main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Amph The JCC mixtape, Part II (now complete!) - full playlist link in OP

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , May 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    But... I could have voted for the Pixies :(

I'll be listening to Zappa tomorrow.

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    You chose wisely.

4. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    No contest. Willie the Pimp. Hot Rats is the ****

heels1785 , Ramza and harpua like this.
  5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Finally, a playlist I can simply recall entirely from memory. :p

But yeah, I also had to go with shouting about pimps over jazz riffs.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    harpua likes this.
  6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Do yourself a favor and listen to the live version on this list... so good

Ramza likes this.
  7. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm still giving the whole playlist a listen or two (not a difficult duty, considering). The live cuts are definitely a nice contrast to the album versions.

harpua likes this.
  8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    It was between Black Napkins and Watermelon in Easter Hay. Wound up going with the former.

This was definitely an interesting list. I think I was drawn to the instrumentals because I love this style of music, but I'm not a huge fan of comedy songs like the ones with lyrics. Still, the actual music itself is awesome.

harpua likes this.
  9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    My vote: '

harpua likes this.
  10. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Then you would really like the Shut Up and Play Your Guitar album.

solojones likes this.
  11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    A few years ago I did a little listening project where I decided to get into Zappa's stuff. At that time, I had heard Peaches en Regalia and Valley Girl. Over the next few months, I listened to 25 of his albums. On anybody else, that would be a deep dive, but that's not even half of the albums Zappa put out in his lifetime and his estate has kept churning out releases since he died, leaving me having listened to well below a quarter of his output. I don't know that there's anyone out there who genuinely loves everything Zappa did; he was just too varied and extreme in his output. I love a substantial amount of the stuff I heard and I hate a fair bit of it too. If you were around back then, you may recall my incredibly angry 0-star review of Uncle Meat, which was one of the first times, I think, that @Ramza wanted to murder me. I feel like I had also just said something dismissive about Giant Bomb, maybe that same day.

Anyway, I did my own Spotify playlist of Zappa songs a while back, twenty-five tracks in honor of the twenty-five albums I heard. Worth mentioning that I came up with almost fifty tracks off the top of my head that were contenders for the playlist and that was before I did any digging to remind myself of stuff I'd forgotten. So, yeah, we've had our bad times (fifteen minutes into that spoken word track on disc two of Uncle Meat was probably the absolute nadir), but safe to call me a big fan overall.

There's some overlap between my list and harpua's. And in fact I chose the exact same track to end with that she did. Watermelon in Easter Hay really is Zappa at his most transcendent. It's pure emotion, true chill-bump music, Zappa at both his most beautiful and his most sincere. It's just the right choice for ending a Zappa playlist. It is, yes, out of all twenty-five albums I heard, my favorite track. It's my pick here. It's my pick for all time.

I recently did a Zappa playlist myself.

harpua, solojones and Ramza like this.
  12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I didn't like Uncle Meat either. I found it on vinyl years ago, and was so excited to listen to it. The album, unfortunately, was crap. lol, even I can't stand some of his stuff. He was an eclectic guy.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I think that was just generally around the time we were “feuding” constantly because you were somehow, quite by accident, reviewing a bunch of my favorite things, all at the same time, and we sometimes have very different tastes. There was a stretch there where it felt like we would go from an argument about Pynchon into an argument about Zappa into an argument about some third thing back into an argument about books forever.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  14. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I remember when I did the jcc top 100 albums, and dizfactor (rip) and Rogue1.5 almost killed each other over the definition of trance... good times.

15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    They absolutely were not. :p I was being a complete ass in that thread for some reason. I was probably still mad about my top 100 Books thread being such a train-wreck.

I feel like we pulled Finnegans Wake into that cycle about every second or third time we went around the horn.

16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I stayed out of it, but I'll now say you were right; Flaming Lips' "Do You Realize?" is not even remotely trance.

17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Lol, no, I was the one saying it was! I was thinking "ambient" every time I said "trance" for some reason. Do You Realize isn't really ambient either, but it's a darn sight closer to that than trance.

Ironically, now one of my favorite songs. Nearly had it on my playlist last time.

Darth Punk , solojones and harpua like this.
  18. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Your top 100 books thread was a classic ****show. That's when @KnightWriter and Zaz became sworn enemies.

soitscometothis and KnightWriter like this.
  19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Oh, that was Zaz's big coming out party. Going into that thread, he was not well-liked; coming out of it, he was in more blood feuds than the Gambini crime family.

Coruscant and harpua like this.
  20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Oh, I forgot to say, that version of Willie the Pimp is amazingly bad-ass. Honestly, that would probably have been my vote if Watermelon wasn't on there.

Great playlist all around.

solojones and heels1785 like this.
  21. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I will probably always regret not seeing him live. Every live recording I've heard has been fantastic.

22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I think my two favorite albums of his are The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life and We're Only In It for the Money. Of course, one of them is a live album that has just a gonzo energy like nothing I'd ever heard before. And the other one is an album assembled via a tremendous amount of studio trickery, tape manipulation, etc. I found that interesting when I realized it. He was a genius on the stage and a genius in the studio. That's actually kind of rare, for somebody to push the limits in both areas of recording like that.

Also interesting, one of them came out in 1968 and the other in 1991, meaning there's twenty-three years between them. That is a ridiculous amount of time to be putting out music of that pure quality.

poor yorick likes this.
  23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    If you haven't, check out the "You Can't do that on Stage Anymore" albums. Vol 4 is my favorite, but they're all great

24. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I've heard Vol. 2, the Finland one, which I thought was okay, not one of my favorites. But the version of Montana (Whipping Floss) on that one is amazing. I have integrated "Good God, that's inexcusable" into my lexicon of phrases and use it quite often. That bit, where the drummer twice blows the intro, is hilarious.

25. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    As someone who’s never really listened to Frank Zappa, I should really listen to Frank Zappa. This playlist has been a fun listen. I voted for Trouble Every Day, but most of it is great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.