main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Census The JC Hogwarts House Cup - Version 18 - Winner: Ravenclaw

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by NYCitygurl, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    If it happens again, submit a support ticket from the Admin CP.

2. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    [hl=darkred]Gryffindor Update For Week 4[/hl]

Books

What does Albus Dumbledore really see in the Mirror of Erised? 10 points.

I believe Albus Dumbledore really sees himself standing with Ariana Dumbledore, much like Harry saw himself standing with his relations, the Potters. Dumbledore felt strongly about his sister and was devastated when she was accidently killed; it permanently altered his relationship with his previously best friend Gellert Grindelwald. However, I believe the relationship with his brother was more strained, and Aberforth would not have been seen in the mirror.

- darthhelinith

House Pride

Create a Facebook page for your House. Include bio info, quotes from your housemates, and photos (they don?t have to be of the players, they can be movie stills with characters from your House or something). 40 points.

[link=http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gryffindor-House/275021299175023]Gryffindor House[/link]

- LilyHobbitJedi

Musical Spirit

Pick a song (any song, from instrumental to Kanye) that you think should be playing during a scene. May do up to 15. 5 points.

1. Grapevine Fires by Death Cab for Cutie ? Voldemort's second rise to power.
    2. Hot N Cold by Katy Perry ? Ron and Lavender
    3. I Wouldn't Be a Man by Josh Turner ? Harry and Ginny's kiss in the Weasly's kitchen
    4. Disturbia by Rihanna ? Bellatrix Lestrange's anthem
    5. King of Anything by Sara Bareilles ? When Lily was completely disgusted by James
    6. If I Die Young by The Band Perry ? Dobby's funeral
    7. Get Out Alive by Three Days Grace ? Malfoy's thoughts when Voldemort took his wand
    8. Monster by Skillet ? When Remus turned into a Werewolf
    9. Stand in the Rain by Superchick ? "When the love of Hermione's life left her, she continued to search for the keys to destroying the world's most powerful Dark Wizard."
    10. Someday You Will Be Loved by Death Cab for Cutie ? Lavender, after the breakup.
    11. 45 by Shine Down ? The pressure and impending doom of Harry's fate
    12. If Love was a Plane by Brad Paisley ? All the relationships in Harry Potter
    13. When I Say I Do by Matthew West ? Bill and Fleur's Wedding
    14. The Devil Came Back to Georgia by The Charlie Daniels Band ? All the times Voldemort was defeated and came back for more
    15. Go The Distance from Hercules ? Harry's quest to be a hero and finally find a place where he belongs

- QueenArdnassak

Absolutely Random

If your House was a fast-food restaurant, what would it be? 5 points.

Gryffindor would be most comparable to Subway, because it was a risk and took exceptional courage to open a fast-food sandwich shop when the market is cluttered with burger joints. Also, Subway opened the door for other entrepreneurs to delve into fresher and healthier fast-food options, just as much as Gryffindor has paved the way for bringing out the best in its students so that they can succeed later in life.

- JEDIGUNSHIP

If one of your Housemates was an HP character, who would he/she be and why? May do up to 3. 10 points.

Earwen_Lightrider: She would be Harry Potter, because she never backs down from a challenge, even when the odds are stacked against her, and she inspires those around her to do well.

darthhelinith: She would be Luna Lovegood, because although she can be a little random at times, she is a hard worker who always manages to use her boundless sense of creativity to create masterpieces in many fields of artistic talent.

LilyHobbitJedi: She would be Hermione Granger, because she always has a solution to a problem, and is really good with words. She is an exceptionally good worker, and doesn?t back down from a challenge.

- JEDIGUNSHIP

What was your favorite task from another House last week? Share what it was and why you like it. May do 3 per week (one from each House). (Obviously, can only be done Weeks 2-8.) Suggested by Mar17swgirl. 10 points each.

Favorite Tasks from Week 3

From Ravenclaw:

Take a quote of any length from any book and change it so it fits the HP world. (Incl

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    You know, for a bunch of procrastinators, we're always the first to post our updates...

[hl=darkblue]RAVENCLAW WEEK 4 UPDATE

BOOKS
    [/hl]

If you were to rename a book, what would you call it and why? May do up to 7 (one for each book). 5 points.

1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer?s Stone changed to Harry Potter and the Mirror of Erised
    2. Chamber of Secrets changed to Tom Riddle?s Diary
    3. Prisoner of Azkaban changed to Harry Potter and the Werewolf
    4. Goblet of Fire changed to The Return of Lord Voldemort
    5. Order of the Phoenix changed to The Weasley?s Last Stand
    6. Half-Blood Prince changed to The Locket
    7. Deathly Hallows changed to Harry Potter and the Horcruxes

[s65horsey]

[hl=darkblue]MOVIES[/hl]

Do you think ending DH Part I with Harry burying Dobby was a good choice? Why or why not? 15 points.

I love where they ended DH Part 1. It was exactly as I envisioned it after reading Book 7 and hearing they were going to split it into two movies. There was enough that occurred previously in the book to make it more than acceptable to have the movie end there. The audience sees action in Godric?s Hollow and the narrow escape from the snake and Voldemort. We also see conflict and resolution in Ron?s leaving and return at the lake to save Harry.

Finally the movie reaches its climax with the trio getting caught by the snatchers and then ending up at the Malfoy?s house. Hermione is tortured and somehow Dobby comes to the rescue. It was also a very fitting end for the house elf who adores Harry Potter. I think if the movie had continued from there it would?ve taken away from Dobby?s sacrifice for Harry. I also think it would have left too little for the final movie if they had put in the next conflict of breaking into Gringotts and I fear they wouldn?t have spent as much time on that portion if they had attempted to squeeze it into DH Part 1.

[s65horsey]

[hl=darkblue]THINGS THAT WERE[/hl]

What famous real-life people (dead or alive) are actually wizards, and what are/were they particularly talented in? May do up to 10 (and you can?t use Charlie Sheen; that?s just too easy ). 5 points.

1. Albert Einstein is a wizard and he?d be talented in Alchemy
    2. Paris Hilton is a wizard and she?d be talented in Metamorphmagy which is why she looks so good all the time.
    3. Nicholas Cage has always seemed like a snake to me so he would have Parseltongue.
    4. Steve Jobs is a seer with the ability to predict the future
    5. Peyton Manning would be the best quidditch chaser in the world.
    6. Oprah Winfrey is skilled at Legillimency. Her ability to get people to talk to her is amazing and has helped her build an empire.
    7. Patrick Roy would be the best quidditch goalkeeper in history
    8. Leonard Nimoy is skilled at Apparition and Disapparition.
    9. Angelina Jolie is of the Veela heritage and has the ability to woo any male
    10. Benjamin Franklin was the greatest spell inventor of all time. His inventions changed the shape of the world in more ways that we know.

[s65horsey]

[hl=darkblue]CREATIVE SPIRIT[/hl]

Create a banner for your house. Include your House?s colors, characters from your House, House quotes, etc. 45 points.
    Bonus: Make it specific to SFF: Books and Comics (so it can actually go up there). 5 points.

[link=http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b248/legomania4/banner.jpg]Ravenclaw Banner[/link]

[Miana Kenobi]

[hl=darkblue]RANDOM[/hl]

What was your favorite task from another House last week?

From Slytherin, I loved the icons. They were very well made, very clear, original, and just cool looking.

From Gryffindor, I completely agree with helinith's argument that Voldemort had the most affect on Harry's life. It's someone we don't really think about but it's absolutely true.

[Miana Kenobi]

4. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Cure you, Stalker. You posted while I was spell-checking. :p

5. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Force Ghost star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    [hl=darkgreen]SLYTHERIN WEEK 4 UPDATE

ARTISTIC SPIRIT
    [/hl]

Create and draw/paint/etc. your own dragon. Give information on what type of dragon it is, where it?s from, what it likes to eat, etc. 100 points.

[image=http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/Tauriel/JC_Hogwarts_Cup/himalayan_dragon.jpg]

Himalayan Frostbreath (Draco niveus himalaya)
    The Himalayan Frostbreath is native to the high mountainous regions of Nepal and Tibet. It is the only breed of dragon that does not breathe fire, but frost (liquid air at temperatures around -200°C). It hunts mostly yaks, preferring to freeze them first, then carrying them to its cave nest, where it consumes them or, especially in winter, stores them for later.

Another unique feature of the Frostbreath is that it has fur, as well as scales. The scales are pearly white and cover its belly; the fur is white and covers its head, back and legs. Adult males also grow a long silvery blue mane and long-haired tail.

The Frostbreath has a sleek body about 8 metres long (though males can sometimes grow up to 10 metres), thin elongated head crowned with four blue horns and golden-yellow eyes. Its eggs are deep navy blue with a metallic sheen, and their powdered shells are the main ingredient of the Frost Resistance Potion. The mane of adult Frostbreaths is a highly valued material for luxury winter cloaks, being an excellent insulation against cold and also being able to resist minor curses (especially flame- and heat-based ones).

[Mar17swgirl]

[b][hl=darkgreen][color=silver]ABSOLUTELY RANDOM[/color][/hl][/b]

[b]What was your favorite task from another House last week? Share what it was and why you like it. May do 3 per week (one from each House). (Obviously, can only be done Weeks 2-8.) Suggested by Mar17swgirl. 10 points each.[/b]

1.From [b] [color=darkblue]RAVENCLAW[/color][/b]
    I agree with FelsGoddess' comment about how the omission of showing Fred's death harmed both Harry's character and cheapened Fred's death. It's an important point for the movie as a whole, and I'm glad that I'm not the only fan who was a little sore that it was cut out.

2. From [b][color=darkred]GRYFFINDOR[/color][/b]
    I like the unique choice of Voldemort for the one who influenced Harry the most in his life - it's definitely true (for reasons darthhelineth has already outline), and I would also argue that the shadow of Voldemort would follow Harry for the entirety of his life. Harry is defined by his association with Voldemort.

[i][Idrelle_Miocovani][/i]

[hr]>

6. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    IMPORTANT: TASK CHANGE

Since Hufflepuff (theoretically) has 4 players, all tasks that say "can do as many as people in lowest house (so at the moment, three)" has been changed to 4.

WEEK FIVE POINTS

[hl=darkgreen]SLYTHERIN[/hl]: 1,695
    [hl=darkblue]RAVENCLAW[/hl]: 670
    [hl=darkred]GRYFFINDOR[/hl]: 455
    [hl=black]HUFFLEPUFF[/hl]: -150

[hl=darkgreen]Idrelle_Miocovani[/hl]: 930
    [hl=darkblue]Miana Kenobi[/hl]: 405
    [hl=darkgreen]Mar17swgirl[/hl]: 400
    [hl=darkred]QueenArdnassak[/hl]: 180
    [hl=darkred]Earwen_Lightrider[/hl]: 160
    [hl=darkgreen]Qui-Gon_Reborn[/hl]: 125
    [hl=darkblue]s65horsey[/hl]: 120
    [hl=darkgreen]Cobranaconda[/hl]: 100
    [hl=darkblue]FelsGoddess[/hl]: 95
    [hl=darkgreen]JediVegeta[/hl]: 80
    [hl=darkgreen]yodaminch[/hl]: 60
    [hl=darkred]darthhelinith[/hl]: 40
    [hl=darkblue]Daughter_of_YubYub[/hl]: 35
    [hl=darkred]LilyHobbitJedi[/hl]: 60
    [hl=darkred]JEDIGUNSHIP[/hl]: 15
    [hl=darkred]_princess-leia_[/hl]: 0
    [hl=darkblue]CodeName_Targeter[/hl]: 0
    [hl=darkred]jchef[/hl]: 0
    [hl=darkgreen]JEDI_TEEGIRLOO[/hl]: 0
    [hl=black]Katana_Sundancer[/hl]: 0
    [hl=darkblue]LouQuinn[/hl]: 0
    [hl=darkblue]Master_Jaina1011[/hl]: 0
    [hl=black]Merlin_Ambrosius69[/hl]: 0
    [hl=black]NicolasZN[/hl]: 0
    [hl=black]TwinJediGirl[/hl]: 0
    [hl=darkblue]wedge41388[/hl]: 0

Since we are halfway through the game, I'd like to remind you all that you have to do 65 points to avoid a game ban.

7. Earwen_Lightrider

Jan 17, 2004
    Heehee. Also, I could totally use a cure right now - feeling a bit under the weather. :)

8. Earwen_Lightrider

Jan 17, 2004
    [link=http://blog.lettersandlight.org/post/10522340637][hl=black]WE MISS YOU HUFFLEPUFF![/hl] *enlists several house-elves in a search party*[/link]

9. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    [hl=darkblue]RAVENCLAW WEEK WHATEVER UPDATE

MOVIES
    [/hl]

Vote in the ?What is your favorite HP movie v3? poll. Then post and explain why. May do as many as smallest House has players (so, 3 ? though I encourage everyone to vote anyway). 10 points.

I would have to say Chamber of Secrets. It wasn't a rage-filled angstfest or the plothole mind field later movies were.

[FelsGoddess]

I voted DH Part 2. I love how finally after many years the good guys get to win. Neville Longbottom was amazing in this movie. They also did a fantastic job of staying fairly true to the book with only minor complaints from me.

[s65horsey]

I voted for DH2. I enjoyed it and I thought it was everything I imagined the ending would be. Plus I saw it three times and I really loved that Neville became such a leader and hero.

[Master_Jaina1011]

[hl=darkblue]HOUSE PRIDE[/hl]

Create an ORIGINAL signature food or drink for your House. Describe what?s in it, how it?s made, and why it represents your House. 15 points.
    BONUS: Actually made the dish/drink, take a photo, and tell us how it tastes. 30 points.

I call this drink "Late Night Inspiration"

2 oz. Captain Morgan
    1 oz. Tennessee Honey Whiskey
    12 oz. Coca-Cola
    5 oz. A&W Root Beer

[image=http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b248/legomania4/IMG_20110918_225441.jpg]

Pour alcohol first. Add soda.

How does this represent our house? Well Ravenclaw's always had a long history with the Sloshed Stus, who are the true heroes of Hogwarts behind the scenes who get drunk a lot. Therefore, it's only fitting that this be an alcoholic drink. It's got rum, because just like our House, why is the rum always gone? I specifically used Honey Whiskey in honor of the beloved honey badger, because just like him, Ravenclaw doesn't give a ****. As for Coca-Cola and Root Beer, they are both bronze colored drinks, like our house color. And lastly, I even put it all in a big blue cup.

[image=http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b248/legomania4/IMG_20110918_230246.jpg]

How does it taste? Not bad. Gonna be mighty drunk once this is done, though.

*WARNING* - This drink takes over 3 hours to consume. It also gets you VERY drunk.

[Miana Kenobi]

[hl=darkblue]RANDOM[/hl]

Week 4

From Gryffindor, I like the Mirror of Erised task. I completely agree that Dumbledore was a haunted man and that above everything else, he would see Ariana in the mirror.

From Slytherin, the dragon was really really pretty! I don't think I read any of the specs on it, but it was pretty!

[Miana Kenobi]

10. Earwen_Lightrider

Jan 17, 2004
    [hl=darkred]Gryffindor Update For Week 5[/hl]

Things That Were

How did Filch get his job at Hogwarts? 5 points.

Annoyed at his inability to perform magic and frustrated by the teasing Argus Filch received from his peers - he befriended the previous caretaker of Hogwarts during his years in attendance. He became the resident snitch of the school, reporting any unruly conduct to the caretaker to be taken care of. This, it seemed, was somewhat satisfactory as revenge on the classmates that taunted him. As a result, the caretaker taught him the tricks of his trade and Filch came to Hogwarts highly recommended when the caretaker retired. The previous caretaker was Mrs. Norris, an unregistered Animagus, who preferred living in her cat form, who was able to remain on staff as Argus Filch's furry companion. Only Argus knows her secret. Those that hired Filch only suspect that he found the mangy cat and named it after his predecessor. No one bothered to report or inquire into the disappearance of Mrs. Norris.

- EarwenLightrider

Creative Spirit

Create a Harry Potter crossword puzzle (you can find a blank template on Google). You must include at least 50 words total, and they have to work down and across, just like a real crossword. 50 points.

[image=http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii90/NataLekku/HouseCup/HPCrossword.jpg]

Across
    1. least popular Headmaster of Hogwarts
    3. to turn a wand into a light
    5. to summon
    8. founder of S.P.E.W.
    10. the spell Lockhart used to become famous
    11. Luna's roaring hat
    15. turns an object into a Portkey
    18. The Boy Who Lived
    25. useful in healing minor injuries
    27. Headmaster when Chamber of Secrets first opened
    28. SNEAK
    29. Disarming Charm
    35. ghost of Gryffindor tower
    39. talking to snakes
    41. Severing Charm
    44. lost an ear
    45. before he sparkled
    46. the club made up of Slughorn's favorite students
    47. Royal
    48. sock lover
    50. from Rodent to Rapier
    Down
    2. an Unforgivable Curse granting control
    4. spell created by Snape and used by Harry on Draco
    6. lost his son in the Triwizard Tournament
    7. gave Professor Slughorn Francis
    9. to open that which is locked
    12. Avada Kedavra does this
    13. mother of seven
    14. incarnation of caster's innermost positive feelings
    16. Padfoot was which Sirius Black
    17. retired in order to enjoy more time with his remaining limbs
    19. Hagrid's dragon
    20. listened only to Albus Dumbledore and the Bloody Baron
    21. River
    22. Hagrid's half-Giant love interest
    23. wizard born muggle
    24. a spell used to duplicate
    26. disguised himself as an armchair
    30. hated his R sweater
    31. for hours of stair sliding fun
    32. non-magical human
    33. blasting curse
    34. an easy way to move a Christmas tree
    36. Harry's first crush
    37. worst memory is calling the girl he loved a Mudblood
    38. Muggle-born witch or wizard
    39. result of Wizard inbreeding
    40. Hagrid's first name
    42. punched by Granger
    43. Romulus
    49. inflicts unbearable pain on the recipient

I have an answer key that is available via PM request.

- Earwen_Lightrider

Absolutely Random

How did you get into the world of HP? May do up to number of lowest House (so, right now, 4). If anyone else wants to share, they can, just not for points. 15 points

Oddly enough. The JC Hogwarts House Cup (Version 10) is what got me involved in the world of Harry Potter. Years ago (late 04/early 05), ShasaWaterwalker was participating and asked me if I would help her with a song recording she needed to do for the game. I gladly helped her and the info she shared about the books intrigued me. So I borrowed the book from a friend to see what it was all about and that's all it took. I only ended up needing to wait for book 7 to come out, because book 6 came out before I finished book 5.

- EarwenLightrider

What was your favorite task from another House last week? Share what it was and why you like it. May do 3 per week (one from each House). (Obviously, can only be done Weeks 2-8.) Suggested by Mar17swgirl. 10 points each.

Favorite Tasks from Week 4

Fro

11. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    [hl=darkgreen]SLYTHERIN WEEK 4 UPDATE

ARTISTIC SPIRIT
    [/hl]

Design a new Dumbledore?s Army symbol. 40 points.

[image=http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/Tauriel/JC_Hogwarts_Cup/da_logo.jpg]

[Mar17swgirl]

[b][hl=darkgreen][color=silver]ABSOLUTELY RANDOM[/color][/hl][/b]

[b]What was your favorite task from another House last week? Share what it was and why you like it. May do 3 per week (one from each House). (Obviously, can only be done Weeks 2-8.) Suggested by Mar17swgirl. 10 points each.[/b]

1.From [b] [color=darkblue]RAVENCLAW[/color][/b]
    Loved the real life section about who were actually wizards. I particularly liked Franklin, Jobs and Cage (the Parseltongue comment XD). He also apparently could have been a wizard thanks to a Civil War era picture that surfaced that looked almost like him. Hmmmm? ;)

I like reading other's perspectives on this particular topic and I can see where you are coming from with and how you support it. I don't know if Aberforth would have been there?definitely Ariana, however. Another part of me believes though that he would have, by then, felt he could have been on better terms with his brother and so perhaps in the mirror he saw Ariana and his brother?in fact his entire family (father and mother) intact. No muggle boys hurting Ariana causing his father to attack them and be sent to Azkaban. Not having that happen would have probably made Dumbledore much happier. Great insight.

[i][JediVegeta][/i]

[hr]>

12. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    IMPORTANT: TASK CHANGE

Since Hufflepuff (theoretically) has 4 players, all tasks that say "can do as many as people in lowest house (so at the moment, three)" has been changed to 4.

WEEK FIVE POINTS

[hl=darkgreen]SLYTHERIN[/hl]: 1,695
    [hl=darkblue]RAVENCLAW[/hl]: 670
    [hl=darkred]GRYFFINDOR[/hl]: 455
    [hl=black]HUFFLEPUFF[/hl]: -150

[hl=darkblue]Miana Kenobi[/hl]: 405
    [hl=darkgreen]Mar17swgirl[/hl]: 400
    [hl=darkred]Earwen_Lightrider[/hl]: 160
    [hl=darkgreen]yodaminch[/hl]: 60
    [hl=darkred]LilyHobbitJedi[/hl]: 60
    [hl=darkblue]CodeName_Targeter[/hl]: 0
    [hl=darkblue]Master_Jaina1011[/hl]: 0
    [hl=darkblue]wedge41388[/hl]: 0

13. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I'm surprised I'm still at the top, considering I've kind of dropped out of the game. :p

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Everyone else still has some catching up to do.

And remember, updates are due today! (Lie, seriously. I'm hopefully doing points before brunch tomorrow.)

15. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    [hl=darkgreen]SLYTHERIN WEEK 6 UPDATE

LITERARY SPIRIT
    [/hl]

Write a Day in the Life of a Harry Potter character using Twitter. Create your own Twitter account and update it throughout a period of time as if you were the character (I recommend creating an account like HC18GryffindorHarry or something). You must include at least 30 Tweets per character. You should also create them in real time. (So you don?t have to Tweet all day, you can do it spread throughout a week, but make sure it sounds as though it?s Tweets from a whole week (or an hour, or whatever period of time)). May do up to 4. Suggested by Idrelle_Miocovani. 60 points each.

[link=http://twitter.com/#!/ArgusFilch3]Twitter Account: Argus Filch[/link]

[yodaminch]

1. From [b][color=darkblue]RAVENCLAW[/color][/b]
    Task: Create an ORIGINAL signature food or drink for your House. Describe what?s in it, how it?s made, and why it represents your House. 15 points.
    BONUS: Actually made the dish/drink, take a photo, and tell us how it tastes. 30 points.
    Done by: Miana Kenobi
    Why: Of course it would be an alcoholic drink. :p It also sounds pretty interesting ? I'd love to try it, but unfortunately can't get Honey Whiskey nor Root Beer here...

Task: How did Filch get his job at Hogwarts? 5 points.
    Done by: EarwenLightrider
    Why: The idea that Filch would report on his classmates' unruly behaviour is very fitting, but I thought Squibs don't get accepted into Hogwarts...? Anyway, I love the idea that Mrs. Norris is actually an unregistered Animagus. Would explain her name, her intelligence and her ability to contact Filch very quickly whenever there's mischief.

[i][Mar17swgirl][/i]>

16. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    [hl=darkblue]RAVENCLAW WEEK WHATEVER UPDATE

BOOKS[/hl]

Can Muggles (relatives of wizards, for instance) travel by Floo Network, Portkey, or Side-along Apparition? Give reasons why yes or no. Suggested by Mar17swgirl. 10 points.

Muggles can travel by all three as long as the place they are traveling to doesn't have anti-Muggle wards. So, for example, traveling to Hogwarts via Portkey would be much harder than traveling to a random spot on the English countryside via Side-along Apparition. Magic doesn't differentiate between who magic is performed on but just who magic is performed by. Side-along apparition, however, has the potential to be troublesome if the Muggle being teleported is unaware of magic and fights against the witch or wizard. Splinching is just not a pretty sight. But besides that, all three methods of transportation are possible.

[CodeName_Targeter]

Describe a Patronus of any character (except those we already know from the books). May do up to 5. Suggested by Mar17swgirl. 5 points.

Rita Skeeter: Beetle
    Tonks: Chameleon (before it changed to a werewolf)
    Peter Pettigrew: Rat
    Sirius Black: Large Dog
    Remus Lupin: wolf

[wedge41388]

[hl=darkblue]MOVIES[/hl]

Give an example of an exemplary scene from one of the movies and describe what makes it so great. May do up to 5. 10 points.

1. In Sorcerer's Stone/Philosopher's Stone, Harry and the other first years entering Hogwarts. From the boat ride toward the castle to entering the Great Hall for the first time, the entire scene was just magical. I know when I first saw it, this scene took my breath away. It was our first glance at Hogwarts and we were sharing the wonder and joy that Harry and the others felt. Plus, add in John Williams' amazing score, and it was simply breathtaking. It was just so magical and wonderful.

2. In Prisoner of Azkaban, one of my personal favorite scenes is Harry and Sirius's quick scene after exiting the Whomping Willow. You see Sirius help set Ron down, then look up at the night sky and the castle with such a sigh of relief. This entire movie, you've seen Sirius the madman. Now you see Sirius: a man who is looking at a gleam of hope for the first time in 12 years. The talk he and Harry have about Hogwarts and Harry's family is just touching and beautiful.

3. In Half Blood Prince, the moment of Harry comforting Hermione on the stairs after Ron goes off to snog Lavender. It's so simple, so lacking in long dialouge, so moving in showing the depth of friendship that those two have.

4. Also in Half Blood Prince, another simple yet incredibly wonderful scene is a drunk Professor Slughorn telling Harry about the history of his fish Francis. It's a wonderful monologue that Jim Broadbent pulls off fantastically. There is so much emotion and depth in such a tiny one-shot scene.

5. Lastly, the scene that made me sob through every viewing of Deathly Hallows 2 so far, Snape's memories. A very rapid montage, it goes through Snape's life so wonderfully. What really makes the whole thing is just Alan freaking Rickman. For the first time in 8 movies, THEY LET ALAN RICKMAN ACT. And oh my god, he had me in tears. Even though he and Michael Gambon are voice-overing the montage with some explainations, just the shots of Alan Rickman begging for Lily's life, and his grief at her passing were just PERFECT.

[Miana Kenobi]

[hl=darkblue]HOUSE PRIDE[/hl]

Create a Facebook page for your House. Include bio info, quotes from your housemates, and photos (they don?t have to be of the players, they can be movie stills with characters from your House or something). 40 points.

[link=http://www.facebook.com/RavenclawHouse]http://www.facebook.com/RavenclawHouse[/link]

[Miana Kenobi]

[hl=darkblue]RANDOM[/hl]

What was your favorite task from another House last week? Share what it was and why you like it. May do 3 per week (one from each House). (Obviously, can only be done Wee

17. Earwen_Lightrider

Jan 17, 2004
    [hl=darkred]Gryffindor Update For Week 6[/hl]

Things That Were

Why was the Triwizard Tournament not held for so many years? 10 points.

The rampaging cockatrice incident of the 1792 Triwizard Tournament was enough to prevent the tournament from being held for several years, but the second source was a letter each of the injured Headmasters/Headmistresses received which indicated the other two heads of plotting against him/her and actually orchestrating the release of the cockatrice. It wasn't until 1993, when discussions of reinstating the tournament began anew that each Headmaster/Headmistress presented Barty Crouch Sr. and Ludo Bagman with the letter as proof of why the games should not be allowed. The three letters were placed side by side and determined to all have been written by the same hand. Further investigation turned up that it was the handwriting of a former school champion who had not won the tournament, but had been horribly disfigured in competing. He had been the poster boy for the wizard group which protested the games due to their violence back in 1792. Digging deeper into the matter, it was determined that the rampage had been masterminded by the same group who believed that they could end the games if the Heads of the various schools turned against each other. In an effort to end the centuries long tension, the games were reinstated.

- EarwenLightrider

What did Dumbledore do to earn the Order of Merlin, First Class? 10 points.

Since the Order of Merlin was founded by Merlin in the Middle Ages to promote laws that protect and benefit Muggles. One would assume that it is given out as an award for similar reasons. Dumbledore earned his Order of Merlin, First Class for his efforts to protect Muggles against Dark Lord Voldemort and his Death Eaters during the First Wizarding War. Rumor has it that several of the surviving members of the Order of the Phoenix were responsible for Dumbledore receiving the reward.

- EarwenLightrider

Things to Come

What will any of the next generation (Teddy, H/G and R/H?s kids, etc.) do after they graduate from Hogwarts? May do up to 3. 10 points.

Teddy Lupin will become a famour Auror, using his Metamorphmagus abilities to their full potential in catching Dark Wizards and Witches. When he was trained to be an Auror - he passed both "Concealment and Disguise" and "Stealth and Tracking" with flying colors.

Victoire Weasley will spend a summer with her Uncle Charlie tending dragons. This will serve as a rough patch of time in her relationship with Teddy as long distances tend to put a strain on relationships. Her Uncle's enthusiasm for dragons will be so catching that Victoire will take up a career in the study and care of dragons.

Scorpius Malfoy, to his Grandfather's horror, will join the Magic of Ministry in the office of the Misuse of Muggle Artefacts. He will be so successful in his persuits that he will eventually become head of his office. He was also one of Hermione's most vocal supporters in eradicating old laws baised in favour of pure-bloods.

- Earwen_Lightrider

Absolutely Random

Favorite Tasks from Week 5

From Ravenclaw:

Miana's signiture drink: "Late Night Inspiration"

[Miana Kenobi]

Why? Because it takes longer to consume than most tasks the house of procrastinators will complete. [:D] That, and I think you would have to be pretty brave to drink it.

From Slytherin:

Mar's Dumbledore Army logo.

[Mar17swgirl]

Why? It's simple and to the point. Pretty much sums up the purpose of the group.

~ Earwen_Lightrider

P.S. I miss my house!

18. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Hey, Ravenclaw, the coat of arms on your Facebook page is all wrong. :p

19. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Ah, the best-laid plans. They always fall to Internet issues.

WEEK SIX POINTS

[hl=darkgreen]SLYTHERIN[/hl]: 1,775
    [hl=darkblue]RAVENCLAW[/hl]: 815
    [hl=darkred]GRYFFINDOR[/hl]: 525
    [hl=black]HUFFLEPUFF[/hl]: -180

[hl=darkblue]Miana Kenobi[/hl]: 515
    [hl=darkgreen]Mar17swgirl[/hl]: 420
    [hl=darkred]Earwen_Lightrider[/hl]: 230
    [hl=darkred]LilyHobbitJedi[/hl]: 120
    [hl=darkgreen]yodaminch[/hl]: 120
    [hl=darkblue]wedge41388[/hl]: 30
    [hl=darkblue]CodeName_Targeter[/hl]: 10
    [hl=darkblue]Master_Jaina1011[/hl]: 10

20. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I don't care, this one's prettier.

21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Sorry about some points confusion. I edited the points; everyone got full credit for everything.

22. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    So I just realized that the night of the final update I'm going to be at Disneyland's Halloween. So don't expect the update to be on time. :(

23. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Yubsie will also be out of town that weekend.

Can we start petitioning for an extension?

24. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I vote for an extension, too. My team seems to have disappeared. :p

25. Earwen_Lightrider

Jan 17, 2004