main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Comics The JC Lit Comic Reviews Special: RITE OF PASSAGE

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Sep 28, 2002.

1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Due to the unprecedented success of Caine's Lit Review Specials threads, I decided to try to expand it to the comics and see if it works out.

You know the drill: Rate the comic (all 4 issues) on a scale of 1-10, and provide a review if you'd like. You can also compare it to previous arcs, etc.

2. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    9.5. The entire Vos/Aayla arc has been great, and this is probably the high point so far.

3. ganner_rhysode

ganner_rhysode Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2001
    Hmm, Rite of Passage. Well what can I say. It was cool enough but something seemed lacking IMO. The plot was interesting enough, the Morgukai with their Cortosis weapons and armour were interesting. Villie remained one of the greatest Prequel era characters yet created. The art was crisp as usual.

And yet I was strangely dissatisfied with the arc as a whole.

I don't know what it is exactly, can't put my finger on it. Maybe Quin's morality wasn't as ambiguous as previously, or maybe Aayla isn't as multi-dimensional and interesting now that she has lost her rage. I don't know.

Enjoyable, but merely average, I'm afraid.

Issue 1: 8 - promising start.
    Issue 2: 7 - The doubts crept in.
    Issue 3: 9 - Excellent. The Jedi infiltrating the Morgukai stronghold was amazing.
    Issue 4: 6 - Massive dissappointment after #3. The return of Bok was stupid, and the whole issue was just an anti climax. :(

4. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    I guess I'll just take the avg of those 4 scores:

17/2=8.5/10

5. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I liked it, I think Aalya and Quilan are much cooler now that they have returned to being "standard Jedi"

Though what exactly is wrong with Master Tholme? I mean the guy looks like a hobo!

6. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Has no one else read RITE OF PASSAGE? :confused:

7. Nichos_Marr

Nichos_Marr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    Of course :p

I would give Rite of Passage an 9/10.

Spoilers...

It had beautiful art, great one liners and an interesting storyline.

The first issue was a bit slow, and that's what kind of brought it down for me. I didn't really feel myself being drawn in, despite the great art and great characters. The second issue was much more of an improvement, especially during the beginning. Jan Duursema has a knack for drawing some of the coolest fight scenes to date.

The third issue was also great. I liked the continuous battle between the Jedi and the Morgukai. The desert setting came alive through the wonderful art. I also liked how the scenes kept on going back and forth to Ryloth and Master Tholme's cell. It ended on a cliff hanger, that made me really want to read the next issue. The fourth issue started off with a bang. The fight between the Morgukai and Quinlan was dazzling. Especially when he began to fight with two lightsabers. I liked how we got to see Villie again, and Dooku's multiple appearances through the story arc. The ending was just as good as the beginning, with Aalya being Knighted and Quinlan being promoted to Master rank.

End Spoilers...

"Two Morgukai against a wounded Jedi? Seems unfair. Would it help if I closed my eyes?" - Quinlan Vos

^ Great line.

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yep, smart work by Ostrander & Duursema. When coupled with Twilight & Darkness, which I recently acquired and read ie. yesterday!, the 12 issue trilogy is a masterpiece of art and narrative.

I didn't mind that Bok came back, what was irritating was that Bok lacks his father's sense of honour. He is simply a thug, little more.

Duursema does wonderful art, easily amongst the best, which is to say equal to Kennedy, Williamson, Crespo, Nadeau. The Infinities teams also seem good.

Ostrander can actually do tales where a Jedi goes dark or touches the dark side and actually acts to rectify his or her error once they know. Think this isn't a big thing? Look at how NJO has handled the dark side for why Ostrander stands out, both in his portrayal of it and the Jedi.

ROP: 9 out of 10.
    The Trilogy Overall: 10.

A great, epic tale of two Jedi spanning 2 years, with a perhaps final part to come set several years on.

JB

9. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Quilan being promoted to Master rank.

ACK! I wish i wish I hadn't read that review. :(

10. Nichos_Marr

Nichos_Marr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    ACK! I wish i wish I hadn't read that review.

Sorry, I thought spoilers were allowed. Next time I'll put a warning.

11. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    35/4=8.75/10

12. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Oh, I thought spoilers were allowed.. I just didn't think something as cool as that would be in the comic. Now I wish I had waited until I got the issue. :(

I know Aayla gets knighted in the comic, I didn't know that Quinlan gets his "master's degree". :p

This is what I get for accidently giving Wedge 88 a DW spoiler. lol :p

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'll give it a 9/10. The first issue was a little slow, and the Baby-Quin/Baby-Aayla opening wasn't really nessasary.

::hums:: Jedi Babies...they'll make the Senate's dreams come true..Jedi Babies ...they'll take on Dooku......

sorry, ::) anyways...

Whats great about this arc is that it really starts setting up a great rogue's gallery of sorts for Dooku's henchmen, between the Twi'lek and Bok and all, on top of the not-utilized-in-this-arc-but-already-existing guy from Jedi Starfighter and Jango.

I hope we get some kind of flashback from Bok in an upcoming issue that shows us just how Bok survived, cause alst we saw him lava was literally splashing around him.

14. Dark_Terror

Dark_Terror Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2002
    That's the onely thing I didn't like about the arc.

In reality he would've burned up just from the heat. The lava wouldn't even have had to touch him.

Those Nikto must have tough hides. :p