main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge The Kessel Run 2023 | 12 Weeks, 11 Prompts, 1 Wild Fanfic Challenge | Thanks for another great Run!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by ViariSkywalker, Jan 2, 2023.

Tags:
  1. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    My entry for Week 2 is posted in my Odds and Ends thread.

It was my first experience writing a fic in second person, and I have to say that I found the experiment in style really rewarding:D

I love when challenges push me outside of my comfort zone and make me grow as a writer[face_dancing]

2. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Decently under the wire is a Star Wars thread for #1 here.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
  3. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Week two is up: Exploration, featuring Alaine, Corissa, and Julian Vasseron [face_cowboy]

4. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
  5. Vek Talis

Vek Talis Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2018
  6. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
  7. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
  8. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    [​IMG]

9. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Week 2 is here with lost family starring Dooku and his master Thame Cerulian

10. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Ouch. This is going to be a difficult one for me.

See, a long time ago, in a classroom far far away, I was made to read twice, by two different teachers, in two consecutive years, a French novel called "La Modification" by Michel Butor.

I loathe that book. It's the worst of what modern French literature has to offer in terms of intellectual snobbery -- and don't get me wrong, I normally love all sorts of French literature, but this... ugh. Three hundred pages of an uninteresting, pointless intellectual exercise under the guise of literature.

And it's three hundred pages of that poodoo written FROM A SECOND PERSON POV.

So yeah, my relationship with the second person POV is... complicated. Actually, "unfriendly" would be a more accurate yet still polite way of putting it.

I'm still going to try to come up with something, but I am considering taking the Get Out of Jail option this week. And given that I'm terrified of even thinking of writing poetry in any language other than Greek, that's not going to be easy either.

Did someone say something about getting out of our writing comfort zone? [face_whistling]

Sent from my SM-T225 using Tapatalk

11. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    Not sure what country you're in, but as an American high school student back in the day, we had to make a jump from the equivalent of "See Spot Run" to Camus' "The Stranger" over the course of French 3 and French 4, and I will never forget or forgive that particular curriculum choice.

... or you could write it in the style of a Greek epic?? Which I wasn't aware was a thing I wanted in Star Wars fanfic until right this moment, but there's this book on Amazon that tells the OT in that style, so the GFFA works in this medium!

Is this helping at all? :p

pronker, amidalachick, Kahara and 7 others like this.
  12. UltramassiveUbersue

UltramassiveUbersue Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2022
    @Chyntuck I'm pretty sure my Get Out of Jail week is going to be a haiku, and I'm not even ashamed! :p

I've just posted Week 2: "This Is Fine", featuring Mara Jade ranting to herself because she was this close to killing Luke and now there's a sarlacc trying to eat her foot.

I'm not sure if it's true 2nd person POV though, even though her internal monologue is so judgemental that it never says, "I".

Does a character hosting a Dungeons & Dragons game count as 2nd person POV?

*edit: It was hubris to think I can spell sarlacc without verifying it on Wookieepedia.[face_blush]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
    pronker, amidalachick, Kahara and 7 others like this.
  13. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Ha! I wouldn't have liked that either, even though I love "The Stranger". Here in Greece learning foreign languages is one of the few things we do well (which is lucky, we wouldn't be able to communicate with the rest of the world if we didn't) and I continued taking French classes in the French Cultural Centre in Athens when I was in uni and already fairly fluent. That's when "La Modification" turned up in my life, so my hatred for the book is really about the book itself [face_beatup]

About writing in the style of an Ancient Greek epic – yeah, that's definitely something I could do, but in Greek. My husband has an incredible talent for this sort of thing, there was one evening a while back when he improvised a few lines of SW-based Byzantine psalm. In his defence, we were on the nth bottle of wine.

Ooooh, a haiku! I hadn't thought of that! I do already have an idea that's a bit longer than a haiku, but barely just. If it doesn't work out, a haiku it will be! :D

14. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    If you're interested in something a bit longer than a haiku, perhaps you might try the tanka?

15. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    Week 2 is up!

I just want to say, this week's prompt pushed me waaaaay outside my comfort zone, and that helped me get past my perfectionism enough to actually post the story. It also inspired me to write a happy fluffy ficlet of a certain genre to make up for it. :p It's not something I intend to polish up or post anywhere, but it is something that, last time I tried writing that sort of fic, I ended up having an anxiety attack and muse-crushing self doubt over.

So, @ViariSkywalker, thank you again for hosting this challenge and inspiring us all! I can't wait to see what's next. :)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
    pronker, Kahara, Mira_Jade and 7 others like this.
  16. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    So. I got out of jail, and I wrote "poetry". It's not a haiku. It's not even a tanka (thanks for that btw @Pandora, I'm keeping it for future reference).

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Wookiee version of The Cuppycake Song in The Sibling Day Singing Card!

17. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Both of my Week Two entries are up. :) For some reason I fall into present tense when writing a second-person POV.

18. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
  19. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Here's my week 2 entry, Force Bond, featuring the Super Evil Chaos Twins of Evil [face_mischief]

We still have four days left until our next deadline, and you guys continue to be awesome as you work through these prompts! The index should be updated with everyone's threads, but if I am missing someone, please let me know! [:D]

I saw what you did there. [face_tee_hee]

You're so very welcome! I can't wait to see what you all do with the rest of the prompts! :D

I read something about second-person that described it as being more immediate and honest than first-person (ymmv), and I wonder if that plays a part in it? But also in first-person you can write in past tense and give things a sense of permanence, of having already happened; whereas in second-person, past tense feels sort of unnatural because "you" don't currently exist in the past tense, "you" are always in the present, every moment you experience is the present. I'm not even sure if that makes sense, and I might just be rambling, but your comment made me think about it a little deeper. [face_thinking]

20. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
  21. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    My entry for Week 2 is up: Lost Without You, featuring Sabine thinking about Ezra five years after he disappears.

22. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    I have posted my Week Two entry, The Lost World, featuring Leia and Anakin Skywalker. [face_love]

23. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    @pronker @Raissa Baiard @Mira_Jade - Excellent work! :D

If you haven't finished your week 2 fics yet, you have a little over one day left to get those in! I'll be back tomorrow with the next prompt. [face_mischief] [face_batting]

24. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    [face_nail_biting]

25. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002