main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge The Kessel Run 2023 | 12 Weeks, 11 Prompts, 1 Wild Fanfic Challenge | Thanks for another great Run!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by ViariSkywalker, Jan 2, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    *Notes classic evil laughing gif, and considers self duly warned.*

And my Week Two entry is up: Notes from the Labyrinth

2. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    I'm sure it isn't as bad as my cackling gif choice made it seem... [face_whistling]

Well, we've made it through another week, and I have to say, you guys are all crushing it. ;) As a reminder, you have until tonight at 11:59pm EST to post your Week 2 fics. In the meantime, here's the next prompt!

* * Week 3 * *
    • Write a story between 500 and 1,000 words in which you make up a new OC (original character). Your OC must interact with at least one EC (established character), and your story must include the following line of dialogue: “Something was bound to go right sometime today.”
    • Word limit = 500-1,000 words
    • Entries due Monday, January 30th at 11:59pm EST

That's right, friends - we're making brand new OCs this week. [face_mischief] Whether you're an OC fanatic or an EC purist, you get to flex your creative muscles and show us what you've got. Your new OC does not have to be the POV character, but they should still be someone of significance to the story, not merely a background character. Please note that this week's required sentence is a line of dialogue, so it should be spoken by someone in your story. Your Week 3 fics are due one week from today, and as always, if you have any questions about the prompt, please ask! Good luck with your OC creations, and have fun! [face_batting]

~~

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  3. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Ah, you all know me and OCs! I intend to have some fun with this one. :D

pronker, amidalachick, Kahara and 8 others like this.
  4. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    I think I got off fairly easy with the challenges from the first two weeks, but I have never in my life really fleshed out an OC - so this will be a harder one for me. :p I'll probably leave the confines of the DE timeline, but I'll figure it out. [face_laugh]

5. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    You know, I was just thinking to myself that I need to be braver when it comes to writing OCs - especially when we have so many amazing OCs on the boards from so many fantastic authors as it is - and then here's this shiny prompt pushing me out of my comfort zone to do just that. Challenge accepted. :cool:

I see what you did there and I love it! [face_mischief] [face_love]

6. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Oh dear, @ViariSkywalker, what are you doing to me? Suddenly all the spare OCs I exiled to the dungeons of my mind are rattling the doors of their cells and shouting: "Me! Me! Write me!"

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  7. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
  8. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Whoo, I finished Week 2! [face_dancing]

Here's some moments of BB-8 pondering things on the go in Messenger . :bb8:

9. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  10. UltramassiveUbersue

UltramassiveUbersue Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2022
    Here's Week #3: "First Mission", another fic featuring Imperial-era Mara Jade.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    Vek Talis, pronker, Kahara and 5 others like this.
  11. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    I have to take my bye week for this one. It should be interesting, though, and I can't wait to read the results! :D

And just a quick question, does the bye week mean I can only post my Week 3 fic during Week 11 or can I post it sooner if I happen to finish it? Thanks so much! :)

Vek Talis, pronker, Kahara and 6 others like this.
  12. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    You can absolutely post it sooner if you finish it before Week 11! :)

Vek Talis, pronker, Kahara and 6 others like this.
  13. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
  14. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
  15. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Week 3 done! Quinlan Vos is back to deal with a nasty OC in The Bad Jedi.

16. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Well, darn it, I promised myself I wasn't going to time jump and add any more kids to my giant honkin' multi-generational AU...and then this challenge came along...

I have no will-power :p

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  17. vader_incarnate

Jul 29, 2002
    Let me just tell you that this whole OC challenge has been four false starts so far including
    1. Dr. Ariadne Thule, a philosopher and university adjunct professor who once wrote a dissertation about the topic of optimistic nihilism
    2. Lieutenant "Lucky" Sam Dannel, so called because he once told Vader bad news and somehow didn't die
    3. Weejun, an Ewok wiseman
    4. Alpheanea Nikke, Darth Vader's long-suffering secretary who helps with the flimsiwork and is not paid nearly enough for this shavit
    And I still still still have no idea what I'm writing for this challenge, which is extremely challenging for me (so, props) especially because the first two weeks were extremely quick. I just have so many ideas? And weirdly the challenge of including a new OC just unleashed so many more ideas, and really I should just narrow it down and pick one, but how, also what about that idea over there?

ANYWAY I'm gonna keep trying. :p

Please enjoy this gif, which is approximately how my brain is feeling:

[​IMG]

18. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    YES PLZ? :D

Or all of them at once? (Sorry, sorry, I know this struggle too well and am no help. [face_laugh])

19. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Hahaha @vader_incarnate. Welcome to the OC side, we don't have cookies but we have chaos (I mean, just look at @Raissa Baiard!)

I second @Kahara that you should try all of them at once, although that would probably only work if it were a group therapy session.

20. UltramassiveUbersue

Nov 7, 2022
    @vader_incarnate - If you're still having trouble choosing, can we choose for you? Because I really want to read #4. :D

21. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    SECONDED!!! [:D] [:D]

THIRDED!!! YOU CAN DO IT, ELLI, I BELIEVE IN YOU!!! [face_batting] [face_mischief] [face_whistling]

As for myself, I am pleased to present my new OC for Week Three in Deniel and the No Good Very Bad Day. [face_love]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
  22. vader_incarnate

Jul 29, 2002
    I need you to know that she's a very professional, highly efficient, ruthlessly organized grandmotherly type who is also inordinately fond of the giant lost Sith Lord she has accidentally adopted, and sometimes she tries to get him to take care of himself with mixed results, and one time she straight up lied to Palpatine's giant wrinkly holographic face that Vader was unavailable because she could sense that he needed a break - and I LOVE HER SO MUCH and can't possibly tell her story in less than 1k words, I am incredibly verbose. :p

So I wrote out (2) instead. [face_peace] It was the only one in keeping with my extant Dark Empire missing moments theme. :p Meet Lieutenant "Lucky" Sam Dannel, who's far luckier than he knows.

Vi, I'll have you know that that was incredibly difficult, do you have any idea how few words 1000 words is. 8-} That's only A THOUSAND of them.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
  23. UltramassiveUbersue

Nov 7, 2022
    [face_laugh] Love it! Vader's office grandma sounds like so much fun! I look forward to reading it when you post it. :)

No kidding on the 1000 words being so hard. Here I was thinking I only had to be a ruthless editor for the drabble challenge. Nope.

24. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Aw, look at all your brand-new OCs, and only two days into this week's challenge! *so proud* :D

[face_mischief] [face_whistling]

[face_rofl]

While we're diving into decades-old in-jokes, here, have a fish:

[​IMG]

[face_batting]

25. vader_incarnate

Jul 29, 2002
    YEESSSSS I will treasure him. [face_love]:*

[​IMG]