main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The K-Pop Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by solojones, Sep 21, 2021.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Now that I know @Sadie Erso at least also likes K-Pop, I decided to start a thread so we don't flood the Best Friends thread with our enthusiasm.

So my ult is BTS. My bias is Namjoon and my wrecker is Suga though I'd say I'm also OT7.

Enhypen is next, and my bias is Heeseung and my wrecker is Jay. Though again, OT7.

Then closely after is TXT, my bias is Taehyun and my wrecker is Heuning Kai.

With the TXT online concert on the 3rd, the Enhypen full album comeback on the 12th, and the BTS online concert on the 21st, October is shaping up to be a busy month for we HYBE fans!

Feel free to post any and all Kpop thoughts here.

Sadie Erso likes this.
  2. Sadie Erso

Sadie Erso Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2020
    Ah! I have a friend who also likes Kpop - @Fel Corvax

My BTS bias is Jimin and my bias wreckers always change lol
    My TXT bias is Soobin and my bias wrecker is Kai.
    My ENHYPHEN bias ... I'm still new to them. I haven't figured that out yet.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  3. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Have you watched I-Land? That's how Heeseung and his work ethic and humility, and Jay and his pure grit and wit, ended up grabbing me.

Sadie Erso likes this.
  4. Sadie Erso

Aug 3, 2020
    Ah ... no... I have so much to learn about kpop but hardly any time.. I have heard of it though.

5. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

It's the show where they formed Enhypen. If you get a subscription to the streaming app Viki you can watch it there. Highly recommend it for getting to know Enhypen more.

Sadie Erso likes this.
  6. Sadie Erso

Aug 3, 2020
    That would be cool to watch it.

7. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Blame_It_On_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    You can add me to the list.

I listen to an unhealthy amount of Twice. I've recently come to terms that I am a huge Once despite my resistance to them in the beginning. My bias is Dahyun and probably the wrecker is Jihyo.

I also like Blackpink a lot. My bias is Lisa, who is just an elite tier talent. Actually they were who I listened to the most at first until I really gave Twice a chance.

I respect the hell out of BTS for what they mean to the industry, so I listen to them occasionally.

I like Itzy. Don't really have a bias but I do have a soft spot for Chaeryeoung primarily because she was a finalist on Sixteen, the reality show that formed Twice.

Stray Kids are good but I only listen to them on occasion. Also like After School.

Yep. I fell down the rabbit hole.

Sadie Erso likes this.
  8. Sadie Erso

Aug 3, 2020
    AHH! Welcome to the club!!!! I also fell down the rabbit hole lol

Blame_It_On_Lucas likes this.
  9. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Jan 29, 2004
    Lol. Yeah its bad. I knew it was over when I officially got my first physical album a couple months ago.

Sadie Erso likes this.
  10. Sadie Erso

Aug 3, 2020
    Ah no fair! I haven't gotten one yet... I've been a fan for 9 months now. lol

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I have most the BTS albums now. The quality on CDs is great.

So if you like Lisa, what do you think of Lalisa? I heard it got mixed reviews

Sadie Erso likes this.
  12. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Jan 29, 2004
    Kpop albums, especially for the really popular groups are excellent. US artists and studios should think about doing this more but may not be profitable since the Western tastes have changed to mostly streaming. But yeah, just a lot of extras with Kpop physical albums. Though personally for me, at least in regards to Twice, I get nothing out of the photo cards so I have no idea what to do with them. Another user on the forum gave a good idea on using photo card albums.

I think it's ok. Nothing earth shattering. The hook is good and performance wise she's got swagger. However, like the other solo songs it's not nearly as good as their songs as a group. It certainly is the best of the solo songs imo.

What are your thoughts on the song?

Sadie Erso likes this.
  13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

I don't love the song. To be honest I think BP are really talented but it's being wasted on songs that largely sound the same. And not enough comebacks! It's disappointing. I like du ddu du ddu du a lot but then all their other songs sound similar to me....?

Blame_It_On_Lucas and Sadie Erso like this.
  14. Sadie Erso

Aug 3, 2020
    I have to agree... All of their songs do sound the same... "Lalisa" didn't sound any different to me... it sounded like a normal BP song. I was kinda disappointed it wasn't very different.

15. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Jan 29, 2004
    I think this is a very fair point. Ultimately they stick with what's safe. Teddy doesn't really write them songs that stretch them out of their comfort zone. I also agree that they are taking too long between comebacks. When their album came out last year, from my understanding, a lot of Blinks were supportive but expressed disappointment because it just collected prior singles and the new songs that were on it weren't so good that it made up for the wait. I feel like right now they're more taking advantage of their endorsements and solo ventures.

So question. For your favorite acts that you both named what's the 1 song you'd recommend for each?

Sadie Erso likes this.
  16. Sadie Erso

Aug 3, 2020
    TXT - Magic
    BTS - Dynamite
    Ahhh there's way too many that I love from them...
    (and I could go on and on for all the songs i love)

17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Hmm ok what kind of music do you like most? BTS especially has such a huge and varied discography. What do you like? Pop? Hip hop? R&B? Story songs, songs that are comforting, songs that hype you?

If you let me know what you like I'll recommend a song for each group I love.

Sadie Erso likes this.
  18. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Jan 29, 2004
    Oh yeah, what do you think of Permission to Dance? I think that's the first time I've seen their fanbase so divided over a new single (technically a B Side for Butter but Big Hit is really pushing out the English tracks to capitalize while the iron is hot with the casual western audience).

Sadie Erso likes this.
  19. Sadie Erso

Aug 3, 2020
    Well, er.... I honestly feel so [face_dunno][face_dunno][face_dunno] about it... Its hard to explain. Dynamite was so UNIQUE and Butter was too and then they just gave us PTD like any other American song. I feel like they kinda forced BTS into doing a Western vibes song.
    I personally love the songs when its in Korean. That's why the Western listeners listen to their music -- because its NOT American! lol
    PTD is..not my favorite.

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I like PTD. It's fun. But it's not near as good as Dynamite, which is not as good as Butter.

The tricky thing is, BTS have such a good Korean discography that it's a lot to live up to. None of their all English songs are among my top 20 even of theirs I think. Well maybe Butter. But it's not a slam on their English songs.... It's a testament to how great their other music is!

21. Sadie Erso

Aug 3, 2020
    I have to 100% agree with you!!! FINALLY I found someone to explain what I wanted to say!!!!!! LOL. Thank you for saying this because I could not even say/explain what i wanted to say.

22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    If they were a normal band, PTD might be a highlight. But because they are so good and write most of their own music (which they didn't do for PTD), it's better suited to them and deeper usually. PTD isn't horrible but it's not a highlight either. I do appreciate the sentiment behind it though.

23. Sadie Erso

Aug 3, 2020
    I wish I could give your last post a zillion likes.

24. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Jan 29, 2004
    I'm ordinarily a hip hop guy but I still haven't really adjusted to the Kpop hip hop sound especially from the boy bands. So I guess I'll say R&B as a start. For context, I love Magnetic by Rain and Jackson Wang.

Sadie Erso likes this.
  25. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    What’s everyone’s favorite cake pop recipe

That’s what this thread is for, right?