main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Jar Jar Binks Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by CoolyFett, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016

Took a decade or two.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  2. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    Huh? The tweet does not load :(

3. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Tweet was deleted for some reason. it just said Ahmed Best was getting alot of love at celebration. people chanting his name ect ect.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    KyleKartan likes this.
  4. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    This made me so happy.

5. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I was no fan of the character but give the man another part in one of the tv shows already! Fairs fair.

6. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    It would be nice to bring him back into star wars in somehow. just this time more with more love than a decade of abuse.

The guy is probably owed it at this point.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    TOASTEROVEN and CoolyFett like this.
  7. KyleKartan

Feb 4, 2004
    Well he was back as Jar Jar big time in TCW! :)

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  8. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    True, but that was before this new phase of Star Wars.

Just bring him back for something, whether its Jar Jar or a completely different character. give him another 2 decades of love rather than the previous 2 decades of the opposite.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  9. KyleKartan

Feb 4, 2004
  10. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I think Jar Jar was at his funniest in the battle. He also was useful to Padme and Qui-Gon by providing the location of the Gungans beforehand. Also, Jar Jar's episodes in TCW are pretty cool.

MarcJordan and Subtext Mining like this.
  11. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Three years ago, Ahmed said that he'll never return to Star Wars.
    Do you think he's had a change of heart after getting so much love from the fans?

12. Sephiroth1335

Sephiroth1335 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2019
    X number of years later it's nice to have this counterpoint because when the movies came out it seemed like the only thing people could agree on was that Jar Jar was a bad character..

That said I've posted about this twice in a short time and there's so much to Star Wars so I'm not like well all we need to do is ressurect Jar jar's character...

Yeah that sounds like a good idea to me.

13. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Love the idea of a Jar Jar Binks Appreciation Thread. As I mentioned in the thread celebrating the twentieth anniversary of Phantom Menace, Jar Jar was always an amusing character to me. Everything about him from the loping way he walks to the way he talks is comical to me. As a kid, I remember roaring with laughter at his antics around Anakin's Podracer and when Qui-Gon caught him reaching out his tongue to steal fruit at Shmi's table. His tendency to panic on the underwater trip to Theed when monsters attack and at the Battle of the Naboo also were effective ways of reducing the tension with humor, which I appreciated when I was a kid.

There is a childlike innocence about Jar Jar especially in Phantom Menace. Though often clumsy with his thoughts and words, he is ultimately well-intentioned and does try to help Padme when he can. It was tragic to watch Palpatine manipulate his innocence and his good intentions later on in the Prequels, but I think that was a good way to show Palpatine's evil and the overall death of innocence in the Prequels as the series progressed.

I also must say that to this day I sometimes imitate Jar Jar's words like "mesa" to get a laugh from my family members. It is done with love, not with contempt. Jar Jar is probably second only to Yoda in terms of Star Wars characters we imitate, so that has to be a strong testament to how much we appreciate Jar Jar.

As for Ahmed Best, it is a pity how much he was ripped for his role as Jar Jar Binks. I think he played Jar Jar remarkably well, and even if people didn't like Jar Jar as a character, they still should have been able to separate Jar Jar from the man who played him and confined their criticisms to Jar Jar instead of making cruel comments about Ahmed Best. I'm glad that he is finally starting to get some of the love he deserves and that some of the people who were cruel to him for playing Jar Jar Binks are starting to regret those comments. That is positive growth, and good to see Jar Jar inspire that.

14. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017
    [​IMG]

The true Dark Dark Lord Of The Sith

Fistful Of Fistos likes this.
  15. Merric

Merric Jedi Master star 3

Jan 26, 2013
    I remember seeing TPM for the first time when I was just a kid, maybe 6 years old, and Jar Jar was immediately my moms favorite thing about movie. She even called him cute. Because of that I loved him too and was shocked when I got my first desktop computer years later and found out through forums that the entire world had hated him with a passion.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  16. Feologild

Feologild Jedi Knight

Nov 9, 2016
    I think he was an pointless character that there really was no need for, but i never really had much problem with him.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  17. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    There's an argument to made that Lucas spent more time developing Jar Jar's personality in TPM in comparison to those of the other characters. As such, as absurd and annoying as Jar Jar is, he's the one with the most written out personality. As such, when the viewers look at Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Padme, they come off as wooden next to Jar Jar.

I didn't mind Jar Jar as a kid. But it seems laughable that Lucas actually said, "Jar Jar's the key to all this." It is as though he believed his own farce. It's comparable to saying Lois Lane is the key in Batman vs. Superman. (I'm critiquing Zack Snyder. I love Amy Adams an actor.) Jar Jar was not a good idea. If they had made him a little silly as opposed to what he was, that wouldn't have been so problematic.

18. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    While Jar Jar is often cited as a comic relief stand-in for 3PO, I would like to postulate that he also serves as a stand-in for Chewbacca.

That is, as the representative of the "divine animal" side of man, as coined by many philosophers and psychologists. While Wookies and Gungans are both sentient and conscious, I feel they still serve as a symbol for the more archaic instincts that reside deep within us, to just do what must be done, which are often overlooked while we over-ruminate in our modern conscious minds.

And by primitive instincts, I don't merely refer to aggression and greed, I'm also referring to the instincts of cooperation and altruism that have helped us survive.

Case in point, Han had decided to leave Yavin and abandon the rebellion in a time of great need. According to most legends it was Chewbacca who convinced him to return and help. (Hinted at by his rebuttal in the hangar before they left).

And while Queen Amidala was trying to avoid armed conflict at all costs, it was Jar Jar who instinctively invoked the Gungan army to help in the defense of Naboo, which Amidala ultimately decided to use as a diversion.

Anyway, I haven't seen any Jar Jar laden TROS posters yet, c'mon internet!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    devilinthedetails likes this.
  19. Frisco

Frisco Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 21, 2019
    I must admit that the "divine animal" theory is new to me. And will likely color my future viewings of the entirety of the saga!

devilinthedetails likes this.
  20. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    From my understanding, Jar Jar's personality largely consists of what Ahmed Best brought to it, pre-packaged. If I'm not mistaken it was basically a character he used when playing with his nephew and niece? This is why Lucas hired him specifically.

And again, according to my understanding, "Jar Jar is the key to all of this" refers to getting the CGI Animation working adequately. Basically he meant, once we can get Jar Jar's animation right, everything else animation-wise will fall into place much more easily.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  21. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    It's so weird how the fans read so much meaning into all these innocuous comments Lucas makes. "Jar Jar is the key to all this." "I may have gone too far in a few places." "It's like poetry, it rhymes."

Like jeez guys, these aren't the Nixon tapes. You can stop looking for that one fatal statement that will bring the guy down.

22. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    "We filmed in a desert. A real desert."

Oh wait....

23. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    While re-watching "The Phantom Menace" last spring, I noticed that there were a few scenes featuring Jar-Jar that I found very funny. Oh, and I've seen Ahmed Best in person in Los Angeles. It was a thrill.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  24. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
  25. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Interesting. Is that show going to be like a trivia show? Does anyone know?