main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ~The Inheritance Cycle, by Christopher Paolini~ Discussing its literary merits

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Havoc_Wing

Havoc_Wing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2006
    Severe public backlash, maybe?

I think I've got enough Eragon info from Anti-Shurtugal to guarantee that I'm never going to read the series.

--HW

2. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I finished Eldest Saturday. I really liked it and I am of a mind to think that you either hate or love it.

3. SUGARBANTJINN

SUGARBANTJINN Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2007
    oh! I'm on the fifth-to-last chapter, i think, of Eldest. UNBELEIVABLE!!!! I cannot WAIT till the next ones come out!

4. silverfighter

silverfighter Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 28, 2007
    Does anyone know when the next comes out?

I read Eldest last spring, and I think I liked it. I read it in a little less then two weeks. :p I need to reread both sometime soon...

5. SUGARBANTJINN

Apr 12, 2007
    less than 2 weeks?!!? holy BANTHA! ...ah, i remember those days. days when I had time to do such. i've been working on Eldest for at least a month! :(

6. silverfighter

Apr 28, 2007
    It was actually only a week and one day. I just looked at my calender. :) It was the week before the Eragon movie came out, and I wasn't sure if they were going to put in spoilers for Eldest, so I spent most of my time reading that week.

Speaking of the Eragon movie... Who else thinks that it is Star Wars played in a Lord of the Rings setting?

7. SUGARBANTJINN

Apr 12, 2007
    yeah, now that u mention it, that's rings a bell!

8. silverfighter

Apr 28, 2007
    .... Also, who thinks that Murtag looks like Xanatos from the JA books?

9. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Speaking of the Eragon movie... Who else thinks that it is Star Wars played in a Lord of the Rings setting?

Quite a few people, myself included. I realize that to some extent there's a formula that most fantasy authors follow, but most do it very smoothly and without all the SW and LOTR-ness. Paolini didn't.

And October 08, I believe.

10. SUGARBANTJINN

Apr 12, 2007
    *waves hand in the air furiously* OH ME ME ME!!!! that's the first person i thouhgt of when i saw him!

11. silverfighter

Apr 28, 2007
    Good, so I am not the only insane person out there... :p

12. SUGARBANTJINN

Apr 12, 2007
    hexk no! actually, Murtagh looks like a hotter version of Xani! :p

13. SUGARBANTJINN

Apr 12, 2007
    I just finished Eldest. *sigh* man, Murtagh really made me mad!

14. silverfighter

Apr 28, 2007
    I was rather annoyed when I finished Eldest. The problem with me and books is if I get mad at them I throw them, and I almost threw Eldest. That is a rather large book, and if I had thrown it... Something would have broke. :)

15. SUGARBANTJINN

Apr 12, 2007
    lol. yeah, that would NOT be a good thing! it really is a good book - be nice to it!

16. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    I don't know. I actually did flip Eldest twice in the air and let it crash to the ground because I was so disgusted with it, and I finally gave up on it halfway through. It wasn't until a year later when I finally forced myself to finish it, when the third book seemed immenent . . . and it still hasn't surfaced.

The second book is just painful to read. Sentences that don't make sense. Entire events that don't make sense. Infodumping beyond reasonable porportions. Ridiculous characters and situation. The usage of chemistry in a time period when it should barely be in the alchemy area. A battle with asinine tactics by both sides. Eragon basically doing nothing and getting a massive reward for it in return. Elves who are this close to being racist in the ways they judge themselves above other beings.

I could go on for ages.

I'm sorry for being a wet blanket, but after reading the last ten messages I couldn't take it anymore.

17. rebel_cheese

Jul 6, 2006
    Okay, now that I'm finished acting like the Grinch, for you Inheritance fans, a present on Christmas Eve . . .

The third book finally has a release date.

From shurtugal.com:

As many of you have heard, I am writing the final chapters of Book Three, which will be published September 23, 2008. Earlier this year, I realized that I had too much story to fit into one volume and that a fourth novel was necessary to complete the adventures of Eragon and Saphira as I originally envisioned them. Therefore, what began as the Inheritance trilogy has become the Inheritance cycle.

I know from your letters that you are curious about the name and cover design of Book Three. The decision to add a fourth book to the Inheritance cycle has affected many things, this included. I promise you?ll be the first to hear as soon as the title of Book Three is announced. And, like you, I am excited to see what the cover will look like!

My friends at Random House have some exciting pre-publication activities planned for 2008. You can anticipate that something new and interesting will be revealed each month, beginning in January.

I wish you a happy holiday season, and . . .

May your swords stay sharp!

Christopher Paolini

The website had a picture of him holding some award he got for the first book. He's growing a beard. I'd give you guys a link, but the bandwidth has been exhausted and it's down for the moment. Once it's back up I'll give you all a link.

18. SUGARBANTJINN

Apr 12, 2007
    YAY!!!!! I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

19. rebel_cheese

Jul 6, 2006
    http://www.shurtugal.com/?id=mandm/archives/2007/december192007

Link, just as promised.

20. SUGARBANTJINN

Apr 12, 2007
    SWEET! thanks!

21. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Isn't the title of book III Empire with a green background and green dragon?

22. SUGARBANTJINN

Apr 12, 2007
    i heard something along those lines...

23. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I've heard green book. The title might change since there are now four.

24. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I wonder who that dragon is then as well as who the rider is?

25. SUGARBANTJINN

Apr 12, 2007
    i dunno... but i have a hunch...