main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo The Kessel Run

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by darthOB1, Apr 29, 2017.

1. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    I would love to see exactly how LFL is going to explain and handle the Kessell Run.

Seeing how the apparent goal is making the distance as short as possible, what types of scenario's could be in place to accomplish this? How does this relate to the MF as the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy?

12 parsecs is approximately 39 light years.
    How do you relate fast speed to short distance?
    Obviously faster ships will travel greater distance in same time, so that's not it.

My first though was that it might have something to do with the distance needed to deliver cargo while traveling out of hyperspace. If the ship is fast it will travel further in hyperspace leavening less distance to travel to the system at sub light.

The idea being that once you are out of hyperspace you are open to pirate attacks as part of the competition.
    Perhaps there is a time limit as to how much time you can be in hyperspace.

It's not perfect and far from a complete theory, but I was curious what others thought on how this may be handled.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    If he chooses to show it. We don't know when Han did the Kessell Run. There's no reason that it needs to be in the Han Solo movie.

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Heck, we don't even know if he really did it. He might have just been shooting his mouth off, trying to sound like a big shot so he could jack up his prices.

4. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I always assumed it was something to do with getting beer and pizza one late night.

5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ "Hey, I'm going on a Kessel Run, you want anything?"

Yeah, that could work.

6. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    If they show the Kessel Run (which I believe is quite likely), I'm sure they will add some danger and suspense to it. It will obviously include a dangerous asteroid field that Han has to navigate through, but here's some other ideas that I came up with:

- A planet with an extremely strong gravitational force, pulling the MF dangerously close and maybe scratching a few rocks on its planetary rings.
    - A black hole, same as above. Although I feel black holes don't really fit into Star Wars, it's too much sci-fi.
    - A planet-sized vacuum-based monster with long tentacles that Han has to navigate through.
    - A new spin on an asteroid field, instead of navigating through an asteroid field Han has to navigate through a field of large burning meteors.

Zef, whostheBossk and Jedi Daniel like this.
  7. cookeycat

cookeycat Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 17, 2016
  8. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I imagine we'll see the Kessel Run. But frankly, I'm not that interested in it. I'd rather spend more time in the depths of the underworld, than in an extended high-speed space race. Or whatever it is.

9. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'd love to see the Kessel run included in this film. I've always been curious about that region of space, and how all that would've played out. Like maybe some kind of smuggler's race or something. Could make for an awesome intro scene for Han!

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It could be like Cannonball Run in space. Which of course could be either awesome or terrible. :p Either way, most SW movies have some lighthearted action scenes, so it doesn't have to take too much away from the more serious parts as long as it doesn't take a long time.

11. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    JW Fan and EHT like this.
  12. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    He clearly didn't do it and neither Obi-Wan or Luke believed him. If he had done it then they probably would have heard about it which was the point.

13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    That... was not the point. They live on a backwater planet. Luke doesn't know a lightsaber from a socket wrench and Obi-Wan doesn't particularly care. There's nothing to suggest he didn't do it.

14. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    You actually believe that? If Han Solo didn't make the famous Kessell Run; then why would he have scoffed to himself "15?!", after yelling back to Rey that it was less than 12 parsecs, in Episode VII? o_O

Edit: I meant 14. :p

Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    14. :)

Yeah. There's absolutely nothing in the films to indicate that he didn't do it. And TFA made it crystal clear that he did.

16. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Doh! :oops:Yes you are right. Thanks! I meant to type 14. 8-}

Force Smuggler and Gigoran Monk like this.
  17. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Which was the point. He's bragging about something that he self promotes that he did (which probably didn't happen) and thinks will impress these rubes.

It doesn't work. Obi-Wan and Luke hardly take Han seriously.

18. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    No. He was surprised that Luke didn't know about the Falcon, and annoyed that Obi-Wan doesn't give a fig. And so he decided to set the record straight about just how fast the ship was. Sure, he was self-promoting, as he was trying to land a deal. But there's nothing at all indicating that he didn't do it. And then in TFA, when he mutters about Rey getting the number of parsecs wrong, it's pretty clear that it's true. If it was a lie, he likely wouldn't remember what fake number he spouted off more than 30 years earlier.

It's OK to concede that you're very likely not right about this. We won't judge. :)

19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Btw, the Kessel Run isn't a race people! It's a dangerous route smugglers use to smuggle spice for the Pyke's. Gosh! :-B

Shaak Ti, wobbits, eko32eko7 and 6 others like this.
  20. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Get back to work.

21. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    The Kessell Run should make the pod racing sequence in TPM look tame.
    It's an opportunity to see Han doing crazy, impossible things. So I'm all for it.

wobbits and EHT like this.
  22. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    Maybe he uses Lando's ship and then wins a bet he made with him that he could do it under 13 parsecs through special modifications.

Kills two birds with one stone........

Personally I see no reason to believe he did not do it and see a perfect opportunity for the writers to explore this facet of Star Wars lore!

23. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    [​IMG]

24. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    You're quoting some of that Expanded Universe mumbo jumbo there sir.

25. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    It's mentioned in several canon sources as a route used by Pyke smugglers including the Ultimate Visual Dictionary.