main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Labor Movement, Labor Struggles, and Labor Relations - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by InterestingLurker, Jul 25, 2021.

Tags:
?

Do you think that more workers should be unionized?

1. Yes

70 vote(s)
    97.2%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Sounds very close to the kind of job I did @jcgoble3

Another issue was that if a coworker calls out or doesn't show, you could expect to have twice the labor (customer service in my experience) with no extra pay.

About jobs like Instacart or Doordash, they do seem like a good way to make money on your own time- I would do those if I had a car and the time.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I’ve had coworkers who drove for Uber or Lyft as a second job and they did literally turn the app off when they didn’t want to work, and they liked it.

No reason for those companies to think they “can’t” offer decent wages and benefits because of the hours though.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  4. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Starbucks closed by the mall in Eugene. The union campaign continues here.

My cis gf came up with a good joke about Libertarians after some around here argued against unionization. She said, "A Libertarian is a house cat. They're fiercely independent, but their life is controlled by forces they cannot understand." :D

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The best libertarian meme I saw, read along the lines of: Be Republican and you can hate the poor. Be libertarian and you can hate the poor, but with weed.

There is one Starbucks here that is unionizing, unfortunately not the one within walking distance of my house.

6. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Anakinfan, do you or any one else here know the merits of unionizing across companies? Or should unions stick to whatever tent under which they dwell? Are there pros and cons to both concepts?

That is a good joke, though. Libertarians in Texas did smoke plenty of weed, I recall. ;)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
  7. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    My union (Rail, Maritime and Transport) RMT works across different sectors and companies. I suppose one of the benefits is that a maritime worker (such as myself) can be asked to provide support to a demonstration concerning rail workers and vice versa. Because the union is vast, we can be mobilised to write to politicians or boycott companies in much bigger numbers.

As far as drawbacks go, I’d say that such a union can be stretched thin and focus all it’s attention on the pressing issues of the day (such as the current rail strikes) whilst ignoring less high-profile issues occurring in other companies/sectors.

So, a big cross-company/cross-industry union has much more clout. But a union representing a single company would have more focus on the needs of all its members.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    My husband’s union is SMART (sheet metal, air, rail and transit) and they also have a pretty broad reach.

The biggest drawback is not the union itself but NC being a right to be exploited work state.

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The largest strike in the US of 2022 so far is underway in California. 48,000 University of California academic workers-- not professors but graduate assistants and such-- are demanding large cost of living increases to their pay. These people often teach classes and they're forced to live in their cars or pay over half their incomes in rent.

InterestingLurker, grd4, Rew and 6 others like this.
  10. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I know that there's coordination under way to get others to support them from other universities as I saw the email a few days ago about getting people over to support them.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  11. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Having been a GTA, I can sympathize.

12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002

Looks like a good deal.

13. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Have I mentioned recently how fiercely I despise the Democratic Party?

Just wanted to post a few tidbits, in the aftermath of the greatest betrayal of Labor by Democrats since NAFTA.

(Thanks to David Sirota, Counterpunch's Jeffrey St. Clair, and The Lever for succinct summaries.)

-The railroad barons have donated over $20 million to Democrats in the past decade
    https://www.opensecrets.org/industries/totals.php?cycle=2022&ind=m04

-Here's list of the House Dems who voted against the strike-breaking bill: (Rashida Tlaib, as always, proves to be the most principled of the sorry lot known as The Squad)
    Rep. Norma Torres (CA-35)
    Rep. Rashida Tlaib (MI-13)
    Rep. Mary Peltola (AK-01)
    Rep. Mark Pocan (WI-02)
    Rep. Donald Norcross (NJ-01)
    Rep. Jared Golden (ME-02)
    Rep. Mark DeSaulnier (CA-11)
    Rep. Judy Chu (CA-27)

-Here's an open letter to pressure that sack of @#$% to use his executive authority to help these workers:
    https://the.levernews.com/general-rail-sick-days-action-open-letter/

14. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    So, a quarter of the Democrats that voted against that bill were elected in instant runoff votes.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I signed.

I like Mark Pocan as well. He has replaced Bernie Sanders as a weekly guest on Thom Hartmann’s show.

This nonsense has moved me closer to the radicalization that some of y’all push for, than I have ever been.

Rew, InterestingLurker and grd4 like this.
  16. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    For what it's worth, some of those who voted for the bill-- including Cori Bush, Ilhan Omar, AOC, and Jamaal Bowman-- did so because the provision with sick days could not advance to the Senate unless the bill without sick days also did. They voted in consultation with the unions. It was a long shot, but the strategy was fighting in the Senate for the sick days.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2022
  17. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Okay, but they knew that it was going to die in the Senate. We all knew this. The only way for the workers to get what they need is to strike and (hopefully) cripple the economy. By voting for the bill they prevented the workers from striking. They knew this.

18. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Adding the sick days involved some arcane procedure. The House had enough votes to crush the strike with or without that handful of representatives; the sick day provision required their votes. I agree that the strategy was never going to work (they all recognized it was a long shot) and Congress has no business imposing a contract on workers, but there wasn't anything a few Congresspeople could do to stop it. I do think the workers should strike anyway, but that's up to them alone.

19. grd4

Dec 11, 2013
    Absolutely. Once this passed the House, the strikebreak was as inevitable as the defeat of Build Back Better (following its decoupling from that paltry Infrastructure bill).

A united "progressive" front (sadly, I have to use quotations now) could have bought enough time for the railroad strikers to bring commerce to a screeching halt. As it stands, they buckled--as always.

20. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    People often get confused: the Congressional Progressive Caucus, led by Pramila Jayapal, is an official organization of about a hundred Congresspeople. There are few barriers for entry or mechanism for discipline, so people can and do self-label as "progressive," join the caucus and hold it back. "The Squad" is an unofficial media-generated label for a relative handful of representatives who may or may not work together.

21. grd4

Dec 11, 2013
    I'm aware of the difference, but it's incumbent on the Squad to provide some sort of barrier against corporatist-inspired legislation as well as clarion calls for a broader national debate (which, if impassioned and popular enough, could force members of the broader, amorphous CPC to at least sweat a bit). Their resistance to this appalling anti-labor action was underwhelming, to say the least.

Like many fellow activists, I've become completely disenchanted with the majority of Squad members. With few exceptions--Rashida Tlaib the most notable--they just don't have the verve and guile to challenge the leadership.

22. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    They don't have the numbers in most cases.

23. grd4

Dec 11, 2013
    There's an intensely lively debate on this at Bad Faith. Ryan Grim's heart is in the right place, but Kshama Sawant makes mincemeat out of his arguments.

24. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    To progressives (and soc dems) it feels like the squad "betrayed" rail workers, but us far left tankies know it's not a betrayal: capitalists, of any kind, are never on the side of labor.

25. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

Definitely feel this.. I'm home recovering from a surgery right now and have another day off still. Maybe one more. And a week next year for another surgery.

Can't imagine having ONE sick day.