main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Imperial Knights thread *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Charlemagne19, Jan 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That's because the Roman Empire was an adoptive monarchy, a principle that goes back to the Roman ideas about heredity. Once adopted, the person was fully a member of the adopter's family.

Adopting someone else as your heir, especially in lieu of offspring, is different from relinquishing one's throne to a good commander, which is what C19 suggests.

Furthermore, that style of adoption is fundamentally Roman. Most monarchies only allowed the adoption of family members in lieu of a direct heir apparent. There is an heiress apparent in this instance, and there are no other indirect family members to be adopted. The GFFA, as far as we're aware, doesn't follow that peculiarly Roman idea about family.

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Except with Lord Darth Vader of whom is the heir of Emperor Palpatine. Barring belief that the midiclorians were manipulated, it was he and not the Emperor's grand niece that the Imperial throne was going to be bequeathed to. Barring the Emperor's failing mortality, Luke Skywalker would also have received the throne if he had accepted the Emperor's service.

3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Just a few thoughts on Grand Admiral Veed...

I skimmed over some of the previous pages, so forgive me if I am repeating something that was already said. Any argument that Veed, in his own way, is more noble than Fel or would make a better Emperor is ridiculous.

Lets not forget that it was Grand Admiral Veed who embranced working with the Sith- known villians with 20-plus millenia of evil history- instead of standing alongside the GA.

By all appearances, the Empire and the Galactic Alliance maintained cordial relations for nearly a century. Not only that, but it appears that there was a peaceful transition of the Remnant back into a empire, all while keeping the peace with the GA.

Then Veed, Calixte, and Co decide to kriff things up and join the Sith.

The Sith. [face_hypnotized] o_O

How nayone could trust the Sith is beyond me. And, I imagine that militant ole' Veed was just itching to throw his Starfleet into battle over some grandeous idea of returning the Empire to total power.

The guy should be shot for stupidity and spaced out the airlock.

A galaxy with two major powers (GA and Empire) was undoubtedly the best, due to the fact that it presented a choice for worlds on which style of governace best suited them.

Anyways, these are just my thoughts.

--Adm. Nick

4. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Actually, Veed knew exactly what he was doing. He may not have expected to lose the throne to Darth Krayt but he doesn't intend to allow it fall into the hands of the Sith for long.

And again....he WON.

The galaxy is under the command of the Galactic Empire. The Rebellion is crushed.

He succeeded where Thrawn couldn't.

5. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    By using the Sith, which turned on him. [face_shame_on_you]

Plus- the GA remains, which added to Fel's loyalists will undoubtedly be a thorn in the Sith/Imperial Empire...

--Adm. Nick

6. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    When the Empire was ruled by Bane's Sith, it's not unreasonable to assume they had a very different idea of inheritance. The student becomes the master; the Sith apprentice is groomed his entire life to be the Dark Lord of the Sith. Fel's Empire seems to work more traditionally.
    The Empire won. Veed helped the Empire win. When Veed's little coup attempt was sprung, he lost. Big time. He made a really silly mistake, one it doesn't appear Fel made after all, and that was to trust the Sith. I believe Veed may have had his reasons, but until now all I can say is that he wants the throne. (I'm hoping to see more of Veed as an Imperial under Fel, as a Moff, as a Grand Admiral, and as a conspirator in issue #8.) I'm a little more interested, however, in Grand Moff Calixte's motivations.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, the First Empire was clearly not a hereditary monarchy but a dictatorship of public safety. Remember the inaugural address--the Emperor is chosen by the Senate. This is very obviously not the same mechanism as the Second Empire, which is fine, because they're not using the same basis for power. The Second Empire is a hereditary monarchy where the imperial dignity was bestowed on the House of Fel for unknown reasons.

Veed, to echo what BobaMatt and Nick have said, is not a good guy nor is he a winner. If anything, things were better before the Sith-Imperial war because the Empire's victory through peace program was a rousing success. They may not have had Coruscant, but they had honor. Veed brought mayhem through his botched attempt to get himself into power.

I imagine we'll see more of him and his collaborators as the series continues now that the very first arc is done.

8. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Actually, Palpatine declared himself Emperor, and the senate didn't argue. Then later he dissolved the senate. Vader would have succeeded Palpatine regardless of what anyone else thought and, if Palpatine did his job training a good Sith, Vader wouldn't take any lip about it.
    Not a good guy or a winner in life, perhaps. How well he performed in fleet battles remains to be seen, though we can assume he performed excellently. The one thing we know about his personality is he's a bit overconfidant; in Legacy #1, he makes threats to his fellow Moffs before the coup is even over, which no doubt results in a lot of egg all over his face the next time he has to meet Moff Geist.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Actually, Palpatine declared himself Emperor, and the senate didn't argue. Then later he dissolved the senate. Vader would have succeeded Palpatine regardless of what anyone else thought and, if Palpatine did his job training a good Sith, Vader wouldn't take any lip about it.

I. What he did and what his laws said about it are different, and the latter point is crucial if anyone is going to make a claim about who the next heir to the First Empire was--of which there was no official one.

II. He didn't dissolve the Senate. It was suspended for the duration of the emergency, and senators continued to hold their title and privileges will past that. ;)

10. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    Surely you don't actually believe II.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Why wouldn't I? It's exactly what happened. Surely you've read the actual order, yes? It appears in I don't know how many WEG sourcebooks. :p

12. EH_Pilot

Dec 12, 2003
    Surely Dangor's pronouncement can't possibly be taken at face value. If anything, he of all people would have reconvened the Senate after the recapture of Coruscant after Thrawn's assassination if he meant any of what he said nearly a decade earlier, which of course he didn't.

Suspending the Senate "for the duration of the emergency" (i.e. forever) flies right in the face of Palpatine's view of the Rebellion. Palpatine cared nothing for the "insignificant band". It was a tool that he exploited, first to wipe away the Senate, then to turn Skywalker.

Tarkin gives the best picture of the reality of the issue. In the novelization, he finds a perverse amusement at "the duration of the emergency" comment, and you know as well as I from the actual movie the Senate has been done away with permanently.

13. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Hence Jello's smiley-tongue faces.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    And the wink.

Legally and officially speaking, it was never disbanded. We all know the true intention of the move, of course, but it could have been reconvened if anyone wanted to. The reason Dangor didn't do so is because the remnants of the Senate wouldn't be too keen to elect a new emperor anyway.

15. EH_Pilot

Dec 12, 2003
    :confused:

I missed the " :p "

16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Yes.

It doesn't matter if Palpatine never took the law seriously. It's the law.

17. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    I agree with you. I'll go back to using the Roan Fel double when Krayt came to town. Roan Fel knows that he screwed up somewhere along the line and he desires to make it right. Standing up and facing the Sith at that point in time seems like the noble and courageous thing to do, but it is likely that the end scenario would have been the same - the man sitting in the throne would be cut down and Krayt would replace him. Roan knows that he alone is able to command enough loyalty to be able to overthrow the Sith rule of the Empire. At this point, we have to believe that Roan Fel regaining control of Bastion will be instrumental in defeating Darth Krayt.

Marasiah Fel would likely have chosen to stay on the throne and confront the Sith. She knows that her IK Master Elke Vetter got absolutely crushed by Darth Talon but she wants to go back and try to FIGHT HER! That is foolish and will not accomplish anything. At best she gives her life away. At worst she gives Bastion away. A missionary has to instruct her in the proper strategic move. Going forward, she rushes out and almost dies saving the life of Cade just to "Make things right". Luckily for her Cade probably happens to be a person who probably will be instrumental in the fall of the Sith. She cannot possibly know this, however. She just got done hearing him call Honor, Duty, and all that good stuff a bunch of BS. "Making things right" isn't saving one space pirate - It is a more long term goal of usurping the Sith usurpers. Marasiah has not really displayed the understanding of the real world that the Emperor of the galaxy needs to keep things in order.

Carnage

18. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Yes, and there's a simple fact. The Moffs on the council are utterly UN-IDEALISTIC. We know that Morlish Veed and his lover are complete bastarves but it seems the head of the Imperial Mission isn't much better himself for Machiavellian scheming. I'd wager the rest of the council is just as big a collection of scum....if less treasonous than Veed and his consort.

They'd eat Marasiah alive.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Of course they would. She's still young. We're not entirely sure how old she is, but the point is that she has to grow before she's able to get on the throne. Besides, remember how she alone was able to discern that the Vendaxa business was a trap? Remember how easily she realized that those criminals wanted to sell her?

She's perceptive enough to rule, she just has not yet been tempered by experience. That's the difference between HIM the Emperor and HIH the Princess--Roan Fel too wanted to save his daughter, but he knew that it would be a foolish move. The princess wanted to avenge her mentor and did not yet have the seasoning to put her priorities forward in the heat of the moment. She did, however, have sense in a time of calm. So clearly the prudence is there, it just has yet to work in the heat of the moment.

20. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    What they seem to be are cowards. Geist and Russ, at least, don't seem happy about the coup, or all that enthusiastic about serving the Sith, but they certainly aren't about to stand up to Krayt. "Un-idealistic" is actually a really great way of describing them: they're politicians and beaurocrats, and they're sure as hell not gonna lost their power by sticking their necks out if it means they might get a lightsaber through it.

21. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    I am not accusing her of being stupid, she certainly has some wits about her, but I think she does not have the makings of a great war time leader. She would need to be more "Spur of the moment" sensible. Her traits are not all bad for leadership though.... Conversely, I think she would be a better peace time leader than Roan Fel. In times of peace the populace is more important than the troops, compassion and understanding can go a long way towards popularity, and decisions are allowed a bit more time to make. A high approval rating would make it hard for the Moffs to chew her up and replace her. In peace time I could see Roan sitting on his throne, fidgeting, wondering what other Star Systems he could bring the sophistication of the Empire to. He is colder and realistic....probably less likely to really be accepted by the populace.

I also do not think she is THAT young. I would guess she is at least in her late twenties. That isn't exactly old and wise but being in the middle of a raging war for the past 8 years should have been enough to shake her of her idealistic views. Some people grow out of them and some don't. It's quite possible she will not.

Carnage

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Remember, though, there was no war underway until Veed's scheming with the Sith. Roan Fel was a peacetime leader who supported the war in the first place. Princess Sia may not be the coolest headed warrior, but she was supposed to inherit an Empire at peace. Now she'll just have to inherit one at war.

23. jfostrander

jfostrander Writer: -Legacy -Republic/Jedi/Purge star 4 VIP

Jul 16, 2001
    RE Sia

One thing Cade spotted about Sia is that the various factions that might have to unite to defat the Sith are more likley to unite with someone like Sia than with himself. Can Roan Fel pull it off? Could Sia, because she is NOT the emperor, because she IS perceived to be idealistic (and perhaps charimatic) be more likely to pull together such an alliance than a tainted Roan fel or a scruffy space pirate (even if he IS named Skywalker)?

fFnally -- is Roan Fel out to recover the throne for himself OR for the rightful dynasty? Would he be willing to step aside as Emperor in favor of his daughter iF, by doing so, he could defeat Krayt and the Sith. i'm not proposing that is what WILL happen -- just wondering if it MIGHT.

You know -- stirring the pot a little.<g>

-- John

24. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Good points Jon. I suppose the real question is whether its more interesting if he would...or wouldn't.

:-D

I also like how you refer to Roan as tainted.

25. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Roan Fel is forever tainted because of his association with the Sith. He is largely responsible for causing the Imperial-Sith War, bringing the Sith into power and causing the Imperial Civil War. So it would be a wise move for him to make his daughter the public face of his Imperial faction when dealing with non-Imperials. It would certainly be easier for them to deal with Marasiah.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.