main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Jedi Trials - A Welsh Fan-Film

Discussion in 'Archive: FF:UK - Wales' started by Welshguy, Jan 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terra

Terra Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2000
    Terra - I read your alternative take on the second chapter. I think there are deffinatly some bits in there we can use, such as the fight scene between Dai and Ani/Vader (some excellent dialog by the way), but Ani being Vader doesn't fit in with the "Jedi Trails" time line/story arch. However it has given me alot of ideas regarding the slaves and Anakin's return to Cairis. Any other thoughts on the second chapter?

Funny, I don't remember writing anything to do with that!

2. TANTIV

TANTIV Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2001
    Yeah it can be done wont take long to learn at all

If you are a quick study then you will pick it up in no time

3. Welshguy

Welshguy Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    Terra - Opps, my mistake. I ment to send that message to Fall-on-Jin. Don't know why I sent it to you????? Sorry about that.

Tantiv - I like to think i'm a quick learner with this kind of thing. If you had to give a rough estimate of how long we would have to have lessons and practice for, how long would that be? Roughly speaking?

Wow, were on the second page! This is beig people. Before long we will have caught those Northern Irish up (Always seem to be around 60 posts ahead of us) and made big inroads into the pre-production of this movie.

4. Fall-on-Jin

Fall-on-Jin Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 22, 2001
    Hey Welshguy, ive thought about what you said there and I thought Vader would be a rather Fitting Character, as it would again symbolize the similarites between them because they do suffer similar fates. Also, the slaves Verses stormtroopers would aslo be a good similarity, because it resembes the good army against evil one.

However, it is a first draft and we need to concentrate on things which are a bit closer to home (eg the first one!)

5. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    I've finally had chance to glance over the script,some props there seem to be right up my street.For instance the cattle prod things,I was wondering though how big would they have to be and how durable?Do you want them to go around the whole of the neck or only partially -partially would allow for a better design I think.

If something is simply background or just has to be held than I can get away with cardboard which I can get to look like almost anything with a bit of time and some good paint techniques.Cheap too.

If I was involved which I would like very much I wouldn't be able to do loads but a few things on the list would probably be achievable in the time I have [remember I'm not a master yet! + there is college but I reckon i can con my tutors into accepting it all as part of the course work so it should get me extra points if I can :) ]
    I'll draw up a few sketches today if I get some time and I'll send them as soon as I can.

I'm working at the moment on a futuristic police security camera which is meant to hover[purely for the fun of it]
    and a Tie pilot costume

Ooh I've just rembered I have a helmet I made last year ,it's kind of a cross between a riot helmet and Vaders,if it's any use I can drag it out and repair it for you.The visor is removable and it has a radio mic inside.

As soon as I can I'll send some piccies of what I can do.

Cheers -it would be a great help this to get me some valuable experience!

6. TANTIV

May 2, 2001
    Give me a month and you will be up to an acceptable standard ;)

7. CGI-BOBAFENT

Feb 5, 2002
    .....I can do stunts as well -One of my greatest achievements I can list is convincing an audience of hundreds that I fell off a high stage accidentally when really I'd done it on purpose.The crowd gasped in unison-it was great!

No examples of props yet but I've got this diorama I did in the week AOTC was released

http://www.niubniubsuniverse.com/visitors/FentonWilkinson/FentonWilkinson01.asp

8. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Fall-on-Jin - Thats a good point actually, it would be very interesting to watch Vader and Champ, two Jedi that have suffered terrible injuries, yet have chosen two completly different paths. Plus it would also be cool to have one of the movies set in the Attack of the Clones era and the other in the A New Hope era. But we can pick this up at a later date, as right now we need to focus just on this one movie, but interesting stuff I must say.

Tantiv - A month eh? That sounds do-able. What other skills do you think potential Jedi should learn if they are to look as cool as possible?

CGI-BOBAFENT - Anything that you could do for this movie would be a big bonus. A big yes on that helmet that you designed. We actually need something like that to stick on Dai at the end of the movie, when he's all burnt and crunchy, so it would be cool if you could dig it out and send me a pic. I see the cattle prod weapons around 5 feet long (kind of like a staff for the main body) with some kind of scary looking bit at the end. Not much for you to really go on I know, but these weapons are supposed to strike terror into the hearts of the slaves, so they have to look pretty intimidating. They should be fairly durable and if it would make for a better design not to go all the way around the neck, then so be it.

You know, I did a similar stunt to you once. Whereas you fell of the stage and all the people gasped in suprsise not knowing that you had planned it, I once fell down the stairs at McDonalds in Cardiff in front of about 100 people, they laughed more than gasped really, but I had the last laugh as I knew that I had fallen on purpose.........

Well i'm starting my gym programme tonight people. Got to pump up if i'm going to be playing the future Darth Vader. Hmm, this could take some time..........

9. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    but these weapons are supposed to strike terror into the hearts of the slaves, so they have to look pretty intimidating.

I had a idea about that 'cattle prod' thing. Have you seen Spider-Man? At the end the green goblin getsout this metal thing and says "Me and AJ, we're gona have a hell of a time!". Anyone seen that part? well I was thinking that the thing that the green goblin holds has 3 spikes the jolt out and spark. Thats quite terrifing.

10. Terra

Oct 25, 2000
    Oi Tantiv, me and you are gonna work out a hella cool guitar riff of the Imperial March to fit in somewhere...I just feel like it.

11. CGI-BOBAFENT

Feb 5, 2002
    Bad news everyone -looking at my timetable it doesn't look like I have a lot of time at all.I can do as many designs as you like [I've already done a few for the prod and it is coincidentally quite like what youv'e just described]however actually getting round to making it all could be pretty tough as I've just b'n given another big assignment at college today.I'm really dissapointed and if I can I will help out with any ideas but as it stands I haven't much time.
    If you still want me to do some designs than just give us a shout and I'll be happy to.
    Again I am really sorry and to be honest very dissapointed because I was looking forward to it all.

Sorry!

Just wondering -what part of Wales is it all to be filmed in so I can get the helmet to you if it is needed?

12. TANTIV

May 2, 2001
    Well you are gonna have to learn how to fall and basically fight hand to hand, a bit of Judo and Kickboxing will be necessary

but i think i can do it lads ;) trust me

Terra way ahead of you on the Guitar front mate been trying it for a while

13. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    CGI-BOBAFENT - Thats to bad mate. It would have been really cool to have you working on the movie, but the last thing I would want is for your course to suffer. If I think about this with a bit of lateral thinking we should just about get by. A quick trip down Toys R Us should provide us with some fairly decent looking blasters and I guess i'll have to make the rest, or buy it. Which evers cheaper I suppose. I remeber going to a web-site once that showed you how to make realalistic looking lightsaber hilts with just 1 visit to the local DIY store (I think the site was bigyellowsaber or something), so if we apply the same logic to the other props we should just about get by. But if you could still sumit the odd design for some of the props it would be a big help, then atleast I could see what I got to buy or make. Any help will be rewarded in the afterlife 10 fold, or so i'm told ;)

odj_310388 - I went to see Spiderman in the cinema and was fairly indifferent to it to be honest. Growing up he was my favourte superhero, but I guess the movie suffered from a bit too much hype, which is never good (I actually quite liked The Phantom Menace when I watched it on video after all the hype had died down). So I guess i'll have to rent out Spiderman now, thanks for the heads up. It could be worse I suppose. The weapon your talking about could have been in Blade 2.....

Tantiv - Thats interesting actually, myself and a friend were talking about what martial art is the "best" one to learn. He told me that a friend of his in work, who's big into that scene reccomended that Kung Fu is the only one worth learning, as it focuses more on attack and not deffence. Any thoughts on this?

14. CGI-BOBAFENT

Feb 5, 2002
    I was thinking if you take a trip down to a DIY store you can find tons of stuff which when bolted together make fantastic Star Wars style props-I was in a shop yesterday and saw telescoping mop with all these ridges down them and thought it would look great with a bit of modification as a retracting staff type thing.Sadly my scanners not working otherwise I would have sent some designs already with ideas on how to put them together out of junk basically.
    I've just designed a holo projector as part of my course and seem to remember a hologram in your script-an upturned large plastic bowl with pieces stuck on would work -anyway I'll just send the design when I can save me trying to explain it properly

15. TANTIV

May 2, 2001
    I do as a matter a fact , most martial artist will say there system is better than some one elses, that is why Nick Gillard, took moves from every major martial art to create the Jedi Art.

Now our system used Kempo, one of the earliest forms of Karate (Empty Hand), most if not Nearly all Martial arts work from a defensive move except for Jeet Kung Do developed by Bruce Lee

a mixture is best as you can bring in things from Akido, Jujitsu, Taekwondo, Kendo ther are a lot to choose from and if they dont work you develope techniques that will fit

16. Fall-on-Jin

Fall-on-Jin Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 22, 2001
    CGI-BOBAFENT no worries about not being able to make the props. All we really need are designs to base them on, something which i cant really do (except for the lightsabers) What we really need are some blaster ideas, a design for the cattle prod thingy and a few jedi looking odds and ends that would fit in a medatating chamber.

Tantiv I was wondering, perhaps me, you and Welshguy should get together sometime and perhaps talk though what we need to learn for the movie.

Welshguy - now that we seem to have a few core memebers, i think it mightbe time to organise some sort of meetup?

17. TANTIV

May 2, 2001
    Aye any time

18. Terra

Oct 25, 2000
    *Uses the power of the Argos uniform to secure a 10% discount on any stuff from there we need - ooo, feel the lack of power!*

19. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Fall-on-Jin - Yeah, a meetup would deffinatly be worth getting arranged. Though we may want to leave it for a couple of weeks, not for any pre-production reasons, more to do with a botch dye job I got yesterday. Gotta give it some time to calm down a little. Let us never mention this again.

Ok, so in theory, where and when would this meeting take place? If anyone knows of a place with everything we need (table, comfy chairs etc), please let me know.

CGI-BOBAFENT - Whenever i'm in Focus or one of the other major DIY stores (changed thier names so often, i'm not sure which ones are still around?) I get a strange feeling.. While other people are measuring up drill bits and kitchen work surfaces, i'm off wondering the hardware section remarking to myself how much a modifed Black and Decker sander looks like a Trade Federation battle tank. Is this just me, or is it a common problem amoungst Star Wars fans?
    As Fall-on-Jin has said, any input you can give would be great.

Tantiv - Wow, you seem to really know your stuff, its a good thing that your on our side really. Do you ever incorperate any of the Jedi theology in your martial arts? Strange question I know, but I did put down "Jedi" in the "What religion are you" section of the cencus last year, so you really can't blame me.

Terra - That could come in handy. I wanted to buy an Anakin Skywalker figure from Argos recently to stick on my monitor at work, but the way you sell them (choice of 3, can't pick what one you have) makes this a very risky purchase. Why do Argos do this?

20. Terra

Oct 25, 2000
    We do it because otherwise we have to have 3 seperate lines for them...this gets very awkward when you imagine that with some figures you have up to 10 varietys...not really risky though, you can always ask us to go and check the shelf to see if we have the one you want - just ask on Collection :)

21. Terra

Oct 25, 2000
    Oh, and as for a place for a meet-up: Starbucks, dude :) You know it makes sense.

22. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Terra - I suppose I could go and ask for the particular figure I want, its just a pain in the butt. I would have bought it somewhere else, but i've been to just about every toystore/supermarket/sci-fi shop/ etc in South Wales not a single one had the Anakin figure I wanted. They had plenty figures of him dressed as a "Refugee", but none of him in his Jedi get-up. I know i'm going on about this a little, but I thought it might just be a funny cool thing to have on my monitor at work, but somehow it has turned into an impossible, holy grail type quest for me. Maybe i'll give Argos another try.

Starbucks sounds ok. Though I may be bouncing off the walls after half an hour. Guess thats just a risk that were going to have to take. Once the dye calms down that is. Stupid bloody bint hairdresser, more concerned about chatting to her boyfriend on the phone than whats going on atop my head.... Sorry, I digress.

23. TANTIV

May 2, 2001
    Umm yeah use for Knowledge and Defence and my fave when i teach the Kid`s

No do or do not there is no Try

:D Yoda only a wee bit taller

24. Terra

Oct 25, 2000
    Not sure if we have Anaking in Jedi gear in stock anymore, I'll check every store on the Welsh network for you on Monday ;)

25. Terra

Oct 25, 2000
    /\ I can't spell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.