main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The JCC mixtape, Part I (archived - playlist on page 1)

Discussion in 'Community' started by SuperWatto, Sep 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Juliet, I had stopped checking this thread until I saw it was your turn. I may have voted a few times early in the thread, but this was the first time I was pleased at my choices. I am so pleased to see you’ve met my expectations. I’m quite certain I could spend twelve hours in a car with you and not want to smash the radio.

2. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Do I vote for one of the 14 songs that came out when I was a kid and while I have the outmost respect for all of those songs, sometimes on the spectrum of cheesy VS classic they seem to be closer to the former than the latter, or do I vote for one of the best Dr. Who themes?

[​IMG]

PS. My 2nd choice was Phil Collins.
    Cyndi Lauper and Whitney Houston were just below.
    Then Stevie Wonder. Then Joe Cocker.

Emperor Ferus and Juliet316 like this.
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    A lot of these songs formed the basis of my childhood as well.

And I could not, ever ever leave out one of Murry Gold's best Who themes. Just couldn't.

Anecdotes to come later today.

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Definitely the list I would expect from Juliet. It's delightful.

5. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    this is the first mix that i already know every song. well, except the doctor who one.

lauper is an easy winner for me here

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I appreciate the Cyndi Lauper inclusion so I don’t have to have my queer license revoked for not voting for Cher. I’m already on thin ice with the board for not liking “Believe.”

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  7. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Believe heralded the death of pop music.
    Seconded

8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I like Believe, but it does take a certain mood for me to listen it (at least the original version, I now there are some acoustic versions out there), and there definitely better songs in her catalogue (such as Turn Back Time, which I included on here).

9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I can't not vote Lauper. I discovered my bisexuality through her, as I mentioned in my anecdotes.

solojones and Juliet316 like this.
  10. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :_|

11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Because I had to cut it down to 15 (well 16, Rock Around the Clock is on the Spotify playlist as a honorable mention), and thus choices had to be made and these are the choices I ended up making.

I did have a moment's temptation of including a Nickleback song when Ender came back. Maybe next time.

Rogue1-and-a-half and harpua like this.
  12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    If you really want to troll Ender, Coldplay is the way to go.

13. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    Usually I'd vote for Time After Time. But I'm feeling Like A Prayer.

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Okay, it's (probably short) anecdote time. First let me say this: There was no chance in hell (and there's your wrestling reference for this part) that these first two songs were not going to be there. Just, they were always, always going to be there, and even though this list is in no particular order, they were most likely always going to be one/two at the top.

"I've Had The Time Of My Life" - Bill Medley/Jennifer Warnes - Favorite movie of all time (Dirty Dancing), favorite scene of all time with "Nobody puts Baby in a corner and subsequent dance scene with this song, favorite song of all time. Need I say more?

"You're The One That I Want" - Olivia Newton-John/John Travolta - Second favorite movie of all time (Grease), with my favorite song of that movie. I do like Grease2 (and subsequent rewatches make me believe this is mostly down to Michelle Pfeiffer), but nothing will ever hold a candle to the original and this song is invocative of that.

"Up Where We Belong" - Joe Cocker/Jennifer Warnes - I love Joe Cocker's voice and I love this feeling of epic romance in this.

"Time After Time" - Cyndi Lauper - I know a couple of you probably think I put Lauper in here because of her wrestling connection. Nope. I mean as a kid I may have been somewhat aware of her connection with the first WrestleMania, but I found her through her music first and Time after Time is my favorite song of hers.

"I Will Always Love You" - Whitney Houston - The Bodyguard is is one of my favorite movies (sometimes depending on my feelings it'll take third behind Dirty Dancing and Grease). I even lead an applause during the final scenes in the movie when it first came out. This is definitely my favorite song from that. I like Dolly's version of the song, but I love Whitney's better (probably because I heard it first).

"True Colors" - Phil Collins - As much as I love Cyndi, I like this version a bit more over her's. There is just such a soulfulness to every note he sings that touches the soul.

"Like A Prayer" - Madonna - Young me came across the song through the video first. Obviously I didn't understand any of the controversies towards the video until later. Madonna's music was some of what shaped my childhood.

"If I Could Turn Back Time" - Cher - Like I said in a reply to @Ramza this is one of her better, if not her best songs. One that I will listen to time and time and time again. I stumbled onto the song while watching a news piece on the video while hosting a slumber party.

"Right Here Waiting" - Richard Marx - Another one from my childhood. Marx is one of my favorites from that era and this song is one of my favorites from him.

"I Just Called To Say I Love You" - Stevie Wonder - Love Stevie, love the song. Again, my favorite of his. If Aretha's the Queen of Soul, Stevie's one of the Kings, IMO.

"This is Gallifrey: Our Childhood, Our Home" - Murray Gold - The only Doctor Who song I included in this. This and "I am The Doctor (the 11th Doctor's theme) are probably the two Doctor Who songs I will listen to the most often, and This is Gallifrey is my favorite of the two.

"Wind Beneath My Wings" - Bette Midler - Just my favorite song of Bette's. Makes me think of all the people who have helped me in my life.

"Hero" - Mariah Carey - One of those songs I like to listen when I'm feeling low. Certainly one of my favorite Carey songs.

"Miss You Like Crazy" - Natalie Cole - I first recall hearing this on the radio during a family road trip to Kentucky in '88 (and I know it's '88 because we took that trip while the Olympics were taking place). So there are definitely memories brought up when hearing this. Will always love this song. RIP Natalie.

"When You Say Nothing At All" - Ronan Keating - There are at least a couple of well - known country versions of the song out there (and Alison Krauss' is probably the better known of the two), but I prefer Keating's version. Again very soulful and touches the heart.

Honorable Mention:

Rock around the Clock - Bill Haley and the Comets - So once upon a time, I went to link a news item in one of the Senate threads. Or so I thought I linked a news item in one of the Senate threads. Turns out I somehow accidentally put the YouTube link to this song where I had intended to put the news link and did not realize until a) after it was pointed out to me and b) after my edit time had run out. A mod fixed the link for me but damage done. Have never lived it down to this day and I think I would have been hunted down with ptichforks if I hadn't included it in someway.

*sighs* It was so hard to get this down to just 15 (and even then I had to had one honorable mention). There's a ton of stuff from a ton of different genres that didn't end up making it on here. Most of these songs are are my favorites of all time and in the end that's why the list ended up the way it did.

Next time though there will probably be a lot of genres included that didn't end up here (yes, that includes country music and maybe some Nickelback)

15. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    I didn't know Cyndi Lauper was connected to wrestling.

I did know that everything you post in the Random Picture thread is wrestling related

CT-867-5309 and Juliet316 like this.
  16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    You're a gem, Juliet.

17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Not everything.

18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You can arguably attribute the last four decades of wrestling history in the US to Cyndi Lauper and Vince McMahon's ability to capitalize on the connections to MTV and mainstream media that she provided. Kind of a "right popular fan, right time" situation, all spiraling out of Captain Lou Albano appearing in the "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" music video.

19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I personally love being rock rolled.

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999

Ramza likes this.
  21. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    And then you had Captain Lou playing Mario on the "Super Mario Brothers" show, where Cyndi Lauper guest starred looking for Captain Lou playing himself. The best of all possible worlds.

Juliet316 and Ramza like this.
  22. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm also among those who could recognize all the songs before listening, a first in this thread. It was so hard to choose, but I love Dirty Dancing enough to make it impossible not to vote for it.

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    You need not. Guh-gung.

I haven't seen this movie. I think I need to change that.

I was always more of a I Have Nothing guy, though. Don't make me close one more door.

Yeah, The Goonies r Good Enough video was super confusing until my older brother explained this to me.

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Jules, if you’ve got the cheek to put up a tune from Grease, then I’ve got the nerve to vote for it.

25. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Nothing against Grease, but at one club's regular 80s night they would always play "The Grease Mega-mix" which I immediately left the dance floor over. Because that's from the 70s.
    ... I'm also a big hypocrite, because they would always play the "Time Warp" late in the evening, and I'd always dance to that. :p

Juliet316 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.