 2020
    Learned that the animation segment was written by Lucas (or at least from his detailed story sketch). Is this true or just a hoax? And was George's participation as little as is commonly believed? After all in Holliday Special, quite a lot there is felt as "undistilled ideas" of George.

George as producer clearly gravitates towards such strange humor and eccentric farce (Droids, Labyrinth, Howard the Duck, Radiloland Murders, episode "Praga" in Young Indy, D-Squad arc in TCW).

15. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
  16. DartJackson

Aug 26, 2020
    Data differs between sources. I knew Howard the Duck was a comic, but what does that have to do with it? Lucas produced this film because he tends to be farce and eccentric.

17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I think Lucas only produced Howard the Duck as a favor to the director and writers.

18. DartJackson

Aug 26, 2020
    I know it. But I mean he gravitates towards such farcical stories. And that's why his produced this film. And he could submit his suggestions and ideas without having a writing credit. Moreover, the scriptwriters were his old friends and co-authors.

Take a look at Red Tails. He did not write or direct this film. But it looks like a Lucas movie. EP in Lucas's case can mean a lot.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Hell yeah, not the book announcement we deserved, but the one we needed. :boba:

TCF-1138 likes this.
  20. Darth Baga

Darth Baga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2021
    After watching all the Star Wars movies and (nearly) all the TV shows, the Holiday Special is one of the few pieces of Star Wars media that I haven't consumed. I've seen clips on YouTube and the animated segment on Disney+.

I'm gonna have to watch it at some point. I know it's bad, but hopefully it will be bad in a funny way.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  21. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    That's usually people's takeaway. It helps to watch as a group and just riff on it.

Darth Baga likes this.
  22. BlueYogurt

BlueYogurt Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2021
    Don't give in to the holiday special...that leads to the dark side.

Darth Baga likes this.
  23. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    The real question is: Does Carrie Fisher have the singing chops her mother (Debbie Reynolds) had?

24. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    I remember being disappointed by this when I finally sat down and watched it. I knew it was terrible, but I was expecting a fun terrible like The Room and instead it was just really, really boring.

25. BlueYogurt

BlueYogurt Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2021
    What? You didn't enjoy the 40 minutes of uninterrupted (and unsubtitled) grunting and growling between Chewbacca's family members?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021