main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Census The JC Hogwarts House Cup - Version 18 - Winner: Ravenclaw

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by NYCitygurl, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I'M SOOOOOORRY!

(An extension ain't gonna help me come back to my House since I'll be even closer to the opening of my first show and therefore I'll be going even crazier. [face_laugh] 8-} )

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I already built in an extention! :p

But yeah, I'm fine with going an extra week. If it runs into my midterms, points might take a while longer, but you guys were okay with that last year.

3. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Force Ghost star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Not your fault, Idri darling! [:D]

I'm kind of busy myself, what with buying a flat and stuff...

4. Katana_Sundancer

Katana_Sundancer Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2009
    I would like to, most sincerely and abjectly, apologise for my lack of activity. DRL has been something of a nuisance lately, and I've been left with an utter lack of motivation and inspiration, which is why I've completed exactly ZERO tasks. I don't see myself being able to contribute this time, so, with regrets, I'd like to withdraw.

I'm really very sorry, but I feel very useless here.

5. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    :( [:D] I hope that by the time the next year rolls around, you'll have a bit more time!! [:D]

6. Katana_Sundancer

Katana_Sundancer Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2009
    Thanks, me too. [:D] Hope to see you all next time!

7. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I'd like to insert my grumble/whining that I have now hit my combined 10 Hours mark designing this Daily Prophet cover and it is still only maybe 70% done. [face_frustrated]

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    10 hours?! Woah.

9. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I'm alive. But just barely. I would welcome an extension with lab practicals and midterms coming soon.

10. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    [hl=darkblue]RAVENCLAW DID THINGS!

BOOKS
    [/hl]

Why did JKR give certain characters certain names? Analyze the name of any character. May do up to 3. 5 points.

1. Remus Lupin has perhaps the most obvious of any of the character names in the books. Remus is obviously a reference to the founders of Roma, Romulus and Remus, who were raised by wolves. Lupin is similar to 'lupo' which means wolf in Italian and is several other languages. All of these put together are obvious hints towards his werewolf condition.

2. Luna Lovegood is a name that shows JKR's love of alliteration. Also, Luna is, as her classmates notices, similar to the word 'looney'. So while her first name alludes to how she can seem a bit crazy to those who don't really know her, her last name alludes to how she fiercely loves her friends and family.

3. Percy Weasley has probably the most pompous sounding name of all the Weasley siblings and that goes along with how he was frequently portrayed in the books. His middle name, Ignatius, could be a reference to St. Ignatius of Loyola who was known for his unwavering faith in the Catholic Church, much like Percy had unwavering faith in the Ministry of Magic until it was taken over by Death Eaters.

[CodeName_Targeter]

[hl=darkblue]MOVIES[/hl]

Create a Harry Potter trailer using clips and/or screenshots from any of the films. Can be specific to one film, or to all of them. Suggested by Idrelle_Miocovani. 120 points.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITc2v1vm7YU]Order of the Phoenix trailer[/link]

[Miana Kenobi]

[hl=darkblue]THINGS TO COME[/hl]

With Professor McGonagall retired by the epilogue, who is now Headmaster/mistress of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry? Suggested by yodaminch. 5 points.

Professor Flitwick took over after Professor McGonagall for six or seven years because it was the perfect solution to his dilemma: he wished to remain involved with the school but wanted a break from charms gone wrong in the younger year classes.

[CodeName_Targeter]

[hl=darkblue]HUMR[/hl]

What fictional awards would you nominate characters for? (For example, Harry could win most PMSing for his appearance in OotP, or Sirius could win Best Pet, etc.) The goal is to make them funny. May do up to 10. 5 points.

1. Wizard Most Likely to Marry More Than Five Times- Cho Chang
    2. Most Years Spent Without Eyebrows-Seamus Finnigan
    3. Most Animal Magnetism- Lord Voldemort
    4. Longest Tangents Pertaining to Nothing- Hermione Granger
    5. Best Foxtrot, Waltz and Chicken Dance- George Weasley
    6. Hog's Head 2001 Pygmy Puff Racing Champion- Ron Weasley
    7. Most Anti-Establishment Teen- Albus Severus Potter (can you blame him?)
    8. Weirdest Tattoo of Plant Life- Neville Longbottom
    9. Highest Percentage of Scar Tissue- Charlie Weasley
    10. Owner of the Most WWW Exploding Shot Glasses- Draco Malfoy (who knew)

[FelsGoddess]

[hl=darkblue]ARTISTIC SPIRIT[/hl]

Create an HP-themed tattoo. May do up to 6. 45 points.

[image=http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b248/legomania4/Tattoo1.jpg]
    [image=http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b248/legomania4/tattoo2.jpg]
    [image=http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b248/legomania4/tattoo3.jpg]
    [image=http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b248/legomania4/tattoo4.jpg]
    [image=http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b248/legomania4/tattoo5.jpg]
    [image=http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b248/legomania4/tattoo6.jpg]

[Miana Kenobi]

[hl=darkblue]DRAMATIC SPIRIT[/hl]

Create an advertisement for an up-coming wizard film or TV show that would appear in the Daily Prophet. Suggested by Idrelle_Miocovani. 40 points.
    BONUS: Film the ad. 85 points.

[image=http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b248/legomania4/HGW.jpg]

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyTIQQErlIs]Hogwarts Gone Wild[/link]

[Miana Kenobi

[hl=darkblue]MUSICAL SPIRIT[/hl][/col

11. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    [hl=darkgreen]SLYTHERIN WEEK 7 UPDATE

THINGS THAT WERE
    [/hl]

Describe a wand (length, type of wood, magical core) for any character (except those we already know from the books). May do up to 10. Suggested by Mar17swgirl. 5 points.

1. Sirius Black - 13", ebony, unicorn hair
    2. Remus Lupin - 10¾", chestnut, phoenix feather
    3. Luna Lovegood - 11", cypress, unicorn hair
    4. Ginny Weasley - 10½", hazelnut, dragon heartstring
    5. Severus Snape - 12¼", poplar, unicorn hair
    6. Molly Weasley - 9", lime, dragon heartstring
    7. Albus Dumbledore (his original wand) - 14", mahogany, phoenix feather
    8. Alastor Moody - 12", beech, dragon heartstring
    9. Nymphadora Tonks - 10¼", birch, phoenix feather
    10. Cho Chang - 11", fig, unicorn hair

[Mar17swgirl]

[b][hl=darkgreen][color=silver]HOUSE PRIDE[/color][/hl][/b]

[b]Why is your House symbol what it is? How does it represent your House? 10 points.[/b]

The symbol of House Slytherin is a serpent. Snakes have often been associated with cunning and subtlety. They can move very quickly and very silently, which makes them a very dangerous threat to their prey. They're also cold-blooded - a Slytherin never rushes thoughtlessly into things (that's a Gryffindor trait), but always keeps a cool head and thinks before acting, making sure he or she has the biggest advantage.

[i][Mar17swgirl][/i]

[b]Create an ORIGINAL signature food or drink for your House. Describe what?s in it, how it?s made, and why it represents your House. 15 points.
    BONUS: Actually made the dish/drink, take a photo, and tell us how it tastes. 30 points.[/b]

SWEET SLITHERING SNAKES

4 cl absinthe
    4 cl vodka
    2 cl lime juice
    2 cl sugar syrup
    Sprite
    ice
    lime peel spirals

Place the lime peel spirals and ice into a long-drink glass. Mix together absinthe, vodka, lime juice and sugar syrup, and pour into the glass. Top up with Sprite.

[image=http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/Tauriel/JC_Hogwarts_Cup/sweet_slithering_snakes.jpg]

The two main ingredients of this drink (absinthe and vodka) represent the colours of our House (green and silver). Absinthe was often vilified in the past, portrayed as a dangerous drug and blamed for alleged harmful effects - much like the House of Slytherin being unfairly scorned and portrayed as "the evil House" (yes, we've had our share of Dark wizards, but which Hogwarts house hasn't?).

This drink is quite strong, so drink responsibly (if you prefer a weaker option, halve the amount of both alcohols). Absinthe's aniseed taste combines well with the sourness of lime juice, and the overall flavour is softened and sweetened by the sugar syrup. Sprite adds the final fizzy touch.

[i][Mar17swgirl][/i]

[b]Create a Facebook page for your House. Include bio info, quotes from your housemates, and photos (they don?t have to be of the players, they can be movie stills with characters from your House or something). 40 points.[/b]

[link=http://www.facebook.com/pages/JC-Slytherin-House-Year-18/121822847924255]Slytherin House[/link]

[i][yodaminch][/i]

[hr]

[b][hl=darkgreen][color=silver]LITERARY SPIRIT[/color][/hl][/b]

[b]50 Sentence Challenge: Take the 50 Harry Potter-themed words in the 50 Sentences Challenge (the first table under January) and write an HP fanfic sentence about each. You don?t have to include the word in the sentence, but the sentence should set the tone or theme. You can bend the rules of grammar, but there can only be one sentence in each. (Note: The 50 sentences together form one task; this can?t be split.) For examples on the JC, see the thread. (If you?ve already participated, you have to do new sentences.) Words contributed by Mira_Jade. 80 points.

The Sound of Magic[/b]

01. Melody
    There was nothing left existing in the world except for the beautiful, calming melody, lulling them into a peaceful and relaxed state ? until Ginny snapped the lid of the music box shut and they all woke up.

02. Serenade
    Molly would never forget the first time Arthur turned up >

12. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    We can't get absinthe here, but that sounds delicious.

13. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    It really is. :) Although it probably wouldn't be as strong if I had a bigger glass so I could top it up with more Sprite... :p

14. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Dammit, I want one :p But absinthe is too expensive. Come to think of it, so is vodka :p

15. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    [hl=darkred]Gryffindor Update For Week 7[/hl]

LITERARY SPIRIT

Write a crossover between HP and any other fandom (please check the [link= http://boards.theforce.net/non_star_wars_fan_fiction/b10808 ]Non Star wars Fan fiction (NSWF) [link= http://boards.theforce.net/non_star_wars_f...28662927/p1/?68 ]disallowed works list[/link] for any possible issues). 100 points.

AN: This takes place during 5th year at Hogwarts and after 3rd series for Merlin. And Arthur knows about Merlin?s magic for the sake of this fic.

?That was brilliant,? George Weasley remarked, grinning madly at his twin.

?It was bloody fantastic!? Fred exclaimed. ?Did you see Filch?s face when he saw Mrs. Norris??

?He should be thanking us,? George scoffed. ?Pink is definitely an improvement.?

?WEASLEYS!? Filch roared, spotting them down the corridor. ?Stay where you are!?

?Detention?? Fred asked his brother.

?Of course,? George muttered under his breath as Filch reached where they were standing. The caretaker was literally shaking with fury as he glowered at the two young Gryffindors.

?How dare you!? Filch yelled angrily, but growing even more furious at witnessing the twins apparent lack of remorse. In fact they were doing all they could do to keep from bursting out in uproarious laughter. It didn?t help that Mrs. Norris came walking up being Filch at that moment, causing the two boys to burst out laughing.

?My office, NOW!? Filch yelled, leading the way.

?I don?t really fancy a talking to,? George mused.

?Me neither,? Fred agreed.

Together they turned around and started running in the opposite direction. It was at least twenty seconds until they heard Filch?s shout of outrage, and by then they had reached the Room of Requirement.

A place to hide, they thought as they quickly paced back and forth. The secret door materialized, and they opened it quickly and slammed it behind them.

?What happened to our broom cupboard?? Fred asked in surprise and confusion. ?I don?t remember this room.? The room they had found themselves in was massive and full of junk and lost treasures from floor to ceiling. It would take years to get through it all or to find something useful.

?I was thinking that I wanted to hide these,? George said pulling a handful of Nosebleed Nougat, Fever Fudge, and Fainting Fancies out of his pocket. ?I didn?t want Filch to get the merchandise.?

?Good thinking George,? Fred said to his brother. ?Let?s explore.?

The two Weasleys walked through the clutter, picking up random odds and ends as they made their way through the maze of stuff.

Fred suddenly stopped and picked up a golden chain from the floor that had caught his eye. A tiny golden hourglass hung on the chain. What was remarkable was that it was completely unbroken. Though he had never held one before, Fred was sure that it was a Time Turner.

?Is that what I think it is?? George asked.

?Let?s find out,? Fred said putting the golden chain over both their necks and then turned the little hourglass over several times. The result was immediate. They felt almost as if they were in a wind tunnel, and the force of it took their breath away. But almost as soon as it had started, it stopped.

Fred and George looked around noticing right away that they were no longer in the Room of Requirement. Instead they were in a large hall made with white stone that looked nothing like Hogwarts? Great Hall. In fact it was a throne room, and the royal court was in session.

A steely eyed King with a gold crown on his head glared at them, obviously furious at their sudden appearance. Knights in full armor and chainmail swept back their red cloaks and drew gleaming swords from their scabbards.

?Seize them!? the King shouted angrily point at the two young wizards.

?Definitely a Time Turner then,? Fred commented as he pulled the chain off their necks and stowed the little hourglass in a pocket of his robe.

?Wicked!? George exclaimed in obvious excitement to his brother before turning back to look at the knights who were drawing close with swords pointed r

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002

WEEK SEVEN POINTS

[hl=darkgreen]SLYTHERIN[/hl]: 2,015
    [hl=darkblue]RAVENCLAW[/hl]: 1,635
    [hl=darkred]GRYFFINDOR[/hl]: 645
    [hl=black]HUFFLEPUFF[/hl]: -210

[hl=darkblue]Miana Kenobi[/hl]: 1,210
    [hl=darkgreen]Idrelle_Miocovani[/hl]: 930
    [hl=darkgreen]Mar17swgirl[/hl]: 600
    [hl=darkred]Earwen_Lightrider[/hl]: 250
    [hl=darkred]QueenArdnassak[/hl]: 180
    [hl=darkgreen]yodaminch[/hl]: 180
    [hl=darkred]LilyHobbitJedi[/hl]: 160
    [hl=darkblue]FelsGoddess[/hl]: 155
    [hl=darkblue]s65horsey[/hl]: 130
    [hl=darkgreen]Qui-Gon_Reborn[/hl]: 125
    [hl=darkgreen]Cobranaconda[/hl]: 100
    [hl=darkgreen]JediVegeta[/hl]: 80
    [hl=darkblue]CodeName_Targeter[/hl]: 55
    [hl=darkred]darthhelinith[/hl]: 40
    [hl=darkblue]Daughter_of_YubYub[/hl]: 35
    [hl=darkblue]wedge41388[/hl]: 30
    [hl=darkblue]Master_Jaina1011[/hl]: 20
    [hl=darkred]JEDIGUNSHIP[/hl]: 15
    [hl=darkred]_princess-leia_[/hl]: 0
    [hl=darkred]jchef[/hl]: 0
    [hl=darkgreen]JEDI_TEEGIRLOO[/hl]: 0
    [hl=darkblue]LouQuinn[/hl]: 0
    [hl=black]Merlin_Ambrosius69[/hl]: 0
    [hl=black]NicolasZN[/hl]: 0
    [hl=black]TwinJediGirl[/hl]: 0

As a reminder, the game has been extended a week, so you have two more weeks until the end.

And another reminder: If you have fewer than 65 points at the end, no matter what house you're in, you get a 24-hour gameban.

17. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    AHA! Miana has finally ousted me from my top spot. :D =D=

Mar, you better catch up. :p

18. Earwen_Lightrider

Jan 17, 2004
    [hl=darkred]Gryffindor Update For Week 8[/hl]

House Pride

Create an ORIGINAL signature food or drink for your House. Describe what?s in it, how it?s made, and why it represents your House. 15 points.
    BONUS: Actually made the dish/drink, take a photo, and tell us how it tastes. 30 points.

Breakfast of Courage

Ingredients:
    2 Eggs
    1 dash Cayenne Pepper
    1 dash Onion Powder
    1 dash Paprika
    1 slice Bread
    2 slices of Bacon
    Jam or Jelly of Choice (I used homemade Apple Butter).
    2 Chocolate Covered Almonds

Supplies:
    3 bowls
    Egg Separater
    Food Dye: Red, Blue, And Yellow
    Frying Pan
    Mixing Fork
    Spatula
    PAM

Separate eggs. 1 egg white to each bowl and both yolks in the third bowl.

To egg white bowl number 1 add 3 drops of yellow food dye. Add 1 dash onion powder and 1 dash paprika. Mix thoroughly. Poor into PAM sprayed pan. Try to get the shape of the cooking egg white as close to circular as you can. Cook on both sides (as you would a fried egg) on medium heat. Place cooked egg on a plate or cutting board. Cut slits into what will become the lion's mane. Set aside.

To remaining bowl of egg whites add 1 drop blue food dye and 3 drops red food dye to get a crimson-reddish color. Add 1 dash cayenne pepper. Mix and repeat the process done with the other egg white.

With both mane pieces prepped, place them one on top of the other on serving plate and weave the manes together to alternate colors.

Pour yolk into pan in as close to a lion's head as you can muster (you can always trim the head after you've cooked it). When the yolk is cooked, place it on a cutting board and cut out the shape of your lion's head. Place the lion's head in the center of the mane. Save a scrap piece of yolk to be used as the bushy part of the tail.

Toast the slice of bread. Cut the crust off the bread and create an oval body shape. Spread your jam/jelly on the piece of toast.

Cut your bacon strips in half to make the four legs. Also cut off two slivers to be used as part of the tail and for the mouth.

Arrange your lion on the plate. Add two chocolate covered almonds for eyes. Serve.

"It's best to eat the legs first so that it doesn't run away!" - Ron to Harry
    "The humane way to eat this dish is ears first so that the poor dear doesn't have to hear your chewing." - Hermione to the two of them.
    "I don't like it staring at me. I always eat the eyes first." - Ginny

It represents Gryffindor because it is a courageous lion and based on our house mascot.

How it tasted:
    The alternating spices in the mane made for a unique taste and overall it was a very delicious breakfast. The sweetness of the eyes was a yummy edition too. This dish just encourages you to play with your food...

[image=http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii90/NataLekku/HouseCup/DSC09158.jpg]

- Earwen_Lightrider

Absolutely Random

What was your favorite task from another House last week? Share what it was and why you like it. 10 points each.

Favorite Tasks from Week 7

From Slytherin

Slytherin's 50 Sentence Challenge - The Sound of Music by Mar17swgirl

This greatly amused me. Sirius wearing his gown to infuriate his mother. Picturing a musical spell going wrong because someone is tone-deaf. Fun!

From Ravenclaw:

Miana's Hogwarts Gone Wild Video Advertisement

This one made me explain why I suddenly burst out laughing. The concept is funny. Involving the professors makes it even more so!

- Earwen_Lightrider

19. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Awesome-looking dish, Earwen! =P~

And the name of my 50 sentences fic was "Sound of Magic", by the way... :p

20. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    [hl=darkgreen]SLYTHERIN WEEK 8 UPDATE

LITERARY SPIRIT
    [/hl]

Write a story in which Peeves is the Headmaster of Hogwarts for a day. 100 points.

Poker with Peeves

"Read them and weep Bumbly Dumbly" Peeves cried out with barely contained glee.

The poltergeist laid his cards out on the poker table to the audible gasp of several of the other players.

"Impossible..." Severus Snape stated, his eyes narrowing so low that they looked like they would fall out of their sockets.

"He must have cheated!" Sir Nicolas declared.

"The all seeing eye does not lie!" Sybil Trelawny shouted, "his cards are true!"

"Spare us the theatrics Sybil" Minerva McGongall said. She adjusted her pink poker visor and examined the hand Peeves had just thrown down. She withdrew her wand and began casting several enchantments to ensure that her deck of cards was indeed untampered with.

Upon finishing the spell, she let out a frustrated sigh. "It's real" she announced.

All eyes turned to the only occupant at the table who hadn't yet spoken.

Albus Dumbledore, the headmaster of Hogwarts sat at the far end of the poker table, looking at the group with a small smile. His blue eyes twinkled with amusement.

"Well then", he announced, "I believe the wager was Headmaster for a day?"

"You. Can. Not. Be. Serious." Snape said, enunciating every word.

"I gave my word Severus. I'm certain the castle won't burn to the ground if Peeves is in charge for just one day"

"I wouldn't bet on that" Nearly headless Nick replied.

Dumbledore let out a chuckle and rose from his chair.

"As of midnight this evening, The temporary headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry is Peeves the Poltergeist."

McGonagall had her head in her hands. Snape was staring at the poltergeist with a glare that the Potions professor hoped could kill the undead man once and for all.

"Hear ye! Hear ye!" Peeves cried from the podium in the Great Hall.

The Great Hall fell silent as the students of Hogwarts all turned their eyes to the podium. Immediately the students broke into hushed whispers:

"What is Peeves doing?!" Hermione shouted.

"Where is Professor Dumbledore" Harry added.

"Look at Snape. He looks like he's going to cast the unforgivable curses!" Ron remarked.

"Has anyone seen Fred and George?" Ginny asked.

"You guys! Filch has gone on a rampage. He's snapped his broom in half and he's assaulting any student close to him" Neville said, indicating he knew this from first hand experience.

Harry spotted Nearly headless Nick floating by and waved the ghost over.

"Nick what's going on?" he asked.

"Dumbledore is bad at poker" Nick replied.

Before he could say anything else, Peeves began to speak.

"Gooooood Morning Hogwarts!" Peeves announced from the dias.

All conversation ceased as all eyes turned to the podium once more.

"I am proud to announce that I will be serving as Headmaster for today!" Peeves rubbed his hands together with glee.

"And in order to make the most of today- And because several professors have taken their vacation days early- your classes will be a bit different today. My assistants, Professors Weasley and Jordan are handing out your new schedules.

As one, the heads of every student in Gryffindor swung around to see Fred, George and Lee, each clad in brightly colored robes, walking to each table to distribute the new schedules. The three boys were grinning from ear to ear, delighted at their newfound promotions.

"Oh no..." Hermione said, hitting her head with her open palm.

Fred Weasley approached her, still grinning

"What's the matter Hermione? Aren't you excited for more classes?"

He withdrew a piece of parchment and handed it to her. He then handed Ron and Harry a schedule as well before moving on to the rest of Gryffindor.

"YES! NAP TIME!" Ron shouted.

Harry was confused for a moment before looking at the schedule. Indeed, Peeves had scheduled a class called nap time taught by...

"SNAPE!" Harry exclaimed.

21. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    That was not 80s music. :( That was Team America: World Police.

[hl=darkblue]RAVENCLAW'S UPDATE OF JUST FEL.

BOOKS
    [/hl]

What was the coolest wizarding duel and why? 10 points.

The coolest duel was between Voldemort and Dumbledore in the Atrium of the Ministry of Magic. Why? Because Fawkes intervened and took a killing curse for Dumbledore. Now that is some serious tag teaming. We also saw Dumbledore and Voldemort?s skills on a grander scale.

[FelsGoddess]

[hl=darkblue]MOVIES[/hl]

Given the changes in direction, do you think the HP movies as a whole are cohesive, or do their different styles seem choppy when put together? 15 points.

Put together, the Harry Potter movies are not cohesive. They start out at a nice pace with sweeping scenes and a stunning score and turn into a super fast-paced sprint. The later movies feel like you?re watching them on fast-forward. While POA and GOF at as a somewhat decent transition, SS and DH are vastly different in appearance, tone and pace. The first few movies feel like you actually sat down for a couple hours. By DH, viewers find themselves thinking they just sat down five minutes ago. The pace increases far too much.

[FelsGoddess]

[hl=darkblue]THINGS THAT WERE[/hl]

What did Dumbledore do to earn the Order of Merlin, First Class? 10 points.

Dumbledore earned the Order of Merlin, First Class when he defeated Grindelwald. The combination of this defeat and his other accomplishments resulted in the fastest waiting period between the event and receiving the award. Witnesses of the duel said that it was so impressive that it put other duels to shame.

[FelsGoddess]

During their duel, who do you think killed Arianna Dumbledore? Why? Suggested by yodaminch. 10 points.

I think Grindelwald killed Arianna. Aberforth was too aware of his sister to make such a mistake. In addition, Grindelwald ran. That screams guilt. Albus had enough guilt to feel responsible, but not enough to show that he actually did the deed. Over time, it seems like Albus would finally admit it if he?d actually killed her. Because of his friendship with Grindelwald, he did not pursue him.

[FelsGoddess]

How did Filch get his job at Hogwarts? 5 points.

Argus Filch?s brother, Melvin, recommended Argus apply for the job to get him out of his house. Argus lived with Melvin for five years. Argus drove him nuts. Argus took the job because even though he couldn?t perform magic, he felt more comfortable around wizards than Muggles. He would never tell those rotten children that, of course.

[FelsGoddess]

[hl=darkblue]THINGS TO COME[/hl]

What do you think is next for the HP world? A stage production? A sequel/prequel book? A Voldemort spinoff TV show? 15 points.

Now that there an amusement park and Pottermore, JKR will continue debating whether she wants to write another book. During that timeframe, she will write various encyclopedias about her universe. Eventually we?ll see a novella about Sirius, James, Remus and Peter. That will lead to a novella about Albus Severus. This may become an actual novel if she becomes engrossed in telling his story. JKR will continue to reveal tiny details about her characters as the years progress.

[FelsGoddess]

What happens to Ollivander after he?s rescued in Deathly Hallows? 5 points.

Ollivander reopened his wand shop. After all, wands were his life. He eventually trained his successor in the art of wandmaking, but kept working in the shop. He died in his shop, crafting a wand from ash wood and unicorn tail.

[FelsGoddess]

[hl=darkblue]HOUSE PRIDE[/hl]

Write the biography of a famous member of your House (someone you make up). 35 points.

Terry Ranger joined the Ravenclaw house in 1984. He lived in the United States until he turned eight. His family moved to London after his mother took a job with the Minis

22. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Well, I've never seen that, but it was certainly 80s style music. :p

Actually, you can legally get (a version of) Absinthe in the US [link=http://www.greendevil.com/absinthe_us.html]according to this[/link], but it doesn't contain wormwood (which was the reason it was banned).

23. Earwen_Lightrider

Jan 17, 2004
    Thank you!

I noted that it was sound of magic and thought I typed that. Guess my brain went on autopilot. Sorry.

By the way, the Merlin crossover fic was written by the talented LilyHobbitJedi, not me. :)

24. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000

Watch Team America. Best movie making fun of America ever.

And yeah, but the Absinthe-thing we get over here just doesn't taste the same. :(

25. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Whoops! Sorry, LHJ. [face_blush] I'll correct it in our final update.