main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge The Kessel Run 2023 | 12 Weeks, 11 Prompts, 1 Wild Fanfic Challenge | Thanks for another great Run!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by ViariSkywalker , Jan 2, 2023.

Tags:
  1. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    Happy New Year, everyone! 2022 has come to a close, and that means it’s time to kick off 2023 with the return of a challenge so extreme, it had @Mira_Jade begging for word limits. So whether you’ve made a resolution to write more this year or you just want to have some fun and win some colors (and possibly make the head admin shed some very manly tears), I invite you to join me for…

The Kessel Run!
    * * 2023 * *

[​IMG]

Welcome to the Kessel Run, a fast-paced fanfic challenge worthy of the Millennium Falcon itself! Over the next twelve weeks, you’ll be pushed to your writing limits as you complete eleven different fanfic prompts. Here’s the catch: once each prompt is posted, you’ll have only one week to write and post your response. [face_mischief]

Okay, so it’s somewhat fast-paced, and the prompts aren’t nearly as wild as the previous paragraph would suggest, but I hope it will be a fun and challenging experience for everyone who signs up!

Let’s break it down a little more…

How Does This Work?

We all know that Han and Chewie made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs, so in honor of that achievement, you will complete eleven writing prompts spread out over twelve weeks. Ten of these prompts will be secret prompts – you won’t know what they are in advance, and once they’re posted, you’ll have one week to write and post your fic. Given the time limits involved, most of these prompts will have a word range of 100 to 1,000 words. There will also be one longer prompt for a 2,000+ word vignette. This prompt will be revealed at the very beginning of the challenge, and you’ll have the whole twelve weeks to write it.

Because life sometimes gets in the way of fanfic, I’m including a bye week in the schedule, to be taken totally at your discretion. If you know you can’t finish your prompt during a certain week, you can opt to skip that week and make it up during Week 11. (I’ve included a sample schedule below so you can see how this would work.)

In addition to the eleven prompts already mentioned, there will be a twelfth “get out of jail free” prompt. Basically, if one of the secret prompts just isn’t doing it for you, you can replace it with the “get out of jail free” prompt. Be selective with this one, because you only get one, and you won’t know what any of the other prompts are until they’re posted. Also, you cannot use this twelfth prompt to replace the 2,000+ word prompt.

Normal Schedule – No changes

Week 1 – secret prompt #1
    Week 2 – secret prompt #2
    Week 3 – secret prompt #3
    Week 4 – secret prompt #4
    Week 5 – secret prompt #5
    Week 6 – secret prompt #6
    Week 7 – secret prompt #7
    Week 8 – secret prompt #8
    Week 9 – secret prompt #9
    Week 10 – secret prompt #10
    Week 11 – no new prompts (you could use this time to work on the Week 12 fic)
    Week 12 – 2,000+ word prompt

Sample Schedule with a Bye Week

Week 1 – secret prompt #1
    Week 2 – secret prompt #2
    Week 3 – secret prompt #3
    Week 4 – secret prompt #4
    Week 5 – choose not to write this week, make-up during Week 11
    Week 6 – secret prompt #6
    Week 7 – secret prompt #7
    Week 8 – secret prompt #8
    Week 9 – secret prompt #9
    Week 10 – secret prompt #10
    Week 11 – secret prompt #5
    Week 12 – 2,000+ word prompt​

The Rules
    1. In order to participate, you must post in this thread stating you’d like to sign up.

2. All of your vignettes, ficlets, drabbles, one-shots, short stories, etc. written for this challenge must be posted in one (1) story thread, and your story thread must be a new thread created for the Kessel Run challenge. Please also include a reference to the Kessel Run in the header for your thread, so that I can keep track more easily. (Ex: "Kessel Run Challenge 2023")

3. Prompts will be posted in this thread each Monday, and responses must be posted in your own story threads by the following Monday at 11:59pm EST. (That gives you a week plus 12 hours, give or take, to write and post your fics.) The first prompt will be posted Monday, January 9th.

4. The final vignette (the 2,000+ word story) is due Monday, April 3rd at 11:59pm EST.

5. Please post a link to your story thread in this thread once you’ve started. You may also post links here each time you update your thread, if you wish.

6. The “get out of jail free” prompt can replace any one (1) of the secret prompts, but it must still be completed by that prompt’s deadline. The “get out of jail free” prompt cannot be used to replace the longer 2,000+ word vignette.

7. You do not have to stick to a single character, theme, time period, fandom, etc. for the entire challenge. Go wherever the muse takes you! (Of course, if you want to focus on a single character or ‘verse or theme, go for it!)

8. Even though each response to the challenge should be posted in your Kessel Run thread, feel free to double up on challenges, if you have another writing challenge that applies. (Please also check the rules for the other challenge to make sure that it’s okay!)

9. Non-SW stories are welcome!

10. As always, all entries must abide by the Fanfic rules and the TOS for the site.

The Rewards

Anyone who competes in the Kessel Run has a chance to win colors! Thank you to our excellent mods for allowing us to expand our reward offerings this year! Here’s the breakdown:
    • If you complete the entire Kessel Run on time (that’s 10 secret prompts, plus the longer 2,000+ word vignette), you will receive 10 days of colors!
    • If you complete eight (8) of the secret prompts, plus the longer vignette, on time, you will receive 7 days of colors!
    • If you complete six (6) of the secret prompts, plus the longer vignette, on time, you will receive 5 days of colors!
    • If you complete four (4) of the secret prompts, plus the longer vignette, on time, you will receive 72 hours of colors!
    • Finally, if you complete all ten (10) of the secret prompts on time, but are unable to finish the longer vignette before the deadline, you will receive 5 days of colors!

FAQ

Wait, when does this challenge begin?

The first prompts will be posted in this thread on Monday, January 9th to kick things off!

What is the deadline to sign up?

Sign-ups are open for the duration of the challenge; however, be aware that the longer you wait to sign up, the less your potential prize will be at the end. If you’re not concerned about colors and want to join the fun anyway, you are more than welcome to!

Are the word limits absolute, or is there some wiggle room?

In short, yes, they are absolute. The word limits are part of the challenge and must be adhered to. However, I’m not likely to go around doing a word count on everyone’s entries, so I’m relying on the honor system here!

Is there a specific word counter I should use?

You may use whichever word counter you prefer, whether that’s an online counter, your word processor, or if you want to count the words yourself. Whichever method you decide on, please stick with it for the entirety of the challenge.

What if I miss the deadline for one of the prompts? Can I still win colors?

You can definitely still win colors! There are multiple tiers based on how many prompts you finish on time, so even if you miss a week, keep writing! (See “The Rewards” section above for a breakdown of the prizes.)

Where can I find the master list of prompts?

An index of all prompts will be included at the end of this post!

Have a question that you don’t see answered here? Post it in this thread, and I’ll get back to you as quickly as possible!

[​IMG]

Index of Prompts
    Long vignette (2,000+ words)
    • Write a story using a reverse narrative, or a backwards story. This could be a story where the final events occur first and the first events occur last, or it could be a story where time literally flows backward rather than forward.
    • Click here for further details
    • Word limit = minimum 2,000 words, no maximum limit
    • Entries due Monday, April 3rd at 11:59pm EST

“Get out of jail free” prompt
    (you may use this as a substitute for one of the weekly prompts)

• Write a poem in any style, of any length. There is no word limit.

Weekly Secret Prompts

Week 1 | January 9-16
    • Write a story between 100 and 1,000 words that
      • starts with this sentence: “He had not been courageous.”
      • uses this picture as inspiration:
        [​IMG]
    • Word limit = 100-1,000 words
    • Entries due Monday, January 16th at 11:59pm EST
    • Write a story between 400 and 800 words using second-person POV in which a character is lost.
    • Word limit = 400-800 words
    • Entries due Monday, January 23rd at 11:59pm EST

Week 3 | January 23-30
    • Write a story between 500 and 1,000 words in which you make up a new OC (original character). Your OC must interact with at least one EC (established character), and your story must include the following line of dialogue: “Something was bound to go right sometime today.”
    • Word limit = 500-1,000 words
    • Entries due Monday, January 30th at 11:59pm EST

Week 4 | January 30-February 6
    • Write a story between 100 and 1,000 words that is predominantly action. You can have as many characters interacting as you want, and you can include introspection as long as it doesn't outweigh the action.
    • Entries due Monday, February 6th at 11:59pm EST

Week 5 | February 6-13
    • Write a set of 3 double drabbles with the following prompts: juggernaut, shepherd, undertaker
    • Each double drabble must be exactly 200 words, for a total of 600 words
    • Entries due Monday, February 13th at 11:59pm EST

Week 6 | February 13-20
    • Write a story of at least 500 words in which one of your favorite protagonists/heroic characters is the antagonist/villain. This can be an AU, but it doesn't necessarily have to be.
    • Minimum 500 words, no maximum limit
    • Entries due Monday, February 20th at 11:59pm EST

Week 7 | February 20-27
    • Write a story between 100 and 1,000 words from the perspective of a child. (For our purposes, a child is anyone 12 years old or younger – or whatever the developmental equivalent for your non-human characters happens to be.)
    • Entries due Monday, February 27th at 11:59pm EST

Week 8 | February 27-March 6
    • Write an AU (alternate universe) story of at least 400 words where a character ends up in a committed romantic relationship with someone other than the person they ended up with in canon or in your existing AUs. That’s right, guys, it’s time to break up your OTP, or never let them get together in the first place. Whether or not the characters are happy about this turn of events is entirely up to you.
    • Minimum 400 words, no maximum limit
    • Entries are due Monday, March 6th at 11:59pm EST

Week 9 | March 6-13
    • Write a story between 300 and 1,000 words in the form of a dramatic monologue. This can be either poetic or prose in nature, but the idea behind the dramatic monologue should be observed: a speech or narrative where a silent listener is addressed, in which the speaker inadvertently reveals aspects of their character while describing a particular situation or series of events.
    • Word limit = 300-1,000 words
    • Entries due Monday, March 13th at 11:59pm EST

Week 10 | March 13-20
    • Write a story between 100 and 400 words, and include these three words: carmine, intoxicate, solace
    • Word limit = 100-400 words
    • Entries due Monday, March 20th at 11:59pm EST

Last year's challenge:
    The Kessel Run (2022)

~~​

Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
  2. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    Index of Participants

~~

Last edited: Jun 30, 2023
  3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    [​IMG]

IT'S HERE, IT'S HERE, IT'S HEEEEEEEEEERE!!!!

Hey now, I only did that once. [face_not_talking] (Maybe twice? :p I can't remember, the last KR admittedly went by in such a blur of words. 8-})

You and Elli should put a dollar in the angst jar before you even start if this is your goal, goodness. ;) o_O [face_mischief]

In all seriousness, though, it's so good to see this challenge up and running again. I thank you in advance for all of the hard work you put into hosting this event, and can't wait to see all of the darn good writing that's sure to be inspired as a result! :D [face_love] [face_dancing] [:D]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
  4. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    I'M HERE SIGN ME UP

[​IMG]

Oh my gosh Mira, I've had such DARK THOUGHTS I've thus far kept to a PM thread. [face_laugh]

Will they be unleashed through prose? Or will I write deliriously weird cat Vader crack? ONLY THE MUSE KNOWS (and not even the muse honestly)

5. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Sweet! Please sign me up for this year's round. :) Not sure what I'll be trying with it this time, but I have a few days to figure it out.

Edit: Cool, I have an idea. Now I'll just have to see if I can work it out with the prompts.

6. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Woohoo, it’s Kessel Season again! [face_dancing]

Count me in, for sure. I’ll see how I end up doing, but after having taken some time away from writing, I know this will make for an effective and much-needed kick in the pants! :D

7. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Sign me up, you madwoman. Although I'm pretty sure it's not going to be me who makes Chorus weep, I am cheering for those of you who inevitably will [face_devil]

A dollar's not going to be enough, Mira
    [​IMG]

She's not kidding, the trauma is real
    [​IMG]

8. vader_incarnate

Jul 29, 2002
    Half my okay but what if PMs are, "dark dark dark Sith child murder genocide madness darkness," (paraphrased slightly) and the other half are, "L/M romance tropes toddler Solo children being adorable cat Vader fluff crack fluff," and there's absolutely no middle ground. O:)

I'm like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get. :p

9. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Oh, I'm so excited to see this again! :D

I'm not expecting to get very far with it this year, but I'd like to give it a try and sign up anyway.

10. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    Meanwhile on the receiving end, the reaction is pretty much always "omg Elli," you just don't know if it's going to be the "omg you have to write this I love it so sweet [face_love]" variant, or "OMG ELLLLLIIIIIII WHHHYYYYY *uncontrollable sobbing*"

Although I feel like the current "dark dark dark Sith child murder genocide madness darkness" idea would actually work great with the KR format, so there's that

Hey, you completed it last year! I believe in you! [:D]

11. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Aww, thank you! [:D]

I don't have much confidence in myself and that is part of it, but this year it's actually more 'real life limiting my writing time'. Which sucks, because I was hoping the Kessel Run would happen again, and actually looking forward to participating in it! :p

12. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    Adulting is THE WORST. One of my AO3 readers linked me to a Tumblr post that said simply, "why can't I just sit in my pajamas, writing fic, deranged?" and I feel that in my bones. But you can still participate, and even if you don't have time to get each prompt written within the allotted time, you can always write them later! A slightly later than expected story is still a story [:D]

13. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Sign me up for this. I have some ideas for a nice story

14. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I think I'm in... I have a few characters I might use, only one is SW... Guess I have to commit to using her or not before I post, so I know where to post [face_thinking]

15. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    I estimate that the odds of me actually finishing are 3720 to 1 against, but what the heck, sign me up.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
  16. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Ooh, what a fabulous and talented bunch we have signing up! We're going to get some real fic gold out of this challenge, I see! :cool:

17. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Thrilled to see this wonderful event happening again this year=D=

I am excited to participate again this year and see if I can improve on my performance from last year.

And in the spirit of the Kessel Run Challenge, I offer the following Han Solo daring bit of inspiration to my fellow fearless fanfic writers:

[​IMG]

18. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    I'm thrilled to see so many of you signing up already! The index of participants has been updated! :D

IT IIIIISSSSSS, FINALLY! [face_dancing]

[face_laugh] [face_mischief]

(Okay, yeah, it was less begging and more a sigh of relief :p ;))

Well if Gabri gets her way, my KR thread is going to be one big ball of sunshine from start to finish. :p I guess we'll see where the muse leads... [face_whistling]

Aw, well I'm excited to be running it again! [face_batting] (And I went ahead and added you to the sign-up list, because obviously. ;) [:D])

[face_rofl] [face_rofl]

[​IMG]

Aw yeah, that's what I like go hear! :cool: You're on the list!

That's right it is! [face_dancing]

Awesome to have you aboard again! I hope this year's prompts will be just the thing you need! :D

You're not fooling anyone, Gabri, you know you've been counting the days for this challenge. :* [face_mischief] [face_whistling]

[face_rofl] [face_mischief]

I'm happy and excited to have you along for the ride no matter how much you finish! [face_batting]

We're all going to be here rooting for you, and I hope you have fun with this year's prompts! [:D]

Exactly this! Everyone who wants to participate is welcome, regardless of how much you finish or whether you complete the prompts on time. [:D]

Excellent, you're in! :D

Awesome, I've got you added to the list! :D

I see what you did there. [face_mischief] Great to have you participating again! :D

Agreed, it's going to be an excellent twelve weeks! [face_batting]

Yay, you can do it! [face_dancing]

[​IMG]

And then obviously I'm in as well, with the lovely @Mira_Jade once again providing me with my own set of secret prompts, to keep things fair. :D [:D]

Anyone else want to join in? [face_batting]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
  19. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    It's hilarious the way you say this almost like someone who didn't gleefully title her Olympics thread "The Decathalon of Death" [face_skull] [face_skull] [face_skull]

More like I've been mentally weighing the odds of you including drabbles and poetry again, or replacing them with something even worse o_O

jk love you

mostly

20. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    OBVIOUSLY! In my flailing, I forgot to officially sign-up, so I thank you for reading between the lines. :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's going to be a theme for this year's run, something tells me. :p

THIS! I'm so excited to see so many fantastic authors signed up already, especially with this in mind! You never know how far you'll go if you don't challenge yourself, and anything you write is still a story told that you may not have been inspired to tell otherwise. [face_love] [face_dancing] [:D]

21. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Oh sure why not. I'm sure I won't regret this when I'm wracking my brains for a way to write whatever it is. :p Sign me up!

22. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    You're in! No regrets, it's going to be great. [face_mischief]

[face_mischief] [face_whistling]

[face_rofl] [face_rofl]

[face_batting]

No problem! ;) [:D]

Ah, so that's what it's like to be on the receiving end of this gif. [face_laugh] Bring it, Mira. [face_mischief]

lololol

Yes, exactly! [face_love]

Only a few more days until we kick things off! I'm curious to know how many of you already have ideas for what you'll try to write (if the prompts cooperate [face_whistling]) and how many of you plan to totally wing it? [face_thinking]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
  23. vader_incarnate

Jul 29, 2002
    I'm debating the merits of two SW threads, one explicitly cat Vader crack and the other just miscellaneous angsty things. But most likely I'll just mix them both in the same crazy thread. :p

24. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I am going to totally wing it (what could go wrong? 8-}) and I must confess that I haven’t even decided if I am going to make it a Star Wars or Non Star Wars fandom medley type Kessel Run. So I am just flying by the seat of my pants as the saying goes...

25. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I'll try my best to do justice to those who've used the gif before me. [face_mischief] [face_devil] :*

We can handle the emotional whiplash! (I say now :p) Bring it! [face_mischief]

My heart wants to do two threads again, but my better sense is saying no, absolutely not. 8-}

So I'm probably going to do one thread, but challenge myself to make it all Song!verse. We'll see, of course, what the first prompt brings. [face_mischief]

That said, I am so excited for this challenge to start, I don't even have words! Both for the writing and the darn good reading that's soon to come! [face_love] [face_dancing]