main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The JC Lit Reviews Special: SURVIVOR'S QUEST (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 40 reviews: 320.2/40 = 8.24

2. Gross-admiral_Thrawn

Gross-admiral_Thrawn Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 12, 2003
    9 out of 10.
    Surely not Zahn at his best, but still Zahn... this time more imperialish then ever, he handled his characters right.
    Mara and Luke are convincing enough. Especially Mara. It was a pleasure to see Zahn give her the "Empire nostalgia", since Mara's an overall Imperial-minded person and their marriage with Luke is essentially an alliance between an imperial and a rebel. What I loved the most - is that Luke would willingly come to EotH after Mara... he's still a boy, man :D
    As for Thrawn's possible comeback... come on, have fun! He was never killed; smart people don't die because of a stupid misfortune. Empire of the Hand, Fel and the stormtroopers were good. Jinzler was a bit annoying, his story was moot. But in any case, once the story gets to L&M coming onboard the "Outbound", all things are in place and it kicks.

Eagerly awaiting for Zahn's (supposed) last book about Thrawn and the Outbound...

3. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 41 reviews: 338.7/41 = 8.26

4. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    I liked the 501st. Though I don't recall having heard of Chak Fel before, the scenes with him and Aurek-Seven were probably my favorite in the book. One thing that bugged me -- maybe the Empire of the Hand has developed new Stormtrooper armor, but I found it hard to swallow that while in the movies it takes one glancing shot to down a stormtrooper, here you've got a stormie under a sustained (albeit weakened) barrage from large numbers of enemies for quite a while at a time, and walking away from it.

Mastadge, this is a very, very, VERY good point. Too be honest, I never picked up on this, and once I read your intelligent insight, it has proven to be a major flub.

5. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Luke is essentially an alliance between an imperial and a rebel. What I loved the most - is that Luke would willingly come to EotH after Mara..

You loved that? I thougt it was insanely ridiculous.

That's LEUke you're talking about. The addled EU pod person of the guy we see in the movies. The one with no guts and no brains.

The real Luke Skywalker is dead. He would never follow a dirtbag like Mara anywhere. That's why the EU is a parallel universe. More like a mirror universe. Where everything is backwards and crazy.

6. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Luke is essentially an alliance between an imperial and a rebel. What I loved the most - is that Luke would willingly come to EotH after Mara..

Ah yes, the scene where Zahn finished the job he began years ago: the complete and total annihilation of Luke Skywalker.

I guess it just wasn't enough for him to insult, degrade, and try to one-up Luke's father for the benefit of Thrawn.

7. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    THE GOOD

Timothy Zahn, one of the most loved Star Wars expanded universe authors, makes a welcome return to the GFFA with 'Survivor's Quest'. I believe that this novel can be viewed as a loose 'third chapter' to the "Hand of Thrawn" duology. However, this novel will actually help form the eventual "Tim Zahn Star Wars Septology" (Thrawn Trilogy, Hand of Thrawn Duology, Survivor's Quest, and the Outbound Flight novel due to be released in 2005), which will be a very interesting read once re-read in chronological order. What I enjoyed most about this novel was that is sticks true with the feel of Zahn's previous Star Wars novels, beginning for example, with the opening on a Star Destroyer, which follows the stylistic theme of the original trilogy of movies. I loved the storytelling approach that Tim Zahn uses for about 3/4's of the book, which is eerily similar to an Agatha Christie murder mystery feel. Most of the story is concerning unravelling the past mysteries of the Outbound Flight Project, whilst also propelling forth new enigma's for the protagonists to deal with.

I thought it was fantastic for Del Rey to provide pictures of what the Outbound Flight looked like. Nice little touches like this help the perception of the reader. I also liked the many nods to continuity, and the many prequel references, such as Neimoidians, droideka's, droid armies and the Trade Federation.

I enjoyed reading the ever developing relationship and bond between Luke Skywalker and his new wife, Mara Jade. This is one of the first times we see them act as a married couple chronologically, after their wedding in the comic series "Union". I loved how Tim Zahn continued the "I Love You" phrase from "Vision of the Future" that Mara and Luke use to trigger them to come out of Force Meditation / Healing Trace. It was also interesting and intriguing to read Luke question himself about the old Jedi traditions of marriage, and how it will affect his new Jedi Order. I also enjoyed reading more about the Chiss and their culture. There are some notable differences in the Chiss hierarchy as described in this book, and the Force Heretic trilogy, however, it will be interesting to see how this plays out... are the Chiss just really deceptive and secretive about their society, or does internal politics run rife, and the number of ruling familles in flux? For example, in this novel, there are 9 ruling families, yet in the Force Heretic trilogy, there are only 4.

As Scott mentions, it was great to see Tim Zahn's tip of the hat to real life Star Wars fandom, with the inclusion of the 501st Stormtrooper regiment. It was also great to see some foreshadowing to the future chronological storyline - the New Jedi Order, with the quip from Luke "Leia knows not to call us unless their is an invasion coming"! Tim Zahn also introduces some new characters and races in the Zahnverse, with the Vagaari. Great evolving and revealing storyline about them is weaved throughout the entire book. One of the most interesting cultures to come about in a while. I also agree with Scott, where he muses about the future possible storylines that could feature Evlyn, and the other potential Jedi amongst the remnants of the Outbound Flight colonists. I really hope that this storyline is picked up again, as it is very interesting, and could bring forth a new viewpoint on the Jedi.

Lastly, the novel concludes with the characters musing of the possibility of Thrawn, or a clone of him being alive. Wow! Potential storyline for Troy Denning's post NJO trilogy. After all, he has said that an old villain will resurface in his trilogy!

THE BAD

I have to agree with my fellow reviewer, Scott Chitwood, when he brings up the point of point! There are many other 'Zahnisms' in the novel which appear in his other books, and they can get a little tedious, such as using the word 'dryly', and touché. However, I guess this just adds into the whole that gives Tim Zahn his unique feel.

Zahn set up early on the humour that Booster paid for the red paint of

8. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 42 reviews: 347.45/42 = 8.27

9. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Almost finished reading this, and it doesn't impress me. A full first half the book is pure conversation with no action, and that's suppsoed to excite you into horny overdrive? Even when the Geroon treachery is revealed---like you couldn't see that coming, okay, maybe only I did---it was pure overkill. You get the distinct impression he writes the Jedi as less powerful, especially in light of how antiquated the Vagaarian weaponry were

I find it hard that people would really suggest or hope these Vagaari foes could be a serious threat to modern technological planets.

10. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Not a great book, I agree with you, but:

"pure conversation with no action"

Erm . . . conversation is an action, Your Excellency.

11. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    I absolutely agree, as the thriling Second Sons Trilogy was. All talk and no physical action, yet it had suspense and drama like I've never read before.

I'll give Survivor's Quest a 5 / 10 I'll formally review it tomorrow if I have time. It's not Dark Rendezvous to laugh at, and I'm not an anti-Zahner in any way; but I question its storyline and very bland nature of interest.

And please, I haven't been Genghised, but SQ was a brillaint display of Jedi denseness and deliberate powering down. I'll explain that later.

Tally me up, Mas! [face_batting]

12. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 43 reviews: 352.45/43 = 8.20

13. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Proving once again why Del Rey is winning the war for pulp fiction litter, Survivor's Quest is a stunning performance of outstanding mediocrity.

Commencing with the typical Impstar opening for no reason other than to parallel decade's old movies, neither Karrde or Terrik appear anywhere else in the novel. Was it fun to see them? What nostalgic smile did it splash on your face?

Matters degrade further with the Mara cantina. Always a "cantina" setting, like every book for untold years. It does nothing other than to showcase Mara's personality, combat skills and Skywalker-Jade affirmation for readers who very well know who and what she is. Mature readers starved for seasoned stories will ask what point showcasing Mara was. Seasoned readers will instantly spot that what happens in the beginning of a book often comes "full circle" at the end. Dark Tide did this too. It therefore came as no surprise the droideka came back in the end.

It won't take till midbook before you realise two key frogs in the ointments: 1, why is this book so boring, and 2, it's simply not interesting. Two thirds of the book is actionless chapter after chapter, heavily conjectural and conversational. You persevere because money was spent---double and a half, if you're hardcover hungry and fool enough---and Exchange work is a one-way deal. You hope the mystery pays off before Kang comes collecting. But it doesn't.

It just doesn't, as Sauron's Mouth would accent better. Suddenly you have a third of the book left, and the intrigue is forgotten in a sudden blaze of silly action scenes as Zahn suddenly unleashes the feeble wizards on aliens whose written format perfectly matches the Mrachani from the Conquerors' trilogy.

Now, this works two ways. For those Ugnaughts who wants to see Jedi sabering the pizza without that irritating holding-me-back-aggression-philosophy, dig in, boys. The Skywalkers demolish them without thinking I'm too aggressive, brute over brawn. On a Worrt's other leg, it doesn't look good. They're gunning for you, but in a Jedi moralist viewpoint, you need to have some self thoughts if there's another way other than sabered Geroons. None were shown, and while it's ultimately debatable, you can't see Jedi so mindlessly combatant. But as I said, if you're frustrated with all the Clone War / NJO dithering philosophy, this is a rare exception.

Oh, Zahn tries that intrigue on you, he tries. But after the action fades you never return to the intrigue and the tedious explanations owed. You find out why the Chiss withheld the feeble wizards from showing feebwiz displays, and what Chak and the boys were doing with that piece of equipment, but if those revelations dazzled you then buy me a Republic backlog and we'll call it even.

Did you really see Outbound Flight? What were you expecting, this magical fantasy land of revelations and exotic maiden-infested castles? Outbound Flight is a spaceship. Spaceships have small rooms and passageways and compartments. Space is limited on a Dreadnought. Was seeing Dreadnought corridors horny? Cargo bays exciting? What difference did it make if fight scenes were shipboard or planetside, you got little visual description.

You did not see the actual Outbound Flight habitation levels. All the survivors and colonists, what harsh environment they had to adapt to. What you saw was ship corridors, fellas, that's what you saw. [face_dancing]

Known for turning ordinary mundane events into tense exciting paragraphs (Thrawn/Conquerors' trilogies, Icarus Hunt), Zahn failed to excite at all. In the first half, when excitement was sparser than genuine Dalek fear, you have these ridiculous action "moments" he tries to make exciting. The rush of having a cable swing at Luke. All that monkey-climbing Mara did to get to the ceiling. Pah, might as well kiss Gregor Clegane.

Why Mara shows pro-Imperial feelings now after all this time is never answered. Relevancy aside, it's the premise for the book, whose authenticity was paucity at it's best. You damn well know Dooky won't go with Yoda in

14. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    That's the funniest book review I've read in a while.

15. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    I designed it so, thanks. That way, those illegal detractors can't say I ranted, blithe as they [face_whistling] try to be.

16. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    You forgot to score it Ex. ;)

17. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    [face_laugh] You need to write more book reviews Excellence.

18. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    Proving once again why Del Rey is winning the war for pulp fiction litter, Survivor's Quest is a stunning performance of outstanding mediocrity.

Pulp Fiction pwned. :p

Commencing with the typical Impstar opening for no reason other than to parallel decade's old movies, neither Karrde or Terrik appear anywhere else in the novel. Was it fun to see them? What nostalgic smile did it splash on your face?

[face_shame_on_you] That was quite important to the book. Jinzler was one of Karrde?s people and it set him up.

Matters degrade further with the Mara cantina. Always a "cantina" setting, like every book for untold years. It does nothing other than to showcase Mara's personality, combat skills and Skywalker-Jade affirmation for readers who very well know who and what she is. Mature readers starved for seasoned stories will ask what point showcasing Mara was. Seasoned readers will instantly spot that what happens in the beginning of a book often comes "full circle" at the end. Dark Tide did this too. It therefore came as no surprise the droideka came back in the end.

Cantinas = fun. :p

It won't take till midbook before you realise two key frogs in the ointments: 1, why is this book so boring, and 2, it's simply not interesting. Two thirds of the book is actionless chapter after chapter, heavily conjectural and conversational. You persevere because money was spent---double and a half, if you're hardcover hungry and fool enough---and Exchange work is a one-way deal. You hope the mystery pays off before Kang comes collecting. But it doesn't.

I waited for PB. I got the cool e-book Fool?s Bargain. :D

It just doesn't, as Sauron's Mouth would accent better. Suddenly you have a third of the book left, and the intrigue is forgotten in a sudden blaze of silly action scenes as Zahn suddenly unleashes the feeble wizards on aliens whose written format perfectly matches the Mrachani from the Conquerors' trilogy.

:eek: A plot over the head of Excellence?!?!? What has this world come to? ;)

Now, this works two ways. For those Ugnaughts who wants to see Jedi sabering the pizza without that irritating holding-me-back-aggression-philosophy, dig in, boys. The Skywalkers demolish them without thinking I'm too aggressive, brute over brawn. On a Worrt's other leg, it doesn't look good. They're gunning for you, but in a Jedi moralist viewpoint, you need to have some self thoughts if there's another way other than sabered Geroons. None were shown, and while it's ultimately debatable, you can't see Jedi so mindlessly combatant. But as I said, if you're frustrated with all the Clone War / NJO dithering philosophy, this is a rare exception.

o_O Ex, did you skip the parts where Luke was sparing wolvkils?

Oh, Zahn tries that intrigue on you, he tries. But after the action fades you never return to the intrigue and the tedious explanations owed. You find out why the Chiss withheld the feeble wizards from showing feebwiz displays, and what Chak and the boys were doing with that piece of equipment, but if those revelations dazzled you then buy me a Republic backlog and we'll call it even.

And I thought you were tired of the mindless fighting of the Clone Wars and NJO. Silly me. 8-}

Did you really see Outbound Flight? What were you expecting, this magical fantasy land of revelations and exotic maiden-infested castles? Outbound Flight is a spaceship. Spaceships have small rooms and passageways and compartments. Space is limited on a Dreadnought. Was seeing Dreadnought corridors horny? Cargo bays exciting? What difference did it make if fight scenes were shipboard or planetside, you got little visual description.

o_O Ex did you read the book or just skim it? :p

You did not see the actual Outbound Flight habitation levels. All the survivors and colonists, what harsh environment they had to adapt to. What you saw was ship corridors, fellas, that's what you saw.

I?m sure we?ll be sick of the habitation levels by the end of Outbound Flight.

[

19. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Is Titan large enough to drop on you, Rogue Wookie? They just sent a probe to that moon, so I'm loathe to waste a few hundred mill, you know? My score has already been Mastadged tallied in a prior post on this page, and stop changing your heads. I'm gettin' dizzy. You're like that lady from Return to Oz. [face_mischief]

I'm only replying to one of your points, RW, the one that mattered, when you said we need to see feebwizs throw droids around and Force-short-circuit in a movie, for them to be allowed to do so in a book . . . i don't understand what Bith burp made you think that. =D=

20. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    when you said we need to see feebwizs throw droids around and Force-short-circuit in a movie, for them to be allowed to do so in a book

I never said that. I said Zahn was just following what the movies started. The books don't need to follow the movies like this. But it's nice when they do. Makes for less continuity headaches you know.

And you know you got pwned. ;) :p

Now watch Ex come back with a vengeance and pwn me. [face_worried]

21. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    No, you said Do we ever see this is in the movies? No. Despite all the Jedi and droids on Geonosis not once do we see a Jedi short circuit any droid or throw a droideka around. I don't see Zahn's name mentioned, do you? ;)

22. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    Like it or not Zahn is just following the movies here. In TPM Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan run from droidekas like dogs with their tails between their legs.

;) Excellence = pwned. :p

23. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    So/Was it your opinion, then, that Zahn was just following the movie trend? And why follow actors with programed movements, when your own books are freer to smile and smirk whenever you want?

24. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    For 2 reasons.

A. G-canon greater than C-canon

B. If 2 very powerful Jedi like Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan run from the droidekas I don't want EU Jedi to casually swat them aside.

Aren't you going to reply to any of my other points? ;)

25. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    I don't know what C- and G-canon means, but sounds like evasive maneuvres to me. Flightseat ejected, magcon field activated.

Again I ask, what does two actors in a movie have anything to do with your own book?

Yes, someone in a sacred movie ran from droids so my character should do likewise, 'cause it's A-class canon and my lord Star Wars demands it, your eminence. [face_batting]

If they run away from droidekas, why should your own people follow suit like sheep? If Kenobi jumped off the harbour bridge, then yours too should? I'm hearing Zaalbar rahrr-rormfing again.

Meh, I don't fancy your other points. They don't hold up too well, at all, actually. Ha ha hah, the excitement of the actual Outbound Flight are the new places you never saw, the Geroon fighting in cramped starship corridors and cargo bays and a cable swing down at Luke! :p

Have your Cathar cat-pawning, RW. Columni see the obvious. [face_dancing]