main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Jedi Path. (Now you too can actually pretend with slightly more accuracy that you're a Jedi!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Manisphere, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Ikari

Master_Ikari Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 26, 2007
    I had completely forgotten about that when I was writing my message! Thanks, Ceieran. Although I do have a question: does it specifically state that that they're not allowed to wear one? I remember the whole 'surrender your lightsaber' bit because that was later reused in Knights of the Old Republic II. Of course now thinking about it, surrendering your lightsaber is ultimately a futile action. I understand the symbolic gesture of it but they can't police every former Jedi out there in the galaxy 24/7 to make sure they're not using a lightsaber.

Sometimes there's a huge disconnect between what the Prequels have shown us and what the Expanded Universe is presenting when it comes to the Jedi, as you've pointed out in the above.

Thinking about the Altis sect for a moment, why would the Jedi even recognize any of his followers as nothing more than unaffiliated Force Sensitives trained in the Jedi Arts? By the established regulations and guidelines put forth in the Jedi Path, they certainly wouldn't be considered Jedi by the Prequel era Order's standards. They haven't been through a fancy chamber and all! :p

Of course, that leads to this consideration: What makes a Jedi a Jedi? Is it simply following the rules and regulations put forth by the Council or is it following a higher calling (i.e. the Jedi Code and the will of the Force) than what the Council says? If the will of the Force says, 'Hey there, random Jedi, it's OK to get your groove on with that hottie that you're interested in and settle down with him/her and have a happy life.' then why should anyone listen to a nearly 900 year old tree frog?

Of course, let's ignore the fact that the will of this great energy field created by all living things sounds like someone that's using horrible slang.

Ah, this. See, this makes Anakin out to be a even more selfish (and stupid) [insert word here that I can't use on this forum]. It's like, Ani? You're the freaking Chosen One. Why should you get a flying leap about what the Council is goi

2. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998

3. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    Amazon just posted a few items from my endnote series that I'm working up for The Jedi Path. Basically I'm still writing them, but Amazon wanted a sneak peek so I pulled a half-dozen which they featured in this article:

http://www.omnivoracious.com/2010/09/traveling-the-jedi-path-with-author-daniel-wallace.html

Just provides a little more context for some of my favorite little things in the book. Would love to hear feedback!

Dan

4. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    So, after much umming-and-ahhing I decided to order the big vault edition with all the bells and whistles. As much as I hate to admit it... I really like bells and whistles.

5. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

6. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005

7. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

the thirty third Kybuck was great, and I still prefer Form Zero for my lightsaber.

8. Master_Ikari

Jul 26, 2007
    Like what Ceiran said above, I loved the bit about the Kybucks. It was so great because when I first read that, I laugh my behind off. It just sounded so wrong. I pictured Yoda standing by a dead Kybuck and thinking, "Shavit! Killed another have I! Thirty second this is. Maybe lucky I will be on the thirty-third."

Colt lightsabers! Kills them every time!

I think the thing with Anakin is that he really, really, really didn't comprehend the notion that after a certain point in time... the Jedi needed Anakin more Anakin needed the Jedi. I say this Pre-ROTS novelization where he's wanting to raid the holocron archives to see if he can find something to save Padme's life.

Hell, does anyone remember that part in Labyrinth of Evil with the diplomatic incident on Charros IV involving Anakin and Obi-Wan? After Yoda and Mace heard the news, Yoda basically said, 'Hell, man, I'm willing to tolerate as many as these as he wants to make if that means he's the Chosen One.' OK, not in so many words but still. Any other Jedi and I'd bet they'd be chewed out at the very least.

That brings up another side to this topic: the fact that former Jedi during Order Sixty-Six did do such a thing. From this page concerning the creation of The Force Unleashed, Haden Blackman has this to say:

I imagine some of them put their Force abilities to usage during this. Since we have this precedent (albeit in a moment of extreme circumstance but still), I wonder how many did this prior.

9. Grendelspyce

Grendelspyce Jedi Master

Jun 29, 2006
    To my absolute delight, I received my copy in the mail today. I've been dying for this day since seeing the Lucasfilm trailer and attending the panel at CV. Thank you Dan and everyone involved in the creation of the vault, I really feel as though today is the opening of a new Star Wars movie, my birthday and Christmas all rolled in to one! I've spent the afternoon reading outside on my porch and truly being blown away by the art, ideas and thoughtfulness evident on every page.

That being said... :-B I think I may have found an error that might be corrected in future editions. Page 66 states that there are seven forms of lightsaber combat. However, (and correctly) there are chapters for only six. Clearly the seventh form, Vaapad, was not developed by Mace Windu until after the in-universe publication date of the book. This might be a great opportunity for an annotation from Yoda explaining that his friend has developed a seventh form that will be incorporated into future editions of the book.

10. Master_Ikari

Jul 26, 2007
    As I recall, Form VII Juyo is mention later on in the 'Advanced' section of the book. Vaapad, being a variant of Juyo, wasn't in existence at the publication of the book therefore wouldn't have been featured. But it does get a mention from Anakin, if I'm not mistaken.

11. Grendelspyce

Grendelspyce Jedi Master

Jun 29, 2006
    Ah! That's what I get for posting before finishing the book! Indeed, Yoda mentions Mace's creation of Vapaad on page 136. [face_whistling] Nevermind...

12. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Wait....was a reference to the "Best Blades"...IT WAS! :D

And know we know the guy who said it...ps, Sky Judge has to be the coolest title ever.
    Or at least a good starting point for a weird super hero series.

13. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    no disrespect to Dan...this looks like a FANTASTIC product...but 60+ dollars? That is way over my budget for any one SW product. Will a cheaper PB version ever come out?

14. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000

I believe the book itself is a paperback. I think the price is high because of the case and extra goodies.

15. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

nope, the book itself is hardcover with great paper and leatherbound if I recall right. and the price is 1 Dollar per fangasm ;)

16. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Hm, well, here's hoping I have enough room to store this book, just ordered a copy. I know all the reviews have been quite positive, but then glanced at the preview pages on Amazon and... well, sold. Here's hoping it doesn't take too long to ship. Normally something this expensive I wouldn't touch, but I just can't resist after seeing that various Jedi characters wrote notes on the pages (always did love that kind of thing in books).

17. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Oh believe me, it's well worth it. Especially a certain comment made by comment on one of the last pages....

[face_mischief]

18. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    so what's the dish on mud limpets? And is the o'cerry the same as the "Felucian cat-bunny" Aayla owned as a kid? Are the Mygeetan whiteworms the big giant things from the ROTS concept art?

19. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I fixed it!

20. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    So, I just got this.

OH MY GOD THE VAULT OPENS BY ITSELF AND HAS FLASHING LIGHTS HOLY SITH THIS IS THE MOST AWESOME THING EVER.

The vault was totally worth it. I wish I had one for every book I own.

EDIT:

Heh... the Chosen One prophecy's opening seems familiar....

"In the time --
    despair, a Ch --
    born, who --
    the Sith ar --
    ance to t -- "

But will he be called SON OF THE SUNS? :p

Tantalising glimpses! TANTALISING!

21. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

hey don't tempt them! :p

I already dreamed of the other versions... and how they might look design wise. I even dreamed of the different sounds the Mandalorian version and the Sith version would have. Damn, then I woke up... recently I often dream of an imaginary bookstore with lots of books I want but never can buy or read... YJK books 16-20, Union Comic #2 feat. Jaina's marriage, etc. And yeah, I even flipped through the books in this bookstore and read parts of them. :_| you should have seen the magnificient cover art. Not to speak of the Sequel trilogy and the most beautiful and perfect retcons for every trouble... that I can't remember after waking up... I-)

22. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Finally got this yesterday with all the extras - Jedcred, pictures, etc.

There's a questionable line in the book. This is in the section dealing with materials that are resistant to a lightsaber.

Bones of some creatures, such as Onderon or Felucia

I think this was a grammatical goof on Mr. Wallace's part. If anyone could clear this line up...

23. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Having finished it, now, my general impressions are:

[image=http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h125/Ulicus/excellent.jpg]

A very few quibbles here and there (when don't I have quibbles!?) that I may discuss later but, yeah, on the whole: awesome stuff. =D=

24. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    San Dimas High School football rules!
    -- Thame Cerulian

Dan

25. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    It was meant to be, "bones of some creatures, such as those found on Onderon or Felucia..."

Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.