main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The JCC Gardening Club

Discussion in 'Community' started by G-FETT, Apr 29, 2016.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I normally wait til Feb or March to do mine. However, I only have a few.

G-FETT likes this.
  2. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    My garden planning has been put on hold for awhile, but it's almost time to get serious about it. The downside is: I won't know until the snow melts and ground thaws how much space I'll have to start with at the new house! So I might keep the bigger plants in containers to start with. I may not have a long enough season to do much for dried beans or pumpkins, but I'll probably try a row of each.

I've found one rosebush in the snow, but it wasn't protected so I'm not sure it'll actually do anything. Adding another will be my goal, starting a whole rose garden. Then maybe an apple tree if I can find a good deal. Most important purchase though will be grape vines. :) Any northerners have recommendations on varieties that do well in cooler climates? I have a perfect location for them (sheltered, south-facing) so I'm going to try to stretch the hardiness.

G-FETT likes this.
  3. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I'm not keen on Roses at all (I generally dislike anything that draws blood) but my dad loved his roses and I'd feel guilty if I didn't take care of them.

I find they are very difficult to weed in summer so thinking of getting some wood or slate chippings to put around them to try and keep the weeds at bay,

Sauntaero likes this.
  4. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I can't be bothered to construct a deer proof garden. I'm so over them. My hubby can't be bothered to shoot and clean one, so it's a few random herbs for me....

5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    2017 growing season is off and running - Have ordered all my seeds and sowed first tray of seeds - Spring (Hispi) Cabbage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That looks too springlike. We've been having snow flurries in my area today. (Nothing sticking so far though).

Chyntuck likes this.
  7. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    Help! My hydrangea's leaves are wilted and brown. Is there any hope for it or is it dead?

Chyntuck likes this.
  8. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

Well this is around the time you have to start getting Summer Brassica's (cabbage, cauliflowers, calabrese etc) going. Getting the seeds growing now means they can all be planted late March and April - They are hardy enough to survive the late throwbacks to Winter that can occur in April - And they'll be ready to eat in June. :D

Can you post a pic? Without seeing it it's hard to say if the plant is dead or just "upset". They do need to be kept well watered so if you've had it particularly hot and dry that might be the problem? It's possible you could revive it by watering and mulching.

Here's a few ideas;

http://www.hyanniscountrygarden.com/hydrangea-flowers-turning-brown/

Chyntuck likes this.
  9. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    My Spring Cabbages, Calabrese and Cauliflowers have germinated nicely over the past week (no sign of leeks yet)

[​IMG]

Meanwhile the White and Purple Sprouting Broccoli. which I started growing in April/May last year is almost ready to start picking;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will probably have first "pick" a week on Sunday.

10. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    White and purple spouting broccoli just picked fresh from the garden and about to eat for Sunday lunch

[​IMG]

11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Looks pretty good!

12. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    I am 100% sure it is dead. :(

Debating planting another hydrangea or planting some of my baby geraniums. I prefer hydrangeas but I have to try really, really hard to kill geraniums.

13. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    JediYvette If you have a lot of hot and dry weather I think your going to struggle with Hydrangea's.

Have just sowed three rows of Buckby Peas from last years seed - Will see how long it takes them to appear - Think last year the first "pea" appeared around two weeks after sowing but it was very cold then.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From birth to death to rebirth - The cycle of life begins again...

Healer_Leona and Chyntuck like this.
  14. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Things going nicely in the garden.

Broad beans (which I planted in November) flowering:

[​IMG]

Summer Brassica's looking well (though I've had to cover them up with net to keep the pigeons off :( )

[​IMG]

Buckby Peas growing nicely (will soon have to put supports in for them)

[​IMG]

Early Potatoes looking well in Greenhouse

[​IMG]

Tomatoes probably around 2-3 weeks from being ready to put into final positions

[​IMG]

15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    If you have tender items outside watch out for frost/cold later this week. It sounds like winter might be back, at least in the Southeast.

Chyntuck and G-FETT like this.
  16. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

Hi Jaj. Yes it is going to be a cold week indeed (for the time of year anyway)

Here's my week ahead forecast;

Chyntuck and Juliet316 like this.
  17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Lawn and Garden is open and ready for business at work! My favorite time of year.

18. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Just emptied all my outside herb pots at my house to plant anew. Love how the chives are already 5 inches. I really wish of all the herbs, the basil would come back.

Chyntuck, Juliet316 and G-FETT like this.
  19. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

I've got quite a bit of mint (that I planted last year) coming back.

Chyntuck and Juliet316 like this.
  20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    We've already got parsley growing on our planters.

21. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000

I'm surprised mine didn't grow again. It had the previous year, but this time, though a very mild winter, that plant just died. :(

Usually I wait till late May/early June and buy starter plants from the local farmer's market. This time I've bought seed packets and will try to grow them myself.

G-FETT likes this.
  22. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    I've got two zucchini plant sprouts this morning!!! :D Now if the sugar snap peas and basil will follow.

G-FETT and Juliet316 like this.
  23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    My mom's vegetable garden is back up and ready for business. The best salads come out of that.

G-FETT, Healer_Leona and Juliet316 like this.
  24. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Sugar snap peas and zuchinni's went outside this morning. We shouldn't get frost anymore. *finger crossed*

My basil plants are 1 inch sprouts, so I'll keep tending them inside, but I did go to one of the Farmer's Markets today. Picked up rosemary, sage, basil (cuz they are are ready for me to make pesto) and mint.

G-FETT likes this.
  25. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    starting n00b gardening, random question to ask here. Does anyone know how to keep caterpillars away, or if there are certain plants that repel them or something? Or certain ones to avoid? I cannot have caterpillars around.