main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Mini Series The Inquisitors (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by nld3, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Force-senstitive and pale skin can refer to a lot of characters.

There are way more noticeable differences between Ventress and Aurra than there are of the Inquisitor and Son. These two are almost exactly alike.

2. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003

The rule would only be broken if there were three Sith, and the closest instance of this is Maul surviving which Palpatine did not anticipate, and we do not yet know how that ultimately plays out. But aside from that, there were never three Sith simultaneously that I am aware of. The ROT seems nominal, which is pointless if it's to be ignored. Instead of calling this guy an inquisitor, they could have just called him Darth whatever and said that the ROT was abandoned, but they didn't. During the TCW podcasts that Filoni would participate in, he insisted multiple times that Asajj and Savage were not Sith and that the rule was therefore not broken since they did not receive Sith training. What he failed to show in TCW itself is what is so fundamentally different about their training?

A Sith as far as the movies and TCW were concerned were scarcely anything other than a Force user with a red lightsaber that behaved aggressively. Dooku did this, Sidious did this, and Savage and Asajj did too. The show never dove into what Asajj and Savage were missing that kept them from being considered Sith. Or what had happened that Sidious was totally cool with Asajj at first then all of a sudden thought that Dooku was going to use her to betray him.

The ROT doesn't stop fighting all together, but it makes the system much more stable. Vader killing Palpatine and taking Luke for an apprentice, or Palpatine killing Vader and taking Luke for an apprentice isn't going to destabilize things or weaken the Sith to the same extent that having hundreds or thousands of Sith turn on each other and establishing themselves as warlords would.

The leader may be usurped or the apprentice may be replaced, but the ROT ensures that there is one Sith faction at any given time.

The proliferation of Dark Jedi, assassins and inquisitors, if not fundamentally different from Sith in ideology, would potentially create new power-hungry enemies that could band together to kill Vader and/or Palpatine.

Circular Logic likes this.
  3. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    It seems that GL has a much stricter criteria for "Sith" than fans do.

4. Hail_Pizza

Hail_Pizza Jedi Youngling

Feb 2, 2013
    To be honest, I'm really excited about The Inquisitor. I don't like how this fandom goes ape **** whenever new characters are introduced--which they'll probably all love The Inquisitor like the majority of us ended up growing attached to Ahsoka. In no disrespect to Galen Marek, I would rather have someone new to watch Vader manipulate and control. I loved TFU and Marek's story, but we already know it. One of the greatest attractions and strengths of the Star Wars Universe is that there is constantly more and more characters being brought to light. And as a fan, I always want new stories.

Along with what has already been stated above about the Sith using inquisitors and assassins long before the prequel trilogy, this character will not mess up continuity in the Star Wars Universe. I mean, did we really not expect this to happen? It would be insulting to see Vader beaten over and over again. That is not who he is. Fans would be in more uproar if we had to watch that happen.

5. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    If you follow the EU the ROT has been broken in TPM because the Darth Plagueis novel claims Plagueis was still around at that time.

I don't understand what is so different about Assajj and Savage. I take it as one of many "doesn't make much sense" inconsistencies of the universe.

Unless of course the Sith kill each other. Or the master is killed too soon by an anvil dropping on his head (or any other random death cause). Or the pupil dies when the master is too old to take another pupil. Long story short, the ROT never really made much logical sense. It is the product of an intelligent but deranged mind.

V-2 likes this.
  6. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    All of which would be freak occurrences that are far less likely than 2 Sith ganging up on 1 Sith.

7. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

They are not so alike, but ok. They are close, but a ton of darksiders are close in design.

So Malgus is a Vader ripoff too. And so on...

Stricter?! He brought Maul back, allowed Ventress to be in TCW and I do not know about strict.

8. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    He is, actually.
    but he doesn't consider her to be a Sith

9. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    I think Lucas is not sure about the "rule" too. Like he was or is with the status of the Separatists Organizations and Corporations in the CIS.

10. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    I have to disagree there considering that Palpatine called the Rule of Two "the first and only reality of the Sith".

11. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I think the ROT was meant to retroactively explain why at the height of their power (in the OT) there was only Vader and Palpatine. At the height of their power there were only as many Sith as there were Jedi, when the latter were all but extinct.

So Lucas makes the ROT and he followed it in all the films. There were never more than two. First Maul/Sidious, then Dooku/Sidious, then Vader/Sidious.

It's the EU that found loopholes like making Maul an "assassin" while Plagueis and Palpatine were the "two," or having Savage and Asajj running around as convoluted non-Sith apprentices to Sith.

Lucas had Asajj removed from the equation as Dooku's apprentice, then introduced Savage before bringing Maul himself back.

I used to think that being a Sith was merely a title, like being a king. Palpatine is king and Vader is prince. As the apprentice, it is in theory Vader's right to take Palpatine's place when Palpatine dies. He's Palpatine's heir. There can only be two master/apprentice (king/heir). Others like Asajj have no claim to the throne so to speak. They can exist, they can be trained, but they can never take up the title Sith, since that would be like staking a claim to the throne. And in the real world prince's have committed patricide and king's have disinherited their heirs (E.G. Toyotomi Hideyoshi appointed his nephew as his heir before having a son of his own, after the birth of his son, he had his nephew killed and appointed his son as heir).

But it goes deeper than that, since Filoni has insisted that Asajj was not a Sith because she was not trained as one, and that Savage received only rudimentary Sith training. So by his words it is implied that there is more to it than simply semantics over titles. They are fundamentally trained differently. Asajj isn't a Sith just by virtue because of some hollow rule that there can only be two. She's not a Sith because she wasn't trained to be one. I just wish that delineation between Sith and Dark Jedi non-Sith would be more apparent. I think the OS used to (or still may) used to have a blurb in Asajj's databank entry that hinted that Dooku WAS teaching her Sith secrets and that if Sidious had found out, he would have been infuriated.

In TCW itself we just see Sidious being OK with Asajj then all of a sudden accusing Dooku of plotting against him and ordering her execution. Did he find out that he was teaching her Sith secrets? That would have explained Sidious' abrupt decision to have her eliminated, but this just got glossed over.

12. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    How are these freak occurrences? All of that can happen, especially in a timespan of a thousand years.

A larger Sith order can take two Sith ganging up on one. A small order is pretty much screwed when anything unforseen happens.

V-2 likes this.
  13. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Don't know why people are saying the Inquisitor is breaking the Rule of Two, because that is not the case. Don't remember where RoT states that lesser, non-sith, darksiders can't exist Being an evil darksider, and running around with a red blade does not make someone a sith.....shocking i know.

Being a Sith not only has to do with using the dark side, but also following sith tradition/culture/training.

14. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I'm not saying that the Inquisitor cannot exist. I'm saying that to make it clear that he is not a Sith that they delve into what I bolded above to clearly show that there is a difference. With Asajj and Savage in TCW I felt like there was a gray area and I wouldn't expect a 10 year old kid to have realized that Asajj was NOT a Sith, given that Ahsoka blatantly calls her one, or because Maul refers to himself and Savage as Sith, while behind the scenes Filoni says that Savage is not.

I felt like the knowledge that Savage and Asajj were not Sith was inclusive information that only EU fans, people that post on message boards, or people that listen to Filoni's podcasts or read his interviews would know about. TCW itself did not do a good job at making this clear in the show itself, and I am hoping that Rebels does, but showing what "tradition/culture/training" is unique to the Sith. Rather than being stuck with hearing Filoni every few months refer to the character as not being a Sith in a podcast, while the show itself leaves it vague.

15. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    I've never heard a 10-year-old kid use the term "Sith". Ever.

16. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003

I don't talk to any 10 year olds. I just know that if I were 10 years old when this show came out, I wouldn't likely be online reading about the show or have the attention span or interest to listen to podcasts. I would just watch the show and discuss it in person with friends at school, or wherever.

Though having said that, I played Decipher's Star Ware CCG as a kid when I was around that age, maybe a little older. It was there that I first learned what a "Sith" was, since the word was never used in the OT.

17. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008

I agree. It should be more then just EU fans that know the difference, because for people who only know about the films and TCW, a "Sith" is simply an evil bad guy who uses the darkside and carries red blades.

I do think there should be an in-universe discussion between characters, in Rebels, that points out that the Inquisitor is not a Sith and why (this could be done pretty well if he had a talk with Vader).

18. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

..It's like they took the Son, gave him yellow eyes and tweaked his tattoos very, very slightly.

I don't mind the idea of the Inquisitor, but the design sucks -- if the resemblance isn't supposed to be intentional. Maybe the Inquisitor is an android created by Vader or something..

19. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I'm assuming that just how Darth Tyranus frequently appeared in TCW talking about and carrying out Darth Sidious' orders without the latter's personal appearance, it will be really similar with the Inquisitor and Darth Vader in Rebels.

20. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah I guess so, but still, the heroes should be able to escape the situation at hand, even if it spans several episodes. I think this would undermine Vader after a while.

A more random villain like this Inquisitor guy can win and then be beatan more easily. The showrunners could even change his character like they did with Assaj Ventress in The Clone Wars. Vader is pretty much fixed, he wouldn't have a lot of range.

V-2 likes this.
  21. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    and Vader himself has Palpatine/Sidious above him. Only seeing the Inquisitor would mean that we don't see the top two people.

22. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012

Ok, fine, they looks exactly the same.

But unlike here I hope, that thing with Dooku being in every arc and doing everything got idiotic after Season One cause Dooku and Sidious can micromanage stuff, but they did not need to ruin every arc with Dooku spoon-feeding the episodic villains. A huge flaw in TCW and I hope Rebels stays away from that by having the Inquisitor more of an independence. He will still follow orders, but he will not have Vader calling in every 2 minutes like we have seen with some of my favorite TCW villains.
    I mean just a few Separatist villains were never seen with Dooku on TCW to listen to the old buzzard ordering them - Trench and Poggle. Even in the lazy Mon Calamari arc, Dooku could have been replace by Tikkes and it would been perfect... buuuuuut that is me going on a tangent here.

Point is: Vader would be nice to appear from time to time or just be mentioned. Some of the times less is more...

23. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Unlike the Inquisitor, Son looks unique in the GFFA.

24. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012

Cause he came first.

At one point in TCW, you had Sidious and you had Dooku and you had Grievous and you had the minions on the lowest levels... and... it became obvious that there were too many links in the chain if you ask me. At one point, Lucas and TCW crew kinda made a ton of mistakes with how they handled the CIS structure, the various CIS commanders and Separatist Leaders.

That I hope does not happen in this show. We also do not need to feel like this Inquisitor is hogging the spotlight that should be Vader's.

25. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    What I meant is that the Inquisitor looks like a generic Sith while Son doesn't.
    I agree soooo much.