main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The JC Lit Reviews Special: YODA: DARK RENDEZVOUS (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Nov 19, 2004.

1. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    It's been a while since I read this book, but a few things still stand out to me.

First, I thought that this book gave both Dooku and Ventress great characterization. Asajj I think especially benefited from it.

Second, it was a Padawan book. Yes those have been overdone, but jut like Jedi: Yoda, which was also a Padawan story, this book was able to keep it fresh. Maybe it is the fact that it is a new author, one we haven't seen do the Padawan thing time and again.

Third, it was funny. I like that in a book. All too often Star Wars can slip into melodrama. Throwing in humor is always a good thing.

Fourth, Anakin and Obi-Wan. My biggest complaint really would be that they were pretty randomly thrown in at the end there. Story-wise, I suppose you give Whie a chance to see the man that will kill him, when he thought Ventress would kill him, or something. However, characterization-wise, I liked seeing Obi-Wan cover for Anakin when they get the mission. It sets up the revelation that Obi-Wan knew the entire time in the ROTS novel very nicely.

9/10

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 824.7/92 = 8.96

3. Obilieveinme

Obilieveinme Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    I like these stories better to an extent than the new ones because every padawan in todays stories can do things Clone war Masters couldn't do. It is too superheroish now.

4. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    When I first read this I remember really enjoying it, to the point that I ran out and bought it for some friends as gifts.

So I've been going to give a review for a while, but I wanted to wait until I had a chance to read the book cover to cover again since I was many years removed from my first impression.

And I think I liked it better the second time around. Sean Stewart truly does such an amazing job fleshing out these characters, both know ones like Yoda and new characters like Scout, that I think this book stands the test of time as one of the best Star Wars novels ever.

Yes, it's largely character driven, but to me thats to its credit. It does manage to sneak in a lot of action but those scenes never serve to move the story, the characters do.

Yoda is captured, well.........I can't say perfectly as the old troll has never been portrayed as this caring before, but I think it really suits him. Yoda's compassion really shone through in this book, something which is hit and miss for the old master most of the time(mostly miss really). Its so very nice to see a Yoda that is truly concerned for the members of the Jedi Order, taking the time to show understanding and caring instead of just spouting "Do or do not, there is no try".

Yoda's relationship with Dooku as its presented is an amazing, emotion filled arc that makes me really believe that these characters cared about each other at one time, and perhaps still do care about each other even if being on the opposite sides of the war.

Dooku's simply never been this interesting, past or present, and going into those little details of his history with the Jedi and Yoda was a huge strength in this book. "I'll always catch you when you fall."

"Your new master calls Dooku, ask yourself; which of us loves you better?" Great line, one of many great lines from Yoda in this book.

"Won this job in a raffle I did, think you?"
    "All too wise you have become. Better before it was, when only Yoda was wise!"

Scout and Whie were two brilliant original characters, as were Solis and Fidelis. Stewart touched upon so many things through these characters, from love, to loyalty, to determination, to courage. Probably most importantly was the frienship of both sets of characters, one growing, the other long established. Scout's growing relatiuonship with Whie was very fun, very believable, while Solis clearly formed a close attachment to Fidelis that the other droid might not have been able to comprehend.

The fact that we now know Scout survives Order 66 makes her all the more interesting. She very clearly is a fighter with her biggest strength being her determination. It's nice to see she might still get to live her dream of being a Jedi. I wonder if she'll look up her family at some point, as touched upon in Dark Rendezvous.

Through both Solis and Fidelis we got a great sense of the on again, off again, issue of droid sentience in the Star Wars universe. Also the scene with Fidelis and Yoda looking on each other as ancient beings was truly magical.

Jai Maruk and Maks Leem were both very original Jedi as well. I really enjoyed how Jai could identify his own faults, as could Maks. How they were both willing to give their lives without a second thought. Very heroic.

And still through a very sympahetic portayal of these Jedi we still get a lot of hints about the underlying problems of the Order. Jedi leaving, the public believing that the Jedi had become Palpatine's private enforcers and Obi-Wan and Anakin meeting with the disgruntled Jedi on Arkania.

The conclusion, Yoda and Dooku, was brilliantly played. Yoda made a strong case and Dooku seemed to perhaps be swaying. Either the arrival of Anakin and Obi-Wan was an exuse for Dooku, or he felt freshly betrayed by Yoda. I couldn't tell which, but the ambiguity presented toward the scene was excellent and made me believe that there possibly was still good in him as Yoda seemed to feel.

I think it was simply the best Dooku scene Star Wars has ever offered.

A

5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 834.5/93 = 8.97