main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge The July 2017 Read & Review Marathon | Congrats Finds & WarmNyota! Feedback needed please :)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Chyntuck, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    WELCOME TO THE JULY 2017 READ & REVIEW MARATHON!

Here on the JCF Fanfic Boards we have all sorts of writing challenges – write about this, write about that, write long stories, write short stories, write as much as you can – but only one read & review challenge so far. It’s time we challenged ourselves to read and review more stories more often and to give our fellow fanficcers the recognition they deserve, so I give you the Read & Review Marathon!

The purpose of this challenge is to read & review as many stories as possible, and/or to leave the most detailed reviews possible. There will be two winners:
    • The reader who reviewed the largest number of stories, even if each review is just a few words.
    • The reader who left the longest reviews on average (meaning, the total review word count divided by the total number of reviews).
    Dates:This challenge runs from 01 July 2017 at 00:00:01 PST to 31 July 2017 at 23:59:59 PST.

The rules:
    1) State your intention to participate by posting in this thread. You can sign up at any point while the challenge is open.​
    2) In order to participate you must post at least five (5) reviews in July 2017. These can be reviews on different stories, or reviews on different entries of the same story, in SWFF or NSWFF.​
    3) Start reading and reviewing as much as you can on 01 July. You can have a look at fics you’d like to R&R before 01 July of course, but please don’t prepare any reviews beforehand.​
    4) Once the challenge is under way, post your total number of reviews and your total word count every few days in this thread. I’ll keep a tally in post #2 of this thread.​
    5) We will be using THIS word counter . Quoted excerpts from the story you are commenting on don’t count towards your word count, obviously.​
    6) Please don’t use this thread to recommend the stories you read. If you discover underrated gems, keep them in store for the Reader’s Choice index.​
    7) If you are an author and would like a particular story of yours to be reviewed, please do not post your request here. That belongs in the Read and Review Tag Challenge.​
    8) If it becomes apparent that you are reviewing without reading the story (for example if you write "good story" on 10 different threads within 10 minutes), then you will be removed from the challenge.​
    9) As usual, every aspect of the FAQ applies to this challenge. Please check out in particular the rules on concrit before you start reviewing.​
    10) Once the challenge is over, you'll have a few days to post your final totals, and the winners will be announced.​

Prizes: Winners get bragging rights of course, but also a cute winner badge designed by Mr Chyntuckopoulos.

Ready... Set...

AzureAngel2 and Tarsier like this.
  2. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Participants:

Chyntuck -- 56 reviews, 12319 words (final)
    divapilot -- 35 reviews, 10074 words (final)
    DARTH_MU -- approx 10 reviews, 100-150 words (final)
    Findswoman -- 23 reviews, 9176 words (final)
    Nehru_Amidala -- dropped out
    Raissa Baiard -- 1 review, 398 words (final)
    Sith-I-5 -- dropped out due to health reasons, get better soon!
    WarmNyota_SweetAyesha -- 120 reviews, 3075 words (final)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  3. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Hi Chyntuck!

I will participate as DARTH_MU. Martyavidianus is therefore disqualified. :( But fear not, DARTH_MU will keep on reviewing!

Thanks for this challenge.

AzureAngel2 and Chyntuck like this.
  4. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Just read Rule #8. Curses!

I'm a bit burned out on reviews, but I'm sure I can manage 5 in a month.

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    One quick question for our hostess -- Chyntuck -- do stories on the NSWFF also qualify? :cool:

6. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Of course! I'll spell it out in the rules just so there's no confusion.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_dancing] Thanks. I'll be happy to sign up then. :D [face_love]

8. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Please sign me up.

9. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    I will give it a try. I need to reboot my writing and reading & reviewing is a good way to start.

10. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    It's 01 July in California and this challenge is now open!

As stated above, you can sign up anytime you like until the end of the month.

(On a more personal note, this is the time for me to catch up on the gazillion story threads I failed to review over the past several months.)

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    So far, reviewed 4 fics. Total of 165 altogether: 13; 15; 62; 75. :D

AzureAngel2, Tarsier and Chyntuck like this.
  12. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    I'm up to 4 reviews too, total 840 words.

13. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    I managed another 4 reviews over the past two days. New total 8 reviews - 1694 words.

(If I keep up the two-reviews-per-day rhythm I'm not only going to clear my backlog, but also read lots of news stories. However I doubt that DRL will allow for that to happen.)

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    =D= Chyn is the one to catch! [face_party] [:D]

Since my first post total, I have reviewed 9 more for a total of 316. Total now is 481.

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    As of today, July 5, did 4 more reviews, for a total of 17. Grand total for all is 584.

16. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    3 more for me today, new totals 11 reviews - 2018 words.

17. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    And three more, new totals 14 reviews -- 2667 words.

18. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Four reviewed, including some woefully overdue reviews. 1180 words.

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    As of today, did 5 moore =22. 71 more for a new total of 655 words.

20. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    This looks interesting and I've definitely been keeping my eyes on it, though I may or may not end up entering just because I can't guarantee that RL will cooperate—we'll see. But I'll watch for sure. :)

EDIT: Oh, what the heck. Go ahead and sign me up, please—I can't guarantee how well I'll do, but I'll give it a try (and it'll help motivate me to tackle my own backlog).

AzureAngel2, Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Through today, have completed 11 additional reviews, for total of 33. 441 more words, for a total so far of 1,096. :)

22. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    I took two days off reviewing but I'm back! Three more stories read and reviewed for me today, for a new total of 17 reviews - 3143 words.

The totals in the first post are updated and I added Findswoman to the list.

23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    4 more reviews as of today for 64 words which now altogether totals 37 reviews and 1,160 words. :cool:

24. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    I did three more today. Total 20 reviews, 3957 words :) (yes, I get a smiley because I'm very happy with myself [face_smug] :p )

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Did 4 more reviews with 75 words = 1,235.