main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Jedi Path. (Now you too can actually pretend with slightly more accuracy that you're a Jedi!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Manisphere, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    I was just thinking of this a minute ago! I was on Wookieepedia and did a click-click-click (tab-tab-tab) thing when I noticed some Jedi Path content, and realized that none of the authors (other than the Anx) have their species identified. This was never my intention -- they all have species and I could have sworn I tucked that info into the book somewhere but apparently I never did.

I'm planning to release an extensive series of endnotes but might just post up those species early... let me look through my files.

EDIT: purpilian, you were the one who wrote the Wook entries I was looking at! Absolutely, let me get those posted.

Dan

2. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    You got me there -- that's a mistake on my part.

For the most part, "first contact" mentions in the SWEU are a bit of a mess; old-school fans will remember that the Mon Calamari and Quarrens were supposedly first discovered in the early years of the Empire. In practice, well-designed aliens will always get used in old sources (like Tales of the Jedi, or KOTOR, or the new MMO) because designers or artists like the way they look and it's a good idea for guidebook writers like me to avoid absolute statements and be prepared for retcons.

I'm offering that up as potential cover for my mistake, but it is definitely a mistake and I apologize for getting it wrong.

Dan

3. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    Here's that extra info on the authors I promised. This was part of the outline from the beginning. I really wanted to have an even balance between males and females and an even balance between humans and aliens.

? Grand Master Fae Coven: A wise female Jenet who heads the High Council
    ? Jedi Ace Crix Sunburris: A male human starfighter pilot and a bit of a braggart
    ? Chief Librarian Restelly Quist: A female human who values knowledge above all other disciplines
    ? Jedi Biologist Bowspritz: A male Tynnan who gets excited about his area of expertise
    ? Jedi Battlemaster Skarch Vaunk: A female Anx and lightsaber expert
    ? Jedi Seer Sabla-Mandibu: A female Miraluka with a deep understanding of the Force
    ? Jedi Recruiter Morrit Ch?gally: A male human who brings new recruits to the Temple
    ? Analysis Droid JN-66/X2: A by-the-book droid assigned to work in the Jedi analysis chamber
    ? AgCorps Jedi Gal-Stod Slagistrough: A male Nuknog who was not chosen as a Padawan and instead joined the Agricultural Corps

Note that the analysis droid got dropped and his sections were assigned to other authors.

Dan

4. purpilian

purpilian Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2005
    Wow!!! That was speedy! Thanks alot. I don't know if I can add that to the pages yet or not if its not published though...maybe behind the scenes?

5. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Totally acceptable as Bts info. Just cite his post as the source.

6. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    The Official Site updated today with a new Jedi Path interview:

http://starwars.com/vault/books/jedi_path_dan_wallace_interview/index.html

Dan

7. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    The Sith Road? The Hutt Slimetrail? The Droid Promenade?

8. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    The Smuggler's Run?

9. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    Sweet mashed potatoes and gravy, Plaristes- that's so abso-freaking-lutely BRILLIANT that now I'll be disappointed if they DON'T do it! =D=

10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The Mofference Way.

11. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

and another of my ideas has been stolen... :rolleyes: :p

I should stop to give you ideas that later cost me to buy the product ;) if only I could stop it [face_money_eyes]

12. Darth_Calgmoth

Darth_Calgmoth Jedi Master star 2

Jul 7, 2006
    Well, the difference between the usual 'first contact' stuff in supplement books for RPGs (if I remember correctly, the old Mon Cal back story was first mentioned there) and the Yinchorri thing is that it was a viable and important part of the plot in said arc, so people really do remember it, whereas the other stuff was and is just background information.

13. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I think you may underestimate how important the recentness of the Mon Calamari's discovery was to pre-prequel characterizations of them.

And no story element is memorable to *everyone*. I'd forgotten that detail about the Yinchorri, and I read the relevant comics less than six months ago.

14. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    I don't know if Dan is so wrong on the Yinchorri...it was not that the Yinchorri had just now contacted the rest of the Galaxy, but that they had just joined the Republic. Furthermore, they must have had earlier contact, since the Jedi were able to find info about them in a forgotten holocron in the Tower of First Knowledge

15. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Its been years since the "recently discovered" bit of Mon Calamari history was retconned out, but I thought that was partially to explain why the Mon Calamari were such good shipbuilders but hadn't reached the heights of Fondor or even Kuat? By the New Republic era, the Mon Calamari were definitely near that level, if not above it, although being one of the key elements of Rebel victory sure helped business, as well as providing many Rebel warships. But then you have things like the MC90 which was something like the first Mon Cal cruiser designed for war compared to all the converted starliners that the earlier MC cruisers has been. But since the prequels, especially with how many Mon Cal elements ended up in the Confederate fleet (mainly because Quarrens joined them and stole some plans), so it seems odd that it would take the Mon Cal so long to design an actual warship after the Clone Wars. I think, not sure what's still cannon these days since MC90s have rarely been used since (one showed up in LotF, but its class wasn't really important there).

But what I'm getting at is that canon can be really fluid, so one minor mistake can eventually be explained away, especially for a relatively minor species (compared to, say, the Mon Calamari).

16. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    The Jedi Path, of course, crosses the Sith Road; in fact, it's only because it would look really stupid that there are absolutely no crossroads in Revenge of the Sith.

17. PirateofRohan

PirateofRohan Jedi Master star 3

Dec 11, 2009
    Is there any NJO/Post-NJO material featured in this book? I hope not, because anything chronologically past YJK is dead to me. Anywho, the book looks really cool!:D

18. Vrook_Lamar

Vrook_Lamar Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2008
    Repeat after me. "Lost in the dark age".

19. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    No NJO/post-NJO material. According to Dan Wallace, Luke received this just before the NJO. Luke's personal notes are the "latest" material in the book.

20. PirateofRohan

Dec 11, 2009
    That's it, I'm buying the book. Or I'm gonna have Santa bring it to me. He's my Grandpa.:D
    With the "first contact" stuff, you're missing one crucial word.[face_thinking] It should be "first known contact". I mean, it's possible for Jedi 900+ years ago to know about the Yinchorri and then for them to pass out of common knowledge only to be "discovered" when they contact the Republic.[face_idea]

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Someone obviously inserted a CGI character into that shot.

22. PirateofRohan

Dec 11, 2009
    Would you be talking about the one with the aqua lightsaber?

23. PirateofRohan

Dec 11, 2009
    Shouldn't the book be written in Aurbesh?[face_thinking]

24. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    That's Super Deluxe Edition. ;)
    In the same way the movies were dubbed from Basic and Tolkien translated and edited The Red Book from Westron, this book was carefully first changed from Aurebesh to Latin alphabet and then translated from Basic to English, with great care to copy original hand-writing styles.

Kudos to Daniel Wallace.

25. PirateofRohan

Dec 11, 2009
    Does the same go for my Millenium Falcon Owner's Manual?[face_dancing]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.