main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The JCC mixtape, Part I (archived - playlist on page 1)

Discussion in 'Community' started by SuperWatto, Sep 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Same with Zager & Evans, of course.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    phil ochs for me. favorite professor in college used to play his music in class, introduced me to the wonderful world of vietnam protest music.

Pensivia likes this.
  3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I voted for Evangelion in the vain hopes y’all think it would be funny to follow suit and eventually all the 12-min-long prog-jazz masturpieces in the final playlist are interrupted by a cheery J-pop anime intro. I would start a demented Wocky-style PM campaign but I guess I’m too ADHD for anything like that.

Also I’m legally obligated to vote for anything Evangelion (Anno v. Schwarz, 1995)

siha, Ramza and soitscometothis like this.
  4. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    It's crazy how good that show is.

5. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    This one is going to take some time for me. The only tracks I knew were Poison and In The Year 2525, but I'm liking a number of the others. I associate the Evangelion theme with Gundam Wing, though I know I've seen most of Evangelion. Anyway, still catchy.

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  6. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I went with the moody blues

Phil Ochs was a close second

3sm1r likes this.
  7. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I think it's between The Ballad of Tommy Foster and Tragic Kingdom for me. I like most of the tracks on this one.

8. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Finally got the chance to listen through, and I'm sorry that I missed harpua's list. This is probably the list that I feel is closest to my own playlist, despite only recognize very few songs and acts. I don't watch anime, but I still went for Evangelion. I guess it's similar enough to some of the more fun and upbeat ESC songs that I like, and just like JTS I really think the overall playlist needs some fun and upbeat songs.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  9. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Saw Poison on the list and figured it would be what I picked at it was - but enjoyed this playlist quite a bit. Really enjoyed Harp's as well but didn't get a vote in for that one....still not sure what I would have picked.

10. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    While I was familiar with the song as a kid, I'll admit that I voted for "In The Year 2525" because of Futurama.

11. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Since it looks like In The Year 2525 will win I'll give the Moody Blues more love.

Rylo Ken and Lowbacca_1977 like this.
  12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    last call for votes on lowie's playlist - poll closes in about 2.5 hrs.

we'll roll out @siha's playlist and poll shortly after.

Healer_Leona and SuperWatto like this.
  13. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    heels1785 and soitscometothis like this.
  14. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    can’t bring myself to do it, I dunno, something about no doubt I could never get into. I’ve gone Alice Cooper, and not just because of the video

15. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    You gotta go with what you like.

epic likes this.
  16. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The Playlist needs In the Year 2525 - and it probably won't be the worst song in the playlist.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  17. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    When we get through everyone can we do a second chance round where all the participants get to pick a song from any list and have them compete against each other?

18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    lowbacca's song:

[​IMG]

next up is siha! playlist link is in the OP, poll going up in a moment for 72 hours - will close on wednesday evening.

on deck is @BookExogorth, if you can send me your playlist at your convenience.

Rylo Ken, Ramza and SuperWatto like this.
  19. siha

siha Jedi Master star 2

Feb 28, 2013
    I sent this list to some friends when I first made it to get their input and a star war’s reaction was “QUEENS!” So that’s what I’m calling it. There were originally some male led songs in the playlist, but I would have been disappointed if one of them won so I got rid of them.

Bad Girls - M.I.A.

An absolute banger, my favorite M.I.A. song for sure and maybe my favorite song overall. I highly recommend the music video as well. David was going to put this song in his playlist, but he was nice enough to let me have it.

A Palé - ROSALÍA

I heard the intro to this song repeatedly browsing Netflix and I liked it show much I watched the trailer for that Warrior Nun show more times than I’d readily admit to. Anyway, it’s a great song and she has an amazing voice.

Bourgeois Shangri-La - Miss Li

This song reminds me of the time David and I went hiking in the mountains of southwest Asia. We stayed in a hostel for a few days, but tensions in the area and the disappearance of some other hikers a bit to the south made us cut our trip short. Also makes me think of Far Cry 4.

Cherry Bomb - The Runaways

My favorite of the Ch-Ch-Ch songs.

I Love It - Icona Pop (feat. Charli XCX)

I had this song on a CD of upbeat music I used to play all the time in my car. One time my brother (very FL Man, listens to old country music typically) was riding somewhere with me and this song came on and he yelled “THIS IS MY JAM!” and sang along with the whole song.

Comme Des Garçons (Like the Boys) - Rina Sawayama

Wooooo.

Also, love the “I’m so confident” self-affirmation bit.

Bitch Better Have My Money - Rihanna

Similar to the above, had this song on a car playlist and my grandmother was riding somewhere with me. This song came on and my grandmother read the title out loud. I offered to change the song and she said “no, I like it.” Me too, granny.

I Follow Rivers - Lykke Li

Is she related to Miss Li? Are they the same person? Anyway here’s I Follow Rivers.

Green Light - Lorde

I was riding around listening to my driving pop playlist with my cats and this song came on. Imagine my surprise when Tooka jumped onto the passenger seat and started meowing along to this song. Crazy how human cats can be sometimes.

Scuse Me - Lizzo

The titular queen.

Gimme More - Britney Spears

It’s Britney, bitch.

That’s Not My Name - The Ting Tings

They call me hell, they call me David’s wife, they call me her, they call me Chatty. That’s not my name.

20. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    super fun list, cathy.

siha likes this.
  21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    If it weren't for "That's Not My Name" being a recurring bit on Botchamania I don't think I would have heard any of these songs before, so this should be fun.

A hypothetical round two needs way weirder and harder to vote for rules, like: up to 10 tracks, but all by the same artist. So the people participating are forcing a certain selection of musicians, but with potential variation for the actual entry. This would "solve" the Queen problem by making it a ****ing nightmare. :p

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Darth_Duck likes this.
  22. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Great Monday morning wake up music.

siha likes this.
  23. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    "Bourgeois Shangri-La" speaks perfectly, lyrically and aesthetically, to a very particular experience - that of every Boulder, Colorado bar your coworkers from California insist on. It is the sonic encapsulation of being stuck in a wood-paneled hell too pretentious to have an official name, with nothing but craft IPAs on tap and foods that are artsy recreations of street fare, poutine made with peach chutneys, these sorts of nightmares. Why the **** is every song playing over the speakers a cover of The Pixies but never anything actually performed by The Pixies? What the hell is baked arugula?

In conclusion, I voted for it. :p

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    siha likes this.
  24. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    So I just sign up for a Spotify and make a Playlist to join in this? Is that it?

25. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I am 100% ready to do that for Alice Cooper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.