main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Island: A "Luke in TLJ" Teeth Gnashers Perspective (see warning on page 9 before posting)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by -LordSkywalker-, Jan 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ByteSizeRick

ByteSizeRick Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2018
    Absolutely. But JJ has always been (rightly) derided as the "mystery box" guy. He can set hooks like no one in the business, but he can't (or has been uninterested prior to IX) in realizing the end result of those hooks. So it's no surprise that you have a weirdly shallow approach in Force Awakens. It was one I could forgive on the premise that this new trilogy was just getting started and that Rian Johnson could really flesh things out. It was much to my surprise that Last Jedi made things so much "smaller", and did so without any apparent interest in the overall world.

2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    TITLE UPDATE.
    No, Kylo was already lost. Nothing Luke did would have changed that, and he is NOT responsible for Kylo or his actions.

TK327, modaubr and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  3. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    You’re asking for things you didn’t get in the OT though. That’s my point.

Obi-wan doesn’t break down the different ways Vader fell to Luke. Some specific anecdotes might have been nice for Luke to say “I want to speak to the man who (and shared some nice prequel aspects there) beyond some vague generalities about him being a Jedi and mentioning his name. We don’t get that. We get very little from Obi-Wan about the role the Jedi council’s treatment could have played or any real regrets for what Obi-wan wished had gone differently. These are strengths of the ST that would have helped the OT too. We get more in the ST in 2 films in this way then we did in 3 in the OT.

Had the OT cared more about establishing some morality in Vader then, rather than needing 20 years and 3 films focused largely on that, instead of the OT’s equivalents Of Canto Bight (Exogorth, Cloud City hotel tour, dance sequences, droid torture chambers, or one of the silliest and most needlessly complex rescue attempts in film history (Han as art work) then the ending could have been even better in the 80s and 90s and not required 3 full films to flesh Vader out more.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  4. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    That remains to be seen. Based on what we know so far, the event between Ben and Luke is what caused him to leave and become Kylo ren.

2Cleva, MS1 and ChildOfWinds like this.
  5. -LordSkywalker-

-LordSkywalker- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Agreed.

I think its very unclear he is irredeemable before Luke’s mistake since over two films now we continually see the filmmakers hit you over the head with fact that their is still some light in Kylo. While he may look irredeemable at the end of TLJ the fact he still had this much conflict years later makes one wonder was he truly beyond saving if Luke spoke with him rather than igniting a lightsaber over him.

2Cleva, griffon2k, MS1 and 2 others like this.
  6. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Again, to anyone living in denial over Luke... there’s simply no denying the fact that rather than fight Vader in Empire he chose the “cowardly” (to use a term that some have used in describing his actions on Ahch-To) option of attempting to kill himself. He took the ultimate island option in that scenario when faced with a mind-blowing realization that impacted his perception of who he was and his enemy and if it had worked he would have left his friends and the galaxy alone.

He tried to kill himself. This happened. It can’t be waved away like some Jedi mind trick. There’s no setup that he studied the system prior. There’s no close up shot of the ventilation system blowing heavy objects around to safety to setup he was trying to live. There’s no Obi-wan voice over saying “Trust the Force. It will protect you. Don’t become what Vader wants.” There’s none of that and if it wasn’t suicide they would have given us that by design.

He decided he’d rather die than risk becoming like his father because when things get hard for Luke... he struggles. So, he jumped to his death and got incredibly lucky not once but twice and then cried while holding on for the second moment his “cowardice” nearly killed him and kept him out of a fight.

You can dislike that Rian Johnson studied Luke and decided to revisit these significant weaknesses in his character’s design to figure out what would bring him to the island but you can’t pretend Luke doesn’t have this inside himself as a character.

However you justify his suicide jump in Empire? Whatever defence mechanism you’ve built up to cope with that choice? However you see that moment? Use that same defence of Luke as a friend of his to justify his exile. It’s as simple as that.

7. -LordSkywalker-

Aug 3, 2013
    Actually there is since that is merely your interpretation of what Luke did there. One I have seen many people challenge you on.

My view is he did the exact opposite of what you are suggesting. The “cowardly” move would to be to take Vader’s hand and go down the path of evil. Instead he falls to say he would rather die then turn to evil. Which he again does in ROTJ.

8. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    The film states, in dialogue, that Kylo was already lost. That's the point of the entire scene. Luke reacts to what he sees in Kylo's soul and future, and the dialogue tells us that, so that the audience has that information. Kylo is a grown man and responsible for his own actions and choices.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Why not do what you’re angry he didn’t do on Ahch-To and fight Vader to the end to help protect the galaxy and his friends and the Rebellion?

However you justify this as an admirer of Luke should be how you justify his choice related to Ahch-To.

10. -LordSkywalker-

Aug 3, 2013
    You are putting words in my mouth and creating strawmen.

My issue with Luke was he gave up on a fight that was not lost yet. In ESB, he was beaten. Handless and weaponless. His options were go with Vader (be evil/be excuted) or die on his own terms a good man. A coward would have gone with Vader just so he could live on. That leap took all the courage in the world in my mind.

11. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    I agree! Plus, if Luke really had decided to become a pacifist and never use his lightsaber again, wouldn’t he have just left the lightsaber where he threw it instead of taking the time to pick it up and take it with him, even when time was of the essence?

Good discussions here, everyone. Thanks for opening this thread, @Lord Skywalker!

12. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    In universe dialog by Luke. There is also dialog by Han and Leia that suggests otherwise, along with Rey, that chronologically takes place after the event with Luke.

I simply said that it was that event which caused him to leave and take his journey to become Kylo ren. There are scenes in The Force Awakens that are designed to show there is struggle still within Kylo ren. "Forgive me. I feel it again. The pull to the light.".... This takes place AFTER the event with Luke. Snoke reiterates to Kylo that even he has not faced such a test when referring to his father Han Solo. Snoke knows Kylo ren is conflicted here. Even after Kylo kills Han, he is conflicted about doing the same to Leia.

All this takes place after the events with Luke. This is what fans are questioning, in many cases. Not the route they decided to go with Luke's character, but the route they chose in and of itself might not logically make sense for its own thematic arc, from the start of TFA to the end of TLJ.

13. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    Being maimed and beaten in battle and not allowing yourself to fall into enemy hands when the enemy just declared their grand plans for you and thus deciding to sacrifice your life sooner than let this happen is not in the least bit cowardly. It is heroic.

Being the catalyst for a new bad guy, your own nephew, being able-bodied and have the ability to do something, anything, yet still running away to lick your wounds somewhere is cowardly. It is also not remotely the same situation as the first.

Equating the two makes no sense to me. So people aren`t hypocritically overlooking weaknesses in one case that they are calling out on the other, they are looking at different things in the first place.

I can`t do that because those things are galaxies apart for me. I can`t justifiy him running away and hiding pre-TLJ with anything because there is no justification for it that holds up for me.

Whereas I don`t need to justify the jump in Empire in the first place. He couldn`t physically fight or resist anymore.

So much this.

After Ben he simply gave up when nothing was lost yet and odds were still at least even. I don`t question why Luke didn`t continue fighting anymore in Empire just as I never thought burnt-Anakin should still attempt to jump up and fight Obi-Wan. He was visually beaten.

14. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Had he decided to kill Kylo Ren it would have been easy too. Had he just let the Darkness that wanted him to in would have been easy. Had he got up and hunted him down in anger could have lead him to become like Vader without an army behind him realizing it. He did realize it. It took courage to admit he was a risk to the world and couldn’t be the hero the world wanted. He cut himself off from the Force entirely following that Dark Side moment. That’s huge. He loved the Force. He did that for others. He was selfless.

15. -LordSkywalker-

Aug 3, 2013
    Who is saying he had to hunt him anger. After some reflection he could have worked with Leia/Han etc. to figure out a plan to save the day while staying in the Light.

If you view his actions as courageous that is your right. I view it more that he was using that thought as weak justification to do nothing so he could wallow in self-pity.

Even taking his position at face value, he discussed stopping cycles purportedly perpetuated by the Jedi. Why couldn’t have have ended the Jedi and help end the current cycle. They are not mutually exclusive.

To me he took the cowardly route of hiding from his problems rather than acknowledging his mistake and going forward with a plan of how to right it as he did multiple times in the OT.

Alliyah Skywalker and nightangel like this.
  16. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    pretty sure Luke knew the Emperor was a force user. Didnt Vader mention a few times about him training under the Emperor?

And Luke attacked him after he revealed that it was a trap. He was ready to die with all of them but once the Emp revealed that he could still win,that's when Luke went into attack. He didnt simply attack for the hell of it, he did it to protect the Rebels.

"already lost" when he saw into the future, when he looks in you hear all these saber sounds and people screaming. None of that was shown as events that already happened, he went to confront him because he showed a bit of darkness during training.

This is basically ESB all over again, Luke fell into a trap setup by a dark side user.

griffon2k and -LordSkywalker- like this.
  17. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    To me that’s Anakin pre-fall in crisis AND wreckless Luke trying to commit suicide rather than fighting with every last ounce of fight he had left in him to see how it would play out simply by trying.

And to me... that makes sense. Especially when you factor in Yoda and Obi-Wan’s advice earlier to be willing to stay away if he believes in the larger fight of Dark vs Light. Him turning at any point is too risky. So, he shuts himself off from the Force entirely.

18. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    And I think he did that for himself because he was too ashamed to face his own actions. It was easier to hide from them and make up excuses for his own behaviour. To me that neither take courage nor was it selfless or in service of others.

I`m not convinced he genuinely feared what would happen to him if he took action so much as that was something he could tell himself to make his own failure more acceptable to him. And while he sat things out, he knew actual bad guys took actual actions. Not just some hypothetical construct of "might be". And actual people had to fight and suffer and clean up that mess.

It`s Han Solo`s mini-arc in ANH. When Luke calls him out on just leaving before the Death Star run because the rebellion was in need of good Pilots. And then he came back and helped save the day because, well, he discovered his own inner hero depite himself.

Thing is, for Luke that process took 6 full years and my patience runneth out after so much time. And my expectations for a satisfying redemptions are much higher than. Was this one instance providing a distraction for twenty people to flee really enough for Luke to feel he did his due? That he could go into the force with his head held high? If so, low standards.

19. -LordSkywalker-

Aug 3, 2013
    And your entitled to that view just as much as I am to mine. In acknowledging that it is clear to me that our divergent views on Luke in the film go well beyond his arc in this film but go back to his arc in the OT.

So how could we possibly view Luke anywhere near the same given our polar opposite views of Luke in all the movies.

20. Qui-Gon Keith

Qui-Gon Keith Jedi Master star 2

Oct 5, 2015

Exactly. 24 years after first surrendering himself to Vader, appealed to his light side, later tossed away his saber after going all ballistic on Vader, Luke regressed back to his ESB state when he tried to read his sleeping nephew's mind and decided what he saw is what's going to happen. So instead of Luke learning Yoda's lesson from ESB ("Always in motion, the future is"), this Luke just regressed back to ESB Luke. Yes, I know, you will always fight the dark side blah, blah, blah. I saw Luke struggled with it in ROTJ. I didn't need to see him do that again just because the story calls for Kylo to be portrayed in a more sympathetic light.

This is what people want from Luke in the ST? Count me out then.

21. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I agree that TFA has moments that make Kylo's state of being ambiguous. But, I think Kylo lies to himself. And, I think Leia's view is compromised because she's his mother. Other than his not firing on Leia, his actions have been consistently evil, and he didn't seem to mind firing on the base she was in at the end. I trust Luke's view. He was certainly right when he tried to warn Rey not to go. In any case, Kylo made his choices. Nothing Luke did caused him to murder his fellow students. He could have simply left. Instead we discover that he had already turned several of Luke's other students. That's something that doesn't get brought up much. Kylo was already recruiting. He was lost.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  22. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    What do you mean ? What had Ben done at that point to be regarded as 'lost' ?

griffon2k likes this.
  23. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Omg Luke was not cowardly in ESB. Even as a child I saw Luke letting go and falling as the most amazingly courageous move ever. Damn I love ESB. It hit me deep haha.

Ben was not already lost before he acted on the dark side. To buy that undercuts everything SW has been to this point. Then again, the motto of TLJ is burn it all down...

24. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Well for one, Luke's dialogue.
    "I saw darkness. I’d sensed it building in him. I’d seen it in moments during his training. But then I looked inside, and it was beyond what I ever imagined. Snoke had already turned his heart. He would bring destruction, and pain, and death, and the end of everything I love because of what he will become. And for the briefest moment of pure instinct, I thought I could stop it. It passed like a fleeting shadow. And I was left with shame, and with consequence."

Then he mentions that Kylo had already turned some of his other students (Knights Of Ren). He was already recruiting others to the dark side. Kylo's actions are HIS fault, not Luke's. Luke blamed himself because he's that kind of person. Kylo blames others because he can't grow up.

TK327 likes this.
  25. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Just take Irvin Kershner's words about the Luke vs Vader fight: "He is facing this evil and he has fear but he blocks attacks and fights him...."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.