main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Amph The JCC Mixtape, Part III - Now Complete! (I think)

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Mar 18, 2022.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I've only heard a few of these so this will be a wide open list!

Darth_Duck likes this.
  2. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I just want to point out that there are 12 tracks on the voting list, but the YouTube link only gives me 10 tracks (Sarah McLachlan and Cowboy Junkies tracks are missing).

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Aw, what the heck, why not!

4. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    This is a fantastic playlist, but I’m going to have to auto-vote for It’s a Good Life If You Don’t Weaken. An absolutely fantastic, touching version of my favourite song. I can’t not vote for it.

heels1785 and Darth_Duck like this.
  5. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    A working version of Building a Mystery should be up, now.

Until I can find another License to Kill on the YouTubes, here's a spotify link

6. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Here's a link to what I believe is the right Cowboy Junkies track:

7. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    And that video is unavailable to me. But it looked like a cover of Bob Dylan's "License to Kill" from Early 21st Century Blues, so that would be it.

soitscometothis likes this.
  8. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    Anecdote time.
    Since songs by female vocalists were the winners in my last playlists, I thought I’d go all in on female vocalists this time around. I considered calling it “All Chicks, few *****” but I changed my mind while watching “The Cage.”

Anne Murray – “Song for the Mira”

Anne Murray was pretty inescapable growing up in Nova Scotia. And “Song for the Mira” is a lovely little song about a river up in Cape Breton. Though if we’re being honest Marion Bridge ain’t that great of a town, or a bridge, really, since that snowplow incident in the early 80s.

Sheryl Crow – “All I Wanna Do”

I remember driving around with my mum when she had Tuesday Night Music Club on cassette. I loved singing along with “All I Wanna Do” and then decades later realizing what the song is really about as I’m sitting in a bar surrounded by drinking buddies and not real friends. But I did love driving around with my mum. She’s a good mother. Speaking of…

Jann Arden – “Good Mother”

I think Living Under June was one of the first CDs purchased by someone in my household. It had some of Jann’s best songs: “Insensitive” “Could I Be Your Girl?” “Unloved” And it had “Good Mother” which I dedicate to my mother, who is good.

Melanie Doane – “Goliath”

I loved this song, and the album Adam’s Rib. I rocked it hard from 98-00, and again last year.

The Be Good Tanyas – “Light Enough to Travel”

Originally written by Vancouver accordionist Geoff Berner, this song was included on a CD a former friend made for me before my great American road trip of 2010.

Serena Ryder – “Brand New Love”

I really love Serena Ryder, and I love this tune she wrote in a bathtub in France.

Cowboy Junkies – “License to Kill”

Early 21st Century Blues is a great album of mostly covers. This is the opening track and this is one of those Dylan songs (like “Changing of the Guards”) where hearing someone else do it allowed me to appreciate it more (though that 84 Letterman performance by Dylan of this song with The Plugz was freaking fantastic, and when YouTube became an option for the playlists I almost made a “Live on Letterman” list just to put that version out there). Margo Timmins has a fantastic voice which elevates the material the Junkies do, whether their own, or covers.

Sarah McLachlan – “Building a Mystery”

She isn’t just about sad songs for pet adoption. I just find this song lyrically evocative. And blackmyron had Neko Case’s “Hold On, Hold On” on his list and I needed another song.

Tracy Chapman – “Talkin’ ‘bout a Revolution”

The problem is capitalism.

Phoebe Bridgers – “Motion Sickness”

Ryan Adams is a real ****: the song. This is the song that introduced me to Phoebe Bridgers. After a few weeks of her staring at me intensely from the video still I finally clicked “play” and a new world opened up for me. She’s just the bee’s knees.

Ria Mae – “Clothes Off”

I wanted something a little more upbeat for the playlist, and this is a banging tune, in every sense of the term.

The Tragically Hip with their dear friend Leslie Feist – “It’s A Good Life if You Don’t Weaken”

Somehow I’d fit the Hip onto this list. Last year was the 50th anniversary of the Juno Awards, Canada’s Grammys (named after the beach Canadian forces landed at on D-Day, because nothing says Canadian Music like a beach in Normandy where James Doohan lost a finger). The Hip received the Humanitarian Award and gave a rare, rare performance. Maybe their first since the passing of Gord Downie. Of course they were lacking a vocalist so they thought of only one person, Feist. And so, one night last year, for a brief 4 and a half minutes The Tragically Hip (with Feist) took to one of the most storied stages in Canada to rock it. My girlfriend and I watched it. Then we watched it again. I went out for a puff the next evening and when I came back in my girlfriend was crying on the couch. “I watched it again” she said over the closing notes. Pym and I had been taking about the Hip and I was able to share this performance with him (yay playlist friends!)? The other week I was driving home late at night and I heard this song on CBC radio. It gave me chills, even after listening to it hundreds of times.
    Before YouTube was an option, I had Feist's "Mushaboom" on my spotify playlist and the story was going to be "most people, even those in Nova Scotia, don't realize Mushaboom is a place. It sucks and everyone is related to each other. Roll Tide."

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
  9. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I feel obligated to pick All I Wanna Do as my 7 year old daughter loves that song.

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    duck and i have a side bet on the winner for his playlist, and i voted to help my case

forgive me

[​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I was hoping that Clothes Off song was a cover of

soitscometothis likes this.
  12. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Another playlist, another Hip song that only Duck and I voted for after including it ourselves. Woe.

heels1785 likes this.
  13. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    We're refined gentlemen of taste in a world that's not ready for us.

That said I thought "Clothes Off" was going to be more popular that it has turned out to be.

PymParticles and heels1785 like this.
  14. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    [​IMG]

harpua likes this.
  15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    sorry to run a bit late today. darth_duck's song:

[​IMG]

next up is @Sarge! poll will be up in a minute, and his playlist will be YT embeds (continued in following two posts):

Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
    Sarge and Juliet316 like this.
  16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
  17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

we'll run this one through next wednesday, 4/27 around noon eastern.

Sarge and Juliet316 like this.
  18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Hey, I said my list would sound old. :p

They're not just random songs that I like, there's a theme, and I'm wondering if anyone can guess what they all have in common...?

19. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    They're all videos on YouTube

What do I win?

20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    1980 minnie minoso

congrats

DarthIntegral likes this.
  21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    All that and a bag of chips.

You'll have to come to my place for the chips.

22. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    My guess is that they're all songs in heavy rotation at the USAF.

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    yes, i agree

all songs that sarge has blasted in his headphones while jumping out of planes, or while sword fighting pirates, or possibly while driving around gotham in his blue mustang chasing criminals

all of that happens in the air force, i think

EHT, SuperWatto, Juliet316 and 2 others like this.
  24. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Letsee here...guess I'll bookmark all these, and listen to them while I'm at work.

Oh man, that's a lot of them.

heels1785 likes this.
  25. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999