main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD The "I'm bored, what are you all doing" thread

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Lozza, Oct 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    I vote for a Kahli vs Enempe duel to the death!!!!

2. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    No need. I'd win. My strategy would be simple. I simply would not show up, and enempe would then have to commit ritual suicide to avoid humiliation, ergo I would win.

ta-da!

3. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    ergo! in a sentence...impressive.

I was going to say you'd beat him with sheer vocabulary, but then I remembered it was NMP.

He'd be smart to not show however. You adn Lozza though..don't know who'd win that bout.

Did I eve mention I am well versed in the art of jump-punching-running. Worked for me thus far.

4. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    My best skill is staying inside and outta trouble.

That, and dropping to the floor, curling into a ball, and shouting 'NOT IN THE FACE'

5. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    22:52

Having recieved information that my upfortunate situations re: ADSL may be resolved, I am once more researching ISP plans and the price of routers and wireless network cards, so I can get this house out of the friggin' stone age.

6. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    03:26

Have finished my ADSL research and have been wooed into staying up far too late by coming across a fascinating page rebutting Intelligent Design and Creationism 'Science'. Can be found here. Makes a fascinating read, whichever side of that particular fence you're on.

7. casual-jedi

casual-jedi Jedi Master star 4

May 6, 2002
    I love it when Neo does that in the Matrix! :p

But seriously, it would be interesting to see you two get your Dim Maks on.
    Not knowing much about NMP's catlike ninja skills, my clams would be on a Kahli victory,
    by a heelkick to the goolies, midway through the first.

I'll be the one on the sideline yelling...
    "OOOH! Right in the Mummy-Daddy button!"

8. EnempE

EnempE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2005

It is always interesting sparring someone from a different style, make you really work out the strengths of your own style.

I have some interest in tong long (which if I remember correctly is what y'all do) as the internal training of that style is good gear, and it has a good positive attitude (go forward, go hard).

but seriously I don't feel any need to prove anything to anyone but sifu and me.

Oh and good work belting that girl in the mouth, if you don't do it someone else will (and you won't take her into a back alley after) you are doing the girl a service.

9. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    ...what's a dim mak?

Along those lines, after 18 months, I've finally been made to purchase the proper pants for my kung fu style (having managed to remain in tracky dacks thus far) and let me tell you, they're hot, they're unpleasant, they're uncomfortable and there is FAR too much room in the crotch.

10. EnempE

May 22, 2005

dim mak is pressure point targeting, or the fabled 'deathtouch'

In reality it is really difficult as the combination of point you have to hit are a little unlikey, you have to do certain sequences at certain times of the day, and the result could be if they don't visit a chemist then they might get mild pnuemonia in a week.

BUT

I really hurts if you hit any of the major points, and messes with people if you get two in a row.

11. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    Ah. Yes, well, let's not be doing that then.

What style do you do?

12. EnempE

May 22, 2005
    Well.

Thats kinda hard to explain, I have done 6 years of Wing Chun and am now advancing that into a style that uses wing chun as a base but takes elements of tong long, hung gar and muay thai and good common sence to make up for a few deficiencies in the style.

Aside from the curriculum, I am trying to work a couple of the concepts from arnis eskgrima that I feel are conduceive to inclusion into my style.

I have been working on this for a few years.

Its hard to explain exactly how it works but it actually does. A lot of mixed styles don't, but that is usually because they dont pick a base to augment and try to just learn everything at once with out any explainations of how to put it all together, so you end up with a heap of stragies for the same thing which is confusing.

Liek I said hard to explain, you really have to see it to understand.

13. casual-jedi

May 6, 2002
    I used the term Dim Mak really in jest, as it is in a nutshell, what I see as being wrong with most traditional martial arts. They believe their own myths. These myths were someway exploded in the early 90s, with the advent of No Holds Barred tournaments, such as the Ultimate Fighting Championship(UFC). For a while, the true picture about what works and what doesn't became clearer. However, this focus upon the TRUTH in unarmed combat, was not to last.

It seems that people prefer to stick with the romantic notions of supreme warriors, waging marathon battles of honour, using intricate multi hit combos. All the while having as their secret weapon, the sage knowledge of pressure point tactics, that can cause death. Now I'm not saying these people don't exist, but those who wholly believe in such systems are in for a rude shock. When they first discover what adrenalin does to one's fine motor skills in a real, street level confrontation.

What I've found to be effective in reality, is a world away from my notions of combat as a naive 15 year old, taking my first TaeKwonDo lessons all those years ago. Since then, I have settled 'my style' around a mixture of Muay Thai, Western Boxing, Freestyle Wrestling and Brazilian Jiujitsu. NMP was right in that no one style holds all the answers. To me, focussed knowledge and simplicity in application are key elements, with conditioning being paramount. There is no real mystery to human bio-mechanics, just sound science.

However, now that I know more about NMP's martial arts background,
    the Kahli vs NMP "Brawl-To-End-It-All" becomes a lot more even...

But I still got your back Kahls. ;)

14. RoGuE_StreaK

RoGuE_StreaK Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2005
    Bringing the martial arts train of thought into the SW station, I'd like to do some sabre training that combines all sorts of aspects from all sorts of fighting styles; longsword, fencing, kendo, etc.
    Anyone up for some duelling? (psychos need not apply)

15. casual-jedi

May 6, 2002
    Whilst interested, I'm afraid that my knowledge of swordplay is rather limited.
    Just your basic attacks and parries, and some things I saw in movies and on TV.

16. RoGuE_StreaK

Jan 24, 2005
    Same here. A fair while ago I used to do some sparring with Count Chrisco (Dooku@RotS premiere), and we found the best way to get some really heavy, fast stuff happening quickly was to just do it choreographed. You'd learn it inside out and backwards, and got sooo quick at it...
    Once I got more familiar with it, he started trusting me more to slowly learn basic freestyle attack/parry stuff, telegraphing moves to signal the intent, learning how to react quickly to certain moves, and gradually having it become second nature. Unfortunately I lost contact with him after that, and before I'd progressed past the basics.
    (Quite a few learned people have said that Chris is the most natural swordsman they had ever met...)

Brisbane Bladezmun sounded fun, but Ray pulled the plug when people started to not turn up regularly.

17. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    Kahli I know how you feel, my uniform is way too big in the crotch, in fact it is just way too big full stop. It's heavy and hot and after about an hour so soaked in sweat that the pants cling to my legs and I have to physically unstick them in order to throw a proper kick. Oh and did I mention that they are too short in the leg too. I still don't understand why the rest of the club has reasonably well fitting uniforms and one or two of us don't. :(

18. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    I know which end to hold

19. RoGuE_StreaK

Jan 24, 2005
    Well, that's a start!

RE: uniforms: I thought all martial arts chicks got around in skin-tight PVC?[face_love]

[EDIT] how the hell did this post end up before Kahli's??

20. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    ahh Rogue Streak..are you posting from a stae an hour ahead of us now..due to Daylight savings today??

Although, would that even affect anything around here???

21. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    DLS just ended in the US I'd guess.

22. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    Why do we need Daylight saving at all?

To save energy.

It seems a bit strange to justify this when lights are left on all night anyway [face_skull]

But I am personally in favour with it mainly for temporal consistency on the eastern side of the country.

23. CCD

CCD Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 1, 2002
    That Intelligent Design stuff, or 'ID' as it's trendily known, is frightening. It seems to be catching in the US - there was a great article on fundamentalism and ID in last weeks New Scientist... v. disturbing.

hey ho, at the moment I am indeed bored, finished watching prison break earlier and now am contemplating ironing a shirt for tomorrow... saw 40 Year Old Virgin earlier, suprisingly funny.

24. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    ATM I am getting ready for my 2nd last week of work in my store I've been in for 6 years.

Must remember to fill my bag with work pens and the like. And empty out my hidey spots.

25. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002

Her name wasn't Douglas, was it?

[face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.