main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The JC Lit Reviews Special: LOST TRIBE OF THE SITH: THE COLLECTED STORIES (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Sep 3, 2012.

1. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    10/10

Was very impressed. Glad to see JJM bridging out from comics to novels.

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 84.4/9 = 9.38

3. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Just finished last night.

I got this simply because JJM wrote it and I loved Knight Errant. Comparing the two, I'd say I preferred KE a bit more, but by no means was this bad.

The short story format was a bit irksome at times because there was so much more I wanted to learn about various characters that I knew wouldn't be fleshed out in such short spans. That said, JJM did a really good job of giving a bunch of different characters a satisfactory amount of backstory and personality in such short spans. Hence, why I wanted more... because I became attached to so many of the characters.

I am not a Sith fan at all and I was rooting against them the whole time (though I knew they couldn't "lose," per se, since I know that in 43 ABY they're still at the top of the food chain on Kesh). But, the stories were really intriguing. It was really interesting to see the Sith at work, subjugating a society through deceit rather than force, for the most part. My attachment to the characters made it hurt to see them duped and, even when they realized their predicament, unable to resist too effectively. It was a really bummer ending at the end of Pandemonium to see Quarra in such a state.

JJM did a good job tying the stories together logically, too. I liked the references back to older stories, especially the vision Quarra had of Ori (especially because I was so intrigued by her relationship with Jelph; it made sense that they had kids and lived their lives together after the end of their story, but it was good to see it spelled out nonetheless).

While I did say above that I wanted more, I did like the thought of these short story collections. I really wish they'd release more collections like this, perhaps of old SW Insider stories or Hyperspace stories.

I'll rate it a 9.5 out of 10.

4. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I know this isn't a page for discussion, but this praise gets me seriously excited. I own this anthology but haven't touched it. I will make sure to read this as soon as I get home!

5. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 93.9/10 = 9.39

BoromirsFan likes this.
  6. aalagartassle

aalagartassle Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2011
    A 9.5 not a 10 because they had a Jedi in it. Other than that little story it was a fantastic read.

Jedi scum :p

7. Darth Ridiculis

Darth Ridiculis Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 15, 2013
    9.5/10. JJM should have written the whole Fotj series or at least been in the rotation.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  8. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    I actually liked the Lost Tribe in these stories, which is more than I can say for FotJ. 9/10

9. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 121.9/13 = 9.38

10. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    Man, I won't give it a score for fear that I'll mess up the good thing going here, but am I the only one who didn't like this?? I thought it was ok, but if you took the word sith out of it, it wouldn't even be a SW book!! Well, except for the one lone Jedi, and the fact that there was no real closure to it really bugged me. It's like the Sith that did land on the planet were merely slaves of the real Sith, and then deluded themselves over long periods of time (and most probably a lot of incest) into thinking they were really something.

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Funny, you need to read the Lost Tribe of the Sith: Spiral TPB.

12. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008

I tried. I picked up the first two issues of that series while I was reading the novel, or anthology or whatever you wanna call it. Again, they were ok, but not great. I figured if I couldn't get into it by the first two, then why waste my money? Although, the comic was a bit better than the book.

13. JStepp

JStepp Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 10, 2011
    8/10 I was just a little disappointed with the tribe but I guess they are third tier sith. Still not every sith can be all powerful. I also wantted to see more Sith Lords and Ladies. But obviously I enjoyed it a lot.

14. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 129.9/14 = 9.28

15. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I must admit that when these first came out, I wasn't a huge fan. It took me a while to really get into them and I wasn't all that interested until the post-Korsin stories. Having re-read them in the collection along with the addition of Pandemonium I really think they work better as one larger narrative. By their very nature short stories can't delve too deeply into some of the themes explored, yet with the glimpses we get of the initial landing, a complication that leads to a major upheaval, and the fallout from that, we get a great view of how a Sith society might establish itself, function, and even overcome the complications of its very nature.

It's to JJM's credit that he can create interesting, complex characters who still prove to be all too Sith. Korsin, for example, at times seems like one of Miller's usual character archetypes, the protagonist thrust into an insane situation, an attitude that often seems to be above the usual Sith jockeying, and the occasional dry and sarcastic responses to the more absurd moments. Yet, as Adari later learns, he's all too capable of practical ruthlessness and few regrets. They may not be the blatant Black Hats of some of the Dark Lords we've seen, but they follow the philosophy through and through and while the story sometimes has to tell that more than show it, it still seems believable in our brief explorations into the society.

Pandemonium does an admirable job trying to tie all of the previous threads together, providing us with a more concrete fate for Adari, drawing parallels between the relationships of Quarra and Edell to Adari and Korsin, and giving us a few of the patented JJM twists. It's a testament to the strength of characters he can create that I was invested in them rather quickly, even in a story that I found somewhat disappointing. Some tie ins worked better than others (the Ori vision seemed a little random, though it did lead Quarra to her final decision), but it's great to get a follow-up to that wonderful cliffhanger in Secrets. I just wish conquering an entire new continent wasn't so easy. Points for the use of deception rather than brute force, though, and the allusion to Palpatine's ultimate plan, even if that was maybe a little too blatant. Sometimes I like that, though, such as with both Adari and Quarra wondering if the true Protectors are somewhere among the stars, hunting the Sith. It's a fine message, the idea that even amongst their defeats and the conquest of darkness, there's still hope. Here's hoping Kesh's liberation isn't too far into the future.

7.5/10

16. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 137.4/15 = 9.16

17. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Great compilation of stories, which really create interest for the FOTJ series, although unfortunately that series completely warped the tribe beyond repair. The characters are compelling, the plot original. I do agree with the sentiment that the stories aren't very Star Wars, however, I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing, as it was incredibly original and engaging.

8.5/10

18. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 145.9/16 = 9.12

19. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    Started slow for me. Character development lacked until the mid chapters. And the overall story ends. Pandemonium closes nothing. I did like the stories after about the 3 story. Just upset the ending kind of sucked, just as I was really getting Into the story. 7.2/10