main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Keeper of Memories~ "Dear Diary chlg," (OCs, L/M ) ~*~ Complete

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by divapilot, Jan 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Entry 35:

Our lives fell into a happy routine. Bruno and I lived at his apartment, mostly for romantic reasons. Bruno felt very awkward about being physically affectionate while my father was there in the apartment, and although it did not matter to me or to Father, we respected Bruno?s wishes.

We came back to the restaurant every day and worked long hours. Before long, Bruno was pursuing his grand master bartender certificate. I took over most of the clerical work involved in the restaurant, and my father relaxed. Of course, for Father, ?relaxing? meant that every morning, he came down to the restaurant and sat in his chair in the corner, pointing with his cane at things he did not like, looking over the menu and making subtle adjustments, and mostly, chatting with the regular guests.

About three months after our wedding, Father asked me to come with him to visit the healer. I was a little surprised; his visits to the healer were usually something he did by himself. Since it seemed important, I made arrangements for someone else to cover my responsibilities and set out to the medical facility with him.

We waited for quite some time for his cardiologist to see us. Finally, the young nurse ushered us into the cardiologist?s office. Soon the cardiologist, an older human man named Dr. Cowan, entered the room. Father introduced us, and we sat down. Dr. Cowan took out some data cards and began to arrange them on the desk. ?Has your father explained why I wanted you here today?? he asked.

My lekku twitched in surprise. ?No,? I answered. ?I did not know that this was your request. I thought Father just wanted company.?

Dr. Cowan pulled his lips tight, then let out a deep breath. ?Mrs. Maritin, I am afraid that the purpose of this visit is to tell you what options remain for Mr. Navarth at this point. His cardiac disease has progressed very far.? I turned to stare at Father. I knew he had been ill, and I knew that he was much weaker, but I did not know that it was this bad. Father stared at the desk, avoiding my gaze.

Dr. Cowan began to display images of my father?s heart. He pointed to enlargements, weaknesses, collapsed areas? I wasn?t listening. I was watching Father. He looked so old. I suddenly realized he had kept all this information away from me so as not to interfere with the joy of my wedding, and I blinked back tears.

?And that is the prognosis,? Dr. Cowan concluded.

I turned back to the doctor. ?I?m sorry? I did not hear you,? I said.

Dr. Cowan patiently repeated himself. ?Mr. Navarth?s situation, as I have explained, is beyond treatment at this point. There will be a steady decline in his ability to function, and inevitably a major coronary event will occur that will lead to a probable coma and death.?

I could not find my voice at first. Then, as if my voice were something I had to gather and force out of my mouth, I spoke. ?When? How long??

Father turned to me. ?Soon, Alida. Dr. Cowan feels that I have perhaps five, six weeks left.?

?Weeks?? I gasped. My head felt light. This wasn?t possible.

Dr. Cowan began to slide information across the table at me. ?There are a number of agencies that can help you with end-of-life issues,? he said kindly. ?I understand that this is a terribly stressful time for your family. It is important that you realize that your father and I have always known this time would come. I have been your father?s cardiologist for many years now, and I have come to respect and admire him as a friend. He has provided well for you and your husband, and he wanted to take care of this issue as much as possible for you, too. In fact, we are all here because he wanted me to tell you, Mrs. Maritin, in order to make it easier for you to understand. I am very sorry.?

?Father? Is ? is this true?? I said. I felt like a very little girl. Suddenly I needed my father desperately.

Father took my hand. I felt how thin and cold it was. ?Alida. My Alida. My ?Matchless Courage.? You will have to live up to your name, now more than ever. All I have wanted was to live

2. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Oh, Alida's dad! :( He's had a wonderful life, but it's so hard to let him go. I can't imagine how Alida is feeling... how he is feeling! [:D]

And Luke and Mara... I love Alida's prayer for them--it's so visual to me. And seeing Han coming by was a treat!

Excellent, gal!!

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I so totally felt for Alida. Her uncle is a cold one, that's for sure. Loved Han's coming over to share his concerns. Alida's warmth and her faith really come through. =D=

4. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!! I'm so sad about Alida's father, but I had a feeling this was coming. *sniff* Love how you wove in the events of VOTF through Han, Alida and Bruno's eyes. Won't they all be suprised when the two show up engaged??? [face_love]

Bravo, Sister-pilot! =D=

5. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Alida's father's poor health isn't a surprise, but still it's sad.

Luke and Mara I'm not worried about. In fact, I feel like pulling out Union to look for Bruno and Alida in with the wedding guests. Nice scene with Han, too.

Great job all around.

6. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Honestly, I have been sitting staring at my keyboard for probably five mintues trying to think of a response. The entire post resounded within me and I feel for Alida's grief and fear of loss. :( Her father telling her to be strong for him really made me tear up. Then to also incorporate this memory into the news of Luke and Mara's disappearance shows what a compassionate character she really is. I hope I have made some sense...:confused: As always you work is tied together perfectly. @};-

Beautiful. :)

7. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Bruno felt very awkward about being physically affectionate while my father was there in the apartment, and although it did not matter to me or to Father, we respected Bruno?s wishes.

Well, he adjusted as well as he could. Can't balme him though, fathers can be a fearful breed if you get involved with their daughters. ;)

Poor Alida, to loose her dad. At least she now has Bruno to share her giref. I think it would have been much worse, had she been alone when he died.

I loved Alida's pyraing. I could really see her there. :) I liked the red ribbon thing, and then she wrote Luke and Mara's names on one. It's probably the force telling her, those two need only one ribbon.;)
    Can't wait to see Alida's reation to their engagement.:D

Dabbonar.:mad:
    Somebody give him a kick in the lekku.[face_frustrated]

8. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Oh, the plot thickens...

9. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Awesome, awesome updates, my friend! =D= [:D]

You had me in tears at the end of ch. 34. Seriously. That was just sheer beauty and romance. @};- [face_love]

Ah, I was afraid that it was something like that with Alida's dad. :( But I'm so glad Ali and Bruno are there to take care of him.

And L/M are missing? That could be a good thing or a bad thing... [face_worried]

10. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Ginchy: Thank you! Yes, Alida?s dad is facing the inevitable. She will have to make it without him, but she'll never be alone as long as Bruno is there. [face_love] Glad you liked the touches!

Jade_Eyes: Thank you! Even though Alida?s uncle is a real .. you know what, she does have wonderful friends. Han is one of them. Alida depends on her friends, her love, and her faith to carry her through. [:D]

Jade_Pilot: Thanks! Yes, although it is sad, Alida?s dad?s condition was a long time coming. And yes, Luke and Mara are missing. But you know and I know it will be a happy ending!;)

Jedi-2B: Thank you very much! I?ve been working on this for so long, I think I would be annoyed if I didn?t see Alida and Bruno at the reception, too![face_dancing]

MirandaFair: Thank you so much for such a lovely reply. I?m honored that you felt so strongly about the post. [:D]

MsLanna: Thank you! Yes, even after getting married, Bruno still is too old-fashioned to feel comfortable making love to his wife when her father is around. [face_blush] I?m glad you liked the details of Alida?s faith. She is rock-solid when it comes to the things she believes in. [face_love]

As for the engagement, this is a little storm before the calm, I guess!

JadeLotus: Thank you! I?m glad you liked it.O:)

Jedi Trace: Thank you so much! I?m thrilled you liked chapter 34. I worked hard on that particular scene. If I could make removing a cap seem steamy, then I?m onto something. [face_laugh]

And Alida?s dad is failing, but yes, he has his ?children,? Alida and Bruno, to take care of him to the end. They are all blessed to have found each other. [:D]

L/M are missing, but not all who wander are lost?o_O

11. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Entry 36:

The days seem to have an unsettled silence about them now. Although our restaurant is busy as the holidays approach, I cannot seem to relax and enjoy these carefree days that lead to Fete Week. My friends are still missing.

We have not seen Han since he came to see us a few days ago. I am not surprised; I am sure there are far more important things for him to be doing. It was a generous kindness for him to stop in at all. As a result, however, we have no one to give us a reputable idea as to what has happened to Luke and Mara.

That is not to say that no one has shared their thoughts on the subject. Although none of the more respected news agencies have even mentioned it, the smaller holonews agencies are beginning to twitter with gossip. One sludge news agency presented a very dubious holo of Luke with a famous Devaronian beauty queen, and accompanied it with an outrageous story about their ?affair.? Another suggested that he was on a secret mission for Leia Organa Solo to help her advance politically.

And then there was the story about how Luke had died.

I was extremely disturbed by the callous way that this so-called news agency toyed with the public?s fears by leading the story with an ?eyewitness? account of Luke?s fighter crashing on Ossus. The story ran images of an unidentified craft exploding into flames, and then claimed to have evidence that a body identified as Luke Skywalker?s had been presented to the morgue at that city. They even had the gall to speculate as to who would take over the Jedi Academy now that Luke was no longer alive.

Bruno knew how upset this story made me. ?It?s not true, Alida,? he insisted. ?Don?t believe this. It isn?t verified, and it?s from an untrustworthy source.? He held me and reassured me.

It isn?t fair to do things like that to people, to play games with their emotions and to trample upon their hopes. It?s cruel. I don?t understand why someone would deliberately inflict the torment of losing someone on another person. I could never do that to someone else. I know how hard it is when someone you love dearly dies.

I do not think I am ready to lose someone to death again. I do not think I could ever be ready for that. The experience of losing my father ripped a hole in my heart that has never truly healed.

My father lay in the medwards for two weeks as his body began its inevitable deterioration. The medics and nurses and meddroids did everything to make him better, and then, when that proved futile, to make him comfortable. It was my honor to watch over him. My uncle had forbidden my mother to come to Coruscant, and my sister was unable to travel, being confined in the last weeks of her pregnancy. It was left to me to keep my father company as he began his journey to the ancestors. I came by every chance I had, but each time I came to see him, it was as if a little more of him was gone.

Finally one day came when my father did not look at me. His pupils were large and dark, and they stared at something that only the ancestors could see. I sat by his side and took his hand. It was swollen from the medication. When I squeezed it, there was no reaction. I leaned in close and gently trailed the end of my lekku across his own, but his once-handsome headtails simply lay there, atrophied. I bowed my head in despair.

The nurse came in and gently put his hand on my shoulder. I looked up. ?Will it be long?? I asked quietly.

He checked my father?s condition and shook his head. ?A few more hours,? he replied. Then he glanced at me sympathetically and left the room.

The tears began to gather in the corners of my eyes. I pulled out my comm and contacted Bruno. Soon, my husband arrived to keep vigil with me. All was silent except for the steady hum of the equipment which was maintaining my father?s breathing.

Too soon, the nurse returned. He checked the equipment and administered another sedative to my father. Then he turned to us. ?Doctor Cowan has asked to speak with you. He is on his way now,? he said.

I nodded dumbly. That coul

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh, now that was just spiteful!!! :mad: Countering the will that way. [face_frustrated]

Tisa's family picture, how adorable!!! :D Her husband was very gracious and I liked him acknowledging Bruno that way. :)

Foot, the scene with Alida in the medward. How devastating to have to also make the decision to stop life support, even though it's best... it's still heart-wrenching!!! I could feel her sense of grief, expecting her father to be around the restaraunt filling the place with his gentle warmth and wisdom.

Huggles to Alida and to diva!!!! [:D] I imagine that scene was hard to write as well. [:D] [face_love] [face_love]

13. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    [:D]

Oh, what a tough update to read. I can't imagine what Alida is going through, and being unable to be with her father's body as he's taken back home--how the loss of that closure must weigh on her.

I love that he left her Alida's, but Bruno's right. Her blasted uncle! What is going to happen to the place now?? [face_worried]

And Luke and Mara... Where, oh where, could they be? ;)

Love it, lady! =D= This story is truly just perfect.

14. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    Oh my land, Sister-pilot! I know how hard that was to write and it is truly a beautifully written chapter in your wonderful story. [:D]

Poor Alida! My heart just cries for all she's had to go through. But I know you, girl, it'll all work out in the end.

I just hope the uncle is somehow humiliated. Sorry, not very kind of me to say. But then the signs of an exceptional writer is when they can create a character that ellicits such strong emotion.

Bravo! =D= =D=

15. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Ouch...how much do they want to ruin Alida's life? And after such a tragedy!

This whole chapter was heartwrenching - beautifully written.

16. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Alida's uncle knows no bounds in the realm of mean spitefulness. Here's rooting for Alida and Bruno to triumph!

17. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    I'm still alive.
    Great update, but Dabbonar again.:mad:
    I am tempted to travel to Ryloth and give him some hurtful pieces of my mind. I'm just glad that he won't get it in the end.

18. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Jade_eyes: Thank you very much! Dabbonar?s pretty clearly a very selfish man who uses everyone, even his own family. Luckily Jarron and Bruno aren?t that way, too.[face_love]

The medward scene was planned a long time ago. I?m glad it sounded authentic. Thank you so much ? it was hard to put into words. [:D]

Ginchy: Thank you. It wasn?t too hard to predict what was going to happen; I didn?t want it to be a surprise so I had pretty much telegraphed it. But I?m pleased it was still emotional. O:)

And as for Luke and Mara? Well, they?re busy right now. But they will be back!;)

Jade_Pilot: Thank you, Jade_Pilot! It was one of those cases where I had this plot point in mind last January, and real life imitated. It means a lot that this scene rang true. Yes, Dabbonar is a mean one. But has he finally bitten off more than he can chew? Alida can take a lot, but don?t mess with her restaurant.[face_shame_on_you]

Jade_Lotus: Thank you so much for that lovely compliment! Alida and Bruno have had about enough of Uncle Know-It-All interfering in their lives. [face_beatup]

Jedi-2B: Thank you! Alida and Bruno are not giving up Alida?s Restaurant without a fight![face_not_talking]

MsLanna: Glad you are still with us! Thanks for replying. Yes, Dabbonar is up to his old selfish tricks. Anything to take advantage of others. [face_shame_on_you]

19. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Entry 37.

Wonderful news! Our prayers were answered and the generous goddess smiled. Mara and Luke are safe. Mara commed yesterday morning to say that they are back and that they would like to reserve their dining room to celebrate. She sounded exhausted. I cannot imagine what they have been through.

Mara told me that they had a very stressful mission, and that there were many changes because of it. (Luke appeared on the holonet later yesterday to say that they had been successful in their mission to retrieve an important document. He looked tired, but very happy.)

?We?re looking forward to recovering from the last few weeks,? she told me. ?Luke and I would really appreciate it if we could get at least one night to spend quietly before--? She stopped abruptly and frowned.

?Before?? I prompted.

A slow smile appeared on her lips. I almost thought she blushed.

Then I knew. She and Luke had resumed their relationship, but this time all the dark areas had been resolved. Mara turned to me and I could see the sparkle in her eyes. ?I have some news,? she said.

I was beaming. ?Shall I tell Bruno to get our best champagne?? I asked.

Mara broke into a wide grin. Then she put her finger to her lips. ?Don?t tell anyone,? she cautioned. ?Once the media gets ahold of this, they?ll never let us alone.?

?Mara, you should know by now that discretion is the mark of our establishment,? I laughingly told her. ?We are honored that you would come here. Please, let me have the privilege of arranging a beautiful room for you two.?

?That would be perfect,? Mara said. ?We?ll be over two nights from now.?

I reviewed the schedule in my head. Two nights later, a small party for a Duros ambassador was scheduled. I surmised that if I offered the barroom, and added a complimentary second course and reduced the bar price, he would be willing to forego the private dining alcove. We could shut the bar down for the evening. In fact, I reasoned, he could invite more people to his party if it were held in the bar, and we might make up the cost in added bar tabs.

?Come by any time,? I said. ?I will make sure that this is an evening to remember.?

I was so happy that, after ending the comm, I went directly over to the bar to tell Bruno. He had just finish serving a drink to a patron, an overdressed human whose exaggerated Coruscanti mannerisms clearly marked him as a tourist. I came over to Bruno and hugged him, then kissed him soundly on the cheek.

He was unprepared for my spontaneous joy, and stepped back in surprise before returning the hug. ?What?s this?? he asked.

I squeezed him again. ?Our friends are back!? I said delightedly. Then I paused, bringing my fingertips to my lips. ?I have so much to do!? I said. I laughed and left him there as I headed toward the office.

I had only gotten to the doorway to the back hall when I heard the tourist speak to Bruno. (Twi?leki hearing is very good, and humans often forget that.) ?That?s one good-looking Twi?lek you got there, bartender.? The tourist laughed haughtily. ?I bet that girl?s a real little firecracker. Wonder if she?d be interested in spending the night on the town with me??

I waited.

Sure enough, the bar got very quiet. I peeked around the corner, where I knew I could see them but they would not see me. The tourist?s cocky grin faded as Bruno slowly approached. Then Bruno put his hands flat on the bar, his arm muscles bulging. He spoke in a low, deliberate tone. ?That ?firecracker? is my wife,? he said.

The tourist fumbled with his drink. ?Sorry, buddy,? he said, gulping. ?I -- I didn?t know--?

Bruno leaned in and the man shrank. ?Get out. No one disrespects my wife,? Bruno growled. The man paused for a moment, as if considering the situation. Then he took his things and left. Bruno cleaned up the man?s spilled drink. I smiled to myself. Father was so very right about him. Bruno has always defended me, and I know he always will.

That?s not to say that it has been easy for Bruno. When Father died, Bruno had to deal with the arrange

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Loved Ali's and Mara's conversation and of course Mara's news!!! SQUEE! Alida's beyond description in seeking out Bontran's assistance. He was never harsh to her... but it would have been so easy to try to find someone else who'd help, but she's not a proud person, but one of humility and courage. [face_love] [face_love] Loved Bruno throwing that numbwit out of the bar [face_laugh] :)

21. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    WHAT A SHOCKER!!! I absolutley did NOT see that coming. So now Bontran has an opportunity to redeem himself. Love the plot twist, Sister-pilot!

Bravo! =D=

22. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Good news and bad news all in one post.
    I'm glad Luke and Mara are back. Seeing their little private celebration will be a treat.:D
    the best champagne ist just barely good enough, I'd say.

And hiring Bontran might hurt Bruno, but it's a good choice. if the Twi'Lek see that the man she didn't marry still helps her, it might help Alida'S case and hopefully throw some doubt on Dabbonar.
    Though I'd throw very different things. [face_whistling]

23. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Having Bontran defend them is quite the twist! And since we know they still have the restaurant, and are still happily married, we know it works out. :D

And we know how L&M return safely from Nirauan -- because Alida prayed to the Guardian for them!

Great chapter.

24. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Loved the twist here, divapilot! Bontran was probably the last person I had expected to reappear in the story, and it will be interesting to see how Alida, Bruno and Bontran interact now. And I definitely agree with everybody who loved Bruno throwing the "overdressed tourist" out of the bar. [face_laugh]

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  25. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Wonderful, wonderful chapters, my friend!

The passing of Alida's father was so sad, yet peaceful, and beautifully written. @};- I just love how Bruno handled all the family business for her and now his determination not to lose her father's bar. [face_love]

Loved the family holo scene with the new baby. @};- And I'm surprised the mouthy tourist got off as easy as he did. Bruno must've been feeling generous. [face_mischief] ;)

Mah-velous! [:D]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.