main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census The JC Hogwarts House Cup - Version 18 - Winner: Ravenclaw

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by NYCitygurl, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    Ditto :p

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Okay, what I've gotten so far is:

• People like a lot of the new tasks but miss a lot of the old tasks, so a future list should include both.

• Not as many videos/non-computer work.

• No group work.

• More time.

#1: That can happen.

#2: That can also happen.

#3: That can also also happen.

#4: That's a big one. The game used to happen in 7 weeks; this time, we did it in 9. Are people busier now? More interested in other things? Theoretically, we can extend the game, but I don't know that it's feasible to keep peoples' interests for more than a couple months.

Also, someone brought up having more time between games. There was a couple weeks shy of a year between the last game ending and this one starting. Doing one a year is fine, but do people really want to wait longer between games?

What did you all think about Dramatic Spirit as a replacement for Quiddich Spirit? (And if anyone has an idea for another category, I can switch that one around next time.)

3. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Holy crap, Mi. That's a lot of points! :eek:

Congratulations, all! :D

What did you like? What didn't you like? What would you like to see more/less of next time?

Less video tasks. Having each House say what they liked from the others was a good idea. A great way to get feedback.

And, whether you loved the new tasks or hated them, were there enough tasks you did like? What you do think about a future task list with half repeat tasks and half new-ish tasks?
    Not really. Like the fan fiction section didn't seem to have a much variety as before. The Dramatic Spirit category was way too much. Take two or three tasks from that category, put them somewhere else and axe it. The tasks seemed repetitive. I don't think the category even needs replaced, just lose it all together.

Do you have any other thoughts/questions/suggestions etc.?
    About the time issue, the game lasts long enough. It's really hard to keep people interested for seven or more weeks. It's way too easy to forget. What about shortening the number of tasks to fit the number of weeks? A year between games is plenty of time. Make it longer and people will lose interest. If someone looses interest, they aren't going to do the tasks.

4. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Okay, seriously, how did everyone else manage to fail more than us? :p

What did you like?

The make a drink task was cute
    The Peeves Sorting Song was fun, though I must admit I'm still not sure how that differed from all the Sorting Songs I'd written in the past :p
    Prophet was good, but for Mi's sanity it needs to be worth more.
    HPize a comic strip
    The 50 sentence challenge was a nice change. Maybe next time change it up using one of the prompt sets from the LJ comm?
    Musical scene was win

What didn't you like?

SO MANY VIDEO TASKS
    Related, tasks that involved having two people physically in the same room
    Tasks that involved purchasing physical materials. They don't really fit the online nature of the game
    I must admit I wasn't crazy about a lot of the "go post in this part of the JC" tasks. I like the game online and contained :p
    I found a lot of the fanfic prompts kinda... badficky.
    The collaborative tasks were just asking for trouble. Especially the fanfic one given we had a House up and disappear.
    Sending us to TV Tropes is not conductive to NOT PROCRASTINATING :p Also, the HP fandom is a little to thorough in adding stuff to that page for it to work.

What would you like to see more/less of next time?

I WANTS MY PARODIES. You may have figured this out by how many of our tasks were song parodies ANYWAY.
    I miss the MSTs
    Abstract art!
    Could we get the old "Make a language" task back? [face_batting]

And, whether you loved the new tasks or hated them, were there enough tasks you did like? What you do think about a future task list with half repeat tasks and half new-ish tasks?

A lot of the old tasks were classics for a reason. Some of them needed to go away after being done to death, but things like song parodies are so general that they stay and are frankly my FAVOURITEST TASK EVER. Some new tasks would be good too, as long as the logistics are actually though through.

5. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    The Dramatic Spirit category was way too much. Take two or three tasks from that category, put them somewhere else and axe it. The tasks seemed repetitive. I don't think the category even needs replaced, just lose it all together.

I agree with that. The Dramatic Spirit tasks could easily be split into Creative Spirit and Literary Spirit. Quidditch Spirit might be a bit too much (I mean, there's only so many Quidditch accessories or new moves you can invent), and the rest of it could be dumped into Creative Spirit.

6. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    Yubs, it's because the other house have people who task in the beginning and then disappear. We, on the other hand, do barely anything for the first few weeks and then task like crazy the last week. Score one for procrastination. :p

7. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I want to like this post.

8. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I also second that the fanfic prompts are very bad!fic-y.

Like someone else said, the "make a physical object" task is cool.. but I'd only limit it to 1.

The Sporcle quiz was fine, but yeah, the TV tropes was a) HARD. and b, helped way too much with procrastination.

As for the Daily Prophet, either make it more, or someone remind me that it doesn't have to be amazing. :p

Oh! And the majority of the votes were for the Diadem icon.

9. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Seconded.

10. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Next time, I want to not have a life to attend to.

Um, I'll come back later with appropriate thoughts. Show opens Thursday.

11. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Can we get our icon yet?

12. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    What did you like? What didn't you like? What would you like to see more/less of next time?

I thought some of the task additions were good ones. I enjoyed the twists on some old classics as well as the ones that got us interacting with HP related threads on this board.

Didn't like: I think the rules should be revised. Hufflepuff should have been dissolved early on and those members should have been allowed to go off to another house. I'm also not wild about 10th hour allowances for users to join a house. Perhaps the week of being the deadline. Something reasonable fine, but allowing it right up to the deadline seems a bit much.

More: Smaller tasks with a few points. It's easier for the house members who disappear later to do these early on.

Less: I feel some of those massive point tasks were just to overwhelming for some people so they quit. Also, I don't enjoy tasks that depend on resources that may not be available to all teams. These tasks should be ones anybody can do. At least artistic things can be hand drawn if not digital for example. And musical is mostly written with only a few bonuses for actual recordings.

Actually, there were many tasks I did like but simply couldn't get to. So I'm fine with half repeats and half new.
    Do you have any other thoughts/questions/suggestions etc.?
    :)

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Ravenclaw icon up! (Sorry, just got back and didn't have time to check the thread last night.)

14. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Can you fix it so it's the right aspect ratio? It's supposed to be WS.

15. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Yay it looks normal now!

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Sorry about that!

17. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    I took this for all the Ravenclaws out there!

[image=https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/302636_10101310989837734_8365821_77544333_1525556123_n.jpg]

18. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Bah. The coat of arms on that flag is all wrong... [face_talk_hand]

No one has ever messed up the Slytherin coat of arms... :cool:

19. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Don't be a hater, Mar.

20. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000