main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Comics The JC Lit Comic Reviews Special: LEGACY: BROKEN

Discussion in 'Literature' started by 000, Jan 22, 2007.

1. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    69.14/16 = 4.32125 = ~ 4 1/3

[image=http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/2169/score18jm.png]

2. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    It was good but it never really went beyond good. I thought the last issue was a little dissapointing as it was a bit predictable.

I'll give it a 3.5.

3. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    Predictable can be great, too. That generally means that the authors have done well establishing the Characters, their motives, their levels of power, and the overall story arc. Closing an Arc with a bunch of crazed out surprises can be far worse and leave the story riddled with really lame plot holes.

Carnage

4. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I completely disagree. I want to be surprised.

Also, the characters are also a problem. There are too many and I don't have any sense of thme and I get confused as to who is who sometimes. That seldom happens to me and I have at least fifteen monthly comics I follow.

5. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    I find this to be an odd arguement, considering that they've only explored a few characters so far in this arc, and only a few have been majorly explored. Especially with Jan and John making each character so unique. I really can't imagine anyone having a problem.

Trip, what's the deal with those stars?

6. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    An excellent start, although I found it worked much better as an arc than individual issues. Issues like 2, which was mostly exposition, or the Vendaxa interlude, which included three separate fights, tended to bog down the storyline when they were the only part of it we got in a month-plus. As one unit, however, it flows together into a very nice introduction to the galaxy of Legacy. I like how much of the universe it covers: 8 planets, including four of the homeworlds of the various factions. Coruscant's inclusion is particularly well done at giving us a sense of familiarity while at the same time establishing this strange new world we've entered. The characters are by and large compelling, with even low-screentime characters like Kol making a strong impact. Syn is a great example of a character who could so easily be pigeonholed into one of a million different stereotypes and yet comes out as a fully-fleshed person. The art is the expectedly high standard of quality, and Brad Anderson's coloring enlivens it all the more.

And for a series that was introduced with the spiritual sister of Darth Maul, a princess in trouble, a gun-toting rogue, and an Empire, it's certainly stayed original. Indeed, where most post-ROTJ tends to vacillate between Imperial threat #327 and you-got-your-alien-invasion-movie-in-my-Star-Wars, it's nice to see something original that still fits into the Star Wars universe. And speaking of out of place alien invasion plotlines, Legacy manages to make the Vong feel like a part of the Star Wars universe in a couple issues in a way that their whole series just doesn't do for me.

It's not perfect. I'm not big on this new breed of Sith, though several of them are individually interesting characters. Talon has become more menacing than at first, but there's only so much gravitas a half-nude chainmail-bra wearing character can have.

All in all, I give it 4.25/5. Yeah, fractional scores are harder for Trip, but 4 seemed too low and 4.5 leaves less room at the top.

7. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Sephy: They give a better visual. Plus, I was bored. :p

I've been meaning to write a lengthy review, but I haven't really been feeling it. I'll just say, then, that it was a solid story. Not perfect by any means-- dialog and cartoon character Sith detract a bit-- but far better than I expected.

In fact, I'd rate the concept and backstory of this new era as being damn near perfect, so don't let my rating of "Broken" be seen as an accurate reflection of my feelings for the era, which I think is excellently realized so far.

I'll give "Broken" a solid 3.25.

As an addendum, I recall being skeptical if not outright pessimistic about this series back in February when it was announced. I'm pleased to say that my misgivings were proven wrong.

8. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    80.14/19 = 4.2178947368421052631578947368421 (damn you, Hydronium!) = ~4 1/4

[image=http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/2169/score18jm.png]

9. Mayor_Adam_West

Mayor_Adam_West Jedi Master star 2

Aug 22, 2006
    I really like the all the new Sith(except Talon). The main problem is I'm not really sure how I feel about Cade yet. This is a big difference from KOTOR which has fantastic main characters. I'm also worried that Syn and Blue will get left behind if/when Cade becomes a jedi. Still it was very entertaining and I'm looking forward to the future arcs.

I give the arc 4 out of 5.

10. Jedi_Earnhardt

Jedi_Earnhardt Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 11, 2006
    5/5

This was just great, first arc is right out of the park. I really enjoyed Cade's character the most. I think we all knew he was going to heal Sia, but the surprise was the sithy eyes afterwards, if that ability heals then maybe there is no darkside, just kiddin'. I wish there was more of Kol but I'm sure we'll see him in flashbacks and issues that take place before #1. All the characters are cool. Talon is my fav sith, she reminds me of the terminator 3 chick, all business. I can't wait to find out who Krayt is and then go back and see how the clues match up. The Imperial knights were cool at first, but i'm more for the traditional Jedi. Luke showing up was highlight of the Broken arc, I really enjoyed his exchange with Cade. No complaints really.

I remember alot of negetive comments before we had #1 in our hands. But after a second and third printing of some of these issues we see that those people were wrong and this was a great idea. Just goes to show that the nay-sayers are loud, but they are few.

11. magneto

magneto Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    I'll give it a 3/5.

I thought it was very good but I think it moved a little slow. Not to mention the massive delays didn't help. I like the characters but I could have done without ANOTHER Jedi purge Grr!!!

12. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    92.14/22 = 4.1881818181818181818181818181818 = ~4 1/4

[image=http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/2169/score18jm.png][/quote]

13. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Bumping, since the TPB came out.

14. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    4/5

I've never really read any Star Wars comics before Legacy - it's just never really interested me.

That said, this was a great introduction, not only for me to the comics, but for the story in general. Fast paced, extremely interesting characters, wonderful art Broken has it all.

I can't wait to see where they take it from here [face_peace]

15. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    I'm gonna give it a 4. The characters are all very intriguing, espicially Cade. I like that he isn't a "bad guy, but he's got a heart of gold!" but rather a very conflicted and confused man. I like the Fel Empire idea very much as well, it brings a sense of nobility to the Empire, and I even enjoy the new Sith Order. The only reason I give this a four is that it seems to be more set up for future stories than a story of its own right. But, it is awesome set up, so all is forgiven.

16. DancinBrud

DancinBrud Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2006

Just got done reading the TPB. There was a lot of set-up in the first half of the book, but once the pieces are in place, the payoff was great! On the other hand, though, I would have liked to have spent a little bit of time (even half an issue) getting to know the characters before the massacre on Ossus. They all felt a bit unrelatable during the most traumatic moments of their lives because we had no idea who they are. But I also understand that it's very Star Warsy to jump right into the action.

Reading the reviews here, some people didn't like the size of the cast, but for me that was a big plus. I love ensemble stories and some of my favorite Star Wars comic stories feature many characters, such as Acts of War and the Stark Hyperspace War. Having so many interesting characters in Legacy gives us a lot of great story potential in the future.

Some hightlights of the story for me were Krayt's confrontation with the Sith Holocrons (I loved that he tried to justify his "let's have a boatload of Sith!" ways), Cade's conversation with ghost Luke (of course!), the exciting climax, which set up many new possible storylines, and the mystery behind Krayt's identity.

One final small disappointment -- I love the Adam Hughes covers, but only three of them were reprinted in the collection! What a shame. I feel like all the comics in a collection should have their covers included, even if it's just in a cover gallery after the story.

All in all, very exciting and entertaining. I think things are only going to get better from this point forward.

17. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I'm still impressed with Darth Krayt. I think he's the greatest looking Sith since Darth Vader.

I love the opening.

I like the fact that Legacy seems to have a bit of a DE atmosphere, but not in such broad strokes; here, we really get to go inside the heads of the characters.

The pay-off I enjoyed only half-half, for it didn't really feel like a pay-off, it felt more like one of the hundred Obi/Ani/Asajj/Durge chlashes.

4 outta 5

18. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    DH used to do that, but for some reason they stopped. I think it's a shame, too.

19. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I've scattered my thoughts around the board, so I won't repost them here.

20. Krados

Krados Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2004

As far as I am concerned, Star Wars only has the original trilogy, Zahn's Heir series and Legacy. A definite 5.

21. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Overall, its the best thing going in the EU right now. 4.125 out of 5
    Cade's intro to the story was awesome, what he became was a slight letdown.
    Krayt's secret is what makes up for the crack-head called Skywalker.

And can somebody PUH-leeeeeeeze get Wolf Sazen
    a mechno hand!:oops:

22. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    good all around. better than i thought it was going to be when it started. still a bit unsure of the new sith. nihl would be cool if nihilus didn't already exist.

personally i think the series should've started when the vonging of worlds got mucked up. see the jedi b4 they all get killed. i can understand why they would want cade to be a bounty hunter from the start tho.

23. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    4 out of 5

It was all around a great story arc. Lots of great characters, although as people have mentioned a few too many to really get to know them all in this arc. Where this arc found its weakness was in some of the slow introductions and set up early on. I felt some of it was kind of jumpy and slow. However, this is the perspective of someone who has been spoiled for a good part of it, so I was already somewhat familiar wiith the characters, so I can see this may have been more interesting to someone reading it the day of release without spoilers.

I was disappointed by the lack of screentime for Roan Fel especially. He only showed up a few times, and every time that happened he pretty much showed up, said something cool in one or two panels, then walked away dramatically. I would have loved to have seen more of this guy. Though I do love that scene when he takes control of Bastion and all the stormtroopers kneel before him :D

However, I felt once the story got to Vendaxa it really started to pick up, and gave a great pay off. Finally most of the characters got to converge. Cade and Wolf got to reconfront Nihl. The Imperial Knights showed up with flying colors, looking almost like superheros, a feel the normal Jedi have been kind of lacking. And in the end all of the heros were forced together on one ship, so we were able to see how the Imperial Knights interact with Cade interact with the Jedi interact with Cade's friends interact with the Imperial Missionaries. Great fun :D

However, the character that probably impressed me the most, and this came completely out of left field for me, was Sia. Early on she was pretty much playing the damsel in distress, however we really got a good look at her on Vendaxa that showed what her character truly was. I felt her talk with Cade right before the IKs show up was probably the best done moment in the arc. It was very well done and showed not only that Sia is smart and competent but was able to contrast her with Cade when they are both in similar positions. Then her fear for her "father" and her self sacrifice for Cade was great. The princess really impressed me and I hope to see a lot more of her in the future.

Also, the Vao's impressed me. I expected them to be somehow overshadowed by their apparent ancestry, but that turned out to be more of a throw away than anything. They were both really good characters and I enjoyed the family interaction.

I should also point out that the character design for Darth Nihl is really good. By just making him black and white and skinny, plus his staff, Jan was able to make him look like the grim reaper, which he pretty much was for Kol. Well done indeed.

And finally, for the record, I think I should just point out that Darth Krayt, Antares Draco, Ganner Krieg and Wolf Sazen are all incredibly awesome.

This arc really only was hurt by the fact that it is the first. It has set up a wonderful galaxy and I look forward to seeing more of all of these characters.

24. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    4/5 A very solid start. John does an awesome job of creating characters that are new, but have evolved out of 'character types' we've seen before. I like the fact that Cade is a bit of a jerk, it gives him room to grow. Some of the one liners have already defined some of the characters for me. "Shut up and kill something," and "Blast her or marry her Vao!" were chortle worthy. :D Jan's art is as always, fantastic, and the designs of this era are really unique. Can't wait to see what happens with the Jedi, Sith, Imperial Remnant and Galactic Alliance. I just hope this series gets the 100 odd issues it deserves.

I leave it at 4/5 because there's always room for growth.

25. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Finally got my hands on this. Picked it up and didn't set it down till I was done. Simply amazing. Loved the artwork, loved the storyline, loved the characters. The storyline even had emotion to it ... had me hoping for characters to do certain things, and then excitement building in my when they did them. Superb job all around.

5/5