main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Knights of Ren

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by PrincessKenobi , Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    But is it official Ren's lackies are KoR? Maybe they're scum.

2. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    We know that the writing team wanted to move things away from the traditional Sith Master and Apprentice relationship we've always known with regard to the new antagonists, despite how it might appear after TFA. We also know based on this article that the Knights of Ren were a group that Ben Solo joined and was a part of and that this group was seen destroying the Jedi academy that Luke had setup prior to TFA. Driver goes on to elaborate further, calling them a satellite operation before catching himself and backtracking, knowing he shouldn't reveal more. We also know that Rian Johnson has discussed where he intends to take episode VIII with J.J. and that Abrams, afterward, attempted to help set some of that up where possible but that he was obviously more focused on making VII good (so likely the vision scene is the extent of the setup among some other broadstrokes). The Knights are seen in Rey's vision so perhaps we will get more of them next.

We know that they all seem to wear masks and that Han had seen Ben wear this kind of attire and mask before while running with them in the past. His request to take off the mask sounds closer to a father telling his son to take off some gang attire and quit acting like something you're not. Ben's response was to show him he is becoming the man he wants to be.

Will these Knights be portrayed almost like a terror group/cult/gang (to draw a parallel with the issues of our time)? The lines between all 3 can blur. Was he recruited and turned almost like how ISIL recruits and turns young people today? Will there be even more Knights of Ren than we saw in that image? Dozens? Hundreds? Will they use propaganda in future films to recruit more Force users? Will they carry out large scale attacks? Was Klyo's talk of being tempted by the light part of the brainwashing the Knights undergo when joining? Are they perhaps told by Snoke that the light side is weak almost like how ISIL leaders try to demonize everything that they don't personally support? Do they all answer to Snoke?

Watching Looper again Rian Johnson has some experience crafting gang culture within a sci fi Universe. Could that have played a part in him landing this next movie? Or, do you think the Knights are done from here on out and only to be discussed in past tense or through flashbacks?

3. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Kylo definitely kills a Knight of Ren in the flashback.

The visual dictionary also makes clear that the KoR predate Kylo because his mask his modelled on Knight of Ren armour.

4. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Interesting. Do you have the exact quote? I was left with the doubt regarding the mask.

5. khuddle

khuddle Jedi Master star 1

Oct 17, 2008
    BTW why isnt Kylo Ren a "Darth"?

6. MYMUTHAZ

MYMUTHAZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 17, 2001
    He's not a Sith

7. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    Because he's not a Sith. The Sith died with Palpatine and Vader. "Darth" was a Sith title.

The Sith and the Knights of Ren are different traditions. For Kylo Ren to be a "Darth" would be like a Southern Baptist claiming the title of "Cardinal" or "Pope" despite not being Catholic.

darklordoftech likes this.
  8. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001

I didn't think about this before reading this thread... makes sense. Snoke does refer to Kylo as the master of the Knights of Ren. Also, in the Art of TFA book, in the earlier stages of creating the Knights they were called "Jedi Killers" before KoR if I remember correctly (don't have the book in front of me at the moment). Perhaps Snoke started them to do just that, kill Jedi that may still be hanging around and when Kylo became master there was really only one more they were focused on locating: Luke. I really want to know more about them in XIII: where does the name come from? How long have they been around? Who are the other members? Etc, etc. All questions may not get answered, but hopefully we learn at least a little more. They're intriguing.

9. Blake Starstrider

Blake Starstrider Jedi Master star 2

Apr 19, 2015
    The Knights of Ren will likely play a much larger role in Episode VIII

10. Victorian Time Traveler

Victorian Time Traveler Jedi Master star 3

Nov 20, 2012
    Yup. To add to this, I'd say the new "Darth" title going forward would be "Ren".

11. MADNESS_NH97

MADNESS_NH97 Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2015
    The Force Awakens plays 34 Years after the Battle of Yavin.

Rogue One plays between Revenge Of The Sith & A New Hope(according to the Star Wars Wikia that time frame is about 19 Years)

Everyone in that Group would be 70+ Years old and most likley dead by the time the Knights Of Ren where around.

Beside that 34+ Year Time gap between Rogue One & The Force Awakens. Why would a bunch of Guys that are fighting for the Rebellion trying to steal Plans for the Death Star turn into the Knights Of Ren?

nld3 likes this.
  12. MADNESS_NH97

Dec 20, 2015
    The Force Awakens plays 34 Years after the Battle of Yavin.

Rogue One plays between Revenge Of The Sith & A New Hope(according to the Star Wars Wikia that time frame is about 19 Years)

Everyone in that Group would be 70+ Years old and most likley dead by the time the Knights Of Ren where around.

Beside that 34+ Year Time gap between Rogue One & The Force Awakens. Why would a bunch of Guys that are fighting for the Rebellion trying to steal Plans for the Death Star turn into the Knights Of Ren?

13. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Maybe they are now zombie like. :)

14. MADNESS_NH97

Dec 20, 2015

Yeah! That is exactly what Star Wars needs! Zombies! =D=

15. Sons of Liberty

Sons of Liberty Jedi Padawan

Nov 17, 2014
    Kylo Ren is definitely not a sith

nld3 likes this.
  16. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Kylo Ren is described in the Visual Dictionary as the most gifted apprentice of Supreme Leader Snoke, who himself is only described as a mysterious figure steeped in dark side knowledge and commanding the First Order from a distance. So Snoke has more than one student/apprentice,Kylo being the most gifted thus far(which is probably why Snoke made him the master of the Knights of Ren).

nld3 and dekaneas like this.
  17. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Bah, I figured it out: All of the rebel spies, except Felicity, are killed in R1. She takes the staff as a honor to her killed rebel friend who posessed it before. Years later, she has a kid with Luke - Rey. Then the KOR attack them, Felicity is killed and one of the KORs picks up the staff. But Kylo, still struggling with the light, decides to hide little Rey on Jakku, and before he wipes her memory, he gives her the staff so that she can defend herself on Jakku. :)

Gesendet von meinem GT-P3110 mit Tapatalk

18. Pluvial

Pluvial Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    Snoke has many apprentices and Kylo is the most gifted.

Just about everything about Kylo Ren establishes he is very powerful, except his fight against Rey.

That scene is going to be bother me for ages.

19. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    yeah, a story written by Stephen King. :)

Darth_Voider likes this.
  20. Darth Vortex

Darth Vortex Jedi Knight star 1

May 19, 2013
    What about when Chewie quickscoped Kylo, or when Kylo was slashed by Finn? There were signs before his fight with Rey that he did not have full mastery of his power.

21. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001

I've seen the movie twice and the KoR scene is definitely different than the trailer shot. I'm not 100% sure that Kylo Ren has his signature saber, he might just have a plain red one. The first time I saw it was in 3D and the next time I was in the first row (2D). The video of that scene that is circulating (low quality) looks like a legacy saber.

22. Pluvial

Pluvial Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    To begin, the question isn't is Kylo Ren more powerful than Rey, it's to what extent Kylo has to be handicapped for the fight to be competitive. You seem to accept this.

Clearly, the film gives us reason to believe Kylo is not at his best. But, his performance against Finn gives us a more accurate idea of how much his injury is affecting him. Some say Ren easily dispatched Finn, this may be a stretch, but I don't think it was particularly difficult for Ren.

There is not a lot of evidence that Finn should be any worse with a lightsaber than Rey. Finn had been trained from birth as an elite special forces soldier. Melee is presumably part of this, evidenced by the Storm Trooper's weaponry. Rey may have a plethora of melee combat experience as a scavenger. Grievous indicates that dueling is not simply about force sensitivity. And training with a different melee weapon should not be evidence that one is skilled with a lightsaber. Both Rey and Finn's experience with a lightsaber is minimal or nonexistent. Rey had not proven she could resist Ren's force aggression.

Is Rey a more formidable opponent than Finn? I would grant she may be, but I have trouble accepting the narrative that she is significantly more dangerous to Kylo Ren than Finn should be. It is possible that Kylo dispatches Finn, only to be defeated by Rey, yes, but also quite improbable.

23. ProfessorNutbudder

ProfessorNutbudder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 1, 2003
    I've just gotten home from my 3rd time seeing TFA, and Kylo is definitely using the same saber he uses in the rest of the film.
    I am really interested to know more about the guy Kylo kills in the vision. He could be a key to understanding some of the mystery, or he could be a nobody who we'll never see again, but I wanna know!

JediLight likes this.
  24. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Didn't they say KOR were an ancient order somewhere? It would be pretty cool if there is a line of Ren's who changed their james over the course of the history. Imagine them being active during the Clone Wars or Galactic Civil War conducting covert missions.

25. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I think they are the anti-Jedi Knights.

The Sith philosophy and rule-of-two was pure and orderely. If you see a darkside user out there, kill 'em or recruit them to be part of the Two. (At least that's how it worked in the movies)

The KoR might welcome all darkside users.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.