main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge The Kessel Run 2024 | 12 Weeks, 11 Prompts, 1 Wild Fanfic Challenge | Thanks for a fantastic Run!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by ViariSkywalker, Jan 1, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Just popping in to apologise for not reviewing or cheering on those of us who are still writing. I went down with Covid on Tuesday and this stuff is The Pits, but I'm hoping to catch up soon.

Kit' , Kahara, amidalachick and 7 others like this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    OH, @Chyntuck :eek: [:D] Get well soon! What horrendous timing! I eagerly await your KR goodies. [face_love]

3. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @Chyntuck Sorry to hear that you have Covid. Feel better soon[:D]

4. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    @Chyntuck feel better soon and waiting for your KR

Kit' , Kahara, amidalachick and 6 others like this.
  5. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Chosen One star 4

Aug 9, 2002
    Awesome, I've added both of your threads to the index! :D

Ugh, that's the worst. :( I hope you feel better soon!

All right, we are now three days out from our first deadline; still plenty of time to squeeze in 100 words, or 1,000. [face_whistling] How is everyone's writing going?

6. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Weeeell, to the surprise of absolutely no one, I managed to squeeze in close to 1,000 words rather than 100. :p And, with that, I'm now happy to share the first post in my collection A Brighter Sun, a Bigger Sky. [face_dancing] [face_love]

Gah, not COVID! I hope that you feel better soon! [:D]

(Even if, selfishly, my first thought was thank goodness she already had her Week 1 posted. ;) [face_batting])

Kit' , Kahara, amidalachick and 6 others like this.
  7. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Shocking, I say! [face_laugh] I've added your thread to the index as well! :D

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] That was my first thought as well. ^:)^

9. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Chyntuck, Kit' , Kahara and 4 others like this.
  10. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    Please take care of yourself, and wishing you a speedy recovery!

Rather well, I'm happy to say. I've got my first story written and am giving it a "rest day" so I can be more objective when I go back to edit it. I expect to post this weekend.

I'm most of the way through my "get out of jail free" substitute story as well. Last time I did the KR I didn't need that extra story, but I'd rather have it done early on than not.

And I'm outlining/researching my Long Vignette piece as well. I've got the general idea for it, at least -- it's a bit of a departure from my usual stuff, so we'll see how it goes.

11. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Ugh, Covid is nasty and really knocks you out! Rest up, take care of yourself, and I hope you feel better soon. [:D]

12. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Great, I've added your thread to the index!

That's great to hear! (And I saw your thread go up, so I've added it to the index as well. ;))

I definitely doesn't hurt to have the substitute prompt lined up in advance, and if you don't end up using it, it can make for a nice bonus entry at the end. I wish you lots of luck with that and with your long vignette! I'm looking forward to seeing how everyone handles the epistolary format. :D

I've also completed the first entry for my own thread, Stardust and Steel. :)

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    :D I'm already thinking of a premise for my long viggie, starting in the midst of the Thrawn Trilogy. L/M write to each other at first letters/messages they'll never send but then end up sending letters/messages to one another that they know the other will get, since this involves the progression of their relationship from outright hostile on Mara's end, fascinated on Luke's end ;) to friends/allies, to more. [face_love] ;)

14. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
  15. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Thank you for the get-well wishes everyone! I'm mostly okay by now, but I still have that dreaded Covid brain-fog, so it'll be a couple more days until I'm fully operational again.

[​IMG]

16. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2024
  17. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
  18. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Excellent! I've updated the index with your threads! [face_batting]

19. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Well done, all! Your Runs are off to a very impressive start! Before we get to this week's prompt, I want to remind everyone that you still have until tonight at 11:59pm EST to get your Week 1 responses finished and posted. If you're still working on your entry or trying to decide whether you should join the challenge, there's definitely time to do so! ;)

In the meantime, here is the next prompt...

* * Week 2 * *

• Write a story between 400 and 800 words in which a character admits a secret to another character without directly speaking to them. Indirect means of communication are fair game.
    • Word limit = 400-800 words
    • Entries due Monday, January 22nd at 11:59pm EST

That's it, that's all I have for you this week! Thanks to @Mira_Jade for inspiring this prompt; she assigned a similar one to me during the first year of the Kessel Run, and I look forward to seeing what you all do with it. [face_mischief] Your Week 2 entries are due one week from today. Remember to post your entries in the same thread that you started for your Week 1 fics. You may also, if you wish, post a link directly to your Week 2 entries here in this thread. Any questions can be posted here or sent to me via PM. Happy writing, everyone! :D

~~
    Index of Prompts | Index of Participants

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
  20. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Aw, yeah! :cool: I was particularly proud of that prompt back in the day, and I can't wait to see how it goes on to be interpreted now! [face_thinking] [face_batting]

21. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    This was fun with cunning archivist Shh-Kirr delivering a secret to padawan Hessy Teack in fussy archivists and a cat-nip wrapper
    And I am busy with the big story with the letters to various OC's and canon characters like Jerec, Nu, Dooku

Last edited: Jan 15, 2024
  22. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    *looks at the prompt*

*looks at her thread's premise*

*looks at the prompt again* [face_hypnotized]

I'm beginning to think that my crystal ball worked a little bit too well. (Of course, famous last words until a prompt comes along that completely invalidates the story concepts I have in the works.)

23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I too have a super duper idea for this week which brings in a favorite story element of mine. :) :D The indirect communication involves little hints sprinkled throughout that the other person picks up on and makes a wonderful guess at the end. [face_mischief]

24. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    I'm sure I'm overthinking this, but I have a question, please. Is it that the characters cannot directly speak to each other at all in the story, or just that the secret itself cannot be directly spoken?

25. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019