main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The JCC plays chess ?

Discussion in 'Community' started by 3sm1r, Aug 28, 2020.

1. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I think I followed you and sent a message for The Jedi Council.

3sm1r likes this.
  2. Darth_Nabb

Darth_Nabb Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 10, 2003
    Anybody else get the chess bug every few years, really, really try to get into it, but remain nevertheless unable to ascend from the depths of absolute suckitude? Maybe like once every dozen games or so I'll set up a legitimately clever discovered check. That seems to be the outer limit of my chess talent. Oh well.

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Well, i suppose I have it now but it has been a long time since I played last, like 1994. I plan is to puzzle play for the next month and then perhaps seek real opponents though I'd like my score to be above 2000 at that point. We'll see.

4. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Sucking and rocking is extremely relative. You'll always find many players much worse and much better.

5. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I fumbled my opening in all three games I played yesterday. Thought I had them drilled into my head but it had been about a month since my last game and apparently they weren’t. I’ll have to hit the books a bit before I play today I think.

I still managed to win one of them though, so that was nice.

6. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    At the beginning making a lot of puzzles and trying to avoid major blunders i more important than knowing openings IMO.

7. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Oh that was nice. It took me an hour to build up to 1400 from 1300. But I just went on and jumped to 1500 in ten minutes. :cool:

8. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    And in 30 minutes I went back to just above 1400. Why? Bad puzzles. The last one had the best move of taking a pawn with a pawn. Well there was a bishop I could have taken with my queen without threat to the queen afterwards. In fact in taking the pawn with the pawn it indicates the next move would have been for the enemy bishop to move away to safety. I hope giving a puzzle thumbs down actually means something.

9. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Nah, more likely you were tired and without realizing it you calculated less accurately than when you were going up. It happens to everyone very often. Sometimes I lost even more than 100 points while playing with humans, which is even more frustrating.
    There's no such thing as a bad puzzle since the correct moves are found by the engine. It's virtually impossible that an engine fails a 1400 puzzle.

10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    What are the items under Puzzles that say Dashboard, Streak, Storm, and Racer?

11. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    First time I see them.

Streak is pretty nice. They give you puzzles with increasing level and the goal is to make the largest streak without making a mistake.

12. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Whew! Took awhile. Finally broke 1600. Took an hour after having fallen to almost 1300.

3sm1r likes this.
  13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I have a bunch of PTO coming up (July 2nd-11th) so I'm going to try to tackle this then.

14. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I seem to fall between 1400 and 1500. 1603 was my best.

3sm1r likes this.
  15. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Castle King side.

16. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    For the first time I encountered a 2600 (who was a NM) in a 10 minutes game on lichess.

I'm very proud of myself. I survived decently until move 21. Then the position started collapsing, and I was in time pressure so I had to start blitzing and obviously I ended up losing.

17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i've been trying to get back into chess a little, but i'm so rusty. i've been playing on chess.com because i forgot we were using lichess. is there a reason lichess is better? anyway, i'd be up for a game sometime if anyone wanted to play a 10 or 15 minute game. my brain just doesn't work fast enough (yet) for bullet or blitz chess, i gotta spend a little bit of time staring at the board or i feel like i'm just playing checkers.

3sm1r likes this.
  18. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    @tom awesome, I'm down for a game some time. I personally prefer lichess because it's free of ads, it has better puzzles, and it never asks for money.

You have already an account because I remember we played once on lichess.

19. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Anyone else enjoying the FIDE Chess World Championship? Carlsen is up 6-3 against Nepomniachtchi. Game 10 is happening right now if want to watch on Twitch.

3sm1r and Lordban like this.
  20. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    I decided, by random chance, to follow game 6. I was very late heading home, but quite satisfied ^^

TiniTinyTony and 3sm1r like this.
  21. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Nepo will have to win at least once with black, so his chances are very small at this point.

I am also following. Game 6 and game 2 were amazing. But game 6' endgame was just too complicated for my brain, I think from that position I would just lose with both colors haha.

22. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    I've been following since. And yes, it's a terrible position for Nepo at this point. But the flipside is, he has nothing to lose at this point. Hopefully he can use that to escape the mental pressure he's been under.

EDIT - Make that "Nepo must win a game as black, two games as white and either win a second game as black, or take at least one rapid game off Carlsen, or take at least one blitz game off Carlsen"...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  23. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    And that, as they say, is that. Nepo never recovered from that marathon game, and offered three blunders in the next four matches.

TiniTinyTony and 3sm1r like this.
  24. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    It's really sad that it went down like this.
    He is unlikely to be challenger again in the future and as a personal satisfaction he would have surely preferred it not to end like this.

Very instructive rook endgame, btw. They're not easy for normal people and it's always nice to see how to do it .

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
    Lordban likes this.
  25. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I find it very unlikely that Nepo didn't see the move(s) he claimed to miss in the final game, but at the same time, he needed the W so maybe he was hoping for the best, but it seems like the best was a draw in his position even before his blunder of g3. He was way up on time too. Oh well. Congrats to Magnus! He's amazing.

Up next: December 17 - 19 | European Rapid and Blitz Championship | Katowice, Poland