main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo The Kessel Run

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by darthOB1, Apr 29, 2017.

1. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I love the whole sequence from the time they leave Kessel. Showcases Han's skills as a pilot along with pulling at my emotions when he looks over at Chewie as his co pilot for the first time. I like that Howard chose to zoom in on Han's hands on the controls of the ship throughout the sequence.

2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    One of my favorite scenes in the movie is when Han’s in the Falcon cockpit for the first time, and the camera rests on his smiling face as they jump through hyperspace.

3. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    Yes! I love that scene. I saw Alden talking about it in an interview so it was his honest reaction, the awe in it is perfect.

4. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    It still pains me that Alden hasn’t gotten the recognition he absolutely deserves for knocking this role out of the park. It won’t make me popular in the fandom, but I think he’s even better than Ford (who I love, don’t get me wrong). There’s just more depth to his depiction of Han than Ford ever bothered to put into it in the OT. He’s that good, IMO.

5. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    I'm with you! I do love Ford as Han but Alden brought something even more heartfelt I think to the role and his depiction of young Han made the scene of Han's death in TFA more emotional for me than it had been upon release of TFA. To be plainly honest, Alden's Han makes me hate Kylo even more for the act than I did before.

6. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

;)

7. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Do I agree? No, I physically cannot. He definitely brings more depth, and pain, and human relatability to the role, but Ford is... Ford. For me, it's almost like comparing Connery's Bond with Craig's.

That said, I think Ehrenreich is the standout performance of the film. For as likable and charismatic as Glover's Lando was, there was nothing but enthusiasm for him from the beginning, whereas Ehrenreich had the cards stacked against him and absolutely delivered. And for another thing, the generation of kids that are growing up with Star Wars now, who are going to take the memories of seeing these new movies for the first time with them into the future? Ehrenreich's Han is going to be to them what McGregor's Kenobi is the PT generation, and I can't wait to see them grow old enough to make this fandom their own.

8. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Ford has some scenes in ROTJ that should have been re-shot because it is telephoned in. He has some scenes in ROTJ that did not need re-shot.
    His elevation to higher fare in Raiders and Bladerunner bleeds out, and this is exacerbated by ROTJ having the highest density of pure effects (puppets) and thumb-on-scale cute (teddy bears). Ford and Fisher had high voltage in ESB, and that had run its course by ROTJ.

But Alden is a better Han? Alden is a kinder gentler Han. I'll take unimpressed Han that says sorry for the mess. That's what sticks with me from Ford, and I see it in Bladerunner. Ford who has seen things you wouldn't believe. Alden has bright eyes. I don't need my Ford Han sweetened with cream and sugar.

9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I don’t think Alden is simply kinder and gentler. Yes, that’s the difference between Han’s young self and older self. I’m simply saying Alden may be a better actor in the role, bringing a more emotional depth and range to it. There’s more behind his eyes than Ford’s. Though in part, that’s due to AldHan being more open with his emotions than FordHan. All things being equal, I think they’re about even, as they’re essentially playing different roles. But Alden shows more depth and range in his performance, so I put him on top.

Sue me. I don’t wear nostalgia goggles. ;)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  10. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    ok ok ok I understand. I have to translate that into my paradigm of film first versus world first. From a film first perspective, Alden's technique before the camera lens may be measured to be more articulated than Ford's technique before the camera lens. I have zero objection to that.

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Ford is Han, hands down. No other actor can come close to embodying that role.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  12. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I can. I was here first, and those kids need to get off my Death Star!

Sarge and EHT like this.
  13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Craig is better than Connery. Just saying. ;):p

Bor Mullet likes this.
  14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You are not wrong.

15. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    While watching it I took Skyfall to be the Empire Strikes Back of Bond. This is different from saying it is one of the highest ranked of Bond, which it generally is, also.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  16. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    His movies definitely are. Craig is my favorite Bond as far as the films, Brosnan is probably my favorite take on the character.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  17. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012

Bor Mullet likes this.
  18. Gonk Droid

Gonk Droid Jedi Knight star 1

May 7, 2017
    Exactly this.

To the casual observer it seems most likely that GL got it wrong and picked parsec to illustrate how physically quick the MF was, rather than its capability to travel from A to B in the shortest possible distance, which in itself just sounds absurd!

The conversation above between Luke and Han is obviously referring to how fast the ship can go and GL uses parsec in this context. It's like Han saying I've done London to New York in 2 hrs.

For me those that believe GL got it right all along are implying that the top speed of a ship is irrelevant when completing the Kessel run but it's actually all down to the ship's navigational computer to reduce the number of parsecs to the lowest possible.

By using this theory the Kessel run could be completed in 12 parsecs by any ship that just happens to have the GFFA'S best navigational computer and can direct the ship safely through all the obstacles the Kessel run has to offer.

Whilst everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion I think for me the sensible answer is that GL messed up with the definition of a parsec (equating 'sec' with a unit of time) which now has been retconned to actually mean my ship has the best nav computer.

Whilst many of you have gone to great lengths to protect GL and justify he was right all along, I just cannot buy your argument. I am happy to accept there will always be mistakes and the odd continuity error made, and that there's not a perfect Star Wars answer for everything. Maybe just maybe GL did get it wrong after all!

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  19. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    Can you give the post number of what you're quoting?

20. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Just press the up arrows.

21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    What a wonderful Kessel Run. Amazing, I loved every bit of it, there and back. I was legit upset when L3 bought it. Had to man back those tears, couldn't let see dudes like Lando and Han see me all misty.

An example of an Imperial blockade that actually makes sense! Finally! Wonderful. What a thrilling image, too. Brilliant. Finally I can actually picture a blockade in my head in a way that makes sense and is pleasing.

The monster was great, and so was the Maw.

Really just everything I ever wanted from the Kessel Run.

22. Dilla Deaf

Dilla Deaf Jedi Knight

Jul 28, 2017
    Han always been full of it but somehow actually does it when it's time to do the walk.... I got an feeling he might had embellish the Kessel Run so many times and the fact that alot of stories in the Star Wars universe basically is a game of telephone..........I mean there's folks out there that belive that Vader is an 24 foot tall human who doesn't eat, doesn't use the bathroom and eat translator droids for breakfast.....

Ok getting back on track here --- one can't help but notice does the Kessel Run sounds like a "Cocaine Cowboys" speedboat kinda run under the moonlight with very little wiggle room for error and danger?

The fact the Imperial blockade was there so fast shows it's was an response and not the first time someone attempt it , which is why just surviving an Kessel Run is stuff of legends

Or George could had imagine the Kessel run to pay homage to the Carribean pirate runs of the past ....either way , the whole sequence remains my favorite part of Solo.

23. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I thought the Kessell Run was well done even though I had always believed it was a timed event due to speed. That said, it was explained on the Blu ray extras that a parsec does not equat speed or timed event. This enables the movie to showcase Hans true talents, not just speed, but orchestrating his own path where it's thought to be none. Also evading tie fighters in the process. You would think the Empire is well known of the Falcon as of ANH.
    Then once you throw in the remade John Williams score for this scene, it takes it to that special feel which I enjoyed.

Sarge likes this.
  24. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    I loved the sequence. The monster was frightening and the maelstorm was even more scary. It was everything I ever wanted from the Kessel Run.

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    There were at least 8 black holes in the Maw in Legends, so maybe more have yet to be mapped, in Disney canon?
    I also kind of head canon that Kessel lost much of it's mass some times in Legends history due to overmining or industrial accidents (coaxium, maybe?) and thus became less spherical, over time.