main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Mini Series The Inquisitors (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by nld3, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I liked them. And didn’t need them to play any larger a role than they did: Vader’s Interns.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
    MercenaryAce and Ithorians like this.
  2. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    It would have been fun to have a Bruce Lee style movie where Obi-wan took them out one-by-one until meeting Vader. I am not saying they should have done it, I am just saying it would have been fun.

MercenaryAce and Ithorians like this.
  3. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    “Game of Hello There”

Sproj and PCCViking like this.
  4. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    he'd be a productive Inquisitor.

"The key to hunting Jedi is patience"

5. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Like Kyle Katarn in Jedi Knight!! :D

Sproj and RetropME like this.
  6. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Vader in the original Star Wars movie is essentially an Inquisitor. He wasn’t even planned as the only one of his kind, but additional Sith Lords were dropped from the movie because of budgetary constraints. Lucas still considered bringing in some of the other Sith Lords in subsequent movies and having a more powerful one replace Vader after his death.

But then came Empire and the character was fused with Luke’s father in the second movie. He became more iconic, was given a more central role, and became more powerful in-universe too. He became the sole agent of the Emperor, the one most responsible for the death of the Jedi Order. And that’s seemingly where Lucas left things off: the Empire set a trap for most of the Jedi (Order 66) and Vader took care of the rest. No Inquisitors in his final vision.

So in many ways, having Vader means you don’t need Inquisitors and vice versa. You either have one very powerful agent, Vader, or you have multiple agents with less power, the Inquisitors. Both aren’t necessary, and that makes it tricky for storytellers because they need to find the right balance. Otherwise one will end up looking a bit redundant.

I wonder if Lucas did ever plan to introduce something like the Inquisitors, or if that’s something that came purely from Filoni. We don’t know much about the unmade live action series, but it doesn’t sound like there would’ve been characters like them at all.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  7. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I think the Inquisitors add social and political depth to Vader's role in the Empire. He oversees a group of Sith special forces at this point in history, basically. I like that. Improves the world-building.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
  8. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    Can't agree more with @Bor Mullet. The reason I´ve liked the Inquisitorius even from its early, legends days, its because it gives us a way at looking at the relationship between darksiders within the context of the Empire. I find it a far more complex interaction with Vader than generic imperial officers or stormtroopers, and therefore quite worthy of exploration.

By the way, found this article in starwars.com. Most of it is already known; the end of the organization remains open.

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-inside-intel-the-inquisitorius

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
  9. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    We could have seen even more action and drama from the Inquisitors in the show. For example, why not actually show them in action? Show them against the young Jedi apprentice. Show them fight each other instead of merely bickering.

10. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I like the concept of the Inquisitors, but I’m not wild for the discrepancy in power between Vader and the Inquisitors. As cool as it is visually for Vader to take on Reva without a lightsaber. She is a member of an organization tracking down Jedi masters like Tera Sinube and Coleman Kcaj (or an identical ongree which makes me think it’s him).

And repeatedly the Inquisitors just feel like sub bosses or place holders for Vader.

I feel like they should be competent and threatening.

As cool as Vader using the Force to fight Reva is, we already know Vader is cool. I think it would have been better to have Grand Inquisitor to fight her like that. He would benefit more from getting a cool fight scene. And I think his gutter comment toward her would sting more if he destroyed her as opposed to Vader.

Grand Inquisitor instead comes across as a coward who surfaces to mock Reva only after Vader takes care of her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glitterstimm and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  11. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Well, cloning has been an established technology in the setting since its inception. There is a lot of mining and shipbuilding going on too, but that doesn't mean all of it is leading up to Palpatine's Exogal fleet.

Beside, a fair number of tubes recently don't have any evidence of cloning except by assuming it is all connected in a circular logic sort of way.

Hmm...interesting idea.

Only problem is, the inquisitors all have the same basic fighting style. To make a bunch of encounters like that more interesting, it would be better to have more variety in fighting styles, like different force powers, weapons, or even gadgets like Seventh's use of droids.

Grand Inquistor vs Terra Senube was the greatest slow speed chase of all time.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    The Inqusitors were good, Grand Inquisitor is great. Love this character ans might be the smartest villain with Thrawn and Tarkin.

13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Smarter than Vader, on a strategic level…

14. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    Even smarter in rebels.

Abd with a thinner head :p

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  15. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    [face_laugh]
    The Grand Inquisitor was really great, I thought. Seeing him in live action gave a real Jerec vibe out of him. Now I completely buy him as the leader of the Inquisitorius, and would sure love to see him interact with one or two other high ranking imperials.

16. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Rupert Friend had said something about how the Grand Inquisitor is aware that the two Sith outrank everyone, but that he sees himself as being immediately behind Vader and that if he sees an opportunity to get ahead, he’ll take it.

I liked that he was openly critical of Vader. That changed my view on the dynamic between the two, as I had just assumed the Inquisitors were some expendable squad of ex-Jedi under Vader that the Sith didn’t respect.

I still think back to the line he said in Rebels though, that there are things worse than death. I think that it would be cool to see if he ever does try to challenge Vader and ends up getting his comeuppance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    I don´t know if you are familiar with the Vader comic from Charles Soule, but if not you might like it; there are some very interesting moments between the two. Let's just say their relationship was quite tense at the beginning.

Seeing how Vader was depicted in the Kenobi series, it's funny to see Ninth Sister being sarcastic even around him too!

TaradosGon likes this.
  18. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think Vader still generally respects the ability of men under his command to vocalize competent criticism much more than he gets angered by being talked back to - not that he respects the person themselves or isn’t still likely to kill someone for failure, but you’re more likely to survive by being observant and helpful than not. Vader doesn’t want sycophants, he wants results; making it clear you get results thus maintains your position in his favor.

I kind of like the idea that the Grand Inquisitor might be the member of the Inquisitorious most aware of this; that he knows Vader still holds all of them in personal contempt but values organizational skills and competence, so vocalizing relevant criticisms that remain true to Vader’s larger goals is almost neccessary for the Grand Inquisitor’s power and survival. Every other Inquisitor is just a bit more scared of offending Vader, and thus gets on Vader’s nerves by trying to kiss up to him, while the Grand Inquisitor likely keeps a “scoreboard” in his mind of all the times he’s given valid feedback so that he knows when his “credit” is good enough for some light theatrics both to entertain himself but also remain above the rest of the rank and file.

When everyone’s scared of even mildly irritating Vader, it’s a bit of a power move to be able to trash talk the others and potentially waste Vader’s time without paying for it.

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    He needed to do more. Killing Flea? Meh. I could kill Flea.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    You wouldn’t though.

21. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    Could be dangerous. I've heard he slaps quite hard.:D
    This sounds very much in character to me. Vader was clearly going to refuse his logic, but he says it anyway, so to get it on record. This way, Vader gets the "I told you so" without the GI even having to put his trachea on the line by saying it... unless Pau´ans has two of those too, then what does he cares.

22. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    And it’s in-character for Vader to have no problem with accurate criticism, and it *also* still shows a different behavior from the GI towards Vader compared to the other Inquisitors - GI has a tendency to toy with his targets, whether it’s a target like the Jedi or a compatriot like Reeva, but does NOT toy with Vader at all.

Vader will let GI be a cat playing with his food as long as he understands who’s the big dog.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
  23. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    Agreed on Vader being open to, at the very least, sound questioning of his strategies. Otherwise Daine Jir would have enjoyed a far shorter career. Vader knew the Grand Inquisitor reading of the situation was correct, but was unwilling to act accordingly. The Grand Inquisitor knew Vader´s call was wrong, but also knew better than to keep pushing. By the end of chapter 5 I was hoping for an interaction between the two of them, and this scene certainly delivered.

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    GI actually bites his lip after Vader ignores his advice. It was a great acting beat.

25. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    Certainly... and the way he seems to almost spit the word Jedi out in contempt in that scene. Great details.