main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Amph The JCC mixtape, Part II (now complete!) - full playlist link in OP

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , May 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Madness all day and One Step Beyond is a great choice

great opening list, all good songs

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    blackmyron likes this.
  2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    i knew "bette davis eyes" long before i knew who bette davis was.

love that song, my vote goes there.

3. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    It's difficult to not just impulse vote for The Smiths, but I want to give the rest of the playlist a fair shake.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  4. Charmbracelet

Charmbracelet Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 24, 2020
    'Cities in Dust' and 'Pump It Up' are awesome!

Cities in Dust gives me 'anime opening/intro music'. You know those anime intros where the protagonists are doing cool poses while looking sort of melancholy? That's what this song gives me. It's very easy to vibe with.

'Pump It Up' is an up-and-down bop. The instrumentation in the background reminds me of the Albion scenes from Destroy All Humans 2 (the game's version of London) which I used to play when I was a teenager--- I'm sure this was deliberate.

Nothing is stronger than nostalgia, so 'Pump It Up' gets my vote!

5. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    It was between "Pump it Up," "Bette Davis Eyes" and "Cuts You Up." I didn't know "Cuts You Up" and I kinda like it, so it gets my vote.

6. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    It's cool to see the reactions of people who hear this stuff for the first time. It's like reaction videos!

The music @blackmyron selected takes me back further than it takes @blackmyron.

A lot of it is from the time I first became aware of the awesome power of music, 1980-1983.

That's also the time I was into Star Wars. So a lot of the music actually makes me think of The Empire Strikes Back and the lead-up to Return Of The Jedi.
    Songs like I Got You, Don't You Want Me and One Step Beyond remind me of incessantly playing out what I thought the next movie would depict, with my Kenner action figures, while the radio played these songs. All I'm missing is Toto's Rosanna and Steve Miller's Abracadabra. And Survivor's Eye Of The Tiger. But I guess that's too American for @blackmyron's Anglophile theme. So in that case, where are Shakin' Stevens and Adam Ant? Showaddywaddy?

I was quickly done with Star Wars after Return Of The Jedi hit the theaters. The Star Wars chapter closed itself. And then it was just music. First band I was into was Duran Duran, starting with 'The Reflex'. I had their posters on my wall. I bought the hit magazines to see what they were up to this week. Got the back catalogue. And for some reason I always thought 'Is There Something I Should Know' was a Beatles cover, and hearing it again, I still think it could be.

Then Duran Duran hit a brick wall like Star Wars had done, and I moved onto Nik Kershaw and Level 42.

Just listing the acts for your next playlist, @blackmyron. Because it needs attention. It will be the follow-up to a milestone.

DarthIntegral and blackmyron like this.
  7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I grew up in a musical desert. In the pre-Internet Central Florida, if you didn't have cool parents, or a cool older sibling that went to college, you had to rely on radio - which, at the time, was either country, disco, or classic rock. You were never, ever going to hear "One Step Beyond" on radio.
    What changed was when MTV came out. My grandparents were early adopters, and the music they played there was unlike anything they played anywhere else. Adam Ant would certainly be in that category - but this was about the music I danced to, and for whatever reason, Rosanna wasn't much requested by goths.
    I did hear stuff like Toto, Steve Miller and Survivor in the 80s - they called it AOR back then, and 'yacht rock' nowadays.

Healer_Leona and SuperWatto like this.
  8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I have a friend who is obsessed with Morrisey and The Smiths. I have listened to them so many times with her, I associate them wìth each other.

I took her to her first Dead show. The man sitting in front of us gave me an obscene amount of liquid lsd. She was afraid to, so didn't partake. The show was fantastic, but on the way home, she played The Smiths. Kinda (really) a buzz kill.

blackmyron likes this.
  9. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    My dad bought a compilation album back in 1984 which became a favourite tape to play in the car. It was called American Heartbeat and it featured:

Survivor
    Eye Of The Tiger
    Toto Rosanna
    Journey Who's Crying Now
    Blue Oyster Cult Don't Fear The Reaper
    Styx Babe
    REO Speedwagon Take It On The Run
    Wang Chung Dance Hall Days
    Boston More Than A Feeling
    Toto Africa
    Quarterflash Harden My Heart
    REO Speedwagon Keep On Loving You
    Kansas Carry On Wayward Son
    Asia Heat Of The Moment
    Split Enz I Got You
    Survivor American Heartbeat
    Toto Hold The Line

It was the compilation album for my family for many years, so much so that a few years ago when I had a bunch of free mp3 tokens I did my best to recreate the album (Quaterflash's Harden My Heart was the one track I couldn't get). It really was a great example of the popular American music of the time.

10. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Tim Finn shakes his head in disbelief but rest assured I will give him proper due.

harpua and soitscometothis like this.
  11. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Okay, this is really tough. On the one hand I have Panic by The Smiths, a song I hadn't heard but really like.

On the other there's Temptation, a song I used to listen to all the time because it features on the soundtrack of Trainspotting.

I like them both a lot...how do I decide?!

blackmyron likes this.
  12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I was hoping you would just rerun Ceremony after it was visionlessly overlooked last time. But you still kept New Order, at least. Grand playlist.

blackmyron and mnjedi like this.
  13. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I decided to go with Panic simply because catching my attention as a song that's new to me is tough.

14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Same.

PymParticles likes this.
  15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Well now you know how Joan of Arc felt.

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Funny you should mention that...

I've had The Everlove's version of the song from that trailer in frequent rotation for the past 9 years and never knew it was a cover until seeing this thread. Really captures the "our planet is now dead, we're all going to die, might as well fight to the death" tragedy vibes of that trailer.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    Charmbracelet likes this.
  17. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Just so you all know, the song is about the archaeological digs at Pompeii. ;)

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That's close enough that I'll stick with the dying robots going pew-pew.

Rogue1-and-a-half and blackmyron like this.
  19. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I gave it a fair shake, and The Smiths still won. The entire playlist was great, though.

solojones and blackmyron like this.
  20. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    That was just a fun playlist all around. I cam in expecting i'd vote for Bette Davis Eyes, just due to childhood connections, but ended up loving One Step Beyond so much that I had to vote for that. Excellent, excellent playlist.

blackmyron likes this.
  21. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I went with Bette Davis Eyes. I've been going back and forth between it and Cities in Dust, both of which I was familiar with but which I don't own. I Got You I've always loved, but I have it on mp3 and it's a little to familiar. Duran Duran and Elvis Costello were also contenders for me.

blackmyron likes this.
  22. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    about three hours left to listen and vote, if you haven't had a chance. vivec's playlist will go live right around 7p eastern.

23. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I was stuck between 3 songs, I went with Bette Davis Eyes.

soitscometothis likes this.
  24. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Lot of Rod Stewart fans here

25. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Switched to New Order since Madness seemed to be out of the game for this round as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.