main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge The Kessel Run | 12 Weeks, 11 Writing Prompts, 1 Wild Fanfic Challenge | Thanks for a great Run!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by ViariSkywalker , Jan 1, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    My Week 6 story is up: Unreliable Allies.

Hope @rktho and @Chyntuck and everyone else dealing with health issues feels better soon. It's tough not feeling your best. :(

2. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    Forgot to post the link for my Week 6 story: "Between the Moon and the Stars"

I still have to post parts two and three, which I hope to do before tomorrow night's deadline! :p

3. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    Here we are again: another Monday, another prompt for the Kessel Run! As a reminder, you still have until tonight at 11:59pm EST to post your week 6 fics; but in the meantime, let's see what our next writing challenge is going to be...

* * Week 7 * *

• Write a story between 100 and 1,000 words that is entirely introspection. No spoken dialogue, no action.
    • Word limit = 100-1,000 words
    • Entries due Monday, February 28th at 11:59pm EST

Look at that, I told you the word counts would ease up a little. ;) You have one week to write and post your fics, and if you have any questions, please ask!

...though if you ask me any questions today, it might take me a little while to get back to you, because I'll be writing like the wind to finish up my week 6 story. 8-}

~~

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
  4. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    You can go ahead and laugh, but I somehow managed to write a good 11k words between my two responses and now I am dead. I can't even tell what's a typo and what's not at this point. Words hold no more meaning for me, they just exist! [face_hypnotized] 8-}

So, um, coming in at the very last minute, I have Week 6 up in both The Courage of Stars and Love Betters What is Best.

. . . needless to say, I am rather grateful for the word cap this week! ;) [face_laugh] :oops:

5. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I have some ideas for this week's challenge from many different fandoms.

6. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    @ViariSkywalker I like the looks of this prompt and think it will generate some very interesting work! One question, though, if I may: what exactly counts as “action” for the purposes of this prompt? Could the character look around him- or herself, look at something he/she is holding, etc., that kind of thing? Or is there to be zero reference whatsoever to motions or actions in the outer world? Some clarification there would help—thanks much! :)

7. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    I still say you're both mad :p

Week seven is up: Fatherhood

8. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Okay, so I thought I was going to have a simple answer to this, but I'm afraid I might end up making it more complicated, so sorry if I do!

Basically, it's fine if your character is doing something throughout the story - for example, they could be running away from someone, or piloting a starship, or eating their dinner, etc. - but you're not really going to describe what they're doing, other than referring to it incidentally. What you're focusing on is the introspection, the character's thoughts about what they experience, which can include observations that might also (again) encompass some actions. But the point is never to describe your character or the characters around them doing anything, even though we the audience are aware that they are doing things.

Ultimately, you'll have to use your best judgment here, and if you're unsure how to proceed, then I would err on the side of caution and include as little incidental action in the story as possible. See how deeply introspective you can get. Again, a lot of this will be a personal and stylistic judgment call, and there are many ways to handle it without being wrong.

Lol, I'm right behind you at 10k, and my fingers are sore, and I still have to actually finish the last part of my story 8-} and wow that's a lot words in seven days, I haven't written this much this furiously since I wrote TLotD. [face_thinking] So thank you for my crazy prompt! [face_laugh]

:eek: :eek:

Did you ever think you'd see the day? :p [face_laugh]

[​IMG]

Also, I posted part two of my Week 6 fic, "Between the Moon and the Stars", and that's going to be all I've got before the deadline in, oh... nine minutes? I managed to fulfill my prompt parameters, though, so I'm pleased with that, and I'll get the last part posted soon! [face_relieved]

9. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    HOW? [face_hypnotized]

Seriously, as someone who's always tended towards the shorter stuff, I've always wondered how some writers write that much. Especially in one week. Even back in the day when life was a little easier I don't think I ever wrote that much. :p I'm not trying to be snarky or anything, either, I'm just genuinely so amazed and impressed by longfic authors! [face_love]

Also, congrats to everyone who's gotten this far in the challenge! And I hope those of you who are dealing with health or other issues feel better and that life gets easier for you. [:D]

10. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    *whispers* they're mad :p

11. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    I know, right? ;)

I realized I never officially said that I was taking my bye week last week :p My AU is taking a lot longer than I anticipated, what with one thing and another.

12. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I have a really good idea for my story for this week, but I have a couple of concerns about it being eligible. I want to include part of some galactic version of an IFPS (basically an IEP for infants and toddlers), and have the introspection coming from a character who is trying to figure out what to write. This is a bit personal for me, so I wanted to explore this a bit.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
  13. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
  14. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    My week 7 story is all about what I see each day and is sometimes a real nuisance after a storm like Dudley, Eunice or Franklin and it is
    Sand

15. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    My Week 6 Moral Alignment AU is (finally) done: Taungsday Night at Okadiah’s, featuring an alternate version of Hera Syndulla, Now to rapidly switch gears for some introspection :p

16. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    And my entry is up Forbidden Love
    Thankfully far lighter than last week again. :)

17. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
  18. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    I might have neglected to be a responsible adult at various points throughout that week. [face_whistling]

To be honest, I'm not even sure how it happens. :p [face_laugh] I don't usually write that much in such a short time, but sometimes when an idea is incredibly vivid and mapped out in my head, my brain is like "you must write everything down before you lose it!" And when I say mapped out, I don't mean that every plot point is clear from the beginning; it's more like I'll see the beginning and the end of the story really clearly, and maybe a couple of things in the middle, but the rest is sort of revealed as I write, so the faster I write, the quicker I get to find out how it all unfolds! (If that makes any sense? 8-})

But in this case, it probably had something to do with the prompts Mira gave me perfectly coinciding with a scene or two that I had already had in mind for the characters, and with no word limit my muse just went crazy. :p

8-} :*

Lol, I actually had already marked you down as taking the bye week for that one, so you're all good there! ;)

Sounds like your idea is perfectly suited to some introspective writing! ;) Good luck!

And whoa, where did this week even go? The new prompt will be up in about eight hours![face_dancing]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
  19. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    We're inching closer to the finish line! You still have until tonight at 11:59pm EST to get your Week 7 stories posted. And if you’ve already finished, it's time to move on to our next prompt!

* * Week 8 * *

• Write a story of at least 400 words from the POV of a character you hate/dislike and make them sympathetic.
    • Minimum 400 words, no maximum limit
    • Entries due Monday, March 7th at 11:59pm EST

You guys know the drill: you have one week to post your responses, and if you have any questions, post them here or send me a PM! ;) Let's see if you can dig into those characters you loathe and show the world why maybe they're not so bad after all... [face_mischief]

~~

20. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Well just did that in one of my stories... not to mention it being litterally the story of Ulrika as a character. But I have an idea...

21. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    Does it have to be the canon version of the character, or can it be an AU?

22. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    I suspect that would make things too easy... sadly.

23. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    I see what you're doing there with that no maximum word limit, and I'm not falling for it again, I tell you. No, I most certainly am not. :p

(Nor am I writing about certain characters that shall not be named . . . because obviously. [face_not_talking])

24. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Either is fine, just as long as it's a character you genuinely dislike!

[face_whistling]

[face_laugh] I swear I came up with this prompt way before you started writing your S&S fics, but now I'm sort of curious to know how you'd tackle that. [face_thinking] Of course, there's always Fanny...

25. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    OK, I'm guessing there is some in-joke or other at work here, and you two have got me all curious as to what this is about...! :D

As for me, I really, really have to think about this one. There are not many characters I outright dislike, but I have my reasons for disliking the ones I do. I have a few quarter-baked ideas, but it's also possible I may end up using the "get out of jail free" prompt this time around. We shall see, I guess!