main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Karate Kid Saga & Cobra Kai

Discussion in 'Community' started by vin, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm just wondering if
    Terry Silver
    is going to be stealing the limelight from Kreese in Season 4.

Jedi Merkurian and Dark Ferus like this.
  2. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Doubtful. Though he is certainly more colorful.

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Cobra Kai Season 3- just finished it up. This show really is great. Not flawless, but damn good and funny. You expect all the thematic & character ties to the first two films, but the series is even giving some merit to the underwhelming third film of the original trilogy.

I think what I've loved about the show so far, even binging through all three seasons in one week (though it would have been two days if I hadn't been so busy this week), is that ends up delivering on everything you want to see even when you don't think you'll get it (my example: "It would be interesting to get a Kreese prequel one day", then cue the flashbacks!).

The recap flashbacks are a little overdone (but then the original films had extensive opening recaps, so it fits stylistically) and there's a strange fake-out in one of the subplots that I don't think was very necessary and ended up being more confusing than anything else. But minor nitpicks.

Maybe thinking about it the only other weird thing is the number of random encounters Johnny and Daniel have, despite seemingly not doing so for the past 30 years even though they lived in proximity to one another. It's not impossible, just a little weird.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  6. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Yikes, that was full of cringe.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Jumping back to Blind Wave's reaction to the Season 3 trailer, the segment where Eric spends 4 minutes trying to convince Aaron that it was Chozen in the trailer was something I didn't know I needed. [face_laugh]

"YES! That's how time works!" [face_laugh][face_laugh]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  8. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    Chozen's appearance was the highlight for me this season. Since this show began, I have dreamed of him returning, and all I could imagine is that he would be this villain who was so bitter and twisted over the fact that his honour had been so taken away from him, that he would surely team up with Kreese to get revenge on Daniel. I still thought that up to his appearance at the end of Episode 4. The subversion of his character was the most delightfully surprising and brilliant things that I have seen. His speech to Daniel where he talks about his great shame after losing the fight, and how he wanted to die, how his uncle Sato saved him, but sadly his regret was not quite so easy to overcome was just awesome. When he asked about Daniel's current rivalry problems also, it seemed to (a very hopeful) me like that might be a teaser that he may show up in future episodes. I would love that. I love the character, I loved the actor's performance.

And I just knew that Daniel was going to get the HONK nose move [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  9. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Kumiko's appearance was the highlight of the season for me; but I guess if Daniel was headed to Japan/Okinawa, it was a forgone conclusion that Chozen would be there too.

------------------------
    Sorry for the poor quality, but there was an interesting article in the local paper this past weekend. I knew Ralph Macchio was from Long Island, but had no idea that not only has the actress who plays his wife grown up here, she currently lives in Huntington, NY. That's maybe 15 minutes from where I live.

[​IMG]

10. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    One thing I think is hilarious is how well the show manages to handle love triangles better than most shows and movies.[face_laugh]

Most of the time I can’t stand love triangles; they feel like exercises in pointlessly stupid angst. Don’t get me wrong, that’s still here, but at least the show knows how to use it in a fun way.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm sure everyone and their mother assumed the introduction of Ali into the mix (especially given her storyline of recently splitting from her husband) had Johnny getting involved in a love triangle between her and Miguel's mom. I guess we'll see if Ali continues to have a role to play in Season 4.

12. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I am happy @Ahsoka's Tano they did not go that route. That would been so atypical and expected. The fact they go against the grain so often is what makes the show so great.

13. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    Surprised by how much of a kick I get out of the 3 nerdiest kids at school end up with the 3 popular girls

Demetri’s face when yas signs his cast is hilarious

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Daniel-san, this not MP3. This for real.

[​IMG]

15. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    KK2 had the best OST. None of the songs from any other iteration of the series was better than Glory of Love.

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    On the Soundtrack Show podcast, David W Collins covered "Karate Kid" (1984) and then he did a two part interview with the Zach Robinson and Leo Birenberg who scored "Cobra Kai". If you enjoy their arrangements, the two part interview is worth a listen.

KK2 is great, but I love KK soundtrack the most.

Speaking of Cobra Kai, I didn't know this but there's a video game that was released late last year? Might check that out on Twitch or something.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    The2ndQuest likes this.
  17. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I’m hoping that Yasmine becomes comfortable going public with Demitri. Maybe he becomes even more confident and gives her an ultimatum.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I saw someone link to The Soundtrack Show episode with KK a few weeks ago. Synced the episode up to clips from the movie to watch the restored music in context, very cool. Gonna go back and listen to the full episodes after I give these CDs a listen now that I have the set.

Then I checked out a few other episodes and got completely hooked on the show and have been devouring them this past week or so. Collins also showed on Dev Game Club last year during their extensive Republic Commando retrospective and interview series, so Collins has ended up playing a large role in my podcast listening this past year, heh.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    TiniTinyTony likes this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  20. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Finished season 2. I really like the show, but I definitely liked season one better. On to season 3. That season 2 finale was pretty cool. I see what you mean about the random encounters between Johnny and Daniel; and the way something bad happens every time they start to bond. A very fun show.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  21. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Season 4 teaser / character reveal

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The power of Cobra Kai is its ability to make one actually want to rewatch The Karate Kid Part III.

23. Kiki Jinn

Kiki Jinn Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2020
    Yes!
    BTW, my sensei’s favorite saying is, “Can’t see, can’t fight; can’t breathe, can’t fight; can’t walk, can’t fight.” Pretty close.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  24. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @TiniTinyTony I hope then
    Mike Barnes
    is a surprise guest character much like Ally was last season!

25. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Beat me to the karate punch

TiniTinyTony likes this.