main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The JC Lit Reviews Special: AFTERMATH: LIFE DEBT (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jul 11, 2016.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    We continue to witness the aftermath of the Battle of Endor through the eyes of a few intrepid New Republic soldiers/spies. No longer confined to Akiva, Norra Wexley and her band of eclectics strive to help the effort to continually wound the remains of the Empire so that they can bring freedom to the galaxy more swiftly.

This was an interesting continuation of the events from Aftermath, as it took a broader focus on the war effort between the New Republic and the Empire, while still following Norra, Sinjir, Temmin, Jas, Jom, and Mr. Bones on a more personal adventure. They’ve been hunting down top Imperial officials and officers, but they also receive a special mission from Leia herself, which is to find a missing Han. And it turns out Han isn’t missing, but is rather on the down-low in search of clues on the whereabouts of Chewie, as the two of them had been planning on conducting a mission to liberate Chewie’s home world of Kashyyyk, but things went awry and Chewie was captured. So once Norra and the others find Han, they agree to team up and bring down the Empire on Kashyyyk all on their own. And of course in the process of doing so Norra is reunited with her long-lost husband, though she soon finds he’s not quite the man he used to be.

Meanwhile Rae Sloane is trying her best to stay afloat in her role as what’s essentially the leader of the Empire. However she is not truly in control, as the mysterious Fleet Admiral Gallius Rax is the one pulling the strings. Throughout we see her chafe under his seemingly arbitrary methods, and we feel her helplessness as he manipulates characters and events in his favor, rather than the Empire’s. Though she does begin to investigate him, and learns some interesting tidbits about his rise through the ranks of the Empire.

I thought most of the core group were characterised well here, and Han and Leia as well. Though I thought Norra got sidelined a bit once she returned to Chandrilla with Brentin. I get that a spouse can become unreasonably happy after reuniting with their partner after a long while, but I thought she got hit a bit too hard with that characterisation, and cheapened her role a bit. I did like how Temmin reacted, though- as an ever-changing teenager he’s a lot more inclined to react in a torrent of emotions to such a drastic change in his life. The character I thought got the best development here was Sinjir, as he’s struggling to see his place within the NR after all the horrible acts he had committed under the Empire. His inner struggle with reconciling his nastier traits with his more wholesome lifestyle was very captivating, and I enjoyed the way it affected the rest of the team. As for Jas and Jom, I thought there relationship was interesting, and added a bit of flavor to their stories.

Overall this was pretty good. It got real interesting once they got to Kashyyyk, and the liberation itself was really fun and action-packed. Rax is certainly an interesting cookie, and his and Sloane’s roles in leading the crux of the Empire was interesting after we saw the conditions on Coruscant and the garrison at Kashyyyk, where they Imperials stationed therein are basically all on their own and barely managing to maintain control and autonomy. Once again the interludes were really cool sneak peeks into various people’s lives around the galaxy.

I give Life Debt an 8.7 out of 10 for a good followup to the first Aftermath book, and for taking its characters in new and interesting directions.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  2. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    I was not the biggest fan of the first Aftermath, but once I start something, I gotta finish it.

I just started reading Life Debt today and expect to be done with it by the end of the week. Hopefully this one works better than the first, but we shall see.

3. Counter

Counter Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 3, 2017
    Lift Debt is the best of the Aftermath trilogy--which is a little like saying it's the best car in the junkyard. These are just a really poor trio of novels that largely fail to capture the essence of the Star Wars setting, miss a golden opportunity to really capture the post-Endor story in a manner that the Shattered Empire comics were able to pull off in just four issues, have paper-thin characters with little-to-no-depth, and substitute modern jargon/phrases/lexicon in such a jarring way as to pull the reader out of the setting at almost every turn.

The interludes are a good concept and one of the few highlights to these stories. And I generally enjoy the idea of the New Republic (or at least Leia's loyalists therein) working to set the Wookiees free relatively soon after Endor. But the ham-handed way Norra, Temmin (who might be the worst Star Wars character ever created...so much so that I am actively rooting for his death in The Last Jedi after being subjected to his shoddy character arc/personality in these novels), Jas, and crew are inserted into the larger narrative with Leia and Han feels forced and completely inauthentic. It was as if the author and Story Group needed these characters to be seen as important so that the readers would actually care and the only way they knew how to do that was tie them in with Han/Leia and liberating Kashyyyk.

I could not have been more disappointed in this trilogy and believe it will not age well in comparison to other NuCanon works (Lost Stars, Bloodline, Thrawn to name a few).

4. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I must've missed this review thread. They aren't posted as consistently, which may have resulted in a general usage decrease. Or maybe it's the other way around: decrease usage resulted in less consistent creation of review threads.

They used to be one of my favorite TFN features, including the links to prior review threads.

I realize logistics may be an issue here, but any plans to resurrect consistent usage of lit. review threads?

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I had thought these used to get stickied for a time a la the comic threads currently.

6. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    I finished LIfe Debt.

Honestly, overall, it is a significant improvement over the first Aftermath. The chapters are a bit longer and the interludes don't interrupt the narrative quite as frequently (at least it felt that way), so the pacing is better and I feel the main story and characters are easier to digest as a result. Also, the presence of key Original Trilogy characters heightens up the intrigue exponentially.

That said, it still isn't great. While not as intrusive as book 1, I am still unsure as to what the point of the Interludes. They continue to interrupt the flow of the story by offering information that in no way impacts it. Sadly, once again, some of the stories in the interludes are actually more interesting than the main story itself (Darth Vader Cult? Yes please!) but those ideas are fully realized on their own and cut into the main story whenever they pop up. If they wanted to do a bunch of short stories showing what is going on in the galaxy following the 2nd Death Star's destruction, couldn't they just tack all of those at the end as a list of stand alone stories?

Also the main story itself has some issues. I don't want to spoil any of it, but there are some huge gaps in logic for the characters, and some pretty big coincidences in the story. Also, having the OT characters near the main Aftermath characters, while it makes the story more interesting, it also highlights the weaknesses of the later crew even more.

My biggest criticism of the Jedi Academy Trilogy was that Kevin J Anderson seemed to have a ton of good ideas and he wanted to use ALL of them, resulting in a series of books that felt fairly bloated and unfocused. It is kind of the same problem with the Aftermath books. Oh well, I've got one more Aftermath book to read so hopefully it goes out on a high note.

7. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    6/10. Its the only one in the Aftermath: Trilogy that's bearable and that's saying something

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    A big improvement over the first book and written in a way that doesn't require you to read the first book at all or leave you feeling like you're missing a previous installment, It has fewer of the Interludes that were the true highlight of the first book, but the ones here are solid and continue to help provide a greater sense of the actual aftermath of Endor more than any of the larger evenst taking place in this series or even comics like Shattered Empire.

A lot of big events take place "off screen" or between chapters so it has an odd outside-looking-in vibe at times. This makes the shift to having the bigger heroes off-screen for the half of the book only to bring them more into a central role in the second half a bit jarring.

The good original characters are still the draw here, though. Mister Bones is still amazing. Sloane is the most compelling and Sinjir is highly entertaining. Temmin still sucks, but he sucks less here.

Overall, I'd probably this one on par with Tarkin of the books I've read so far. Tarkin was better written but I connected with most of the new characters here more than NU Tarkin's characterization.

My ranking: 7.5/10

Ranking NU Adult Novels so far:
    -The Last Jedi 10.0
    -Catalyst 9.5
    -Lords of the Sith 8.5
    -Aftermath: Life Debt 7.5
    -Tarkin 7.0
    -Aftermath 7.0

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Average Score Update: 213.4/27 = 7.90

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Just finished this book. I thought it was fine; though some parts dragged on a bit too long. I didn't particularly care for
    the love triangle between Nora, her husband (once he was found) and Wedge. I'll have to see if it plays more of a role in Empire's End as I read it next.

I'd give this novel a 7/10. The audiobook commentary and sound effects certainly gave it a boost.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Average Score Update: 220.4/27 = 7.87