main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge The Kessel Run 2023 | 12 Weeks, 11 Prompts, 1 Wild Fanfic Challenge | Thanks for another great Run!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by ViariSkywalker, Jan 2, 2023.

Tags:
  1. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    Mood. This is the tagline to my life though, honestly. Alongside, "am I overthinking this?"

Just as much emotional whiplash as my drabble thread, now with more words :p

You don't have words now but you're going to have SO MANY WORDS, ALL OF THE WORDS

2. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Chosen One star 4

Aug 9, 2002
    Oh, I forgot to say... technically speaking, Decathlon of Death wasn't even the title; it was more like a subtitle or an endearing nickname. [face_batting]

Nothing! That's what I loved about doing this last year, you could try to make everything fit into a certain narrative, or you could just write a grab bag of characters and eras and fandoms, and there really wasn't a way to go wrong! :D

I have no doubt. [face_laugh] You gave me some tough ones last year, believe me! [face_relieved]:p [face_love]

Far be it from me to ever put limits on what you can accomplish. [:D] You know I'm looking forward to everything you write for this challenge, and you know I'll enjoy the heck out of a Song!verse thread. [face_batting]

Four more days! [face_dancing]

I fully support this! [face_mischief]

Don't forget, "Why am I like this?" :p (Hmm, that might be my tagline... [face_thinking])

3. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    My den mother side wants to tell you that one thread is fine, you maniac. My reader side says, "Have you thought about three?" [face_batting] But Song!verse is an excellent choice, I need more Mara and Maul [face_love]

[​IMG]

And why was that? Hmm, let me think - oh yeah, because every installment contained DEATH. This is why I'm pushing for a great big ball of sunshine KR thread from you. Think of it as a way to make up for the VIVISECTION you made me beta read [face_skull]

Ack, I still have to think of a title. Oh, Miiiirrrrraaaaa [face_batting]

Yeah, you can share it, it's fully applicable to both o_O :*

4. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    THIS. Just know that you will balance the scales with some delightfully happy fic this year if we have anything to say about it. I mean, even Elli is giving us cracktastic cat!Vader between the murder and mayhem. [face_mischief] [face_batting] [face_whistling]

I still vote for more Regency AU, too, in this challenge or soon thereafter.

[face_laugh] o_O

[​IMG]

[face_laugh] Don't tempt me - my muse is like a hobbit at the dinner table (or pub bar :p) when it comes to wanting to write all of the words. [face_mischief] 8-}

Aw, thanks! I already have SO MANY IDEAS, especially for Maul and Mara, and I can't wait to see what gems the prompts inspire that aren't even on my radar yet. [face_love]

I'M ON IT!! STANDBY FOR A PM!! :cool: :p

[:D]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
  5. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aren't you glad I figured out the gifs? :D

6. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    "Sign me up," typed the madwoman.

Though I have this feeling I'll be making use of the "bye week" on week one...

7. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Another madwoman here, please sign me up with the same caveat as Pandora ;)

A question: would it be OK to keep going in the same Kessel Run thread as last year, since I'll be writing in the same 'verse?

P.S. So glad both to be back and to see this challenge running again! Thanks @ViariSkywalker !

Sent from my SM-T225 using Tapatalk

8. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    [​IMG]

What a weirdly wholesome threat. [face_laugh]

Hey, I gave you a semi-cracktastic murder droid and chaos twins adventure! [face_batting]

[face_laugh] [:D]

I guess we'll have to see what ideas spark.

We welcome any and all madwomen. ;) [face_mischief] (And mad people in general, we're not picky o_O)

Lol, you got it! :p ;)

So I did actually consider whether to make an exception for existing Kessel Run threads, but ultimately I decided everyone should start this year's challenge fresh, with a brand new thread for 2023. :)

You're very welcome, and glad to have you back! :D

Sign-ups are updated... anyone else want to throw their hat in the ring? [face_mischief]

9. vader_incarnate

Jul 29, 2002
    That one comes up sometimes, too. [face_laugh] Though usually I can track down where the "like this" thought came from, so the why sometimes answers itself [face_thinking]

I love enjoying "why are we like this" things with you tho [:D][:D]

:mara: :maul: !!!

To be fair, I have not yet fully mined the unexpected angst of cat!Vader. I have a lot of sad Vader headcanons to share. [face_batting]

Wholeheartedly agree; I'm simultaneously charmed and frightened. [face_laugh]

10. UltramassiveUbersue

UltramassiveUbersue Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2022
    Now that I've just finished the challenge I was working on, sign me up! Woot!

11. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Me too! [face_laugh] [:D]

Awesome, you're on the list! :D

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  12. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Sign me up! I've gotta get writing again!!

13. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Excellent, I've added you! :D

14. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Good morning, everyone! It’s January 9th, and that means it’s time for the Kessel Run to begin! [face_dancing] As this is the first week of the challenge, I have not one, but three prompts for you:
    1. The long vignette (2,000+ words) that is due at the very end of the challenge;
    2. The “get out of jail free” substitute prompt that can be used in place of any one of the weekly prompts;
    3. The secret prompt for Week 1!

Ready? Here we go…

Long vignette
    (2,000+ words)

Over the next twelve weeks, you will write a story using a reverse narrative, or a backwards story. This could be a story where the final events occur first and the first events occur last, or it could be a story where time literally flows backward rather than forward. However you decide to construct your narrative, the end is the beginning and the beginning is the end.
    • Word limit = minimum 2,000 words, no maximum limit
    • Entries due Monday, April 3rd at 11:59pm EST
    For more information about this style of storytelling and some examples, check out this definition of reverse chronology. If you have any questions about how to write for this prompt, don’t hesitate to ask. You have the next twelve weeks to craft your response, so be creative and have fun!

“Get out of jail free” prompt
    (you may use this as a substitute for one of the weekly prompts)
    • Write a poem in any style, of any length. There is no word limit.
    • Yep, I kept it simple this year. Besides, you might not even have to use it. [face_whistling]
    • [face_mischief]

And now, on to the first secret prompt!

* * Week 1 * *
    • Write a story between 100 and 1,000 words that:
      • starts with this sentence: “He had not been courageous.”
      • uses this picture as inspiration:
        [​IMG]
    • Word limit = 100-1,000 words
    • Entries due Monday, January 16th at 11:59pm EST

And that’s it for this week, guys! Your Week 1 fics are due one week from today! Remember to post your entries in a new thread created for this year’s Kessel Run challenge, and then come back and post a link in this thread! If you have any questions, feel free to post them here or send me a PM. Happy writing, and I’ll see you all back here next Monday for your next prompt! ;) [face_batting]

Let the Kessel Run begin!
    :falcon:

[​IMG]

15. vader_incarnate

Jul 29, 2002
    Less than a thousand words is so hard when you're grotesquely verbose. [face_laugh] I'll do it but I won't be happy about it. [face_not_talking]

:p I'll actually be quite happy about it, because I'm so excited, KESSEL RUN KESSEL RUN

16. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Elli took the words right out of my mouth! Last time around, this challenge had me both cursing at and grateful for word limits by turns. I'll know where I stand on this particular prompt by the end of the week. :p

One tiny thing, though: should we be worried that poetry is the "get out of jail free card"? WHAT DO YOU HAVE PLANNED THAT POETRY IS THE EASY WAY OUT?? The final vignette prompt is absolutely GORGEOUS, at the very least, and I can't wait to see how it's interpreted by the talented folks we have signed up already!

That said, my brain is mostly just an overwhelming sense of yay KR at the moment!!! BRING IT ON, VI, WE'RE READY!!! [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

17. UltramassiveUbersue

Nov 7, 2022
  18. vader_incarnate

Jul 29, 2002
    *bounds into the thread holding a pet carrier, from which ominous snarling sounds are emanating*

Look! I caught one! I caught a plot bunny! I -

*recoils sharply as claws (that seem proportionally too long for something that fits into such a small carrier) lash out, narrowly missing her face*

Eeep! That was close.

I'm not actually sure it's a bunny, exactly, but it's a plot something.

bounds off towards word processor window, carrying the plot something in the carrier along with her at a more careful arms length*

19. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    OH MY GOD, VI

I've been meaning to write one of these for fifteen years, and now I actually have to do it, thanks so much :p

[​IMG]

Hmm hmm hmm

The absolute best summary of this process that I've ever seen :p

20. Vek Talis

Vek Talis Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2018
    All right. You've convinced me. I'll do it. (slaps his face in the mirror). Yeah, I'm saying it. Let's do this.

21. UltramassiveUbersue

Nov 7, 2022
    Welcome to the insanity! :)

22. Vek Talis

Vek Talis Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2018
  23. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    And here's my first response: Bravery, featuring Luke and Ben Skywalker :luke:

24. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
  25. UltramassiveUbersue

Nov 7, 2022
    My first post of Rumours and Speculations! Week#1: Optics.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023