main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The JC Lit Reviews Special: CORUSCANT NIGHTS II: STREET OF SHADOWS (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Sep 6, 2008.

1. Darth_Monopoly

Darth_Monopoly Jedi Master star 2

Jun 6, 2006
    9/10

Yes, there were continuity errors, but I still enjoyed this book quite a bit. I would definitely read it again. I thought it was great.

2. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    9/10

I thought it one upped Twilight (the middle felt kind of slow to me).

The pulp noir murder mystery aspect was well done too, while at the same time forwarding the plots and character development from the first one.

Loved the Vader-Typho confrontation at the end (in ways, he kind of won).

Plus I'm an Asimov fan. How can I not like a robot murder mystery. Only thing I'm dissappointed about is that I didn't figure it out.

Don't let the continuity errors spoil an excellent yarn.

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I assume you mean Typho?

Getting a Padme reaction from Vader counts as a win?

Not really...

4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 146.9/19 = 7.73

5. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002

Well clearly he lost. But I would call it more than a reaction--it was more like intense, very intense, emotional pain.

It was a spiritual win, if you will (but I'm guessing you won't).

6. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    I don't know. Vader actually seemed to grow larger in a Frodo-dominates-Gollum kind of way. Typho got his $0.02 in. Big deal. It didn't seem to have any lasting effect on Vader.

7. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Come on. He got at least a good nickel in there.

Maybe no lasting effect, but a continued reminder of what he did, thus keeping at least part of him anchored to the part of himself that is still Anakin, arguably.

In any case, I liked the scene.

(BTW, the LOTR analogy was pretty funny/clever.)

8. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I'll give it an 8. I finished it a few weeks back so I can't write up a full review but I enjoyed it although it felt a bit light.

9. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    It is a significantly shorter book than its predecessor, not only because of a lesser page count but also due to an enlarged font.

10. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 154.9/20 = 7.75

11. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Good read, but not quite as good as the first. As usual, it had me scrambling for the dictionary every so often, as well as the Wook to get a look at some of the more vague alien species. I do enjoy that Reaves does that, however, and I liked that he even created that very alien organism that could see through time. That's a rather different addition to the Star Wars universe, and I like seeing something that would surprise and shock the inhabitants of this diverse, wonder-filled galaxy.

It's nice to get a bit more of Laranth in this book, but by the end I still didn't feel that she'd had enough development for the emotional payoff that there was supposed to be. Other additions to this series but welcome returns to the EU (for me anyway) were the developments with Typho and Aurra Sing. Finding out Typho had a thing for Padme was nice since it actually gave the character... well, some character. It's a shame his story had to end, but much like I felt when reading TFU, it was a doomed mission to begin with, so watching him head toward his inevitable death was a bit sad.

While I liked seeing Aurra Sing again, I'm not sure releasing her from prison decades before her LOTF appearance was completely necessary. Still, this might be my favorite appearance of hers.

Speaking of TFU, this is the second book I've read recently that has Vader laughing, something I don't remember him doing much in other stories. And I loved that confrontation he has with Sing in his chamber. His pinning of her to the ground using the Force reminded me of Luke doing the same to Jacen in the chair. True, Aurra's not in the league of any of those mentioned, but it's still fun to think about. Personally, after Dark Lord, I have no problem with Vader's unquestionable badassery in these books.

As others have mentioned, the lack of noir is again disappointing. And as others have also pointed out, the murder investigation isn't really all that much of an investigation and gets wrapped up rather quickly and tidily. So much so, that I'd forgotten about Aurra's involvement in the book until she showed up at the end.

Speaking of the end, I couldn't help but roll my eyes a bit when Jax actually seemed to summarize the many tasks he has ahead of him (such as the bota and finding the Sith), as if giving us a preview of what his motivations will be in the final story. Rhinnan's investigation is rather interesting, though. I'll look forward to what he's going to do with that.

Like I said, not quite as good as Part I, but enjoyable enough. 8/10

12. IcePirate

IcePirate Jedi Master star 2

Jul 13, 2005
    great story. the dates glared at me, and i'm a casual reader. the noir wasn't "grey" enough.... or there wasn't enough of it.... or something.

still a fun read.

13. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 170.5/22 = 7.75

14. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    So little to say about this disappointing second round with Jax and Co. The book had several different plots going and I found it difficult caring about a single one. I wondered how Aurra Sing would continue to make a fool of herself more than the superfluous murder mystery itself. I mean Caamas is destroyed and they're doing a murder investigation of one dead Caamasi on Coruscant? In the Imperial Center headed by a Zabrak cop? It might have made a bit more sense if Caamas was destroyed after this mystery. And I would have thought the Emperor would have all humanoid cops at this point across his dominion. Guess he has a soft spot for Zabrak's.

And of course Aurra Sing does make a fool of herself in the end, right on cue.

6/10

15. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 176.5/23 = 7.67

16. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    6/10

not as good as the first but, like the first nothing really happened until towards the end. the murder investigation was asinine imo. jax doesn't even do much investigating, then gets the answer handed to him. seems Reaves had too many ideas and plots that he wanted to use but didn't have the page time.

and don't get me started on the dates. i'm totally confused as to when this actually takes place.

one of the big positives i can point out is how in this series minor characters that survived ep3 but aren't around in ep4 are getting knocked off. better than having them fade away.

also vader was amazing.

after the third is out i'm sure my opinion of Street will change. i guess we'll see.

btw is sing dead for good? she better be

17. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    No, she can't be dead for good, she shows up later in LOTF.

The book takes place during the first year after ROTS.

18. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    "No, she can't be dead for good, she shows up later in LOTF. "

gar foiled again! [face_frustrated]

19. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    Not to mention Demolition. ;)

20. Darklighter

Darklighter Jedi Master

May 23, 1999
    Average score: 182.5/24 = 7.60

21. Elori

Elori Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2002
    The book was fun, I give it a 7/10. The lightsaber and blaster battles were pretty funny, especially Typho against Sing. Typho in love with Padmé just about killed me. Typho wanting to kill her "murderer" was even better. I'll totally be reading Patterns of the Force!:)

22. Darklighter

Darklighter Jedi Master

May 23, 1999
    Average score: 189.54/25 = 7.58

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    THE BUTLER DID IT! [face_laugh] =D= [face_laugh]

That's about as perfect a resolution you can get to a murder mystery :D

As with the first book, I really enjoyed this one- timeline mistakes notwithstanding, Reaves really captures a grounded SW universe very well. Combined with the heavy Imperial elements now present at this point in the timeline, it's something we haven't really had the pleasure to read since the X-Wing series and Han Solo Trilogy (and, perhaps, the anthologies). That's quite remarkable and fantastic to experience again.

I also enjoyed the interjection of the Typho subplot- though I was hoping that would lead somewhere more for book three.

The use of the Caamasi incident was an unexpected surprise- effectively used for the characters' plotline, too.

Bravo!

That said, I think the first book was slightly stronger, so I'll give this one a 9.5/10

24. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 199.04/26 = 7.66

25. Darth_Nihl

Darth_Nihl Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2008
    I read this about a week ago and was surprisingly impressed! While the first one was okay, it just didn't draw me in, and I didn't really like any of the characters, so I didn't bother reading this until now. Somehow I managed to avoid spoilers, and that made the book all the better. I love a good murder mystery, and this was a fun, fast read.

I also really liked Dejah, and was thrilled when she didn't turn out to be the killer/some other form of evil.
    Vader and Aurra Sing were both written quite well. I've always compared Sing to Ventress, and hated them both, but I kind of like Sing as the crazy woman after this book.
    I loved the secondary characters - The jenet, Spa Fon, Sele, the Umbers, the cephalon etc.
    I also liked I-Five a lot more in this book, not quite sure why, and Jax turned out to actually be likable.
    Laranth is still boring, but at least she seems to be gone.

The mention of Geroons really bothered me, I think I had to reread that sentence three times. But I can forgive that.
    Typho's plotline was slightly boring, especially compared to what was going on in the other plotlines, but his death more than made up for it:cool:
    I hate Den. All he does is complain. But its a good hate, you know?:p

I'm actually looking forward to the next one now, and I'm hoping the inevitable showdown between Vader and Jax is done well.

9.5/10