main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The JC Lit Reviews Special: CLONE WARS GAMBIT: SIEGE (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Jul 7, 2010.

1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Unlock and bump.

2. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    It's exactly as bad as its predecessor. Still incredible attention to details that end up completely irrelevant, still showing Zigoola affair from Wild Space down our throats, still most characters acting stupid for no apparent reason, list goes on.

Could it be that production schedule affected it? When Miller was offered to write 5th TCW novel instead of Traviss she apparently didn't bother to come up with any ideas and stretched pre-existing plot over two books instead if one. If a good editor got his hands on it, he could possibly cut that redundant half back, editing out lengthy descriptions, boring dialogue and gazillion'th callback to movies to make it a single, well-paced, pleasant to read novel. Or maybe not.

I'd rate this book marginally better than the first part because it actually had a few interesting scenes (Sith POV) and a single line that made me laugh (or for that matter, fell anything except boredom): "Yes, I know. That was the whole point!".

4.4/10. I'm really hoping Miller won't be offered to write anything else SW-related.

3. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 69.9/12 = 5.83

4. Krusty_the_Clone

Krusty_the_Clone Jedi Padawan star 3

Jul 4, 2006
  5. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 76.9/13 = 5.92

6. Shepherd492

Shepherd492 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2011
    My review here

4.3/10

7. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 81.2/14 = 5.80

8. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    I have just completed the Telenovela that is Star Wars Gambit Siege. It took me a couple few years to return to the literature fold, and I am rather sorry I started with this. Although I am doing it Audiobook this round.

This was a hard series and book to listen through. Every known member of the GFFA was hit with the drama stick and everyone had all these deep feelings which they constantly exhibited verbally and physically. A Anakin and Obi-Wan mission - how can you go wrong? Well it was managed. What I thought might be a highlight was Anakin pulling off a very cool Force move holding off a majorly destructive theta storm - and I love that sort of thing, so I rallied for that bit of storytelling, but then it all went to pot when immediately afterward, Anakin sat sobbing - he wasn't even sobbing after Mustafar. Come on man. Further, all Anakin and Obi-Wan ever did was bicker, emote and cause one another deep heartache and distress. Why they would ever wish to work together was completely unclear, and yet the characters declared it was so (and this may have been one of the occasions where statements were followed by Anakin giving Obi-wan a hug. Okay then. Moving on.)

I really disliked the TeaBs (or Tiebes, Teebs, Tebbs?) I honestly did not care if the droids burst through the shield, captured the Jedi and wiped the whole village out. They were boring and insipid.

One thing I always dislike in the Lit/EU in general is when authors give their characters a clarity that was lacking in the storyline (i.e., Anakin will go dark; the Chancellor is dark, etc.) In this book this happened on multiple occasions. Everyone was realizing things about others for the first time and it made sense because all "others" were over emoting and expressing themselves outrageously.

Well I can only say to myself: welcome back to Lit, xx_Anakin_xx, may things look up from here. I can only be thankful that the Audiobook was abridged.

1/10

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    Grey1 likes this.
  9. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Why did this thread have to remind me of this book. Here's a couple of notes I remember.

-Lok Durd having a human underling officer who is xenophobic (which doesn't really make sense when the Separatist movement is run by alien corporations) it's almost like Miller was writing an imperial character in the wrong era.

-Palatine shouting at Yoda. So much for the kind grandfather act....you think he might be secretly evil?

-Obi Wan snapping at Anakin just for letting him take five extra minutes sleep in this draining exhaustive angst driven mission.

-Lok Durd beating up his assistant in a vain attempt to seem "dangerous" while screaming at her like a petulant two year old.

-Durd hiring a force attuned bounty hunter with a mysterious aura around them...only for them to literally just stand and point at a holomap then get paid.

1/10

xx_Anakin_xx likes this.