main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The JCC mixtape, Part I (archived - playlist on page 1)

Discussion in 'Community' started by SuperWatto, Sep 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I love Funk. I love old school rap. I loved Words and Music from Da Lowlands.

SuperWatto likes this.
  2. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Just listened to Sleepless. I don't think that any other song could beat it, but I'll listen to everything before I choose.

SuperWatto and soitscometothis like this.
  3. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Dang, you know a playlist is amazing when 7 different songs get multiple votes.

4. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I assume @vin just voted because of the pun.

5. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    LOL - that is certainly NOT what she said.

SuperWatto likes this.
  6. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    @SuperWatto Great write-up for all your tracks.

I picked Budapest by Blimp. It was my preliminary pick, but I think it's still my choice now, even though I find several of the other tracks growing on me. I know Thomas Dolby from the amazing Hyperactive, but never owned any of his albums. Back then I was lazy and used to get the Now compilations and make tapes from the radio. I also remember the first personal stereo that I chose for myself, with the super-advanced features like 3 band graphic equaliser and auto-reverse! The last mid-price personal stereo that I bought I dropped on the floor a few days later, and from then on it would only play tapes backwards. I immediately moved onto an expensive Panasonic with a full metal body and 'remote control'.

The Frog Princess is so dark, I love it. I've heard a few tracks from The Divine Comedy (National Express) was a pretty big hit. Did you know Neil Hannon did the vocals for the Vote Beeblebrox Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie promo video? You probably did, but it's still cool. And I would have voted Beeblebrox over BoJo any day of the week.

The Whole of the Moon, Lonely Planet, and Fergus Sings the Blues I recognised and I considered going for one of these early on. I liked the Yes track, too - I only really know them from Owner of a Lonely Heart, but I like their sound. I really like the Soulwax track, too, and I don't think I'd heard of them before, but yeah, great track.

Nice selection of artists I knew and groups I was unfamiliar with in your playlist.

7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Yeah, recording songs on cassette tapes from the radio was something I did back in the day, too.

And I don't see any shame in getting collection albums either - back in the pre-Internet days, this seemed the best way to find songs similar to ones you already liked.

8. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I didn't! Cool.

There was a different Divine Comedy song on my draft playlist for a long time, an amazing song with extreme emotion, and another very personal story attached to it. But ultimately it didn't fit the theme. I'm holding out for a round two.

9. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Plumped for Cancao do mar. Never heard it before, and it’s just a thing of beauty. Was torn between this and The The. Originally had one of their songs on my playlist - Love is stronger than death, so yeah, big fan of The The.

BookExogorth and soitscometothis like this.
  10. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I was wrong.
    My weakness... just give me a Portuguese or Spanish woman singing a song about a tormented heart and I will melt like a bloc of wax.

[​IMG]

After I watched Mulholland Drive my brain erased virtually everything about that movie, and now I couldn't come up with the plot. But the song of the last scene still remains in my head.

So, it's Dulce Pontes for me.

Darth Punk and SuperWatto like this.
  11. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Cancao do Mar is a fitting choice. The song of the sea.

[​IMG]

Juliet316, Point Given and 3sm1r like this.
  12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I have spent the most time with this set. While I was unfamiliar with about half, to be sincere, I held biases against some of the other. But I trusted that they would not have been chosen if there was not value there that I possibly never picked up on before. And those artists and songs I rather groaned at when I saw the list have absolutely proven their value in the context of this set. So my mind was changed a bit due to this.

My vote is going for Cancao do Mar.

soitscometothis and SuperWatto like this.
  13. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Wait.
    747 is also a fitting choice.

The Dutch 747s are retiring today. Plane spotters have been advised to stay home because of the 'rona, because they all wanted to see the last 747 land on Amsterdam airport.

747s are being retired all over the world; the last ones flying are expected to be German ones, and Air Force One.

[​IMG]

^ Good album (though Obi_Anne hates it)

Rylo Ken likes this.
  14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    watto's song:

[​IMG]

next up is @Healer_Leona - her playlist link is in the original post, and poll will be open momentarily, for 48 hours

15. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    This list is not 15 Elbow songs. It's a sham #Boycott

Healer_Leona likes this.
  16. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Nothing exciting, you probably know all if not most of the songs and don't even have to listen to them, but I hope you do.

I created a playlist of songs over the last couple years, hand written on a piece of paper that looks like it's been through a fire. This is a partial of it and they are the songs I wanted played at my funeral before deciding I didn't want one. :p

1) Are You Experienced - Jimi Hendrix I spent so much time in my early teens listening to this album/song in my bedroom with only a black light on my velvety, psychedelic posters. Later teen included incense burning and my parents didn't have a clue. aL

2) Sex Dwarf - Soft Cell TMI I know, but thanks to this song my ex found his nickname for me. This song is the epitome of my life in the early 80's watching Much Music on tv and obsessing over Adam Ant who 'The Big One' by my ex and was my celebrity crush.

3) That's the Way of the World - Earth, Wind & Fire This tune is just a meditation for me. I listen to it quite a bit when I'm feeling anxious or sad. It can easily make me cry for all the right reasons and I always feel better afterward.

4) Nothing but a G thang - Dr. Dre & Snoop Dog -- My son's teen years and this blasting out of his room. Watching Yo! MTV Raps. I admit I wouldn't know rap if not for my son, at least the old school stuff. Time moves on... where did my little boy go?

5) Mr. Blue Sky - Electric Light Orchestra Loved ELO all my life and got to see them in the 70's . This song is the best and is my daughter and I's song and we often wind up calling each other any time we hear it. We were thrilled when it was announced to be in GotG2 and yes, we were bouncing in our seats and singing to it when we saw the movie. If I could wish one concert to go to with her it would be ELO.

6) Overture/Going thru the Motions - Buffy the Vampire Slayer My all time favorite series, it's musical episode, Once More With Feeling, being just damn perfect. I remember the preview for it and thinking how it might be very bad. Turned out to be just spectacular and loved how the songs they each sang and how it was so perfect in character and how easily it furthered the story. I remember the following week I got my first ever speeding ticket rushing home to watch the next episode, Tabula Rasa, also one of my favorites.

7) White Knuckles - OKGo I adore this band having found them via youtube with their fun video for Here It Goes Again like everyone else. I'd checked out their catalog as they were opening for The Fray when I went to see them and they outplayed/performed the Fray so badly with their high energy set. I've now seen them more than any other band once hitting them 3 times in six months. I think I may have squealed in the theater when this song played at the beginning of the horror movie, Cabin in the Woods. lol

8) Dandelion - Audioslave Chris Cornell's death will never not hurt. To listen to this man's exquisite voice, feel it rumble in my chest and remember he's gone all too soon is hell chasing heaven for me every damn time. He's done so many amazing songs, with amazing groups, why this one? I have a thing for dandelions as well as his voice and like to think this one's just for me.

9) She's My Ride Home - Blue October A very underrated band and I love how open Justin Furstenfeld is about his struggles with mental illness & addiction. The group was gifted by my daughter (via Twilight because the author would listen to them lol) who said whenever she hears their song Overweight, she thinks of me. What, I thought 'you calling me fat?' before I heard the words lol. It wound up opening up many conversations about her father's and I failing relationship at the time. Amazing what your kids pick up on even when you try to keep them out of it, or so I thought. Found out he was talking with them about how everything I was feeling was wrong...

10) Bones of You - Elbow Gods, this band is just amazing. The album this song comes from, Seldom Seen Kid, is one of my top 3 albums ever. It was hard to choose one song, so damn many great songs on it. Though this one has such marvelous lyrics and imagery. Unbeknownst to me, the daughter sent away for the DVD of them doing the entire album live on The Seldom Seen Kid Live At Abbey Road and it is just sublime. One of my fave birthday gifts and I watch it often.

11) Crazy Sufferin Style - Selah Sue Found her on a duo with Cee Lo and was just struck by her voice. Wound up getting all her music and the next day discovered she was the opening act for a band coming to town the following week. She did just an acoustic set and blew me away with a guitar and her voice.

12) Grounds For Divorce - Elbow ok another off the Seldom Seen Kid album. A couple friends link me to the ad for Left 4 Dead as this song was used in an ad when they saw I was a fan. I owe the biggest thanks to Raggedy Android for introducing me to this group. <3 When I went to Chocago to see them this song did get the biggest round of applause with the first couple notes.

13) Det du tänker idag är du i morgon - Dungen Discovered this Swedish group when they opened for Fleet Foxes and fell in love with their psychedelic sound. While the chosen song is one of their instrumentals, they mostly sing and though I can't understand a word, it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of their music.

14) Grace - Jeff Buckley Another wonderful singer gone too soon and one of my top 10 songs. You can applaud his cover of Cohen's Hallelujah all you want, for me his best song is Grace. Just such a powerful and full of emotion song that's just impossible not to feel.

15) The Prophet Song - Queen Added to round off to 15. Queen was the second concert I'd ever seen (and third the following year) the first being the Osmond Brothers. lol Endlessly obsessed with this album I would haul my stereo out to the front porch to listen during the summer and still get to hear my dad yelling to turn it down. lol Some of my best memories are driving thru the Scotland HIghlands listening to Queen thanks to a pair of sisters on the fanfic boards.

17. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    i think it looks great. the 3 or 4 that i am familiar with are really good songs.

had to resist the impulse vote for "mr. blue sky" after posting the poll, as I too have loved ELO since whatever the young age was that I started appreciating music. :p

Healer_Leona and BookExogorth like this.
  18. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Thanks everyone for making me feel like a boring tool by picking eclectic deep cuts :_|

heels1785 and soitscometothis like this.
  19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah it's real hard to not just vote for Mr. Blue Sky.... But as always I will listen!

heels1785 likes this.
  20. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    I might get the chance to relisten and then change my vote, but festival was just such a fun song to listen to that I'm going with that for now :)

heels1785 and Healer_Leona like this.
  21. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Don't worry, I'm coming next with fifteen remixes of Macarena.

Rylo Ken, Juliet316, Ramza and 4 others like this.
  22. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I'd had two lists going, one more deep cut, but chose the one I had better ancedotes to than just "I really like this song".

blackmyron and SuperWatto like this.
  23. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Finally have time to listen and... wait, they added The Chronic to Spotify at long last? **** me, this is going to force a difficult voting decision.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Darth Punk likes this.
  24. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    great playlist. couldn't not vote for dungen, amazing band to see live if you ever have a chance.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  25. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    That's exactly the song I missed because there was loud vacuuming going on.
    Otherwise, great playlist, will listen again before I make up my mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.