main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Amph The JCC mixtape, Part II (now complete!) - full playlist link in OP

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , May 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    big iron takes me back to my first playthrough of fallout new vegas, and a very good time. may it win and live in eternity on our playlist.

2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Okay, this looks fun, I genuinely love a lot of country music, and I'm gonna listen to it tomorrow, but there are fully twenty George Strait songs I'd pick before I got to Here for a Good Time. Baby Blue very nearly got on my list last time. But he's a class act of a singer, man. Got so many great songs.

Reynar_Tedros and mnjedi like this.
  3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    That was one of my favorite playlists so far in this round. Kudos on it, mnj.

I wanted to find something to vote for other than Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald ... I kept an open mind, I listened to and enjoyed the other songs. But in the end. I just love that song so much, and the FODEUSS tie-in just makes it too much to not vote for it.

mnjedi likes this.
  4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Two year old memes decided my vote well before I even listened.

[​IMG]

5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I heard Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald performed in a restaurant a few weeks back by an Irish expat that looked like Santa Claus in flip-flops, who moved to Toronto, currently living in south Florida, with his MacBook’s camera set up so his friends in Vancouver could watch.

Anyway, that’s the one I voted for. Can’t go wrong with Gordon Lightfoot.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    Darth_Duck, mnjedi and Sarge like this.
  6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Lot of good stuff on this list. The run of The Pilgrim through John Henry is non-stop excellence.

As already mentioned, that's not one of my favorite George Strait songs, though he always gives a good performance. And Rivers in the Desert was coming up super-strong until the singing started and then I was out. But the only one I didn't like at all was One Night in Bangkok and I know it's from a musical, so I guess I'm missing context.

But, yeah, that five song run in the middle there is exceptional. And then Big Iron is right up there as well.

So I went with Meatloaf, which is something I don't think I've ever said before in reference to either the singer or the food item. Some would call that cheese; I call it big emotion and I found the darn thing genuinely moving. "You've been through the fires of Hell/and you've got the ashes to prove it;" that's a genuinely great lyric. The closest competition was John Henry and Big Iron. They're both masterpieces of production really; John Henry more obviously, but Big Iron is just country at its smoothest. And they're both examples of country doing something that country just really does better than any other genre: unspooling a story in pure narrative.

mnjedi likes this.
  7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    @FatBurt - shoot me your playlist link when possible. Thanks!

FatBurt likes this.
  8. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    “The angels had guitars even before they had wings/ if you hold them to a chorus you can get through the night.” Is one of my personal favorites too from Rock and Roll Dreams come through.

Rivers in the Desert has an instrumental version that plays earlier in the the game, which might be more to people’s taste but the lyrics kicking in as the protagonist faces down the guy that basically ruined his whole life is just such a “**** just got real” moment that I felt I had to include it like this.

9. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Yeah, the Meat Loaf song hit me in a way I didn’t expect it to, and it almost got my vote because of it. I’m usually not a sucker for songs with inspirational messages like that, but over the past few months, I’ve had a couple dear loved ones go through life changing health crises, so it hit different. But I couldn’t bring myself to vote against Big Iron.

The George Strait and Alan Jackson tracks aren’t nearly my favorite songs from either artist, but those two are so good that it doesn’t matter. They both dominated my childhood radio play in the 90’s, and I’ll be elaborating on that once my turn rolls around. Really enjoyed this list.

mnjedi likes this.
  10. SteelLepp

SteelLepp Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 1, 1998
    What the heck, add me to the list.

As to MN's playlist, I'm not much of a country guy, but was actually rather enjoying the country vibe the first few songs (my Spotify shuffles them since I'm too cheap to pay...lol) and then The Pretty Reckless comes on and I was just WTH! I've just gotten into listening to TPR and it was a shock next to Alan Jackson, the Highwaymen, etc. Anyway, I did vote for TPR even though I normally would have voted for Meatloaf. But great playlist MN, I actually enjoyed it.

mnjedi and heels1785 like this.
  11. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    For me this was an easy vote for And So It Went but I did really like Rivers In The Desert too. Never played a Persona game (not my type of game) but I've always heard how good the music is. Good stuff.

mnjedi likes this.
  12. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I went with The Pretty Reckless, too (not listened to them before), but the Gordon Lightfoot track gave it some stiff competition.

13. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    It’s kinda weird, but I really don’t like modern mainstream country music, I listen to all my old cds and stuff of course as this playlist can attest, but if I’m driving and listening to the radio these days it’s absolutely a rock station. So I get introduced and then go listen to a bunch of their stuff. TPR is definitely awesome.

14. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Bat Out Of Hell is a genuinely good album.

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    about a half hour to go, and we have a tie at the top. one brave soul needs to break it!

16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Fine, I'll change my vote.

Edit: Nope, poll's closed. Sorry!

heels1785 likes this.
  17. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
  18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

i'll be around for a few hours, and i can't bring myself to abandon big iron on his hip. time for sudden death overtime!

@FatBurt, i'll get your playlist live in an hour or two, if that's okay?

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The world may never know.
    I'm kidding. I changed it to "Big Iron".

20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    the tie is broken! mnjedi:

[​IMG]

as we proceed to give you what you need.. @FatBurt's playlist. link is live, poll will run through 6/26 around 9:15p eastern.

Ramza likes this.
  21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh Burt, those are some good tracks! Going to be hard to chose between "Call Me Al", "Sledgehammer" and "You're my best friend." I love Graceland, that album was on repeat when I was a kid and I still listen to it today. But, I mean, there are better songs on the album. I was always partial to Under African Skies but in Al's defence, it has 100% of the Chevy Chase videos.

soitscometothis likes this.
  22. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    It’s going to be hard not voting for Walk Like An Egyptian. My mom loved that song when I was a kid.

23. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    My vote could go one of several ways but I'm not voting for "You Can Call Me Al" because it made the last playlist. This, I've decided, is my arbitrary personal rule. :p

24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    i have the same rule. also i don't vote for any bowie, as much as i love his music, because he had something like four songs on the first playlist.

Darth_Duck likes this.
  25. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    "Movin' Right Along" is fantastic, just a feel good toe-tapper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.