main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The JC Lit Reviews Special: AHSOKA (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Oct 10, 2016.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Please rate the book from 1-10, supplying a review if you wish. Please do not review the book until you've finished reading.

2. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    10/10
    I finished the book this morning and I must say that I was very happy with it. The pacing for me is what stood out for me while reading this. I think E.K Johnston did a great job of not only focusing on Ahsoka, but giving love to the secondary Characters as well. It was especially awesome to see Bail Organa get some love. I think it is safe to say that if Bail had not been on Alderran, he would be Chancellor of the New Republic instead on Mon Mothma.

I really got to know Ahsoka a lot better, and that was awesome. I really got the sense that she was a fairly decent tactician when it came to mapping out the plans for the resistance on Raada. Too bad the folks didn't listen to her more and decided to alter the plan. Some would still be alive if they had. I enjoyed Miara and Kaeden's characters, but I was more intrigued with Miara because there is potential for her to show up in the current Rebels season because she is good at making explosives.

Artoo was a great bonus for me especially the interaction he shared with Ahsoka. I guess I didn't realize how close she was with him. Which makes me wonder now if Artoo could have told Luke about her at some point since he memory wasn't wiped? So Artoo in my opinion has even more knowledge that could come into play in the ST's.

Bail and Ahsoka's interactions were also really good. I got the sense that he trusted her, but was unsure exactly how much he could tell her about what he knew? I think part of him wanted to let her know about the kids, but I agree with him in not telling her. But he was pretty sure that she knew that Padme and Anakin were a thing. Which at the end of season 5 in TCW Ahsoka kinda of hinted at when she left.

Has anyone else noticed that with Empire Day there seems to be a re-birth of the Force going on? So far there are now 4 children who were born on or near Empire Day Luke and Leia, Ezra Bridger and now Hedala Fardi. Speaking of Hedala, I am wondering if she will show up again someday? By my accounts she is around the same age as Luke, Leia and Ezra.

I now understand why we didn't see Ahsoka a whole lot during season 2 of Rebels, she constantly had to be on the move gaining intel. So it took her all over the galaxy. I think for a first book this was pretty darn good. I am highly suspicious that there is another one already in the works. They have a ton of information that they can cover. Especially since Ahsoka mentioned that there was no doubt more Force Sensitive children being born that needed to be protected from the Empire. I suspect that is going to play a very big role in the Future to come.

This is a must read I believe.

3. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    I almost never give a book a ten. its can always be better.

but I will give it an 8.5/10 which is one of my highest ratings of any new canon book. I believe I gave Bloodlines a 9, cant remember. So for me that is a high score. The book was very good start to finish. I actually enjoyed that it was a slower, story based novel. Does not have to be loaded with action. It was an enjoyable read, but not an elite book. To me its not Bloodlines level. I have it tied for second with Lost Stars

4. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015

I agree. The Ahsoka novel while a good read, isn't quite up there with Bloodline or Life Debt for me. But this is still a good book to add to your Canon collection. There are some things involving the Kyber Crystals that may be factoring in the ST's which is Force lore that I can appreciate.

JediMatteus likes this.
  5. SienneRe

SienneRe Jedi Master star 2

Mar 23, 2016
    6/10 for me
    nice read but nothing special. Bit boring first half, much better the second one. Not very interesting new characters, but amazing Bail - I feel we don't have him enough in New Canon. I liked the Kyber Crystals scenes and explanation about the red colour.
    I wish it was more about the beginning of the rebellion (and Ahsoka's place in it) and less about Ahsoka on the run - we already had a padawan on the run in Kanan's comics (which I personally think handled this problem much better - she was never hungry, totally desperate on in a real danger).
    I really liked the TCW flashbacks and nods to the readers (finally something about Barriss!) but basically all the interludes were very interesting and adding more to the story.

6. Vader'sGoodHand

Vader'sGoodHand Jedi Master star 3

Apr 1, 2014
    7/10

I was just happy to hear more about her again but I could've done without the crush that was so blatant. One thing I love is seeing Ahsoka in combat and we got some of that but we really missed out on all the smuggling missions she did near the end of the book. I mean going up against the Black Sun and all we get is a small dust up with a bounty hunter? I do wonder if Vader found her old lightsabers on her fake grave? I could see them sitting in the top drawer of his desk.

7. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    8/10. I really enjoyed it

JediMatteus likes this.
  8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It’s never easy adjusting to a new way of life, especially after suffering so much hardship. Ahsoka Tano now finds herself on the run- no friends, no resources but her mind and her fighting skills, and most of all no idea what she’s going to do next. In the novel Ahsoka, we follow her a year after the fall of the Jedi and the Republic, as she’s just beginning to settle into a new life for herself.

The novel is a pretty standard tale of a veteran who can’t help but rise to the occasion when she sees people in a difficult situation. Ahsoka spent much of the Clone Wars not just fighting for the Republic, but helping those disadvantaged by the war, and here she does the same on a small farming moon that the Empire has just taken interest in. Initially she just wanted to settle in an out-of-the-way place where she could still at least interact with some locals, but the Imperial Machine needs constant management, so the Empire takes over the farming operations on the moon for its own needs, regardless of how that impacts the lives of the farmers. As a former Jedi, Ahsoka needs to keep a low profile; but she also cannot simply sit by and let the Empire abuse the farmers, as that is not how Jedi operate. So she uses her skills to help the farmers take on the Imperials.

But Ahsoka is not the only one in the galaxy trying to oppose the Empire. Bail Organa is also looking for ways to impede the machinations of the Empire, and Ahsoka’s actions attract his attention, leading the two of them to meet and agree to work together, further sowing the seeds for future rebellion. I liked this development, as it makes plenty of sense for the remaining Jedi to want to help restore peace and justice to the galaxy. And with Bail’s encouragement, Ahsoka finds the necessary resolve to oust the Imperials from the moon, including an Inquisitor, from whom she recovers a pair of stolen Kyber crystals. Though she had left the Jedi Order, Ahsoka now embodies the true spirit of a Jedi, and additionally she now has lightsabers once more to complete that image.

Overall it was pretty good book. Though Ahsoka is the protagonist, she is not the main focus, nor is she the only POV character, with some of the farmers and Bail getting POV scenes of their own. I thought Ahsoka was written really well, and written very true to her portrayal on The Clone Wars. I also liked most of the farmers, notably Kaeden, who even forms a crush on Ahsoka. There’s also a family that Ahsoka was with at the beginning of the novel that she returns to midway through that have a pretty interesting dynamic. They’re a well-off and influential family on their planet, but they also run some under-the-table business ventures. Ahsoka never confronts them about these ventures, knowing acknowledging them puts her at risk, but she does understand why they’d partake in such risky methods of earning some extra cash, since some of their ventures help those disenfranchised by the Empire. I liked Ashoka’s interactions with the patriarch of the family, who’s presented at first as just an ordinary businessman, but later reveals that he’s more savvy than he lets on, and acts as a valuable confidant for Ashoka. And of course Bail was written very well, plus his appearance meant R2-D2 also got to appear, giving us a nice little reunion between him and Ashoka.

There’s also a few scenes from the POV of the Imperials on the farming moon, most notably for the lone inquisitor. I liked the insight into the measures Vader and Palpatine are taking to track down Jedi this early into the reign of the Empire, though how effective those measures are are rendered suspect when Ahsoka manages to kill the inquisitor without even having any lightsabers yet.

I give this novel a 9.1 out of 10 for a fun little adventure for a former Jedi during the rise of the Empire, and for giving a little expansion to one of the main characters of The Clone Wars.

Ghost and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  9. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    6/10 for me. Good solid read, but felt a bit flat and underwhelming to what it perhaps could have been. I have timeline issues reading the progression of The Inquisitors as a whole, Ahsoka's rebellion role only 1 year post ROTS.

SienneRe likes this.
  10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    [​IMG]

It's a good book, but where it excels is in the little details of life under Empire:
    • The general view would be that Raada must have done something to deserve the Imperial interest but it didn't.
    • The stormtroopers coming by houses to check occupants are at work.
    • Asking Ahsoka where she is going on the Empire Day, if you're not at the celebrations you stand out.
    • The plants that wreck the ecosystem of wherever they are planted. Why not? There's always another planet.
    The book had a wide array of villains but the king scumbag has to be that bureaucrat mathematician - who legs it and escapes. What an incredibly awful piece o' crap.

11. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    9/10
    It was pretty much what I wanted out of an Ahsoka book and I was very pleased that Johnston's characterization of Ahsoka was right on. I also thought the support characters were all interesting and well written, which made you sympathize with them even when they did some pretty stupid things.

12. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    8/10

I wrote a full review HERE but I'll give a short version: I liked it! It was basically what I expected in terms of quality from a YA novel. I loved how it really made the Star Wars films and TV series feel very connected, because they usually feel like two unrelated things to me. It was great seeing more of Ahsoka, even if the premise was very similar to A New Dawn. It left me wanting more, that's for sure. Bring on my Ahsoka stories!

Not sure where I'd place it in my ranking of favorite canon novels yet... Probably somewhere in the middle. Not the best, but very enjoyable anyway. Far from the worst.

13. Negotiator1138

Negotiator1138 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 23, 2016
    3/10

I am really disappointed with this book. The NEU books have consistently let me down (excepting Lost Stars and Bloodline, both Claudia Gray books) so I didn't come into this book expecting much anyway.

The writing was fine, so this definitely isn't a one star book. But the absolute lack of creativity was nearly overwhelming and was by far the worst aspect of the book. I couldn't believe a Star Wars book could be this inactive and uninteresting.

One of her biggest flaws is that on her new planet of Raada, she had like seven or eight main characters. Each of these characters had a two syllable name.

Kaeden
    Neera
    Kolvin
    Selda
    Vartan
    The list goes on, I just can't remember any of the other characters because they refused to stand out in any way. By choosing these simple names, she really undermined all the character work she did with each of them. I couldn't tell them apart even through the end of the book.

Having varying character names would have really helped the characters I think. This is something most all authors do, I wonder why she didn't get the memo.

Having said all this, her characterization of Ahsoka was spot on I thought, it is a shame she couldn't build up a good story around her. The plot was seemingly thought up within two minutes. Give me three minutes and I could come up with something better.

This book had no stakes, and I will probably forget everything that happened. Here is another author I hope never gets to write Star Wars again.

PS: Lucasfilm, please choose bold authors! Not self-indulgent fan-fic writers!

14. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I liked the focus on a single character, Ahsoka. That in itself is pretty novel to Star Wars books. Only other example I can think of is I,Jedi.

It was a good story, and I really enjoyed it. The departure from a galaxy shattering event, in lieu of a more on personal and local events focus was refreshing (but clear webs tying to the larger context).

I thought the writer nailed Ahsoka's characterization. In the NEU, she may very well be the most dynamic and developed SW character. Possibly the most consistently developed character in all of Star Wars.

A fun story I liked. And, she's pretty badass.

8.5/10

15. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    2/10

I gave it two ratings, because I thought the author portrayed Ahsoka and Bail well. But I didn’t really like much about the story. The farmer parts were kind of boring to me, and I thought there was stuff that didn’t really fit into the Rebels canon, like Ahsoka fighting an inquisitor, the inquisitors knowing about Ahsoka (and yet it takes them fifteen years for the Empire to find her again?), and I didn’t like how it made it canon that Ahsoka was still in contact with Anakin after she left the Jedi Order. That doesn’t really make sense to me.

16. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I thought this one was just OK. I did enjoy seeing Ahsoka's reaction to the events post-episode III and to the early Empire. I also liked setting the Siege of Mandalore which I assume was going to occur near the finale of the Clone Wars TV show. The rest of the story didn't really grab me in any substantive way. I just wish there was more to it. Not many of the new characters were all that interesting and I do understand the need for a smaller story but I guess I was looking for more. 5/10

17. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    4/10 Didn't have much going for it. Ahsoka got her spotlight stolen by other characters I didn't care for and can't even remember their names. I wanted to know more about Ahsoka's thoughts of all that has happened and barely got a scrap of that.

18. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I enjoyed the audio book, the middle of the book had a lot of development but it was it rather boring . The bagpipes were a little weird though, but if the audio book is anything to go on,the Force theme from Williams is like a real theme in the SW universe, they can hear it apparently. I'll give it a solid 7 1/2. It could've used more action and covered a lil more time both before and after ROTS.

19. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I just finished the book today and thought it was good. Four stars.

It was a little slow to start but once it got going it was very enjoyable. I did like to see how she became Fulcrum and I really thought it fit in well w/the last season of TCW. I liked Kaeden and also liked seeing that she got to live past Alderaan's destruction as seen in a Certain Point of View.

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    I pesonally loved it but there are some flaws 8 out of 10

Iron_lord likes this.