main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Knights of Ren in Episode 9

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by dlbates, Dec 13, 2017.

?

Do you believe we will see the Knights of Ren in the movies beyond the flashback from TFA?

1. They will play a large roll in IX

2. They will be seen in IX but only briefly, and possibly in another flashback

3. They will not be seen, but will be mentioned in IX

4. We have heard the last of the Knights of Ren. Not even a mention in IX.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Abrams, and he loves them so we know they be treated well as their his creations.

2. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    That’s what I’m hoping for. There’s a wide difference between “Elite Mooks” who put up a better fight but are still character-less cannon fodder and the “Quirky Mini-Boss Squad” who have personalities and require more creative writings in their defeat.

If Russel is a KoR, then we’re almost certainly looking more at a Quirky Mini-Boss situation, and that’s something I’m hopeful for. If they end up as faceless and nameless Elite Mooks, I’ll be disappointed,

3. Victorian Time Traveler

Victorian Time Traveler Jedi Master star 3

Nov 20, 2012
    If it's true that the KoR are the handful of students that Kylo took with him from Luke's temple, wouldn't it stand to reason that they are given significant screen time? These are all Luke's former students, each with personalities and surely strong opinions of both Luke and Kylo. They can't be reduced to cannon fodder.

4. Mila Lazarus

Mila Lazarus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2018
    They're apparently not Luke's students... At least not all of them:

"The Knights of Ren was a mysterious order of elite warriors who followed the dark side of the Force. They operated under the command of Supreme Leader Snoke—a master in the ways of the Force and ruler of the First Order—in the years following the destruction of the Sith and the fall of the Galactic Empire. Among their ranks was the Force warrior Kylo Ren; the lineal descendant of the fallen Sith Lord Darth Vader, Kylo became the Supreme Leader's apprentice after renouncing both his family and Jedi heritage. In addition, he assumed the title Master of the Knights of Ren as well as "Jedi Killer" due to his role in the second fall of the Jedi Order."

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Knights_of_Ren

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  5. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    *The Knights of Ren were

Thanks for the link. So it’s confirmed they, unlike the Praetorian Guard, are Force users.

They resemble the Sith in earlier ANH draft 3 where Kenobi tells Luke Starkiller that his student Darth Vader stole his Kiber crystal. Vader left the Jedi and joined the Sith and became their leader. And the Emperor was a bureaucrat, not a Sith or Force user. Snoke was no bureaucrat and was a Dark Side practitioner, but not a Ren.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  6. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Not too long ago it was unclear if the KoR would even be in Ep. IX and now it seems like they might actually have a decent size part. Cool cool.

7. Iefan

Iefan Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 31, 2013
    It's difficult to manage expectations for a Star Wars film. I think we get so much that we want that it can be hard to count our blessings in terms of the content we do get. Having the KoR involved in the plot even further by any stretch is something we shouldn't take for granted. I'm excited just to know they will be making an appearance.

8. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    My theory is that the Knights of Ren are dead. That they are the same Red Guard that Rey and Kylo Ren slay in Snoke’s Throne Room. Itvwouod make sense that Snoke co-opted the Knights of Ren and made them his personal guard. If Snoke followed the Rule of Two by Darth Bane, he would want them to only be low level servants and not piwerful force users, putting all his tutelage in Kylo Ren who had the mist potential because of his “bloodline.” Besides if the Sith Empire taught Dark Siders anything, too many Dark Jedi can become a betrayalfest where everyone is vying for power and hindering the larger goals of Bogan anx the Empire.

9. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    That is were balance comes in, too many and they fight each other, vying for power. Not enough and they can be outnumbered and overpowered by Jedi. May be that is why there are only seven KoR, seeing as Luke only trained around a dozen to two dozen Jedi, they would be outnumbered by only 3 to 1

10. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I personally agree that the Rule of Two leaves the Sith vulnerable to being outnumbered by Jedi. However, the concept of the Rule of Two is that two Sith can become more powerful than ten or twenty; an example the Emperor and Darth Vader.

As for the Knights of Ren, I reiterate that they are dead, slain by Rey and Reb in the Throne Room (TLJ).

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  11. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015

Enpwror? Stupid autocorrect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. SunnyD

SunnyD Jedi Knight

Aug 26, 2015
    That's definitely not true. There's no good reason why they would look completely different with no apparent explanation. The Guard is its own thing. That theory is like the most convoluted way they could go for characters that have had no significance up until now.

Mila Lazarus likes this.
  13. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    No, nothing is confirmed, that's part speculation from fandom. There's nothing about them on starwars.com and we only have a few clues from the directors. The most factual part of that fandom page is this;

"Though the backstory of the Knights of Ren has yet to be revealed..."

14. Mila Lazarus

Dec 29, 2018
    Where do they get their infos from, then?

15. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    [​IMG]

16. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I think the "lost students of Luke's" angle will be mentioned in IX or a future post-IX book/comic. After the main conflict is resolved in IX, Rey embarks or is about to embark on a journey to seek out and find Luke's lost students who are in hiding. It's implied they will help her rebuild the Jedi Order.

17. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    It’s convoluted that Snoke would turn the Knights of Ren into his own personal guard to prevent Kylo Ren from usurping his power? Did not the Emperor want Vader to bring Luke to him, rather than trust Vader to seduce his son to the Dark Side? Of course Vader did the ground work and inspired Luke to embrace Bogan briefly, but Palpatine did not trust Vader completely. Snoke in TLJ demonstrated a lack of faith in Kylo, even saying, “You have too much of your father's heart in you, young Solo.”

18. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Maybe if Keri Russell or Matt Smith played one of them, but it seems like that won't be the case.

It looks like they'll be faceless muscle used for a couple action scenes.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  19. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    I figured that we had seen the last of them but I am happy to be proven wrong given recent rumors. I agree that it would be better if at least one or two of them had more of a characterization beyond masked background villains but hopefully we at least will learn some more about them.

20. SunnyD

SunnyD Jedi Knight

Aug 26, 2015
    Yes. Your theory makes sense in a vacuum, but it doesn't make sense with all of the information we have. The praetorian guard are visually distinct from the knights of ren. The Knights are also implied to have force powers, which the guards don't. There's also no indication inside and outside the text that they are related. You need to look at the simplest, most logical scenario rather than "undead ex-praetorians" b/c that revelation has 0 relevance to the story and would thus be a convoluted and useless element to add

RetropME and Mila Lazarus like this.
  21. Mila Lazarus

Dec 29, 2018
    The KoR are not the Praetorian guards according to RJ:

"“We have a very full movie already there literally was just not room for another element...I guess I could’ve used them in place of the Praetorian guards but then it would feel like wasting them because all those guards had to die. And if Kylo had some kind of connection to them it would’ve added a complication that wouldn’t have helped the scene...truth is I just didn’t see a place for them in the movie.”https://screenrant.com/star-wars-last-jedi-knights-of-ren/

Besides JJ Abrams had said back in 2016 that he hoped for a spin-off about the KoR, so I don't believe that he will reveal them to be Snoke's dead praetorian guards. I think he wants them to have more personality than that. (https://screenrant.com/star-wars-j-j-abrams-wants-a-knights-of-ren-spinoff-movie/)

There have been several leaks implying the KoR in EP IX, so I expect to see them. I hope that at least we'll get a flashback or something about the night Kylo destroyed Luke's temple, so we know exactly who did what, who killed who, and if the KoR were Luke's former students or totally different people. Fans assume that the KoR are Luke's former students for some reasons, but so far it has not been established at all.

22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    according to leaks, they work with Kylo and are outside of the First Order. They likley force users that were trained and came from the beyond and make friends with Snoke.

23. P4KISTAN

P4KISTAN Jedi Master star 1

Jun 3, 2013
    In Hux's mind in the TLJ novelization Kylo and Snoke are the only force users in First Order space.
    Hope that isn't the case for real though

24. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Kylo is taking a risk then, to give the Knights of Ren free rein. Since they were formerly students of Luke in the Force, they could potentially become a threat, especially if they discover Sith Holocons and assert independence.

Then again, Kylo may intend to form a independent order with his knights in case The First Order fails or deviates from his dark ambitions.

25. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    What with it being a pertinent point that the KoR and the fifty odd Red Troopers only report to Kylo maybe there is some sort of coup against him? I can't see why else it's so important that Kylo has a small, yet highly capable army at his disposal.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019