main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ~The Inheritance Cycle, by Christopher Paolini~ Discussing its literary merits

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Nov 2, 2006.

1. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Somebody said that the books were predictable to the point that they knew Arya was going to be the next rider....

I like the color green. I haven't gotten around to reading Eldest because I'm bad about finishing books that aren't nonfiction...

2. SUGARBANTJINN

SUGARBANTJINN Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2007
    Arya?!?! hmm. I must be slow...

3. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    'cause she's the pretty female lead, and there have been no female riders...yet. Plus she's an elf. And a princess.

4. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I hope not Arya.

5. SUGARBANTJINN

Apr 12, 2007
    I was thinking more along the lines of Roran, but who knows?

6. DarthDiabolous

DarthDiabolous Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 23, 2006
    When exactly is the next book comin out?

7. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Sept. 23 2008.

8. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    It'll be Arya. As much as I hope it won't be and there'll be someone out of left field, as I look at Paolini's progression of the story (or lack thereof) it'll be Arya. It'll be just . . . too . . . perfect for Eragon.

I'm sorry. Being Grinch-y again.

9. SUGARBANTJINN

Apr 12, 2007
    you still think Arya and Eragon get together? i'm kinda rooting for Nasuada and Eragon.

10. rebel_cheese

Jul 6, 2006
    I'm certainly not rooting for Eragon and Arya to get together, but I think it'll happen.

11. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Of course....She will realize that she loves him at the end of the story. Then they will have babies and live happily everahter.

I hope that Elf that Eragon spared with everyday in Ellesmira will become the rider. He was a cool cat elf.

12. SUGARBANTJINN

Apr 12, 2007
    yeah, he was cool. i just hope that Murtagh becomes good again! I was SOOOO POed when it turned out he was the evil rider! But you can tell he's got good in him!

13. Darth_Sidharth

Darth_Sidharth Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2008
    i think the next rider will be an elf maybe arya ,though i could be wrong bout that.
    also remember the vision eragon has of two dragons flying in the sky while some elves are boarding a ship..
    i think the last two to board the ship were arya an eragon, an the one who remains behind is roran.
    if so then the second dragon could be arya's as if the dragon is supposed to be saphira's mate then if the dragon was leaving alagaesia then so must its rider

14. SUGARBANTJINN

Apr 12, 2007
    ??? I don't rememer that vision...

15. Darth_Sidharth

Darth_Sidharth Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2008
    n book 1 of the Inheritance Trilogy after Eragon's home is destroyed and he is in carvahal, he has a "dream" and he sees two dragons in the sky,two people a man and a woman getting into a ship and sailing away while another man stands on shore and wathces it sail away

16. SUGARBANTJINN

Apr 12, 2007
    oooohhhh yeah..... NOW I remember! :p

17. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I remember that from last time I read Eragon... last year for my English ISU (only time I've been able to get away with an extremely critical review of a novel in class :p ). I remember thinking, when I re-read that, that the two people will be Eragon and Arya with their dragons (if Arya becomes the next dragon rider, which I strongly believe she will) and the man on the shore is Murtagh.

I've been extremely disappointed with the Inheritance books and while I own Eragon and Eldest (Christmas and birthday presents from my mom), I have no intention of buying Book III when it's released. Paolini's writing style gets on my nerves and if I ever do read it, I'll be getting it from the library as an extra precaution against book-tossing. :p I'm allowed to toss my own books, but I won't let myself throw the library's books. ;)

18. SUGARBANTJINN

Apr 12, 2007
    hm. that's one reason i love the Inheritance books, tho! they don't have a typical 'Happily ever after' ending where everything is just the way you want it! well, at least not as of yet, seeing as there's still 2 books to go! :p but seriously!

19. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I have nothing against non-happy endings. Actually, I prefer bittersweet or non-Happily Ever After/fairy tale-ish endings. For example, I'm a huge fan of Sweeney Todd which is not a happy story and definitely doesn't have a happy ending. :p ;)

It's Paolini's style and the predictability of his plot that drives me crazy. When reading Eragon for the first time, I'd guessed within the first few chapters after Murtagh's entrance that he was Morzan's son. Same thing happened when reading Eldest with the revelation of Eragon's relationship to Murtagh. :rolleyes:

Plus, Eragon's attitude drives me crazy. 8-} And various other things.

20. SUGARBANTJINN

Apr 12, 2007
    wow. i must be reeeeaaaallllllyyyy slow... i didn't guess any of that! :p but yeah, Eragon's attitude does get on my nerves sometimes too.

21. rebel_cheese

Jul 6, 2006
    The more books you read, the easier it is to guess plots beforehand. So if you didn't read a lot of books before reading Eragon/Eldest . . . well, you're not going to guess what happens.

I mean, I guessed the plot of Brother Odd halfway through and I wasn't able to guess the plot of previous Dean Koontz books beforehand. But after reading him for three years you just start being able to.

And I guessed the entire plot of a Vince Flynn book (Act Of Treason) just by looking at the book jacket. My mom wasn't pleased about that, though she ended up correctly guessing the plot anyway.

You just need to read more before you can begin guessing plots.

22. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    ^^^

What rebel_cheese said. I read mostly fantasy books, and since there's a certain formula that the majority of fantasy writers follow, it's really not all that hard to guess the plots of Eragon/Eldest when I'm so used to the formula that Paolini uses.

23. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I love happy endings (it's why I read Sharon Shinn). I'm not opposed to them at all, and am very upset when they're not. (Though I would like to say, having just gotten back from seeing Sweeny Todd a few hours ago, that I figured it wasn't going to be happy, though I like to think that Johanna and her sailor go off and be happy :p )

Any, I agree with Idri; it's his style. And I don't usually mind predictability (if you read enough fantasy, a lot of things because predictable, like she said) but it's the way he writes. It's too predictable. No element of surprise, no new additions to the usual storyline. And no characters that I can connect with or feel sympathetic for.

24. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    And no characters that I can connect with or feel sympathetic for.

Aye, another thing that really annoys me. The ONLY character I liked went evil for no good reason (yes, I mean Murtagh; I actually liked him in Eragon but I hate what Paolini did with him in Eldest... we saw him for like... fifteen pages, maybe, right at the end and all little character development he had in the first book was washed away). I could seriously care less if Eragon died at any point, but I really don't think that will happen (unlike with HP7, where I actually thought, previous to reading it, JKR would kill off Harry). And I would actually rejoice if Arya died, but again, doubt it. :p

I didn't even mind when Brom died... I don't know. Obi-Wan-like character without Obi-Wan's charm and appeal. :p *shrug*

Nat -- you'll have to PM me and we can discuss Sweeney Todd. I haven't seen the film yet. :p

25. rebel_cheese

Jul 6, 2006
    One of the jokes I read once is that Murtagh is a 2D character in a 1D world. :p

The only real surprise was the first chapter of Eldest. But that's because it all happened for no reason and without any build-up of suspense beforehand.

There's just an inevitability of everything in Inheritance that bothers me. Especially as what the majority of the fans (and anti-fans) expect starts coming true without even a minor exception.